• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Dole Whips...

I just had my first Dole Whip on Sunday. It was delicious and refreshing. But I think calling it 'soft serve' is misleading. It's much more like soft sorbet. Like the sorbet texture at the self serve fro-yo places. I kept thinking it was going to be creamy and it wasn't. That actually made it more refreshing I think.

We didn't get to have one on our 2014 trip! We will get one though in about 7.5 months.

I just had my first Dole Whip on Sunday. It was delicious and refreshing. But I think calling it 'soft serve' is misleading. It's much more like soft sorbet. Like the sorbet texture at the self serve fro-yo places. I kept thinking it was going to be creamy and it wasn't. That actually made it more refreshing I think.

That's the best term for it since it's not ice cream and yes technically it is kind of a sobert but thats too fancy of a word. But it does have ingredients that make it closer to ice cream.

Last edited:
Its not creamy because they don't use any dairy. They use Sodium Caseinate and various "gums" Cellulose, Locust Bean, Guar, Xanthan, Karaya Gum, Pectin.

Its not creamy because they don't use any dairy. They use Sodium Caseinate and various "gums" Cellulose, Locust Bean, Guar, Xanthan, Karaya Gum, Pectin.

I've always thought it tasted creamy.

Thanks for all the Dole Whip info! The best news is that I can get it with rum and even better coconut rum! Yummmyyy!! Can't wait to try one. Although our 2 AK days are both mornings only...how early is too early to ask for the rum?!:crazy2:

There is no true pineapple in it, so there are no chunks. The most recent ingredient list I find (http://www.dolesoftserve.com/prod-info.cfm) shows pineapple juice powder being the only pineapple in it. It's not ice cream or yogurt, either. It's actually dairy free (totally vegan). It's just "soft serve".
oh wow, did not know this. so now no more guilty, and Iwill have more on our next trip.

Seriously. Who wants to send me a Dole Whip right now?

Thanks for all the Dole Whip info! The best news is that I can get it with rum and even better coconut rum! Yummmyyy!! Can't wait to try one. Although our 2 AK days are both mornings only...how early is too early to ask for the rum?!:crazy2:

Just think of it as a Disney version of a Mimosa. Breakfast appropriate in my book. ;)

There is no true pineapple in it, so there are no chunks. The most recent ingredient list I find (http://www.dolesoftserve.com/prod-info.cfm) shows pineapple juice powder being the only pineapple in it. It's not ice cream or yogurt, either. It's actually dairy free (totally vegan). It's just "soft serve".

Not totally

Scroll down and you will see that the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors, that Aloha Isle also sells, have Sodium Caseinate a milk derivative. So Vegans and those with milk allergies be aware that only the fruit flavors are dairy free and therefor vegan.

While they clean out the mixing buckets from batch to batch, I don't think they segregate the buckets between fruit and non fruit flavors so theoretically there can be cross contamination. Also since the machines are dual nozzle not sure if that can come into play.

Too early? Fruit and juice are healthy, so really, it's part of a balanced and nutritious breakfast…especially if you choose coconut rum. Right?

I do NOT like to eat pineapple. It's not so much the flavor, I just don't like the texture of the actual pineapple pieces. Do the Dole whips have pineapple pieces in them? If so are they pureed or actual chunks? I know this sounds like an odd question, but as far as flavor goes, they have sounded pretty delicious. I do drink pineapple juice occasionally and love pina coladas. Are they more of a soft serve ice cream texture or a drink? Thinking I may like to try one this trip...
I love dole whips! The dole whip float is just pineapple juice with soft serve dole whip (which is just like soft serve). No chunks in anything :) The only critique I'd have is that sometimes the pineapple juice seems just room temp...especially in the summer, it would be much better ice cold!

The little ice cream shack by my house serves Dole Whips (Not called that, but it's the exact same thing) but I refuse to eat them. Dole Whips are a Disney Only Thing. :P

If Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all combined to become one thing, it would be a Dole Whip.

I wish they could overnight them to me!

Try your local frozen yogurt shop. They often carry Dole Whip (pineapple flavor!). I have two "chain" fro-yo shops near my house, and both carry Dole Whips occasionally.

The little ice cream shack by my house serves Dole Whips (Not called that, but it's the exact same thing) but I refuse to eat them. Dole Whips are a Disney Only Thing. :P

Dole stopped calling it Dole Whip years ago but Disney never changed the name. Maybe it's to fool people into thinking it's different

I am certianly in the minority here as I do not like dole whips.I have tried one and threw it away.Not sure if was made wrong but it was horrible.But then again I didnt like its a small world either!

Not totally

Scroll down and you will see that the Vanilla and Chocolate flavors, that Aloha Isle also sells, have Sodium Caseinate a milk derivative. So Vegans and those with milk allergies be aware that only the fruit flavors are dairy free and therefor vegan.

While they clean out the mixing buckets from batch to batch, I don't think they segregate the buckets between fruit and non fruit flavors so theoretically there can be cross contamination. Also since the machines are dual nozzle not sure if that can come into play.

We were talking about the pineapple flavor, so that is what my answer was about.

I'm vegetarian and it's on me solely that I make sure of ingredients. For vegans, I would hope they are the same way. (PSA about Disney desserts, check for gelatin in them.)

We have other ingredient issues, and dole has changed their ingredients in this product at least three times since I first had one in '07. They used to have corn syrup solids, which causes misery in my household. Now all but one flavor got rid of that beastly (for many people) ingredient. It's on us to make sure we are having the flavor without the CS solids. :)

I am certianly in the minority here as I do not like dole whips.I have tried one and threw it away.Not sure if was made wrong but it was horrible.But then again I didnt like its a small world either!

Like I said above they have changed their ingredients several times. I had one in November and they taste a lot better than they used to. In 07 I felt they tasted like I imagine pineapple flavor melted plastic would taste like. I didn't get the impression last time thank goodness.

If you've never been on small world at Disneyland, try it. I love it so much more there than at MK. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter