The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

I had to book 2 different site types, 65 ft and 80 ft, to get my full stay reserved. It feels way too much like a Disney trip fight for all the reservations.

The biggest ressie I'm keeping my eye out on the calendar for is touring the Delta-01 site at Minuteman Missile Natl Hist Site. NPS just closed the tour for maintenance with no projected reopening date. In COVID times it was only 6 people per tour. Like trying to score a RotR boarding group.

Hope rest of your stuff is falling into place.
Referring to the site just north of Badlands NP?

We were looking at touring Badlands from out of Rapid City. Likely catching the silo on way out of Badlands on 420 before hitting interstate back to Rapid City. Maybe stop and tour on our way from Sioux Falls to Rapid City as I see on map they have oversized parking.

Last edited:
We were looking at touring Badlands from out of Rapid City. Likely catching the silo on way out of Badlands on 420 before hitting interstate back to Rapid City. Maybe stop and tour on our way from Sioux Falls to Rapid City as I see on map they have oversized parking.

Yes there were several RV/Bus spots in the visitor center parking lot when we visited in 2019. The visitor center is quite interesting and the Delta-09 site a few miles down I-80 could be a good stop for lunch if you had your rigs with you. It's just off the interstate and is surrounded by Buffalo Gap Natl Grassland. You could do the self-guided tour in 10-20 minutes and then take your time with lunch.

We're trying to get back for the Delta-01 tour where you actually get to go down in the silo and tour the facilities above ground.

Im thin
Yes there were several RV/Bus spots in the visitor center parking lot when we visited in 2019. The visitor center is quite interesting and the Delta-09 site a few miles down I-80 could be a good stop for lunch if you had your rigs with you. It's just off the interstate and is surrounded by Buffalo Gap Natl Grassland. You could do the self-guided tour in 10-20 minutes and then take your time with lunch.

We're trying to get back for the Delta-01 tour where you actually get to go down in the silo and tour the facilities above ground.
Thinking the visitor center on our way into rapid city. Doesn't look like much parking at launch site so we will see if we can schedule a tour on our day we are nearby in Badlands.

Im thin

Thinking the visitor center on our way into rapid city. Doesn't look like much parking at launch site so we will see if we can schedule a tour on our day we are nearby in Badlands.

You might be mixing up the Delta-01 (ticketed tour, not a lot of parking) with Delta-09 (self guided, plenty of parking). Here is a link to Delta-09

We dropped our RV at the Badlands Trading post, lots of parking, exit 131 at the Visitors Center. Don't forget to stop at exit 110 for Wall Drug, best hot beefs west of the Missouri River.

Saw both. Delta 1 was the one that looked small. Delta 9 the one we wanna shoot for?

If you are just trying to cruise through, Delta-09 (accompanied by the visitor center) is your stop. It gives you perspective of what the missile site looked like and how close the network of missile sites were to everyday life. It's a 10-20 minute stop depending if you want to dial into the self-guided tour number and listen to every second of the info from NPS. Delta-01 requires hard to get tickets and is an hour plus tour.

Since you were saying you'd have your rigs with you...you guys could easily go to the visitor center and do all the things there and stop off at Delta-09 and throw out the slides and make lunch either in the Delta-09 parking lot or you could drive into the Buffalo Gap Natl Grassland, which is adjacent to the Delta-09 site. There is a cattle gate RIGHT next to the site.

You could easily bypass Delta-09 and the world wouldn't come to a screeching halt. However, after seeing the visitor center, hitting Delta-09 put things described in the VC into perspective.

I'm researching some possible quick stops along the way. Gotta hunt up some train stuff too.

I see there is an "1880 village" along I90 for instance.

I'm researching some possible quick stops along the way. Gotta hunt up some train stuff too.

ozjaj-gif.560315

Tell me your route again and where you need trains and we can find you some trains, dear boy.

Ed 🚂

ace car.gif

Well, it has varied a few times, but by the last meeting of "The Minds" we are leaving Meridian, MS and going west on I20 to Vicksburg. There we'll take over Hwy 61 going North up to Rolling Fork, MS. Over to Hwy 1 and then Hwy 82 across the Mississippi. Hwy 65 to Pine Bluff, then on to Little Rock and I40. Over to I49 and all the way up to Kansas City. From there it's I29 all the way to Sioux Falls.

Need a little breather...
AIRPLANE 2 (57).JPG

Out of Sioux Falls we'll ride I90 to Rapid City and stay for 3 nights. Then I90 on to Bozeman. Hwy 191 to West Yellowstone for 5 nights then down to Grand Teton for 2 nights. After that the trip home is not 100% planned out. Probably down to Cheyenne then East back over to Kansas City and then same route back home. Trip home will be between 3 and 4 days.

I've spotted a few potential locations, mainly in South Dakota. Afraid DW and DDs might threaten me with bodily harm if I spend too much time. Tell ya what Ed, I'll do my best to give you some good ideas on locations so you and DW can plan that retirement adventure.

Last edited:

I see there is an "1880 village" along I90 for instance.

1880 town at Belvidere SD, exit 170 off I-90. you can rent costumes for pictures, the horse from Dances with wolves, (filmed in the area north of I-90) used to live here, he died several years ago. Might be closed due to Covid

FYI Belvidere east KOA has/had the best Indian tacos on the planet. Sad thing is places closed along I-90 (petrified gardens) due to covid staffing issues, crossing the Missouri at Chamberlin is one of the highlights along I-90 in SD. ( I live along I-90 in Illinois, frequent travel route, we can make Rapid City in 2 days drive)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter