The cost to hobby

I like to read too, and have been using kindle unlimited for about $7 a month. I re-upped my subscription on black Friday when they ran a deal. If I get bored with what's there I plan on trying out the local library. I haven't been to them since I moved to my current area.
Our local library has overdrive,which changed my life! (I LOVE to read!!!) free kindle books for 14 days to download,as many as I want!!!!(well technically it's limited but you know) you should check it out and its FREE
Oh I forgot my past craftiness obsession with buttons,and button crafts. I still have a few jars full left from that.....now I would look for cool buttons at Goodwill etc that were attached to clothing.....

I suppose my hobbies are painting, repurposing (with crafting), and making cards. I keep the cost down by never having time to do them! lol

Our local library has overdrive,which changed my life! (I LOVE to read!!!) free kindle books for 14 days to download,as many as I want!!!!(well technically it's limited but you know) you should check it out and its FREE
Oh I forgot my past craftiness obsession with buttons,and button crafts. I still have a few jars full left from that.....now I would look for cool buttons at Goodwill etc that were attached to clothing.....

If those buttons are on an angora sweater, you'd get a twofer with the PP who re-purposes yarn...

On the sewing--don't knock older machines! As a PP said, you mostly use straight or zigzag stitch--even a 60yo machine will have these. While newer machines have fancy features and might be easier to thread, they also tend to be cheaper quality. You might have luck finding a good, basic machine at Goodwill--you could always upgrade later if you get more serious. My parents gave me a refurbished machine from the 50's when I was a teen--it lasted until about 15 years ago. Then DH got me a good one on sale at Sears, that had been returned (so the box had been opened--additional discount).

Now, my DD14 has my MIL's old machine. Again, not fancy, not pretty, probably 50 years old, but a good starter machine--DD can't break it! And it made MIL feel good, that it was getting some use.

As to cheap fabrics--good luck! Shop sales and the remnant bins. If you're just learning, stick with simple fabrics--fleece is very forgiving. It doesn't fray. Even DS11 can make his own fleece sleep pants. Flannel and other cotton-rich fabrics are also great for learning. Move on to fancier stuff once you gain confidence.

I'm a huge crafter, and luckily our current home has room for me to have a large craft room--surprisingly, everyone seems to love having this space, because they know they can find glue or tape or whatever they might need. I make elaborate Christmas ornaments--the stuff for these can get pricey--and basically anything. A few other projects in the works right now are a weather scarf for my DD22, coasters for DD22, and a crocheting project. I'm a big fan of "found art", which helps to keep the cost down. For example, the coasters are made from a map of Venice from our travels this summer--traveling is NOT a cheap hobby! But I saved a bunch of brochures, maps, ticket stubs, fancy paper bags, etc., and have been using the fancy Italian stuff in my crafts.

Those old Machines are built to last. When we were visiting a friend at here sewing store I saw a machines come in for adjustment. It was built in the early 50s

Last edited:

I got a cheap brother machine a few years back at walmart for $55..... it's basic,but it works well! I actually like it.
oh sweet! I can't decide if I want to buy a machine first or take some basic classes first. i'm leaning towards a class or two first though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter