The Official Spring/Spring Advantage 2010 Thread!

Yay! I'm so happy I found this thread! When do applications begin for Spring 2010? When are they for Fall 2009?

Yay! I'm so happy I found this thread! When do applications begin for Spring 2010? When are they for Fall 2009?

Spring applications should open late August-early September and the Fall application opens, I believe, in February...

I was supposed to go down in Entertainment Spring '03, after my first semester, but I ended up waiting--which was partially great, and partially not. I ended up not getting to audition for Entertainment again prior to my CP in Spring '07(after graduation). I was a bit bummed, but I got to work at Kilimanjaro Safaris, which was incredible. I also met a handful of people who have become some of my absolute best friends of my life--they weren't around for '03, so that I believe is fate. The other thing that was a benefit was that by waiting until I graduated, I actually earned my degree--something I would NOT have done had I gone to WDW after my first semester. I wouldn't have finished, I would have stayed for sure.

The only major drawback I had by waiting until graduation is that I basically had no chance at a PI...(I almost wrote Advanced Internship there, which will really date my experience with this program...haha)

Good luck deciding!

Applications for Fall 2009 should be up somewhere between late Jan and the first week of Feb. Then applications for Spring 2010 should go up around early Sept.

Hey everyone,

I've been reading heavily on the CP program and I'm really excited about it. I want to apply for Spring 2010, but, of course, I have to talk to my advisor and my professors and then try to put together a convincing presentation for my parents to let me go.

My list:
Attractions
Vacation Planner
PhotoPass (but I don't really have experience in photography :/)
Character Attendant
Merchandise
Hospitality
Transportation

"The only major drawback I had by waiting until graduation is that I basically had no chance at a PI."

Why was that? I thought you could do the CP after you graduate and then immediately after do a PI. Right? I'm going to be doing my CP after I graduate and I want to try for a PI...it's one of the main reasons for doing a CP (not the only...but a good draw to doing a different internship/job after graduation..is the possibility of a PI). I know the PI's are hard to get...but are they next to impossible to get for someone who just graduated and did the CP?

Why was that? I thought you could do the CP after you graduate and then immediately after do a PI. Right? I'm going to be doing my CP after I graduate and I want to try for a PI...it's one of the main reasons for doing a CP (not the only...but a good draw to doing a different internship/job after graduation..is the possibility of a PI). I know the PI's are hard to get...but are they next to impossible to get for someone who just graduated and did the CP?

If I had to guess, it's probably easier for someone who's still in school to be accepted for a PI, rather then someone who's finished with school.

"The only major drawback I had by waiting until graduation is that I basically had no chance at a PI."

Well, let's just put it this way, all of my work(and I've been working since I was 13--I'm also a professional magician) has been in either guest service or entertainment and my record with Disney (and every job I've held) is spotless. I worked at Safaris which is, from what I was told, one of the most challenging CP positions, especially in attractions. I also graduated Cum Laude with a BFA in Theatre.

Anyhow, I applied for the PI's in Operations Management and Guest Relations...and also International Media Relations(I knew the last one was a long shot, but it really interested me. I wanted soooooo badly to do one of the others though. They didn't even interview me! :confused3 (I was crushed, to say the least, to see my dream slipping away without so much as an interview--nothing bothers me more than that when it comes to employment.)

What I'm trying to say is that I am more than qualified for either of those positions. But if you applying for a PI, following a CP immediately after graduation, you only get the one shot. If they find enough people before they get to your resume, you're out of luck, sadly.

Plus, Joanna is right in that they prefer their interns to be in school still and returning to school following the internship. I'm not sure why this is, but I've noticed this with others who have applied too... Granted, I'm not saying DON'T apply, I'm just wanting people to understand how incredibly difficult it may be.

. . .I then decided to extend my CP, and they left me in the same role and location, even though I asked for a transfer. I called the office, and spoke to an amazing CM and she looked at my record, apologized profusely, and offered me a transfer to any attraction in the parks. I chose GMR, which had been my first choice. Not a problem... She made the changes and I was scheduled for training! Then, sadly, I had a family emergency to deal with back home, and I had to decline my extension. How devastating!

After all had been dealt with back home, I was pretty miserable and moved to Bavaria, Germany to live as a magical au pair (a cross between Maria von Trapp and Mary Poppins) to an amazing German family for a year. I just returned late November, and I will arrive next Saturday to continue my Disney adventure, hopefully full-time. :goodvibes

Well, let's just put it this way, all of my work(and I've been working since I was 13--I'm also a professional magician) has been in either guest service or entertainment and my record with Disney (and every job I've held) is spotless. I worked at Safaris which is, from what I was told, one of the most challenging CP positions, especially in attractions. I also graduated Cum Laude with a BFA in Theatre.

Anyhow, I applied for the PI's in Operations Management and Guest Relations...and also International Media Relations(I knew the last one was a long shot, but it really interested me. I wanted soooooo badly to do one of the others though. They didn't even interview me! :confused3 (I was crushed, to say the least, to see my dream slipping away without so much as an interview--nothing bothers me more than that when it comes to employment.)

What I'm trying to say is that I am more than qualified for either of those positions. But if you applying for a PI, following a CP immediately after graduation, you only get the one shot. If they find enough people before they get to your resume, you're out of luck, sadly.

Plus, Joanna is right in that they prefer their interns to be in school still and returning to school following the internship. I'm not sure why this is, but I've noticed this with others who have applied too... Granted, I'm not saying DON'T apply, I'm just wanting people to understand how incredibly difficult it may be.

. . .I then decided to extend my CP, and they left me in the same role and location, even though I asked for a transfer. I called the office, and spoke to an amazing CM and she looked at my record, apologized profusely, and offered me a transfer to any attraction in the parks. I chose GMR, which had been my first choice. Not a problem... She made the changes and I was scheduled for training! Then, sadly, I had a family emergency to deal with back home, and I had to decline my extension. How devastating!

After all had been dealt with back home, I was pretty miserable and moved to Bavaria, Germany to live as a magical au pair (a cross between Maria von Trapp and Mary Poppins) to an amazing German family for a year. I just returned late November, and I will arrive next Saturday to continue my Disney adventure, hopefully full-time. :goodvibes

Wow, that's really hard to hear for me. A PI is part of my dream with Disney. However, it won't discourage my aspirations... I hope to have a few CP's done before I apply for a PI.

Wow, that's really hard to hear for me. A PI is part of my dream with Disney. However, it won't discourage my aspirations... I hope to have a few CP's done before I apply for a PI.

No, by all means, that wasn't meant to discourage anyone!!! I just wanted to answer the question as to what makes a PI very difficult to obtain, directly following a CP, which directly followed graduation.

Good luck to everyone in their respective application processes!

hey everyone!
just saying hi, and introducing myself. My name is Dana, im from Scranton, Pennsylvania. im not really new to the boards, but ive mostly been posting on fall 09 topics, until now!

I will be applying for fall 09- but as of right now im not sure that, if i got in, i would be able to accept because of things that have come up within my family.

therefore i will most likely be applying for spring 2010!! im excited either way, and i was just hoping to meet a few people who will be applying as well.:goodvibes

hey everyone!
just saying hi, and introducing myself. My name is Dana, im from Scranton, Pennsylvania. im not really new to the boards, but ive mostly been posting on fall 09 topics, until now!

I will be applying for fall 09- but as of right now im not sure that, if i got in, i would be able to accept because of things that have come up within my family.

therefore i will most likely be applying for spring 2010!! im excited either way, and i was just hoping to meet a few people who will be applying as well.:goodvibes

Welcome! My name is Joe, and I originally started this thread for the same reason... to meet people for Spring 2010, which I would apply for. However, things do change, and now I'm probably going to apply for Fall 2010. I'm still trying to convince my parents otherwise... but as of now, I'll be applying for Fall 2010.

Welcome! My name is Joe, and I originally started this thread for the same reason... to meet people for Spring 2010, which I would apply for. However, things do change, and now I'm probably going to apply for Fall 2010. I'm still trying to convince my parents otherwise... but as of now, I'll be applying for Fall 2010.

awh! good luck joe! i hope you can convice them otherwise!!

Just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'm not sure if I'll be able to do Fall Advantage 09, so if I can't, I'm definitely applying for Spring Advantage 10.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'm not sure if I'll be able to do Fall Advantage 09, so if I can't, I'm definitely applying for Spring Advantage 10.

Welcome!! Where in NJ are you from? I live in Bergen County. :)

Why was that? I thought you could do the CP after you graduate and then immediately after do a PI. Right?

I'm a little late to this thread... but this caught my eye! Yes - you can most definately graduate, do the CP and then a PI - that's what I did (I'm on my PI now). The thing to be aware of is program dates.

You can only be on a student program (CP, PI) for one consecutive year. So you can do the fall (Aug-Jan) into the first PI program (Jan-June) no problem. If you do the spring program you need to be aware of when your end date is, the second 6 month program typically starts at the beginning of July (but varies).

In most cases you cannot do an Advantage program into a PI - that's over a year. Exception is of course the specific PI. One PI I applied for ends in May, so I could have done Fall Advantage and been fine. However, the one I was offered ends in June, had I done Advantage then I couldn't have been offered this one. They asked me all about my CP program dates in my interview to make sure I wouldn't go over a year.

Also - you cannot leave a CP early to go to a PI, you need to complete your CP contract! These are all potential problems.

Is this for the Spring '10 Career Start Program? If not sorry... ;)

Surely! All Career Start hopefuls are welcome! It's more of both, since the two programs are closely related... CPs and CSs can both relate to the discussion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter