***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

So while Jambo has been closed to the hotel side, strange things have been going on.
Google streetview now has the lobby up... I think we have disembodied people wandering about. Anyone missing a set of feet? I know where you left them. 🤣

All is fine.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for room requests at Jambo Savanna view? We've stayed in a standard before that got us a partial view of Uzima so now it's a decision between Arusha and Sunset. I feel like the main thing is if I'm looking at Arusha I wouldn't want to be near the lobby.

Just finished a great stay in a 2 bedroom value-waitlisted just a few months ago and came through quickly. After researching, put in a TP room request for even numbered room and ended up in 5116/5114, with a great savannah view. The size of the unit was just fine for the 5 of us, and we found it to be well-designed (though this resort is definitely due for a room rehab). I appreciated that with Jambo so empty, there were no crowds at the pool.

We saw an ostrich lay an egg, and last night had four giraffes outside our window, so close we could hear them chew. Love this place.

I’m staying in a two bedroom savanna view Kidani villa in August. Can anyone tell me whether the dishes are disposable right now? I read that the studios only have paper plates and cups - what about the larger units? We’d want to bring real mugs for coffee if they aren’t provided.
Thanks!

Just finished a great stay in a 2 bedroom value-waitlisted just a few months ago and came through quickly. After researching, put in a TP room request for even numbered room and ended up in 5116/5114, with a great savannah view. The size of the unit was just fine for the 5 of us, and we found it to be well-designed (though this resort is definitely due for a room rehab). I appreciated that with Jambo so empty, there were no crowds at the pool.

We saw an ostrich lay an egg, and last night had four giraffes outside our window, so close we could hear them chew. Love this place.

AKV had room refurbs 3 or so years ago. I guess it might be getting to be 4 but it's only 1/2 way thru it's cycle before another. What was wrong with the room? Refurb or something maintenance needed to take care of? We always call on maintenance items.

If studios at AKV Jambo only have disposable cups, plates and cutlery can you request several ceramic cups and plates and glasses form Housekeeping?
I love drinking my morning coffee from a real coffee cup!

If studios at AKV Jambo only have disposable cups, plates and cutlery can you request several ceramic cups and plates and glasses form Housekeeping?
I love drinking my morning coffee from a real coffee cup!
I was just thinking this. I'm guessing yes, housekeeping is very accommodating at AKV but don't expect them to clean the items for you when they do the full room cleaning if they don't belong there.

Every trip I make sure to buy a refillable mug not just for refilling but for that room breed coffee. I hate the tiny ceramic mugs that are empty before I'm settled into my seat on the balcony.

Or maybe dated is the better word. The dark cabinets etc is consistent with theme and I’m fine with it but the dark granite countertops and the terra cotta tile in bathrooms feels very 90s to me.

I've noticed that darker themes tend to get dated comment's but all of it is theme, not 90's. The 90's I was in had blues, mauves etc so doesn't even associate at all for me. They did lighten up the walls etc in the refurb which I thought was disappointing. Personally I think it's great - perhaps the best themed rooms of any DVC resort.

AKV had room refurbs 3 or so years ago. I guess it might be getting to be 4 but it's only 1/2 way thru it's cycle before another. What was wrong with the room? Refurb or something maintenance needed to take care of? We always call on maintenance items.

I believe that is only for the hotel side.
For the DVC side I thinkthe last one was softgoods in 2016, so due for a full refurb in 2023 actually.

Personally for 2023, I would like to see the change to wood floor and new murphy bed/sofa.
As I understand, the sofa bed in AKL is notoriously uncomfortable ...
I would love that drop down bed like they have in SSR and Riviera now.
The wood like laminate is easy to clean too. I'm on board (installing it in my mom's FL home as we speak, they're 1/5th done.)

+1 for the pull down murphy bed! A google search seems to confirm AKL DVC soft goods refresh happened in 2016. Whats the soft/hard refresh schedule? Could the closures delay refreshes? I wouldn't think so because we pay for them in our dues?

I exaggerated when I said 90s style above. I remember seeing a ton of dark wood and dark granite kitchens when we’d tour houses in early 2000s and I really coveted the look then but thought this is gonna scream of a certain age in a few years. I actually thought something similar touring Riviera. Their design is lovely but we just did a huge remodel and new kitchen about a year ago and it’s what we saw everywhere-arabesque backsplash, herringbone tile, faux marble. Again, gorgeous but definitely of a point in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter