Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

Brett-

After reading your post, I think I need to rethink this whole thing. I'm about to head to Costco, so maybe that will give me time to think about it again. :lmao:

I don't have to bank my 2014 points for my Aug 2015 trip cuz that will be in my Dec UY. I'm just having a hard time figuring out my extra 2014 points and booking in Jan 2016 with the possibility with switching my resort to one which uses less points than SSR. popcorn::

OK, I think I get all of this, but then the "DVC Sensei" Norm befuddled me a bit. So I am going to give my interpretation and see if I actually understand things.

Bank the 2014 points and book BCV for a total of 136 points. You are left with a balance of 17 points to use from UY 2014.

You need a studio for Marathon in Jan. 2016. B\c you are smart like me;), you plan to hold a reservation at your home resort (better to have one at a resort you don;t prefer versus not having one at all!)I'll assume that the month that you get your points coincides appropriately and you can use your 2014 points in 2016.

Now, the room you'll "hold" is 42 points. 42-17=25.
So you use your 17 banked points and then 25 from 2015. Those aren't borrowed. Regardless, though, if you used 25 and then realized that you only needed 19 or 20, they should simply return the points to you 2015 use year. I'd just make sure to call and verify how the points are allocated. I have noted previously (it may have been on the DVC group on FB) that you need to pay special attention to how GS allocates points. They are not nearly as concerned about how the they come up with the total amount of points as we the members.

I was assuming the 136 points don't start until Dec. If those are 2014 UY points, they don't start until Dec this year. Thus, he won't have to bank those. He'll be able to use those in Jan/Feb 2015 to book Aug 2015 at BCV.

I agree that he should also book 2016 marathon at SSR in Feb 2016 as well at 11 month window. He would have to bank the remaining 17 points to UY 2016 and use them first.

Did I get the assumptions wrong? Will Tim stop by or is he too busy photoshopping his snow pictures?

Brett-

After reading your post, I think I need to rethink this whole thing. I'm about to head to Costco, so maybe that will give me time to think about it again. :lmao:

I don't have to bank my 2014 points for my Aug 2015 trip cuz that will be in my Dec UY. I'm just having a hard time figuring out my extra 2014 points and booking in Jan 2016 with the possibility with switching my resort to one which uses less points than SSR. popcorn::

17 remaining points will expire Nov 30, 2015.

Banking them forward expires in Nov 30, 2016.

Book the BCV first at 7 month mark in January? (7 month)

17 left over.

In Feb, call MS and have 17 banked to UY 2015.

Book SSR for Jan 2016 with first 17 banked points. Isn't OKW 8-10 points a night? Even if you change resorts, you will use all those banked points in 2 nights.

I was assuming the 136 points don't start until Dec. If those are 2014 UY points, they don't start until Dec this year. Thus, he won't have to bank those. He'll be able to use those in Jan/Feb 2015 to book Aug 2015 at BCV.

I agree that he should also book 2016 marathon at SSR in Feb 2016 as well at 11 month window. He would have to bank the remaining 17 points to UY 2016 and use them first.

Did I get the assumptions wrong? Will Tim stop by or is he too busy photoshopping his snow pictures?

As I read through and try to make sense of all this, I hear circus music in the background.

Wait...PhotoShop? Which part was photoshopped? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Ok, so 136 will be used within the 2014 UY (despite it being in August 2015). Again, these terms only make sense to us. LOL.

Now, back to the remaining 17 points. The end state is still banking them to the 2015 UY. So, if I have things right, the January 16th trip for the marathon will actually be within your 2015 UY. <Imagine me saying this as if I were Sherlock Holmes explaining how I solved the mystery>

So the way it plays out is that you would use the 17 banked points and pull the rest from 2015. Assuming that you end up at the desired resort for less points, they should move the borrowed points back to the UY from where they came.

But DO make sure that they book with your banked points first!

EDIT: I inquired with DVC about this (I wouldn't have been able to move on with my day until I got an answer) but if I recall correctly from a personal experience, I am 99.9% certain that they'll put the points back to their UY, but those points have to then be used within the current UY and can't be banked. I'll post back as soon as I hear from the DVC.

Yes, this is correct.

OK... I think it all has come together for me.

Since the Jan 2016 marathon trip is in my 2015 UY, I will have to bank my remaining 2014 points to 2015. That is, if I am able to get BCV for 8 days in August at the 7 month booking window, which would be in January. If I cannot get BCV, then I could possibly have more points (if we stay somewhere like AKV), or less points (if I have to stay somewhere else or am forced to get a 1BR)

I just pose.... I let others download my pictures to their computers and do the editing. Hopefully some of their wives will stumble upon the pictures and there will be lots of explaining to do.

17 remaining points will expire Nov 30, 2015.

Banking them forward expires in Nov 30, 2016.

Book the BCV first at 7 month mark in January? (7 month)

17 left over.

In Feb, call MS and have 17 banked to UY 2015.

Book SSR for Jan 2016 with first 17 banked points. Isn't OKW 8-10 points a night? Even if you change resorts, you will use all those banked points in 2 nights.
This sounds right...

So once I secure my Aug reservations I can bank whatever is left over to 2015. Then I can book SSR for the 3 nights, and if I can change to OKW or AKV (which would both be less points than SSR) then the 17 banked points will still be used and the difference would be returned to my 2015 UY points.

As I read through and try to make sense of all this, I hear circus music in the background.

Wait...PhotoShop? Which part was photoshopped? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
The bacon dish towel was photoshopped..... :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

Ok, so 136 will be used within the 2014 UY (despite it being in August 2015). Again, these terms only make sense to us. LOL.
::yes::

Now, back to the remaining 17 points. The end state is still banking them to the 2015 UY. So, if I have things right, the January 16th trip for the marathon will actually be within your 2015 UY. <Imagine me saying this as if I were Sherlock Holmes explaining how I solved the mystery>
::yes::

So the way it plays out is that you would use the 17 banked points and pull the rest from 2015. Assuming that you end up at the desired resort for less points, they should move the borrowed points back to the UY from where they came.
No. They should use my banked 17 points then move my 2015 UY points back to my current 2015 UY

But DO make sure that they book with your banked points first!
Exactly. I'm guessing I'd have to call to do this.

EDIT: I inquired with DVC about this (I wouldn't have been able to move on with my day until I got an answer) but if I recall correctly from a personal experience, I am 99.9% certain that they'll put the points back to their UY, but those points have to then be used within the current UY and can't be banked. I'll post back as soon as I hear from the DVC.
Are you on the phone with them? :confused3 popcorn::

The bacon dish towel was photoshopped..... :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1
I'm not sure that this response makes it easier or more difficult to accept that image. LOL. I think my retinas are still healing. I think next year we need to wrap some bylaws around our photoblitz. Haha.

I'm not sure that this response makes it easier or more difficult to accept that image. LOL. I think my retinas are still healing. I think next year we need to wrap some bylaws around our photoblitz. Haha.

I was trying to get people to up their photoblitz game. I guess I went a little too far. But I was stuffed from eating all day. There were only so many plates of food I could look at. :rotfl2:

No. They should use my banked 17 points then move my 2015 UY points back to my current 2015 UY
Yeah, I misstated that. But you are correct. They'd just return the unused points back to where they belong.

Are you on the phone with them? :confused3 popcorn::
I shot them an e-mail.

I did come across some other board, not even sure what it was...found it when googling. They stated there that DVC policy is to us banked points first automatically. They also stated that they could reallocate points at the 7 month window versus re-booking your trip. This is a biggie and I'm not buying into what they said.
Essentially, I could use my BLT points at 11 months and then swap out some and sue my SSR points. And I personally have seen where I had to call them back and tell them to use my banked points. Perhaps things have changed since I had that experience.

I shot them an e-mail.

I did come across some other board, not even sure what it was...found it when googling. They stated there that DVC policy is to us banked points first automatically. They also stated that they could reallocate points at the 7 month window versus re-booking your trip. This is a biggie and I'm not buying into what they said.
Essentially, I could use my BLT points at 11 months and then swap out some and sue my SSR points. And I personally have seen where I had to call them back and tell them to use my banked points. Perhaps things have changed since I had that experience.

I've read that some CMs reallocate points but that isn't policy so it could be hit or miss.

I wonder what would happen if I book my Jan 2016 trip more than 7 months out at SSR, then at the 7 month window, book somewhere else. Could I call MS to cancel my first reservation then have them use the 17 banked points from my SSR reservation?

So once I secure my Aug reservations I can bank whatever is left over to 2015. Then I can book SSR for the 3 nights, and if I can change to OKW or AKV (which would both be less points than SSR) then the 17 banked points will still be used and the difference would be returned to my 2015 UY points.

Yes. And, it is very doubtful you will only use 17 points for the entire weekend, regardless of where you stay.

Yeah, I misstated that. But you are correct. They'd just return the unused points back to where they belong.

:thumbsup2

I wonder what would happen if I book my Jan 2016 trip more than 7 months out at SSR, then at the 7 month window, book somewhere else. Could I call MS to cancel my first reservation then have them use the 17 banked points from my SSR reservation?

I wouldn't do it. Once banked always banked. Once borrowed always borrowed. You might get a one time reprieve if you plead ignorance, but it would be a one time only deal.

More importantly, you will have to cancel one night of your BCV reservation and then re-add that same night using other points. There is the chance that in that 5 second computer processing, another DVC member could get the last available studio. Then, the resort would be booked up and you would have to wait list that one night, change your flight, or do a split stay and move to another resort for that one night.

You guys are giving me a headache trying to follow the different scenarios. It is like I am doing word problems in math.

You guys are giving me a headache trying to follow the different scenarios. It is like I am doing word problems in math.

Mine wasn't two scenarios. I just double spaced my sentences and eliminated the justification.

I usually don't ring in on other's point management, because frankly, it is just way too much work for me to figure out UY, banking window, etc that is different from mine. :lmao:

But, since Tim sent me that beer, I figured I would help him out. It does get easier over the years. The website has helped by including banking time frames and booking windows.

Yes. And, it is very doubtful you will only use 17 points for the entire weekend, regardless of where you stay.
Exactly. Probably about 35 staying at OKW.

I wouldn't do it. Once banked always banked. Once borrowed always borrowed. You might get a one time reprieve if you plead ignorance, but it would be a one time only deal.
So I can't cancel a reservation that includes banked points?

Don't those banked points just go back to the use year that they are banked (in my case my banked 2014 points into 2015?)

More importantly, you will have to cancel one night of your BCV reservation and then re-add that same night using other points. There is the chance that in that 5 second computer processing, another DVC member could get the last available studio. Then, the resort would be booked up and you would have to wait list that one night, change your flight, or do a split stay and move to another resort for that one night.
You've lost me here. :confused3

I have a headache too...

I should find myself an adult beverage.

I usually don't ring in on other's point management, because frankly, it is just way too much work for me to figure out UY, banking window, etc that is different from mine. :lmao:
Listen, I asked for help. Doesn't mean I have to follow what you are telling me. :rotfl2:

But, since Tim sent me that beer, I figured I would help him out. It does get easier over the years. The website has helped by including banking time frames and booking windows.
Thanks brother. Hopefully I can get all this crap figured out. We are trying to save some points using studios for the next 1 1/2 years before we are forced into 1BRs.

So I can't cancel a reservation that includes banked points?

Don't those banked points just go back to the use year that they are banked (in my case my banked 2014 points into 2015?)

You can cancel the reservation, but the points stay borrowed or banked. Once you bank or borrow points, they stay "trapped" in that New UY, never to return to the original. If you don't use them by the end of that year moved into, then they are gone.

That was why I recommended using the majority of those 2014 points for the August trip, and then bank the remaining forward. Also, the banking window for you is June 30. That is why most people recommend a UY that you can travel most often with. If you needed to cancel the reservation before that window, then you could bank your points over to next UY. I've heard of MS giving people a reprieve for a death or one time mistake, but that not guarenteed.

You've lost me here. :confused3

Thanks brother. Hopefully I can get all this crap figured out. We are trying to save some points using studios for the next 1 1/2 years before we are forced into 1BRs.

Glad to help. This part is a little more confusing. When you book your seven nights for 136 points, each night has that specific # of points assigned. It is not uncommon for DVC members to alter those days - adding a night, subtracting a night, changing resorts, etc - based on whatever reason.

Adding nights is not a problem as long as you have the points and the resort has availability. But, when you want to alter your reservation to change resorts, MS will actually cancel those specific number of nights of that stay and then add the other nights.

For an example, I had booked BWV for 6 nights. I wanted to change it to 3 nights at BWV and 3 nights at VBR. I checked VBR availability, and there were rooms available at all three views, so I felt confident there was availability. When I called MS, they cancelled 3 nights of my BWV stay, returned those points to my account, booked the 3 nights at VBR, and used the needed amount of points for that stay. While that process took seconds on the computer, technically, I only had three nights booked for a vacation. If another DVC member was talking to MS or was on the computer, my new reservation could have been booked, and my old reservation days were returned to the pool of points, and someone else could book BWV. I would have been SOL with only 3 nights booked for the vacation. I would have had to hope to find another dvc resort, submit a waitlist, shorten my stay, or pay cash for rooms. Does that make sense?

Thus, the reason I suggested using the points that way (book BCV then SSR) was to prevent you from having the week at BCV, calling to "cancel" a night and then re-book the same night with borrowed points, only to find that one night had been booked by someone else. You would then have to change your airfare or stay at two different resorts the same trip (one for one night).

There are a couple of work arounds. But, I'll try not to completely overwhelm you. Brett is right. Where is that circus music coming from? :lmao:

You can cancel the reservation, but the points stay borrowed or banked. Once you bank or borrow points, they stay "trapped" in that New UY, never to return to the original. If you don't use them by the end of that year moved into, then they are gone.
Got that...

That was why I recommended using the majority of those 2014 points for the August trip, and then bank the remaining forward. Also, the banking window for you is June 30. That is why most people recommend a UY that you can travel most often with. If you needed to cancel the reservation before that window, then you could bank your points over to next UY. I've heard of MS giving people a reprieve for a death or one time mistake, but that not guaranteed.
We've traveled to WDW at all different times of the year- Jan, Feb, March, Sept, Oct, Nov, & Dec. This will be our first time going in the summer. So I really don't know what UY is truly the 'best' for us.

I can bank up till July 31st. That is my 8th month.

So here is my plan....

Jan 2015- Book our August 2015 8 day trip. Our dates will be pretty set in stone.

Feb 2015- Bank our remaining 2014 points (hopefully we will have some to bank), then book our January 2016 3 day trip at SSR.

June (7 or 8th) 2015- Try to see if OKW is available... cancel 1/16 SSR reservation and book elsewhere. If not, wait list our reservation.

Glad to help. This part is a little more confusing. When you book your seven nights for 136 points, each night has that specific # of points assigned. It is not uncommon for DVC members to alter those days - adding a night, subtracting a night, changing resorts, etc - based on whatever reason.

Adding nights is not a problem as long as you have the points and the resort has availability. But, when you want to alter your reservation to change resorts, MS will actually cancel those specific number of nights of that stay and then add the other nights.
Got all this....

For an example, I had booked BWV for 6 nights. I wanted to change it to 3 nights at BWV and 3 nights at VBR. I checked VBR availability, and there were rooms available at all three views, so I felt confident there was availability. When I called MS, they cancelled 3 nights of my BWV stay, returned those points to my account, booked the 3 nights at VBR, and used the needed amount of points for that stay. While that process took seconds on the computer, technically, I only had three nights booked for a vacation. If another DVC member was talking to MS or was on the computer, my new reservation could have been booked, and my old reservation days were returned to the pool of points, and someone else could book BWV. Does that make sense?
Yes, totally understand this.

Thus, the reason I suggested using the points that way (book BCV then SSR) was to prevent you from having the week at BCV, calling to "cancel" a night and then re-book the same night with borrowed points, only to find that one night had been booked by someone else. You would then have to change your airfare or stay at two different resorts the same trip (one for one night).
I see what you are saying but we are trying to stay at 1 resort for the 8 days in August 2015.

It was the 3 night Jan 2016 trip that I was going to book SSR before the 7 month mark to assure I had a reservation, then trying for OKW so I can use less points.

Finally, that is why it recommended to use that 7 month window to book rooms early. One option to get around this is to use additional points or to borrow points at 7 month mark to get the desired new resort before cancelling the original reservation. Then, bank the other points forward. I never do this because I don't want to lock in points by banking or borrowing. There is another option that a supervisor can do that doesn't involve you cancelling/re-booking points. But, I have not asked for that as I get what I want at the 7 month mark or just stay at my home resort.
I agree with the banking/borrowing. I'd hate to bank/borrow points just to have 2 reservations at the same time.

We've traveled to WDW at all different times of the year- Jan, Feb, March, Sept, Oct, Nov, & Dec. This will be our first time going in the summer. So I really don't know what UY is truly the 'best' for us.

Originally, I was concerned aböut the UY. But, over 40 years, your life is going to change. We originally did ours in September so we could take October vacations which worked great for the last decade. Now, it looks like summer months may be our choice for the next decade.

I see what you are saying but we are trying to stay at 1 resort for the 8 days in August 2015.

It was the 3 night Jan 2016 trip that I was going to book SSR before the 7 month mark to assure I had a reservation, then trying for OKW so I can use less points.

I guess I misread one of your earlier posts. I thought you were thinking about changing your BCV reservation after you booked it. I didn't want you to lose it.

Ok, so my inquiry to DVC via email was answered but I did not pose the question correctly:crazy2:

Much like my mis stated lines above re: borrowing, the same applies here. I essentially asked if you borrow 20 points for a room, but then change and only need 15 points, what happens to the difference?

The answer is that any time points are borrowed, it is considered a final transaction and the points will remain in the use year into which they were borrowed.

For the record, I strongly disagree with that approach. For example, I book a 2BR bc there's no 1BR available. It costs me 20 more points. Then my wait list comes in and I get a 1BR for less points. I'm screwed with the extra points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter