• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Take the pledge to continue to wear a mask during the Covid - 19 pandemic

This is the United States not China. China doesn't need any preaching. They just tell you what to do and you obey otherwise you get arrested. In the United States we have far more freedom. Preaching is necessary since no one is going to be arrested and thrown in jail for not wearing a mask. Our county relies on social pressure to get more people to conform and hence all of the preaching. Somewhat like when seat belts were mandated and drunk driving laws were stiffened a generation ago. We increased seat belt use not through any heavy handed government regulations but more by using social pressure to get people to conform. I am glad we live in a country that has far more freedoms and am willing to tolerate a constant stream of social media posts in lieu of a society where the central government is all controlling.
Nope, seat belts are a bad analogy. People wear them because it's law.

Nope, seat belts are a bad analogy. People wear them because it's law.

Yes but that law is not widely enforced. It wasn't until a public education campaign was launched that seat belt use significantly increased.

Using a cell phone while driving is also another example. That is against the law but it is going to take public education to reduce that problem. We can't expect the police to pull over and ticket everyone using a cell phone.

I partly made this thread because of stories like this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corona...-worse-world-health-organization-chief-warns/
When I say we are all in this together, I mean the whole human race in the world. America and other influential countries have to take this seriously. It's up to the citizens to set the right example when the government can't. The more others wear the masks, social distance and wash hands, the more others are more likely to be pressured to do so as well in a positive way. 🇺🇸 🌎🌍🌏😷

When I say we are all in this together, I mean the whole human race in the world. America and other influential countries have to take this seriously. It's up to the citizens to set the right example when the government can't. The more others wear the masks, social distance and wash hands, the more others are more likely to be pressured to do so as well in a positive way. 🇺🇸 🌎🌍🌏😷

I agree. Everyone should wear a mask every time they are out in public. (I do.) Including kids when they go back to school. Let your kids get used to wearing them now, because chances are, we’ll need to do so for a long time. Realistically, at least another year, possibly two. No, it’s not fun, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Unfortunately, a big problem in the United States is that we are not united at all; we are very divided. It’s really disheartening to me, how a worldwide health crisis of this magnitude can be shaped so much by politics. Something I never would’ve imagined before this year. :worried:

I think people that don't wear masks are being foolish and stubborn unless they have a valid reason for not wearing one. That would be my opinion and it would be the end of it, except that the people not wearing masks are not only fooling around with their own lives but mine as well. It's like trusting a stranger with your children. Sure, they *might* be perfectly fine...but then again they might not. How many people are willing to take a chance like that?

I hate that you cant buy or sale anything without wearing the mark of the mask , not arguing the worth of it (not in this post) But I just hate the Government proclaiming there right to tell us what we do

The government exist to help and protect the people while enforcing the rule of law in an appropriate matter. While it does not exist to abuse the public, it does have the right to impose safety measures (CDC) that have been proven to work. I get the frustration but think of all the other pandemics of the past that could have been prevented faster if people put each other first for once. 😷

This is the United States not China. China doesn't need any preaching. They just tell you what to do and you obey otherwise you get arrested. In the United States we have far more freedom. Preaching is necessary since no one is going to be arrested and thrown in jail for not wearing a mask. Our county relies on social pressure to get more people to conform and hence all of the preaching. Somewhat like when seat belts were mandated and drunk driving laws were stiffened a generation ago. We increased seat belt use not through any heavy handed government regulations but more by using social pressure to get people to conform. I am glad we live in a country that has far more freedoms and am willing to tolerate a constant stream of social media posts in lieu of a society where the central government is all controlling.

I am not defending a Communist country, but...............my son who has lived in Beijing for 2 years teaching English and is still there CAN NOT UNDERSTAND what the H is happening here in the USA. He's 27 and every weeks call he tells us to be careful.

I hate that you cant buy or sale anything without wearing the mark of the mask , not arguing the worth of it (not in this post) But I just hate the Government proclaiming there right to tell us what we do

Do you feel that way about all mandates and laws or just this one?

The government tells you what to do all.of.the.time. Do you wear your seatbelt? You know the government tells you to do that. Do you pay taxes? The government tells you to do that. Is your home built to certain standards? The government told the builder to do that.

Yes but that law is not widely enforced. It wasn't until a public education campaign was launched that seat belt use significantly increased.

Using a cell phone while driving is also another example. That is against the law but it is going to take public education to reduce that problem. We can't expect the police to pull over and ticket everyone using a cell phone.
Why not? Here the fine is £200 plus six points on your licence and if you have passed your test less than two years you lose your licence immediately.
Imagine the revenue they could raise from the fines. It would make buying a hands free product seem cheap by comparison.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter