TABLES IN WONDERLAND COST

We’ve always bought the card over the phone, but this year I’m a bit behind and it looks like I will need to purchase it onsite as our trip is only ten days away. Does the 13 month window still apply if purchasing onsite as opposed to over the phone which may allow for the lead time to get your actual card?
When we bought ours at the MK, we got one year exactly. It didn't affect us since we wouldn't have been there during the 13th months any way. But if you are planning on 13 months, be aware this might happen.

Tiw also discounts the food courts at Values and moderates, as well as the qs at SSR and the ones at AK park.

It pulls the discount pre-tax, then you’re taxed on the discounted amount.

I know this thread is few months old, but thought I'd post my question here. I have the TIW card under my name and pay the majority of our sit down meals.

For this upcoming trip I was unable to use my credit card (don't know issues, Disney just didn't want to take my money for once) on our pre-paid reservations for Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha so my partner used his card to pre-pay.

I read the card needs to be same name as person paying. Does this mean we wont be able to show the TIW card and get the discount applied to his credit card on the day? We picked the late shows for this reason and I am looking to save wherever I can seeing as I went over budget on hotel stay...LOL. I will cancel and try rebook if this is the case but it will involve having to call dining due to the website still not accepting my card.

I would simply explain.

If you call, how long does it take for the plastic card to come? Im going July 19th and I'm interested in purchasing but I don't want to be stuck without a card if thats the case

The whole 13 month thing was created to give people time to order and receive the card so they can have 12 months of use, since the card is “live” when shipped. It should get there in time because shipping methods have gotten better over the years.

Actually you need to spend a bit more if you have an annual pass (10%ish savings at some restaurants).

I buy APs for admission, not discounts, so I don’t feel the need to offset the AP discount. Or DVC discount for that matter.

When we bought ours at the MK, we got one year exactly. It didn't affect us since we wouldn't have been there during the 13th months any way. But if you are planning on 13 months, be aware this might happen.

You could almost certainly get that fixed if you choose.

If you call, how long does it take for the plastic card to come? Im going July 19th and I'm interested in purchasing but I don't want to be stuck without a card if thats the case
I just ordered my plastic card replacement. They said 2-3 weeks

I just ordered my plastic card replacement. They said 2-3 weeks

I just called yesterday to purchase and they quoted me the same amount of time. I am about 4 weeks out so I should be good! They said if I dont get it by that last week to call and they would help me figure something out. So fingers crossed it comes sooner rather than later! :flower1:

Have a great time on you WDW vaca. where are you eating?

Tiw also discounts the food courts at Values and moderates, as well as the qs at SSR and the ones at AK park.

It pulls the discount pre-tax, then you’re taxed on the discounted amount.

I would simply explain.

The whole 13 month thing was created to give people time to order and receive the card so they can have 12 months of use, since the card is “live” when shipped. It should get there in time because shipping methods have gotten better over the years.

I buy APs for admission, not discounts, so I don’t feel the need to offset the AP discount. Or DVC discount for that matter.

You could almost certainly get that fixed if you choose.
Your comment about APs for admission not discounts makes zero sense in this context.

I will say that I downloaded the 'mouse perks' app, it quickly shows me who accepts which discount (DVC/AP/TiW), what the % discount is, whether there is a specific meal restriction (I.e. lunch only), & where it is park/resort/Disney springs. It also shows the same for shopping & tours. Happy discounted dining :thumbsup2

I will say that I downloaded the 'mouse perks' app, it quickly shows me who accepts which discount (DVC/AP/TiW), what the % discount is, whether there is a specific meal restriction (I.e. lunch only), & where it is park/resort/Disney springs. It also shows the same for shopping & tours. Happy discounted dining :thumbsup2
mouse perks? Doesn’t seem to be available in the iPhone App Store.

mouse perks? Doesn’t seem to be available in the iPhone App Store.

Yep, seems so. I went to their website & it only has a link for android app >:(, maybe you could pin the website to your home page?

I posted this a while back... Since the value of TIW changes based on your typical tipping amount and impacts tax calculation, here's a nice formula to help.

TIW gives a 20% discount and adds an 18% gratuity. The cost is $150 for one card. Tax on food is 6.5% (exception: all star resorts).

We can calculate the savings by first taking your normal spend (S) and normal gratiuty percentage (G) which gives us your cost of a meal (C)
Code:
C = (1.065 * S) + (G * S)

We can then calculate the discounted cost of a meal
Code:
(Cd) Cd = (1.065 * (.8S)) + (.18S)

[Note: TIW gratuity is added on the pre-discount total but taxes apply to the post-discount total and tips are not taxed (for you)].

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

Your break-even is found when $s is equal to the cost of TIW. If you want to know how much that is, plug in your personal gratuity percentage and solve for S.

As an example, let's assume that you already tip the TIW amount of 18%, which is expressed as 0.18. We can then solve for 150 = .18S + 0.033S, which simplified to 150 = 0.213S and results in a required spend S of $704.23 before you break even.

Alternatively, you can calculate your savings with 1 - (Cd / C) which looks like
Code:
 1 - (((1.065 * (.8S)) + (.18S)) / ((1.065 * S) + (G * S)))

With our example of a standard 18% tip, your savings is 1-0.828916 or 17%.

If you typically tip below 18%, your break even point will be higher. If you typically tip above 18%, you'll either have a lower break-even point if you accept the standard tip or a higher break-even point if you add additional gratuity.

E: Someone correct me if I did that math wrong. I'm bored at lunch and did this on a napkin.

E2: You also get free valet parking and theme park parking with TIW. We could get more complicated by averaging your spend per visit and calculating the added savings of X free parkings, but that might make the math a bit harder to read and I don't think most people think that way. Just assume the breakpoint is a bit lower than above if you make trips just to eat. You also get some cool events which may add some value that is more difficult to quantify.

I posted this a while back... Since the value of TIW changes based on your typical tipping amount and impacts tax calculation, here's a nice formula to help.
m
TIW gives a 20% discount and adds an 18% gratuity. The cost is $150 for one card. Tax on food is 6.5% (exception: all star resorts).

We can calculate the savings by first taking your normal spend (S) and normal gratiuty percentage (G) which gives us your cost of a meal (C)
Code:

Code:

[Note: TIW gratuity is added on the pre-discount total but taxes apply to the post-discount total and tips are not taxed (for you)].

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

Your break-even is found when $s is equal to the cost of TIW. If you want to know how much that is, plug in your personal gratuity percentage and solve for S.

As an example, let's assume that you already tip the TIW amount of 18%, which is expressed as 0.18. We can then solve for 150 = .18S + 0.033S, which simplified to 150 = 0.213S and results in a required spend S of $704.23 before you break even.

Alternatively, you can calculate your savings with 1 - (Cd / C) which looks like
Code:

If you typically tip below 18%, your break even point will be higher. If you typically tip above 18%, you'll either have a lower break-even point if you accept the standard tip or a higher break-even point if you add additional gratuity.

E: Someone correct me if I did that math wrong. I'm bored at lunch and did this on a napkin.

E2: You also get free valet parking and theme park parking with TIW. We could get more complicated by averaging your spend per visit and calculating the added savings of X free parkings, but that might make the math a bit harder to read and I don't think most people think that way. Just assume the breakpoint is a bit lower than above if you make trips just to eat. You also get some cool events which may add some value that is more difficult to quantify.

Code:

Code:

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

Code:

Great post! The fact that you often forgo a 10% AP or DVC discount that has no required gratuity when you use TiW instead makes everything even more complicated.

I know this thread is few months old, but thought I'd post my question here. I have the TIW card under my name and pay the majority of our sit down meals.

For this upcoming trip I was unable to use my credit card (don't know issues, Disney just didn't want to take my money for once) on our pre-paid reservations for Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha so my partner used his card to pre-pay.

I read the card needs to be same name as person paying. Does this mean we wont be able to show the TIW card and get the discount applied to his credit card on the day? We picked the late shows for this reason and I am looking to save wherever I can seeing as I went over budget on hotel stay...LOL. I will cancel and try rebook if this is the case but it will involve having to call dining due to the website still not accepting my card.

I accidentally forgot to switch to my card when booking the luau online recently. I too am going to try and explain when asking for the discount. If the CM won't apply it, I will ask for the entire price to be refunded and then recharged on my card with my name on it. I really do not think it will be a huge problem. I think I have only been asked for ID one time while using the TiW card over the past two years.

Additionally, Spirit of Aloha and Hoop Dee Doo determine your seat based on when you booked the ADR. If you booked a few days/weeks/etc ago, cancelling and rebooking now will put you behind other people in your view category.

I accidentally forgot to switch to my card when booking the luau online recently. I too am going to try and explain when asking for the discount. If the CM won't apply it, I will ask for the entire price to be refunded and then recharged on my card with my name on it. I really do not think it will be a huge problem. I think I have only been asked for ID one time while using the TiW card over the past two years.

Additionally, Spirit of Aloha and Hoop Dee Doo determine your seat based on when you booked the ADR. If you booked a few days/weeks/etc ago, cancelling and rebooking now will put you behind other people in your view category.
Yeah my partner convinced me not to rebook as we were able to get refund for CRT last year even though he pre-paid and TIW is in my name so hopefully we get lucky again. I like your idea to request full refund and then reapply if they won't accept. I think they would gladly accept then otherwise they are creating more work for themselves LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter