The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I’d skip DHS. Atthough a few of my favorite rides are there, at this time, it’s not even a half day park for me. So it would feel like a waste of a ticket.

May Totals:

Miles: 100
Time: 19:24 hours
Avg pace: 10:25 mile/hr

ATTQOTD: Hollywood Studios. It has never been my favorite park as I do not ride TOT or RnR so I would skip it at this point. Plus I have not seen the Pandora stuff yet so AK is a must.

ATTQOTD: Magic Kingdom, it’s a half-day park for us. We typically leave after our 3 FPs and then whatever other FPs are still available. I love several rides, but they are also not a must. Plus we don’t care for much of the food in MK.

May Totals
33.7 miles
average pace of 21:21
11 runs total

I was rather disappointed when I saw this as it is fewer and slower runs over fewer miles than the last 3 months. So, I wanted to look on the bright side. Also in May were some firsts: my kids's first trip to DL and my first time running over 5 miles at a time- and I did it 3 times. I also visited 5 states, bought 3 appliances and pulled ahead my 10K plan and met the target time two weeks early. So I suppose it was alright after all. I have also learned to read my shoes better, I could tell they were beaten down a bit due to shins, and when I started to look at them I can clearly see where the tread is nearly worn away- something I have never been looking for in the past. As I look back at May, I am no longer disappointed, and see it as a starting point for June. First up: new 10K PR- I already met my target time two weeks ago, I could have pushed harder at the end, and this course has fewer hills. After that, buy fewer appliances and more running shoes.... I dread it as they updated my shoe model.

ATTQOTD
I would without hesitation skip Hollywood Studios. I'm not a coaster person (I was happy one kid hated Radiator Spring Racers as then we could just play TSMM all morning while DH and the other kid raced), and we have generally only gone there for TSMM for which the line is too long, and Disney Jr which I would prefer to skip (although I do not mind the DL Disney Jr attraction). The harder question for me is which monorail resort we would stay at, particularly as the lack of park hoppers in this scenario alters my usual MO of rope drop MK and park hop to something more low key in the afternoon so I do not go crazy in the mass of humanity. Thus, it would be more resort time than usual and I am not sure which I prefer. Maybe BLT so I could walk back from the fireworks and not have to take the monorail?

Fun Friday:

Currently in the process of planning a quick trip for MNSSHP in September, so I’ll cheat a little and say I’d skip Magic Kingdom. I really like doing the after hours party thing at MK with shorter wait times and extra things happening. I’ve also still only been to Pandora once and while Toy Story land doesn’t check all the boxes for me, I’d still like to see it.

Fun Friday:

Currently in the process of planning a quick trip for MNSSHP in September, so I’ll cheat a little and say I’d skip Magic Kingdom. I really like doing the after hours party thing at MK with shorter wait times and extra things happening. I’ve also still only been to Pandora once and while Toy Story land doesn’t check all the boxes for me, I’d still like to see it.
I did MVMCP for my post-race day at W&D in 2015, it let me sleep in since I'd been up until 4am the night before at the after party and then getting the bus back and stuff. It let me save a ticket day.

It was a blast! I had lunch with my parents before they left, then bummed around the resort until going over to MK to get in at 4pm and do a bunch of regular things, and had lots of fun at the party with all the extra stuff going on. I would totally do an after hours party thing again. I got just as much or more out of it as a regular day ticket.

With the current set up of the 4 parks at WDW, you have a free trip which includes a resort on the monorail, dining plan (the middle one) and a 3 day ticket without the park hopper. Which park are you skipping and why?
Probably the unpopular idea but I would actually skip Epcot. I have done WS so much and I don't really like any of the rides in FW except SE. So, even at a "half-day" I'd rather try my luck re-riding TSMM!! Then I would walk to the EP area resorts for the food!!!!

Probably the unpopular idea but I would actually skip Epcot. I have done WS so much and I don't really like any of the rides in FW except SE. So, even at a "half-day" I'd rather try my luck re-riding TSMM!! Then I would walk to the EP area resorts for the food!!!!

I can get behind this. I'm kinda blah on epcot ... I can live without it.

I can get behind this. I'm kinda blah on epcot ... I can live without it.
It was actually a tossup for me... but I haven't ridden the new Frozen ride yet, so at least I'd get to do that. And I like Illuminations better than Fantasmic :) Although I get to sit at Fantasmic, hrmmm. But Epcot is pretty blah for me these days, too.

I did MVMCP for my post-race day at W&D in 2015, it let me sleep in since I'd been up until 4am the night before at the after party and then getting the bus back and stuff. It let me save a ticket day.

It was a blast! I had lunch with my parents before they left, then bummed around the resort until going over to MK to get in at 4pm and do a bunch of regular things, and had lots of fun at the party with all the extra stuff going on. I would totally do an after hours party thing again. I got just as much or more out of it as a regular day ticket.

I think it's highly dependent on the day you go and the crowd level (hence why we are looking at early September rather than closer to Halloween), but I had such an amazing time last year that I am excited to go again this year. I'm also not a character line person, so the fact that a lot of those lines are insane doesn't affect me much. There were times last year when there were so few people in the areas where we were that I felt like we were going to get in trouble because we weren't supposed to be there (I'm stupid and get paranoid about such things).

Fun Friday QOTD: With the current set up of the 4 parks at WDW, you have a free trip which includes a resort on the monorail, dining plan (the middle one) and a 3 day ticket without the park hopper. Which park are you skipping and why?
ATTQOTD: Am I on my own, or with my child? On my own, I skip MK. I've been there a gazillion times and hate pretty much all the food there. With my child, I guess we'd skip DHS, since he has no interest in TOT or RnR.

ATTQOTD: I would skip Hollywood Studios, without question. Outside of Star Wars, there's just not enough there to draw me in. There are more things to do at the other parks that appeal to me, even if AK wrecked the Flights of Wonder show with their clumsy attempt to make it UP! themed!

May Training Summary
Distance: 91.64 miles
Average Pace: 0:10:55/mile
Total Time: 16:34:50

May was a step forward from April, but I'm still not where I'd like to be by a long shot. It's been a lot harder to regain fitness and return to my regular pacing after my shin issue than I ever thought it would be. It has felt like starting from scratch again. Hopefully this will kick off another long stretch of injury free running while I train for Chicago. Fingers crossed!

May Monthly Totals:
Miles - 162.62 mi
Time - 23:13:30
Avg Pace (approx) - 8:34min/mi
Avg HR - 141

Was a very good month, I concentrated on just getting the miles in and was about 30 miles higher than March or April. Summer hit with a vengeance in Houston, so pace and HR adjusted accordingly (down and up).

June is going to be mostly a rest month with a trip to Europe. I am scared to think how many pages this thread will grow while I am away!

Interesting... And if running WnD Half, you get a separate ticket for Epcot post-race party. In that situation, I would not use a day ticket for Epcot.

ATTQOTD: Well, this past marathon weekend, we had the kids with us and a 3 day no hopper, and Epcot got the skip. It hurt me, since I enjoy it the most and Illuminations is my favorite World night time show, but not enough for the kids, so we did the Studios....

ATTQOTD: Hollywood Studios (at least at this point). This may change once we check-out Toy Story Land. My kiddos love TS. AK is one of our favorites - which surprised me the first time we visited. Epcot would run a close second for being a park to skip at least while our boys are still young. It can easily be a half-day park for us if we don't plan to meet the princesses for the umpteenth time.

May Training Totals:
27 miles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter