The NEW AP Rate Watch Thread, Are they out yet??

Everyone on this board should think about this: Disney did NOT decide overnight to refurb the POFQ. I am sure they have been planning this for quite sometime. With the hotel closing and all the reservations that they have taken for the next two years they might be using that extra discount money for the upgrades of the POFQ guests into deluxe hotels. There is a greater amount of money discounted to the deluxe hotels than to the value with AP rates and with fewer amount of moderate rooms I bet there will NOT be any AP rates this year. Disney is also building brand loyalty by upgrading the POFQ future guests to the deluxe catagory for as little as $10 a night. With these upgrades some of the newly transplanted deluxe guest will probably consider a deluxe on their next trip, hence creating a whole new class of potential deluxe guests. The only thing that bothers me is that a person who would not pay to stay at a deluxe will get a much lower price than someone like me who only stays at a deluxe.

I think what upsets me and maybe other AP holders is the fact that people that have only been once or maybe only called and checked on possibly staying at Disney are getting postcards that give them the same room I have at $20 or more less then I am paying.

You would think Disney would look at those people that they know continue to come yr after yr after year and do something to make us feel like they appreciate us.:confused: We are the ones that keep them in business yr after yr. Sure the first time people are probably in the majority but we are the folks they can count on when there are Wars, Layoffs, sickness, what ever you want to point to. We are also the folks that go to the parks and spend several thousand dollars once, twice sometimes more a yr.

Yes, I know about the Visa and I have it but at the same time I'm going to have to spend a whole wad of money to get anything worth while. My Discover gives me a much better return.

Sorry I guess I just needed to vent and all of you might not agree with me but that's how I feel. Give me at least a rate equal to what you are sending out on postcards. I'm the person that spends $800 a yr for 2 AP's. I'm also the person that goes on tours and eats at sit down restaurants and never leaves Disney once I get there.

Hi All, We are waiting too for the AP rates. We are a family of six having to make reservations at 2 rooms this year for the first time because of our family size. Just would like a cut a few more dollars off of our trip if the discount comes out. But our trip is in May for 20 days so if it doesn't come out I guess I'll just be happy with the discount I already have. And besides I haven't been in 2 and a half years because of having twins. So for that matter I'll be happy just to get away from our snowy,icestorms!! I need some good weather and the MOUSE!!!!

A Very Disney Family
:earsboy::earsgirl::earsboy::earsboy:
:earsboy::earsboy:

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Hello all....just a few remarks regarding the fact we have not gotten any ap rates yet. As many have already stated, the people that buy the ap's come back year after year....sometimes like ourselves every 4 months....and not just the parks but DCL also....we spend thousands a year in the parks, hotels, restarants, souviners, etc. Disney is big business...and I think a sound business move at this point in time is take care of the people who take care of you.....one hand washes the other....we are going on the Disney cruise on May 10th...7 nights on the ship and 2 nights in POR....$94.00 night is the best I could do....but many people have reported getting postcard rates lower than this....take care of us.....we do deserve to be taken care of first....and then people who come every 5 years....shame of it all is that we love the place so much even without the special rates we would go....and it is funny that I always felt uncomfortable buying the mug and bringing it back the next time and using it again.....but now, I don't feel guilty....as a matter of fact we use any mug, either DCL or any Disney resort mug in any Disney resort we are in....nobody says anything to us....and I don't feel like a thief.....so let the flames begin!
Anyway, we have to hold out and possibly with a little luck the rates will come out soon....just had to add my comments....anyone with positives or negatives please answer....sometimes a good debate is good.
Tom

We are going in May, and I was going to buy APs for my family if I could get an AP rate on the hotel. If Disney doesn't offer the AP rate, I won't buy APs. Therefore, I won't go as much. Economically speaking, it's down to a "rate of return." (yes, pun intended) ;)

Originally posted by sneezy1956
I think what upsets me and maybe other AP holders is the fact that people that have only been once or maybe only called and checked on possibly staying at Disney are getting postcards that give them the same room I have at $20 or more less then I am paying.

You would think Disney would look at those people that they know continue to come yr after yr after year and do something to make us feel like they appreciate us.:confused: We are the ones that keep them in business yr after yr. Sure the first time people are probably in the majority but we are the folks they can count on when there are Wars, Layoffs, sickness, what ever you want to point to. We are also the folks that go to the parks and spend several thousand dollars once, twice sometimes more a yr.

Yes, I know about the Visa and I have it but at the same time I'm going to have to spend a whole wad of money to get anything worth while. My Discover gives me a much better return.

Sorry I guess I just needed to vent and all of you might not agree with me but that's how I feel. Give me at least a rate equal to what you are sending out on postcards. I'm the person that spends $800 a yr for 2 AP's. I'm also the person that goes on tours and eats at sit down restaurants and never leaves Disney once I get there.

My mom is an AP holder and has went to WDW 3 times in the last year. She still got a postcard last month which I applied to our trip this month. I am also an AP holder and got a postcard last year. I don't think they are going by anything in particular about those postcards. I believe they are mailed out at random. Our postcard rate for this April-May for a GV room at the Poly was $221, including tax. I don't think if an AP rate comes out that it will beat that. The AP rate hasn't beaten code rates for the WL or Poly in the last 18 months. The public codes have been better then the AP rates.

The AP rate hasn't beaten code rates for the WL or Poly in the last 18 months.

I can't tell you every code that was out, but nothing I saw (and I watched pretty close) beat our rate for WL last Christmas.....$137 AP, courtyard view, before tax, 2 people. The current codes certainly don't come close to that.

Perhaps postcard rates are better, but it's been my understanding that postcard rates usually are. I've found that AP rates beat the publicly issued codes.

Originally posted by peachgirl
I can't tell you every code that was out, but nothing I saw (and I watched pretty close) beat our rate for WL last Christmas.....$137 AP, courtyard view, before tax, 2 people. The current codes certainly don't come close to that.

Perhaps postcard rates are better, but it's been my understanding that postcard rates usually are. I've found that AP rates beat the publicly issued codes.

When we went to the WL in May 2002 the AP rate for the WL woodview was $144. The public code was $134 for the same woodview. For the Poly in October 2002, the AP code was $216 for GV. The public code was $204. I didn't get a postcard for either of those trips so I have no idea what that would have been. So in those two instances the public codes were better then the AP rates. I thought I was doing good when I got the AP rates until I called about the public code and then switched to the better rate.

My parents received a post card a couple of years ago - which they did not use. They stayed with us at the Contemporay once, about 15 years ago - under our name. I had one of the free WDW planning vacation videos sent to them a couple of years ago - that must of been where Disney got their name & address from to send them the post card. Now - my husband & our family have been going to WDW since 1977 - the last few years we have gone 2 to 3 times a year - using some sort of discount - either Disney Club or Annual Pass (which is better than nothing - but we had to pay for the Club & annual pass in order to get the discount) - we have received 'one' post card & that was from the Vacation Club!! I agree, it sure would be nice to be 'recognized' as return guests & get 'special' offers!!! :teeth:

I suppose it just depends on when you're going as to what rates will be better. In my experience the AP rate was the best, in yours a public code was. I think the best current code has WL woodsview at $160. If a woodsview is $160, the courtyard view has to be close to $200 I would think. If they bothered to put out any AP rates, I would imagine they would be considerably better than that.

I'm not saying that AP rates are always better, but they are at the very least, sometimes better and have been quite recently.

Originally posted by skiwee1
My mom is an AP holder and has went to WDW 3 times in the last year. She still got a postcard last month which I applied to our trip this month. I am also an AP holder and got a postcard last year. I don't think they are going by anything in particular about those postcards. I believe they are mailed out at random. Our postcard rate for this April-May for a GV room at the Poly was $221, including tax. I don't think if an AP rate comes out that it will beat that. The AP rate hasn't beaten code rates for the WL or Poly in the last 18 months. The public codes have been better then the AP rates.

hi Terry
My gv view ap rate at poly in February was 179 per night:D

The best rate I've ever received for a GV at Poly is $189 tax included that was an AP rate in March of 2000. I really don't expect those kind of rates but it would sure be nice to at least get the rates that folks with postcards are getting:(

The AP rate for AKL concierge this March was $30 less per night than the code rate that was out. For POFQ in November 02 and CS in February 02 the AP rate was $10 per night less than the code rate that was out. Also, the AP rate has always beat any postcaard rate I have had at the time.

Also, the AP rate has always beat any postcard rate I have had at the time.

I can say without a doubt that AP rates have always beaten any postcard rates for us....since in the 15 years or so that we've been going to WDW we've never received a postcard!:( I really haven't kept close enough track of the rates reported by those who do get them, I just assumed they were better.

I was reading a few old threads from a year or so ago and there are many, many posts from people saying that AP rates are usually the most discounted rates available.

Originally posted by jillz
hi Terry
My gv view ap rate at poly in February was 179 per night:D

That's great! Was that including tax? Mine was $174 not including tax with the public code for the Poly but that was regular season in May. I didn't think it could get much better then that. This time we are paying $199 plus tax in April-May. I'm very happy with it!:D

Originally posted by peachgirl
I suppose it just depends on when you're going as to what rates will be better. In my experience the AP rate was the best, in yours a public code was. I think the best current code has WL woodsview at $160. If a woodsview is $160, the courtyard view has to be close to $200 I would think. If they bothered to put out any AP rates, I would imagine they would be considerably better than that.

I'm not saying that AP rates are always better, but they are at the very least, sometimes better and have been quite recently.

I think it has to do with when you are going also and how many rooms are available. In my experience and my dates and hotel choices the public rate has always beat the AP rate. Not that I'm complaining though as I just change it to the public code and get a good deal too!:D

Originally posted by DebbieB
Somewhere back on this thread or another one, I did a history of the MM and discount dates. They were usually for dates far after the publishing of the MM. For example, in Augusts MM last year, they announced rates for October to December. In Novembers, they announced Jan-mid February. Last year, AP rates for the end of April to the end of September, were announced around the end of January, which would have been in the February 2002 MM. They usually follow the Disney seasons. The next season is 4/27 to 7/3. So if they are going to have AP rates for the upcoming season, they will be much later than usual if they publish them after the season actually starts. Considering codes are valid until 7/3, they may skip right to the 7/3 to 9/30 season for AP's in the May MM.

Exactly. With the closing of one resort and codes already available for peak season/summer times - exactly.

Melissa

Originally posted by TChrist05
Hello all....just a few remarks regarding the fact we have not gotten any ap rates yet. As many have already stated, the people that buy the ap's come back year after year....sometimes like ourselves every 4 months....and not just the parks but DCL also....we spend thousands a year in the parks, hotels, restarants, souviners, etc. Disney is big business...and I think a sound business move at this point in time is take care of the people who take care of you.....one hand washes the other....we are going on the Disney cruise on May 10th...7 nights on the ship and 2 nights in POR....$94.00 night is the best I could do....but many people have reported getting postcard rates lower than this....take care of us.....we do deserve to be taken care of first....and then people who come every 5 years....shame of it all is that we love the place so much even without the special rates we would go....and it is funny that I always felt uncomfortable buying the mug and bringing it back the next time and using it again.....but now, I don't feel guilty....as a matter of fact we use any mug, either DCL or any Disney resort mug in any Disney resort we are in....nobody says anything to us....and I don't feel like a thief.....so let the flames begin!
Anyway, we have to hold out and possibly with a little luck the rates will come out soon....just had to add my comments....anyone with positives or negatives please answer....sometimes a good debate is good.
Tom

I don't believe I deserve to be treated any better or differently than any other WDW guest. I CHOSE to purchase an annual pass because we make frequent trips, if other discounts come along fine, but the main benefit is that it saves on the ticket cost - some people CHOOSE to buy them JUST for the discounts one per party and book the max number of rooms - has nothing to do with guest loyaltyor making return trips.

We spend thousands of dollars a year at WDW, but I guarantee that there are guests there for the first time or that only go once every few years that spend FAR MORE money than we do. Having an AP doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure that guests who pay full price or who don't have an AP believe (an rightly so) that they are entitled to the same experience AP holders are.

As far as return guest/loyal guest benefits - that is more the argument for or against the Disney Visa program. When they announced that DC was being done away with the replacement program was supposed to have been something that would tbe tailored to meet the individual guest needs and reward them based on their family preferences etc... What happened is Disney sold out to make the most possible money and in doing so possibly ostracized some of its most loyal guests.

Meilssa

Originally posted by MelissathePooh
I don't believe I deserve to be treated any better or differently than any other WDW guest. I CHOSE to purchase an annual pass because we make frequent trips, if other discounts come along fine, but the main benefit is that it saves on the ticket cost - some people CHOOSE to buy them JUST for the discounts one per party and book the max number of rooms - has nothing to do with guest loyaltyor making return trips.

We spend thousands of dollars a year at WDW, but I guarantee that there are guests there for the first time or that only go once every few years that spend FAR MORE money than we do. Having an AP doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure that guests who pay full price or who don't have an AP believe (an rightly so) that they are entitled to the same experience AP holders are.

As far as return guest/loyal guest benefits - that is more the argument for or against the Disney Visa program. When they announced that DC was being done away with the replacement program was supposed to have been something that would tbe tailored to meet the individual guest needs and reward them based on their family preferences etc... What happened is Disney sold out to make the most possible money and in doing so possibly ostracized some of its most loyal guests.

Meilssa

Oh boy do I agre with that statement Melissa about the treatment of it's most loyal guests. Gaylord Palms is looking very inviting for this trip.

What's up?

There seems to be an almost unhealthy amount of anger and frustration around these AP rates....seems we've all lost sight of the fact the Annual Pass program is in fact a huge discount for the group who the program is targetted at...those who visit the parks multiple times per year. Yes, we first bought our APs to get the additional benefit of the deep discounts available last year, but, feel like we got our money's worth and now, for our next two trips (May and November) our park admission is 'FREE' (worth many hundreds of dollars for a family of 4). In addition, there are discounts available for some meals and entertainment.

So now, because they appear to have cut back on offering AP hotel discounts, all of the sudden Disney is 'the bad guy'. There are rates available to everyone that are nearly as good as any AP rate ever was, book them. Should Disney arrange lower airfare for the AP holders too? Maybe they should send a limo to pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the hotel? The entitlements argument (loyal customer) being used, supports their not offering discounts for hotels, not a rationale for why they should offer them. If AP holders keep coming back, why offer discounts? If you don't like the deal, don't take it, vote with your wallet and your feet, stay home....complaining here isn't going to change much.

Melissa made what I think is a very valid point earlier....many first time/infrequent guests spend substantially more on a visit than a frequent visitor who's learned the ropes and knows how to keep costs down.

Call me a sucker, call me what you want, the AP is a great deal when used as intended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter