The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

Thanks Joe.

I definitely want to get to one of these.

BTW, Donna asked if we were doing the seafood boil again. We are going to bring our deep fryer for a bunch of toasted ravioli and several Gooey Crack Cakes (Gooey Butter Cakes)

j

Michael, I love you overview of our fishing trip, I might just sit that one out.

Sorry I've haven't said much, this job I'm on now requiresthe boat to stay offshore two weeks at a time. I'm ready for GSP never the less! I'm going to have to get everything packed up this time I'm home, because I get home the day before check in next time!

PS. Ed, don't y'all make too much fun of my little camper I will be using, I'm borrowing my mom's fifthwheel.

Randy, you gonna be home around April 22nd or will you be out on boat?

The 22nd we are gonna try and have an ATV mud riding. If that doesn't line up then we're heading to Tuscaloosa for the A Day game.

I'll keep ya posted. If nothing else, ya can come up on Friday and we'll mud ride and then go to A-Day on Saturday.

Well Pixie Dust came today in the form of a phone call from Guest relations. I had written and email about my extreme disappointment on learning that they released and gave away all the Passholder preview slots for Pandora while I was driving home from Disney. The nice lady said there had been a very bad technical glitch and many people did not get notified. She said they had held back some Pixie Dust slots for special people and if didn't mind she would gave me one of those. I had my choice of dates after May 13th. I chose the evening of May 19th. Now all I have to do is get my self there. Bonus is it does not interfere with our group plans here.

Last edited:
Great to hear Joe!

Glad some pixie dust was blowing in your direction.

We expect a report, you know? Pictures are nice, but a narrative will do.

If I actually make it to Pandora there will be a report given but I think they are prohibiting pictures or video. I'm going to take my Go Pro so if possible I will use it.

Hi All,

I guess I will introduce myself here. My name is Mike and I have been lurking and (rarely) posting here for a couple of years. We love to camp at the Fort and recently purchased a 31' TT as our camper. We have literally been looking at buying an RV for a dozen years and after a tent camping trip to the Fort in February, I got motivated jumped into the camper owner's pool. We actually had a reservation at the Fort for Spring Break (March 27-31) but I cancelled it after I found a reservation at GSP that same week. We live about 30 minutes drive from GSP and I figured for the first trip in the new camper we would try something local first.

This was our second site (site 485) at Gulf State Park. The first site was 488 just across the road and we liked both sites. I preferred the site on the water just because I liked the view and there was a perfect breeze all day.

IMG_20170331_150159883_HDR-PANO.jpg

Here is a picture of the camper.
IMG_20170331_150222444_HDR.jpg

Our boys rode the bike trails for hours at a time and loved it. I also noticed the GSP path improvements are well underway. In fact, I would not be surprised if the walking path from the canal road to the pavilion is not complete by the time you all arrive in May/June. They are also building a walkway over Lake Shelby (connected at the campground road) to the fishing pier that was around 50% complete when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

I really wish we could meet up for the GSP Memorial Week trip, but alas, we will be back at the Fort in the new camper. When I cancelled the spring break Fort Wilderness trip we booked May 29 - June 10 (12 Nights) in a preferred site. This will be our fifth trip to the Fort and we are looking forward to relaxing by the pool and hanging out while the teens slay the parks. Our previous trips are listed below.

March 2002 - Cabin (2300 Loop)
March 2010 - Rented Class C (Site 1309)
February 2016 - Rented Class C (Site 330)
February 2017 - Tent Camping (2000 Loop)
May/June 2017 - Our TT (Loop - TBD)

I really appreciate all of you who share such valuable information and I hope I can be counted on in the future to share some of my knowledge and experience about the Fort and Disney in general. It pains me to admit, but we have been to Disney World every year since 1995 and each of my five kids celebrated their first birthdays on property. We have stayed in many/most of the resorts but have finally found our home away from home at the Fort.

DDo5 - aka Mike

Nice TT Mike. Look forward to hearing more about your trips... and Pictures.... We LOVE Pictures.

And of course you deserve an "official" :welcome: to the Camping forums.

Hi MIKE!

That picture of your site does look nice but whenever I walk by there and people have their pets outside, I worry about a gator in the water. Did you see any while you were there?

30 minutes from Gulf? So that most likely puts home for you in Fairhope or Spanish Fort or somewhere else there on the Eastern Shore. Very nice area and it's still growing.

You'll have a great time at the Fort in May. I know you've been there in the tent and rentals but you will quickly come to enjoy of sleeping at "home" while you are on vacation. I call my camper the nth bedroom of my house (3 BR at home so the camper is the 4th BR).

The Florida Panhandle has some nice state parks I've always wanted to try but sometimes it's tough to get a weekend unless you plan well in advance. But being down near the coast, you've got alternatives. Heck, I enjoyed camping at Maeher State Park along the highway between Mobile and the Eastern Shore and watching the cars go by out on the interstate waterway bridges at night.

Inquiring minds want to know what restaurants you ate at in Gulf Shores too.

:welcome: and don't be a stranger. :disrocks:

Bama Ed

PS - oh, no guarantees but hopefully a DIS Meet at GSP will continue in the near future....

Hey Mike, and welcome aboard.

Good looking setup you got there. Hate you won't be in the area when we are at GSP, but you'll be living it up so I won't feel sorry for you.

Keep posting around, we always like for new people to join in and maybe you can get together with us next year.

Welcome Mike.

Nice looking camper and great site at GSP. I can see why you moved over by the water.

Sorry you can't make the GSP trip in May, but enjoy all 12 days at the Fort. We will be heading to the Fort in September. There are several of us on here that will be down around the same time. You're welcome to join us!

j

Hi MIKE!

That picture of your site does look nice but whenever I walk by there and people have their pets outside, I worry about a gator in the water. Did you see any while you were there?

30 minutes from Gulf? So that most likely puts home for you in Fairhope or Spanish Fort or somewhere else there on the Eastern Shore. Very nice area and it's still growing.

Inquiring minds want to know what restaurants you ate at in Gulf Shores too.

Hi Ed,

You nailed it. I live in Fairhope. We did not see any gators there in the canal while we were there. Just a couple of boats trolling by and plenty of birds. Of course there are warnings all over about alligators, but we did not see a single one.

As for restaurants, this particular trip was more the "go pick up something fast" kind of trip as the kids had friends with them. Publix fried chicken, carryout from Pizza Hut and Zaxby's, and a night at Burger King. Not exactly cuisine to write about. However, we did go to Wolf Bay Lodge on the day we were leaving for Lunch. We have been eating here since the place was actually on Wolf Bay before the fire. We prefer the location in Orange Beach and my favorite meal is the Royal Reds. Of course, being so close to the beach we have eaten at A LOT of the restaurants. Tacky Jack fish tacos are one of my personal favorites "on the island". If you are looking for specific information about dining locations, I am a foodie at heart and will be glad to offer my thoughts.

DDo5 - AKA Mike

Hey Mike, and welcome aboard.

Good looking setup you got there. Hate you won't be in the area when we are at GSP, but you'll be living it up so I won't feel sorry for you.

Keep posting around, we always like for new people to join in and maybe you can get together with us next year.

Thanks Michael! I expect no sympathy from anyone on this board for a 12 day trip to the Fort. :-)

By the way, ROLL TIDE. Below is a picture of me at the 2010 BCS Championship game between Texas and Bama. I am the one in the middle. You might recognize the guy on the right....

19235_1324398830955_3321191_n.jpg

I look forward to sharing passions here on this board!

DDo5 - aka Mike

Welcome Mike.

Nice looking camper and great site at GSP. I can see why you moved over by the water.

Sorry you can't make the GSP trip in May, but enjoy all 12 days at the Fort. We will be heading to the Fort in September. There are several of us on here that will be down around the same time. You're welcome to join us!

j

Hi Teamubr.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to get to know everyone here and maybe stop by GSP for a quick visit before we leave on Memorial Day. Enjoy your trip to "God's Country" down here in south Alabama!

DDo5 - aka Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter