The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

@tiggerdad, there is a 1880 train in Hill City about 30 miles south of I-90 on scenic route 16, nice train ride to keystone and back, it is a steam engine. Also there used to be a Santa Fe "rail dining car" at the 1880 town. Food was not good though, we were there the fall before covid-2019

@tiggerdad, there is a 1880 train in Hill City about 30 miles south of I-90 on scenic route 16, nice train ride to keystone and back, it is a steam engine. Also there used to be a Santa Fe "rail dining car" at the 1880 town. Food was not good though, we were there the fall before covid-2019
I've seen steam train ride from Keystone to Deadwood and we'll be staying in area. Will certainly give it a try if possible.

Seeing if we'll fit through Needles Eye in Custer State Park. :scared:

On your way home to Meridian leaving Grand Teton NP area, you can choose several routes that are almost equidistant. One is down towards Denver, CO on I25 and about 50 miles WEST of Denver is the town of Georgetown with the Georgetown Loop RR.

https://www.georgetownlooprr.com/

Probably a good fit for your time schedule. Rides every 90 minutes and not very long. But very twisty, curvy, with elevation changes and I bet plenty of smoke, cinders, whistles, and photo opps.

Steam train rides fall into two categories: the short (30-120 minutes) variety or the long (half- to whole-day ride) variety. Given your commitments to getting from Point A to Point B during your trip, the short ones are your best bet.

If you can work this one in, it gets good reviews for the short rides.

I'll keep looking.

ED

Last edited:
Tell ya what Ed, I'll do my best to give you some good ideas on locations so you and DW can plan that retirement adventure.

Focus on your family, tiggerdad. DW and I don't have the big western swing on our retirement bucket list.

I do want to get to the Phoenix area maybe Spring 2023 for MLB spring training baseball. I'd swing down through Louisiana to eat my way through Lafayette both ways, stop in San Antonio to see The Riverwalk and The Alamo, then hit the taco places Part-Time-Paradise recommends on the way through El Paso.

DW has expressed an interest in New England in the fall. So that is also a destination to consider.

I've been to San Fran, Hawaii, Napa, Disneyland, Vegas, and the Rockies. So we good out that direction (other than spring training). The rest doesn't really grab me.

Still concerned for you re: all that distance driving home from Grand Teton NP over 3-4 days but that just makes me a Nervous Nellie I guess. But I do support you taking all the family trips while you can before your kids get older and schedules become more difficult to coordinate.

Bama Ed

PS - Would like to head back to Europe again or visit the Holy Land some day. But I can't tow my camper that far.

Thats also happens near starved rock, (dis meet of past) we had to quit sking in the river about 15 years ago

Last edited:
BTW, ran into a bind with DW today, I introduced her as my ex-girlfriend of 32 years, she's not appreciative of my quick wit and stand up quality humor

I had similar trouble, @team bradfield, when I introduced DW as "my first wife" (and she's the only wife I've ever had). Did not go over well.

ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter