Tell me it is ok to splurge on a on a Disneyland Hotel

At Christmas, we love the Fantasy Tower. But all 3 towers are decorated!!
I thought about requesting the Fantasy tower. Then I made the mistake of watching some Youtube videos of standard rooms at DLH. The one in the video overlooked the roof of the canopy over the front entrance. I now think I'm going to request the Adventure tower, although I'm a little concerned about the noise from DTD over the weekend.

Isn't it funny how the perspective changes? When we swapped from WDW to DLR it drove me nuts to have to wait until 60 days to plan anything. Now I just hit my 60 days for DLR and I'm a little annoyed with having to commit to some plans. :laughing:
I rarely make any reservations more than 15 days out. Thanksgiving is an exception (as will Christmas dinner.) I think that is why the whole WDW stresses me. I don't know how I am going to be feeling? My next trip is in 3 weeks, other than hotel, nothing planned.... Will do it on the fly. I booked our rooms at WDW, and turned everything over to someone else, with their knowledge "This is what I might like..." We are staying the first 2 nights at AKL, then moving for a week at Bay Lakes. No clue other than that. Oh, and I am booking a car.... The rest is up to them.

I thought about requesting the Fantasy tower. Then I made the mistake of watching some Youtube videos of standard rooms at DLH. The one in the video overlooked the roof of the canopy over the front entrance. I now think I'm going to request the Adventure tower, although I'm a little concerned about the noise from DTD over the weekend.
Most of the rooms in the Adventure Tower are classified "Deluxe" since they face the DTD and the pool, so that may or may not be available to you. The Frontier also has standard rooms, but a lot overlook the back parking. Make a request and hope for an upgrade?

Just a standard room. Trust me just staying on property is huge for me.
Can i ask for a specific tower/area? If so which one? I will take whatever they give being that it is xmas/nye and it will be booked but just in case lol.

No, that's great! I love all the rooms - I was just being nosy. :thumbsup2

You can request a tower, but it's not guaranteed. You'd just call the reservation hotline and make the request.

As for which tower - Adventure tower is closest to DTD, but usually standard rooms aren't in it. Frontier tower is furthest away from DTD, followed by Fantasy tower. Chances are good that you'll end up with a parking lot view so those are going to be the option on towers when they assign you a room. I would, personally, request a Fantasy tower room. We've stayed in Frontier tower a lot lately, by chance, and it's really not much more walking than anywhere on the property, but it seems further when you're tired.

On the other hand, Frontier is closer to the kiddie pool side of things and Tarrangoa Terrace/Trader Sam's.

Basically, either one will do. :rotfl:

ETA: Definitely tell them it's your first stay at the hotel and hope for some magic!

I rarely make any reservations more than 15 days out. Thanksgiving is an exception (as will Christmas dinner.) I think that is why the whole WDW stresses me. I don't know how I am going to be feeling? My next trip is in 3 weeks, other than hotel, nothing planned.... Will do it on the fly. I booked our rooms at WDW, and turned everything over to someone else, with their knowledge "This is what I might like..." We are staying the first 2 nights at AKL, then moving for a week at Bay Lakes. No clue other than that. Oh, and I am booking a car.... The rest is up to them.

I'm with you. We usually just wing it - no reservations, unless there is something special going on (birthday, etc.).

Does anyone know what coffee maker DLH has?
Do they have somewhere we can pick up a quick breakfast besides club level?

No, that's great! I love all the rooms - I was just being nosy. :thumbsup2

You can request a tower, but it's not guaranteed. You'd just call the reservation hotline and make the request.

As for which tower - Adventure tower is closest to DTD, but usually standard rooms aren't in it. Frontier tower is furthest away from DTD, followed by Fantasy tower. Chances are good that you'll end up with a parking lot view so those are going to be the option on towers when they assign you a room. I would, personally, request a Fantasy tower room. We've stayed in Frontier tower a lot lately, by chance, and it's really not much more walking than anywhere on the property, but it seems further when you're tired.

On the other hand, Frontier is closer to the kiddie pool side of things and Tarrangoa Terrace/Trader Sam's.

Basically, either one will do. :rotfl:

ETA: Definitely tell them it's your first stay at the hotel and hope for some magic!

Should i make this request before we leave or when we get arrive? I was already panning on telling them it is our first stay just in case they wanted to sprinkle some pixie dust on us.:tinker:

I would like to be close to the pool or as close as one can be But would give that up for a better view.

The way I look at it is that you only live once so why not enjoy yourself. I say do it and have a great time.

Does anyone know what coffee maker DLH has?
Do they have somewhere we can pick up a quick breakfast besides club level?

I, unfortunately, do not remember what coffee maker it is.

The Coffee House has some very limited options (bagels, donuts, etc.). As you walk through DTD there are several quick options (Earl of Sandwich is one) you can grab on your to the gate.

Should i make this request before we leave or when we get arrive? I was already panning on telling them it is our first stay just in case they wanted to sprinkle some pixie dust on us.:tinker:

I would like to be close to the pool or as close as one can be But would give that up for a better view.

It's my understanding that the DL hotels assign your room about a week - two weeks before check-in. I've called and requested towers on occasion, at least two weeks out, and lucked out. I've also called later than that and lucked out. I've called and had it be denied too. But I've never lucked out asking at the desk... In fact, I've only ever had one magical thing happen to us upon arrival since we started staying there four years ago. We had booked a quick overnight trip on our way home from Carlsbad, and got upgraded to the Pirates of the Caribbean suite. I doubt that happens often, but you never know!

Honestly, the pool is central. No matter what tower you're in, there's a gate to the pool on each side.

And if you walk back via the Grand, Frontier Tower is the closest tower! Yes, it is 2 mins further in the grand scheme of things, but it really is a nice tower.

Gotta say I have stayed on and off property and the DLH is my absolute favorite. We used to love the PPH and found it a good compromise price-wise, but now that cutting through the Grand isn't allowed, it's a much longer walk than the Best Western across the street is. The Grand is awesome and close, of course, but it's not as "in-your-face" Disney as the DLH. If it were me, I would make a list (cuz that's what I do). Like let's say you have $1000. Would you rather spend 2 nights at the DLH or 5 nights at the Best Western? Or maybe you want one night at the DLH and 3 at the Best Western? Or the pool and magic are worth the extra money no matter what.

On our last trip we decided that the $1500 we saved by staying in the BW could buy us a lot of 'magic.' It was the best choice for us because it meant a longer trip and more fun adventures & souvenirs. The biggest downside for me was the pool (just average) and walking out of the magic every day. If I could swing it, I would splurge. But my sensible side says more park time and more shopping are worth a less magical hotel.

We divide up our DLR stays on and off property. (I refuse to say on or off "site," because we've also stayed at the Tropicana, and know what it is to stay immediately across the street.) We have stayed at PPH and DLH, always using them for the final days of our trip, to go out on a high.
PPH
We stayed at PPH when they still allowed you to use GC's entrance--and never used it because the line was always SO long that it was quicker to walk to the main entrance and enter there in the morning! (We did use the GC for an exit, though, mainly just because we love the GC lobby.) PPH is OK. Pool is not special at all--but the view is. We booked a parkview room, and that is amazing, day and night, every moment you are in the room. Definitely underrated part of PPH.
DLH
I liked it just fine, but thought that PPH was better bang for the buck. The headboard is neat, but you're over it in a minute, unlike the PPH view. However, I knew I would feel like this, and we stayed at DLH for only two nights, knowing what I really needed it for: the pool. I only paid what we did because I committed us to a Pool Afternoon with a cabana booked. That was a great, relaxing day. I fell asleep in the cabana after our ordered lunch...and a big mixed drink. It was a comfy place and shaded, which is important for me, as I am not one to bake in the sun.

So I would stay on property at the end, choosing a hotel based on what perks, amenities, etc. matter to you. I know some people detest split stays, but I find it really helpful, getting you gathered back up, doing heavy re-packing before it's really the end of the trip. We just take out a little for the couple of days at the new place, and we had a chance to go back to the first place for forgotten items.

Gotta say I have stayed on and off property and the DLH is my absolute favorite. We used to love the PPH and found it a good compromise price-wise, but now that cutting through the Grand isn't allowed, it's a much longer walk than the Best Western across the street is. The Grand is awesome and close, of course, but it's not as "in-your-face" Disney as the DLH. If it were me, I would make a list (cuz that's what I do). Like let's say you have $1000. Would you rather spend 2 nights at the DLH or 5 nights at the Best Western? Or maybe you want one night at the DLH and 3 at the Best Western? Or the pool and magic are worth the extra money no matter what.

On our last trip we decided that the $1500 we saved by staying in the BW could buy us a lot of 'magic.' It was the best choice for us because it meant a longer trip and more fun adventures & souvenirs. The biggest downside for me was the pool (just average) and walking out of the magic every day. If I could swing it, I would splurge. But my sensible side says more park time and more shopping are worth a less magical hotel.

We were think about staying at PPH but my heart was set on DLH. The pool and the not being able to cut through GCH made my choice easier.
We wouldn't stay at the BW anyways. We had the hotel booked at the Marriott but i would book 3 days at a dlh instead of 5 at bw. I do think that it is about the whole experience and being in that little bubble. I can't wait. Having to always either walk 15 min or take a shuttle to DTD does take out a bit of the fun.

If we didn't spend it on the DLH it still would not go to shopping. I never spend more than maybe $300 and that is mostly things i bring back to others. Now what we do spend money on is food. I do not even really have a budget that i try to stick to. We always do Goofys kitchen and this time we are doing Minnie's. And possibly storytellers brunch. But that would already be included in what i am spending. I would love to do BB or an of the other more"adult" restaurants but DD is picky and we will have another 6 yr old with us. So there really is no way i would spend an extra $1000 on food.

Which is what brought me to the conclusion to just do it. Honestly i switched to the DLH yesterday and it was torture not being able to tell DD or DH. DD for some reason loves hotels. She loves the pools and room service and every time we walk past DLH to go to goofys kitchen she ask if we can stay there next time. I can not even imagine how surprised she will be.

My sensible side would say I don't "NEED" to stay there, but like others have said we can't take it all with us.

I'm going through the same thing, I have several off site hotels booked at this point, but I am really considering a split stay between whichever offsite hotel I'm considering (right now it's the Hyatt Regency in Garden Grove) for 3 nights, and then DLH for 3 nights. I don't think PPH is even available for our time frame, and if it is, I don't think the different is that much $ wise, but it may be the difference between a premium view room @ PPH or standard @ DLH. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving, so I was thinking it would make a difference our last 3 nights, including Thanksgiving itself, which would be our last day.

Have a great time!

I know we are in the minority, but my family prefers PPH to DLH. All of us. We stayed at DLH once, because we were worried we were missing something, but we all missed PPH and are very glad to be returning for this year’s Christmas visit.

I'm going through the same thing, I have several off site hotels booked at this point, but I am really considering a split stay between whichever offsite hotel I'm considering (right now it's the Hyatt Regency in Garden Grove) for 3 nights, and then DLH for 3 nights. I don't think PPH is even available for our time frame, and if it is, I don't think the different is that much $ wise, but it may be the difference between a premium view room @ PPH or standard @ DLH. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving, so I was thinking it would make a difference our last 3 nights, including Thanksgiving itself, which would be our last day.

Have a great time!
If I had to choose between a premium view at PPH and a standard view at DLH, I’d do premium view everytime. Although that’s true for me/is no matter where we stay. A nice view is always better than no view. And the WOC view rooms at PPH really are magical. Definitely prefer them over the pool view at DLH.

If I had to choose between a premium view at PPH and a standard view at DLH, I’d do premium view everytime. Although that’s true for me/is no matter where we stay. A nice view is always better than no view. And the WOC view rooms at PPH really are magical. Definitely prefer them over the pool view at DLH.
I already have DLH booked but I did look in to the PPH premium view which was only about $200 less for the whole stay. If the savings was a bit higher I might try it out. But my heart has always been set to stay at DLH out of all 3 and DD is going to love the pool and the whole feel. The Park view at PPH does look amazing but I asked my self would i rather stay at DLH and find out it really inst what i hoped for or stay at PPH and be disappointed that i didn't choose DLH.

We stayed here last weekend, and the view of WOC was amazing, and worth the grumpy guff DH gave about the long walk to the park! It was nice having 2 Starbucks to grab a coffee from on the way in. And the monorail into Disneyland was a really easy.

I already have DLH booked but I did look in to the PPH premium view which was only about $200 less for the whole stay. If the savings was a bit higher I might try it out. But my heart has always been set to stay at DLH out of all 3 and DD is going to love the pool and the whole feel. The Park view at PPH does look amazing but I asked my self would i rather stay at DLH and find out it really inst what i hoped for or stay at PPH and be disappointed that i didn't choose DLH.
Everyone should stay at DLH once in their lifetime. Lots of folks prefer it. We like PPH for a few reasons that make sense for our family of 6. We like the view; we do concierge, which you pay for by room/suite and it makes sense for us at $75 a day for all six of us; we like the extra room. Definitely bigger rooms in the same categories, although, once you get into the suites, it’s not that big of a difference, or at least it doesn’t really seem to matter so much.
You will love DLH. My mama has dreamt of staying there since she was a little girl and we do NOT regret it all.

We have stayed at all three resorts. Each are lovely and special in their own way. GCH is my favorite only because of location and I like having a balcony. Next for us would be PPH (especially when you could walk across and through the GCH...which is disappointing that you cannot do that now, even as a DLR guest paying $400 a night for a standard PPH room lol). PPH view rooms are great, and while the pool is less then wonderful.. for a winter trip we really don't miss it. DLH is great too but it's size can make your room location an important factor in distance to the parks (the PPH walk is a wash if you end up in DLH Frontier Tower).

We have done DLH the days between Christmas and New Years. You will have a great time. We were lucky and had an amazing DTD view in the Adventure Tower with a fireworks view from room. If it is warm, sunny and nice pool weather try to get to the pool early to stake out a spot. We stayed DLH this last June (standard room and we were one of those rooms right over the entrance room mpadilla alluded to... it wasn't bad :) ...don't look down lol)...anyway the pool was a mad house (and in all honesty it has been every time we have stayed at the DLH). So if it is nice and warm on your trip and you want to further splurge do the cabana!! We have done the GCH pool cabana's and it was the highlight of our trip on that particular trip.

Also some of the standard view rooms in the Fantasy Tower have a great view of fireworks and if you request a high floor you can see the rides in DL...so you may just love your standard view!!!

Have a wonderful trip!

I had totally planned to stay onsite for the first time until I discovered that for $700 to $800 per night I cannot choose the room I want. Totally unacceptable to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter