***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

I exaggerated when I said 90s style above. I remember seeing a ton of dark wood and dark granite kitchens when we’d tour houses in early 2000s and I really coveted the look then but thought this is gonna scream of a certain age in a few years. I actually thought something similar touring Riviera. Their design is lovely but we just did a huge remodel and new kitchen about a year ago and it’s what we saw everywhere-arabesque backsplash, herringbone tile, faux marble. Again, gorgeous but definitely of a point in time.

Yes, everything ages and then sometimes it all comes back around like Riviera. That screams 90's to me. Or maybe a bit of 80's but apparently it's the thing now with young buyers. And it's why I am more concerned about the cleanliness and condition vs the style for my hotel room. I don't think anything will compare to the CR in the early 2000's so I don't worry about it too much. :rotfl:

+1 for the pull down murphy bed! A google search seems to confirm AKL DVC soft goods refresh happened in 2016. Whats the soft/hard refresh schedule? Could the closures delay refreshes? I wouldn't think so because we pay for them in our dues?

Since the soft goods refurb happened in 2016, the more complete hard goods refurb would be in 2023. As to whether that has been set back because of COVID has not been mentioned. BRV, which was supposed to have refurb in 2020, got set back but others should likely keep close to expected schedules. SSR also got set back some but that one is now almost complete.

As was announced a couple years ago, the future hard goods refurb of all pre-Riviera WDW resorts is to include the change to the pull down Murphy beds over the couches. Also, the rooms will change at least partly (such as living room area) to the laminate floors.

Hello knowledgable DVC folks!
I am looking to book AKV to try in Jan 2022 before I buy into it. :daisy:

I want a savanna view room. Either studio or 1B. I rather save money and get a studio, but I am willing to pay more if 1B is only available and if 1B is quieter.

Questions:

I am very noise sensitive and a troubled sleeper. I noticed the Kidani Pool will be worked on during Jan 2022 to April 2022.

1) Will I hear the pool construction noise from the Kidani Savana view

2) Are there differences in Savana view between in Kidani and Jambo?

I am thinking of renting points to guarantee availability during my likely dates in Jan

3) Input on ability, good idea to use DVC 7 months to book SV studio or 1B in Jan?

4) Any other input for noise concerns ?

:thanks: [edited to remove my date availability request since it belongs in Member Services]

Last edited:
Hello knowledgable DVC folks!
I am looking to book AKV to try in Jan 2022 before I buy into it. :daisy:

I want a savanna view room. Either studio or 1B. I rather save money and get a studio, but I am willing to pay more if 1B is only available and if 1B is quieter.

Questions:

I am very noise sensitive and a troubled sleeper. I noticed the Kidani Pool will be worked on during Jan 2022 to April 2022.

1) Will I hear the pool construction noise from the Kidani Savana view

2) Are there differences in Savana view between in Kidani and Jambo?

I am thinking of renting points to guarantee availability during my likely dates of Jan 5 to 9.

3) Input on ability, good idea to use DVC 7 months to book SV studio or 1B in early Jan?

4) Any other input for noise concerns ?

:thanks:
The questions I can answer:
1) pool noise - I don’t know for sure, but the Kidani pool isn’t directly adjacent to any villas.
2) differences in savanna views between Kidani & Jambo - all Jambo savanna view villas are on the 5th floor, thus look down on the animals. They will overlook one of the 3 larger savannas - Uzima, Arusha, or Sunset. Kidani villas are on all floors, so you could be more eye level with the animals. Kidani savanna view villas overlook either the very large Sunset savanna or the very small Pembe savanna.
Are you waiting for 7 months because you are using points you own elsewhere? Generally w/ the exception of marathon weekend and maybe MLK weekend, Jan. isn’t too challenging to get at AKV. Kidani is much larger than Jambo, so it’s easier to book. That said, 2021/2022 are probably outliers because everyone has points they didn’t use in 2020, so it’s a bit like predicting from a crystal ball :)

Are you waiting for 7 months because you are using points you own elsewhere? Generally w/ the exception of marathon weekend and maybe MLK weekend, Jan. isn’t too challenging to get at AKV. Kidani is much larger than Jambo, so it’s easier to book. That said, 2021/2022 are probably outliers because everyone has points they didn’t use in 2020, so it’s a bit like predicting from a crystal ball :)

Thanks for the thoughtful input! Yes, I am waiting for 7 months to use points I own elsewhere. Or considering renting to guarantee my likely dates in Jan [edited to remove my date availability request since it belongs in Member Services]

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful input! Yes, I am waiting for 7 months to use points I own elsewhere. Or considering renting to guarantee my likely dates of Jan 5 to 9
You’re welcome, here’s a map of Kidani w/ the elevators noted https://www.disboards.com/threads/kidani-map-with-elevators-marked.3558443/#post-60415897 w/ savanna view & requesting near ZaZu or Timon elevator (which are in the wing nearer Jambo) you should end up well away from the any pool construction noise.

Sorry in advance if it's been mentioned already. Looking on Youtube I see about 3-4 years ago a lot of the Jambo House rooms were updated with Hardwood flooring/ Raised beds to accommodate suitcases. Was the 5th Floor DVC rooms also updated also?

Has anyone experienced Jambo/Kidani sharing one pool? We are staying at Jambo in March 2022 during Kidani's pool closure and I'm wondering how many Kidani guests would venture over to use the Jambo pool.

Has anyone experienced Jambo/Kidani sharing one pool? We are staying at Jambo in March 2022 during Kidani's pool closure and I'm wondering how many Kidani guests would venture over to use the Jambo pool.
I have not, but would guess that families would be more likely. Also, in the past the hotels have offered free passes to the waterparks when access to a pool is inconvenient. Not saying they will this time, but it's possible that Kidani folk might want to go elsewhere.

I have a reservation for March '22 also. I had forgotten about this.

I am definitely out of touch with news regarding DVC AKL concierge. I assume they are still "closed"? Does anyone have an upcoming booking for May or June? If you had a past booking, were you moved to a standard or savannah view room? :)

I have not, but would guess that families would be more likely. Also, in the past the hotels have offered free passes to the waterparks when access to a pool is inconvenient. Not saying they will this time, but it's possible that Kidani folk might want to go elsewhere.

I have a reservation for March '22 also. I had forgotten about this.

Good points.

I'll save you a lounge chair!

Sorry in advance if it's been mentioned already. Looking on Youtube I see about 3-4 years ago a lot of the Jambo House rooms were updated with Hardwood flooring/ Raised beds to accommodate suitcases. Was the 5th Floor DVC rooms also updated also?
That work was for the hotel rooms at Jambo not the DVC rooms. The DVC rooms at Jambo and then Kidani had a refurbishment in 2016 but that did not include the changes you mention.

I am definitely out of touch with news regarding DVC AKL concierge. I assume they are still "closed"? Does anyone have an upcoming booking for May or June? If you had a past booking, were you moved to a standard or savannah view room? :)

AKL concierge is still not in service, but if you have reserved such a room and go before it reopens, you now usually get the concierge room, just none of the benefits like the lounge, and are ultimately charged standard view points, with the excess points returned to you.

As a result, if you have concierge and are more than 30 days out, you may want to consider switching to a savanna or standard view room, if any are open, if there is a risk you could lose the returned points, if you kept the concierge reservation, because you will not be able to use them in the current use year and the return of points could happen after your banking deadline.

Last edited:
Just finished a great stay in a 2 bedroom value-waitlisted just a few months ago and came through quickly. After researching, put in a TP room request for even numbered room and ended up in 5116/5114, with a great savannah view. The size of the unit was just fine for the 5 of us, and we found it to be well-designed (though this resort is definitely due for a room rehab). I appreciated that with Jambo so empty, there were no crowds at the pool.

We saw an ostrich lay an egg, and last night had four giraffes outside our window, so close we could hear them chew. Love this place.
Curious about May 2022 so I'm going to ask you when you tried to book your value 2BR for May 21 (which you waitlisted and which eventually came through)?

That work was for the hotel rooms at Jambo not the DVC rooms. The DVC rooms at Jambo and then Kidani had a refurbishment in 2016 but that did not include the changes you mention.

That’s a shame. Hopefully next time they will raise the beds. That space looks like a life saver for maybe the studios and value 1 bedrooms on saving space.

Curious about May 2022 so I'm going to ask you when you tried to book your value 2BR for May 21 (which you waitlisted and which eventually came through)?

I booked SSR 1 bedroom Feb 17 and the waitlist came through March 1. I own at AKV but obv this trip was booked way past even 7 month mark. What happened for me this year was pure Covid luck and I would not expect this sort of availability to happen next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter