Thanksgiving Foods You Dislike

I don't like any of the Thanksgiving foods. I would rather eat a steak than some bland piece of turkey.

I can’t stand cranberry sauce, turnips, yam and parsnips. Love pumpkin pie!

I haven't ever eaten green bean casserole or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and I'm forever grateful for that.

We have done the brown sugar topping for so long that I am not sure I have ever eaten the ones with marshmallows either.

Yesterday we had Thanksgiving with mil and family. There were two kinds of sweet potatoes, one with marshmallows but the sweet potatoes had turned this dark color and didn’t look appetizing at all so I didn’t try them. The others my sil made and they were halved and some kind of syrup on them. They were not as sweet as they looked and were pretty good.

Turkey-we are having ham instead this year after years of roasting the thing to barely eat any at dinner and turning it into enchiladas and other green chili enhanced dishes after the fact.
anything made from canned sweet potatos/yams-fresh ones roasted and mashed with a bit of butter and real maple syrup are so good-why sugar syrup and marshmellow them to death
anything creamed-my mother in law god rest her insisted on creamed cauliflower at every holiday meal :crazy2:
I have a texture issue with mashed potatoes.

I'm right there with you on this. My top list of Thanksgiving foods I don't like:

• any sort of yam or sweet potato dish
  • butternut squash
  • anything with turnips in it
  • this disgusting pearl onion thing my mom would make every Thanksgiving. Gag me with a spoon!
  • green bean casserole in any form
  • pumpkin pie
  • homemade cranberry sauce. Give me the fake jellied stuff in the can!
  • this disgusting thing my MIL used to make (she retired from making it, thank goodness) that she calls "cranberry relish." It's in a Jello mold sort of format. But it has the following ingredients suspended in it: walnuts, almonds, celery, grapes, carrots, and uncooked bits of fresh cranberry. It's like nuts and twigs suspended in cranberry jello. MIL was the only one who used to eat it. LOL

Ugh - I was just reminiscing about the pearl onions my mom used to make. DH's family doesn't do them, and I don't see my family at holidays anymore. I loooooooove them! I could probably attempt them, but nothing is ever good as mom's...

I'm not overly fond of turkey unless it is well done, I like it DRY.

I MUCH prefer dry turkey, too!!

Here's something that should make your family want to drink bleach.
Creamed pearl onions. DIE TRADITION DIE!!!! Just don't. Nobody likes these any more. I doubt anyone ever did.

I have loved the creamed pearl onions since childhood. That and creamed cauliflower. Mainstays at our holidays and I miss them SO much!

I like it all except no turkey for me being vegetarian (I still like it, just will not eat it any longer). The main dish for the vegetarians this year will be a quinoa chickpea cranberry stuffed squash.

YES! Recipe for the stuffed squash? Veg who misses turkey and loves cranberry!

Until this thread I had no idea so many people hated sweet potatoes. I see them on so many menus now ( baked sweet potato, sweet potato fries). This seems to be a prime time for sweet potato lovers. I understand they are quite healthy also. ( Minus all the sugar and butter though, but they say the same thing about white potatoes; they’re healthy without the butter, sour cream, cheese, etc).
I love sweet potatoes. I eat them multiple times a week - chopped and roasted with different spices, smashed with butter, garlic, and parmesan. I don't eat them at Thanksgiving because I don't like sweet potatoes made even sweeter with marshmallows, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc

hate Pumpkin Pie, Dark meat turkey, stuffing with any kind of meat in it-my cousin puts sausage and cheese in it and that is just nasty!

The only "traditional" Thanksgiving dish I don't eat is Green Bean Casserole. I don't guess any of us do because no one has ever requested it or offered it make it.
And I don't like pumpkin pie but around here sweet potato pie is the orange pie at Thanksgiving, most people don't do pumpkin.

No marshmallows on the sweet potatoes. Much prefer the praline topping. Have to watch and not get it too sweet though.

Creamed peas with pearl onions (never had the onions alone), here that is more of a spring dish and ONLY made with fresh, just picked out of the garden peas. If potatoes are added, they are also fresh from the garden new potatoes.

And we like our dressing, rolls and all desserts to be made from scratch. Well, except the pie crusts because Pillsbury just makes them too good for me to go through all that. DD is making the pecan pies this year and plans to make the crust herself. I predict that she will make them next year too and sneak in those same Pillsbury crusts she grew up with! LOL

Regular dressing should not have meat. No oysters and NO giblets. The only exception is if I make Crawfish Dressing in addition to the regular dressing and it, of course has crawfish. Well, except when I have to buy crawfish tails out of the freezer section at Walmart and then they become shrimp because crawfish are too expensive. Still really good though.
My mil makes a green bean & artichoke casserole. It tastes like the stuffed artichokes that are commonly sold in seafood markets here. I hated green bean casserole til I ate that! Now we request it year round anytime we have a potluck type get-together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter