The Running Thread - 2018

Injury question(don't worry, I won't show a picture):

I've long had a callus on the ball of my left foot. I've tried treating it with corn/callus remover, wearing those small little pads under it. It has usually bothered me during early parts of my runs, but the pain usually goes away shortly after. But lately, the pain doesn't seem to be coming as much from the callus as from underneath the callus, inside the skin. And it's hurting just to walk around on it(sans shoes).

I haven't run for a few weeks due to tendinitis, so I don't think it's from overuse. I looked up Morton's Neuroma, but that seems to affect a different area of the foot. I also looked up Metatarsalgia, but that refers more to a burning sensation, and that's not what this is.

I see my doctor in a couple of weeks anyway, but I wondered if anyone has had a similar situation, and how you were able to treat it.

Are you just getting a blister underneath your current callus?

I have large, permanent calluses on the balls of both feet. They never bother me, so I don't try to get rid of them. The only issue I have with them is the first really hot, sweaty singles tennis match that I have for the summer season, I get blisters underneath and slightly to the side of both calluses. Blisters like the size of my thumbs. (It is due to the swiveling on the balls of the feet to change direction during tennis.) At any rate, for me, those blisters peel away in a week or so and apparently that toughens up the area for the summer and that's pretty much the end of the story for me.

At any rate, maybe you aren't having any other new kind of condition, it's just more rubbing/blistering under or around your current callus. Perhaps a new type of sock or insole to cut down on the rubbing?

June is going to be mostly a rest month with a trip to Europe. I am scared to think how many pages this thread will grow while I am away!

I am also going to Europe this month for two weeks and I am with you the catch on this thread will be tough :scared:

Count me in with the traveling crowd. Heading to Italy on Tuesday for two weeks of cycling, food, wine, hiking. Glad that marathon weekend registration is not til July.

Well, I've got a Dentist's appointment in June! :teeth:

Are you just getting a blister underneath your current callus?

Maybe, but I don't think so, for two reasons: 1)It "feels" like it's under the skin, not just between the callus and the top layer of skin, and it's not something I can really peel away. 2)It's been in 2-3 different spots.

I do think your suggestion of different socks/shoes might be worth looking at, though. I've been thinking that it's time to switch shoes, and only run in Balega socks(or something similar).

May overview:
65.42 miles
Mnts to Main St Half marathon; Mnt Sports Festival 5k
10 OTF sessions

QOTD: I’m answering as of today. I’d skip AK — the Pandora craziness just drives me over the edge. All the people getting there super early, the higher crowds, the hype — it’s taken the joy out of a once-favorite park. I had to explain to my DS and SIL several times why we weren’t able to get FP+ for FOP even though “but they advertise it on TV!” But that hype will soon move to Toy Story Land.

@LSUlakes please add the following races for me. Thank you!!

4/29/18 - Huskies90 - Cheshire Half Marathon (1:47:00 / 1:49:21) This race was my POT for the Disney Marathon
6/3/18 - Huskies90 - Iron Horse 10K (48:00/TBD) This is my wife's POT race for the Disney Half Marathon and I running it, too. It is also my first 10K ever so I have no idea how fast I will run it. I also registered as a Clydesdale. Does anyone know if races typically do a weigh in when they have this option? I am teetering around 200 lbs right now down from 206 lbs. I ran so many miles in May (for me), I dropped some weight.
I have never had a weigh in when registering as an Athena... I think it would not be practical. :) It's just kind of the honor system thing.

It is a thing. last or first day of the month you can post as much or little detail as you wish. If you swim or bike, you can make a separate line item for those activities as others here do those as well.

BTW: 22.02 Miles for me sigh

Alright then! In May I ran 72.59 miles for an average pace of 9:57 per mile. Thanks to @DopeyBadger that's probably my slowest average running pace in my 2 years of running!

Miles for May - A very low 25 miles. Had the best of intentions but life got in the way. Pace was 10:10

Plan for June is start strong before the two weeks in Ireland. I may try to run on vacation but most likely I will just drink lots of Guinness.

For the record ... I'm perfectly happy with everyone else skipping DHS. That means I can meet all the characters and ride RnR & TSMM like 3 times each. Sounds like a perfect day to me.

The sad thing is that when I went in April, all the lines in DHS were sooooooo long because there are so few of them, so almost everybody who was there was in line for RnR, ToT, or TSMM. There was even a long line to get in to see the Muppets!

I think I like wheat beers. Is that a thing?
(In case you hadn't realized from that one sentence, I know very little about beer)

Hell yes to the hefeweizen. :drinking1

QOTD: If something goes wrong during a race (fall, injury creeping back, watch not coming on, bunny not on track, GI issue, out of breath...) what are your in race recovery strategies? Your pace adjustment strategies? Your positive thoughts to snap out of it?
Todays question is a suggestion by a fellow poster. Thanks for the suggestion!

Depends what the issue is. Lately, with my ankle being in the shape it's in, the races I've started this year have been with the goal of "let's start and see what happens." Most cases, I've been able to finish; I had to shorten one course just because I knew it wouldn't hold up over the distance/let me walk afterwards. I've been justifying it to myself that at least I'm out there trying, which is more than where I was 2.5 years ago. It's been immensely frustrating to feel like I've lost all the progress I made before the injury, but I've really been forcing myself to think positively (not just about the healing injury, but about other life stuff as well, it's been a rough go of things for a bit now).

Fun Friday QOTD: With the current set up of the 4 parks at WDW, you have a free trip which includes a resort on the monorail, dining plan (the middle one) and a 3 day ticket without the park hopper. Which park are you skipping and why?

I was all ready to betray my younger self and say Epcot :duck:because the new Figment ride just reminds me of how much better the old one was...also because I don't particularly care for the rest of the Epcot rides, whereas I'll ride Tower of Terror forever (current record with my sister: 7 consecutive rides.) But then I saw dining plan included, and...yeah, much as I love me some Sci-Fi, I'll eat at Epcot forever.

Nervous about the 10miler in the morning, not just for the distance/challenge/my foot, but because of the forecasted thunderstorms all day...

curious why skip MK? too crowded? i'd skip DHS - not into rollercoasters

MAY TOTALS:
130 miles
8:34 pace

Moved recently so no running for almost a week. Would have been better to have carved out some time since I was so stressed. Still trying to find a running route I like in the area and still not settled so only doing 3 mile runs thus far. However, just saw the school nearby has a "track" (pavement, blegh) so hopefully I can start some speed sessions. But I'd like to get my mileage up too.

In it's current state of construction I would skip Studios as well. Which would be sad as I love the park. So, then if I could I would go upgrade the 3 Day ticket to hopping so then I wouldn't be sad.

May Miles - 158

I also registered as a Clydesdale. Does anyone know if races typically do a weigh in when they have this option? I am teetering around 200 lbs right now down from 206 lbs. I ran so many miles in May (for me), I dropped some weight.

I did have to weigh-in at the one race I ran in the Clydesdale division.

May totals: 105.51
Year to Date: 323.28

Better than last month since I was not traveling.

DH decided I needed to join the technical side of the running community this week and a Garmin Forerunner 35 arrived today. I have been digging my heels in for months to avoid purchasing any running watch because of the cost but lost as he found it on sale. Guess what he wants me to figure out how to use before my half marathon tomorrow?

curious why skip MK? too crowded?

For me, it’s a combination of things. Too many strollers, too crowded, I don’t really like any of the food there - Be Our Guest dinner is it, but I’m kinda burnt on it, though I’m looking forward to the change to a prix fixe menu and that will definitely get me back through the gates at least once - none of the rides really speak to me, no bars, and I’d rather watch HEA from California Grill or the patio/beach at Poly.

That said, I don’t have kids and my park days are very different from most - I don’t do rides unless I have friends with me, and most of my time is usually in the late afternoon/evening and is structured around eating, drinking and fireworks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter