The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: What is something that has happened to you that you did not anticipate due to running?
So many things! In addition to how running impacts my mood, I didn't know that running would help me feel like "me" again. After a surgery in 2013, I constantly had stomach issues and always had tummy aches. After trying different diets, running was really the game-changer for me. It basically cured me. My doctor calls exercise the "magic pill" and I totally believe that!

I've been renewing my AP for 20ish years - I get nothing, lol! I could get a new MB each year, but I don't bother: the 2 I have are enough. I never get a card anymore; I've been rocking the same plastic card for at least 3 years now (for AP discounts in the parks.) I get a Mickey Monitor every... hmm, maybe 3 months? I think it's quarterly. I suspect you just missed the last one; I think I got it a month or so ago. Emails are hit or miss, with more misses than hits. I get renewal reminders and renewal thank yous (with magnets) in snail mail.

I agree with all of this. I believe I get emails more frequently than some people, but I don't think I get all of them. I elect to get the AP Magic Band every year because I am a MB hoarder. I get the renewal notifications (even when I already have a linked renewal certificate purchased) both in email and snail mail. Magnets have been hit and miss and the Mickey Monitor comes every quarter-ish. My other half and I both have annual passes and it's interesting to see what and when we each get passholder stuff - inconsistent is the best description.

It really wasn't. It had turned black a couple of months ago, and finally just came off yesterday, but there was never a bit of pain the entire time. And this is weird, but it's like there's already another toenail growing *behind* it, if that makes sense.

I'm treating it like a badge of honor. Or a badge of poor running form. Or a badge of bad toenail hygiene. Whatever. A badge is a badge.

Totally been there multiple times. My toes (except for the big toes) have the unconscious habit of curling under a bit when I run, so I'm pretty much always running on my toenails. Even though I keep them short, I'm usually in the process of losing one or two while another one or two are growing back. Yep, there's sort of a baby toenail that starts growing in while the other one is still getting loose enough to fall off. I don't find it particularly painful, either. The initial offense against the toenail usually involves a little soreness, but not usually at a level that I particularly notice or affects my running.

You can consider whether the toe box of your shoe is appropriate. You might be jamming your toes against the inside, which could cause this. Not the problem for me.

QOTD: What is something that has happened to you that you did not anticipate due to running?
ATTQOTD: I never thought running would become an addiction. Let’s face it. That is what it is - maybe it is due to the running endorphins. But for those of us on this thread who are healthy enough to run, can you imagine our lives right now without running? I knew it was an addiction when I gave up my main sport - basketball - when I hit my 40’s mainly due to a fear that if I were to blow out a knee or even turned an ankle, at my age, I would have to stop running for a long time.

I will ETA that I did go back to playing basketball 2 years ago, because I figured if I don’t do it now, I never will. I have made it through the last 2 seasons ok but I turn 50 this year and I know it is not a question of “if” I get hurt but “when” I get hurt, my hoops career will officially be over and only time will tell how much it will affect running.

ATTQOTD - Hmmm, tough one. I guess spraining both arms & hand from falling last summer I never anticipated but that's not fun. So how about meeting people & making friends that aren't local due to runDisney races.

I had one fall off a couple of years ago. I would say it's more gross than painful. The worst part is when it's lose and black before it falls off. It's actually a relief when it finally falls off.

I have a picture of mine if you want to see it. :)
I will pass on the kind offer :crazy2:

ATTQTOD: How much I would like it? That it would be something I need to do every day almost in order to feel centered and good? (Side effect: this leaves you really cranky and off-balance when you can't run and that part sucks.)

That I'd be faster in my 30s than I was in my teens?

Also that I might start to meet people this way and how much it's become part of my life.

I had this happen in April, but we were stuck at the launching point because someone decided they did not want to ride it anymore. Took forever to get them off. Being a tall person and accidentally pulling the bar down one click to many, I was very uncomfortable waiting for that whole process to take place. Where were you stuck at on the track? Lights on?
We were at the end of the ride. We sat there 10-15 minutes listening to the infernal message, the lights came on and finally got the announcement that cast members would come to evacuate us, waited another 20 minutes listening to a couple behind me cursing and calling security before cast members came. Then when we got off, instead of walking on to the end, they walked us all the way back through to the queue, gave us a bottle of water and two free fast passes. We had FP for ToT and Star Tours. Really, are there two more rides open and functional at HS these days?

NONE OF YOU TOLD ME MY TOENAILS WOULD FALL OFF
JUST DON’T POST PICTURES OF YOUR TOES! There should be an automatic social media lockout when someone tries to post pictures of banged up feet! :mad:

ATTQOTD: I did not anticipate finding a running community through a Disney-oriented website. :)

But I'm glad I did!
This is the best RD online community by far!

QOTD: I never thought I would be called “the runner” of my family. DH is an AG runner, has been running for decades, but somehow my slower miles and number of races has way surpassed his. He’s developed a passion for Cross Fit and doesn’t bother looking for races outside our area; meanwhile I’ve realized that some fun places just happen to host events. Total “will run for vacation”

ATTQOTD: Such a great question.
1) This board.
2) You people.
3) Becoming a morning person.
4) Missing running on rest days.
5) Running in a sports bra! WHAT. It's happened. Crazy.

One thing I never want to happen: losing a toenail. NOPE. HARD PASS.

My toenail fell off once as well. I found that I needed to size up half a size in my shoes and have not had the problem since.

I blame my toenail falling off on the socks I was wearing. They were too slippery on my feet and I think that caused a lot of friction and jostling. I now use socks that are a little thicker and so far have not had the same issue....

Note to self: Get evac'ed off of RnR so that I can get FP to use in Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers...

No way they would give a FP for what will become a tier 2 ride to what will be a tier 1 ride in a few weeks. What I think will be very interesting is what are they going to do when Star Wars land and the replacement for the great movie line go live as well. I would guess Alien Swirling Saucers (Will we be allowed to use the short hand version of this on the DIS?) will go to a 2, and the best new ride in SWL gets a 1 and the mickey themed roller coaster is the other 1, all others remain a 2....

I feel like it fit in with the QOTD. Also, thanks for not posting a picture.

It was that post that gave me the suggestion for today. It worked well.

ATTQOTD: A lot of what others have said. Also actually wanting to get up to run on vacation. We’re heading up to Rehoboth Beach in a few hours and I’m already looking forward to getting up and running tomorrow morning.

I ran into the base of our old platform bed a few years ago and my entire nail on my left big toe came off instantly. I was home alone and blood gushing out. It was quite painful. The best part is that my then 6 month old pup never left my side and cuddled with me all night. Anyway, because of that and running it’s never been the same. But luckily no lost nails due to running.

We were evacuated off ToT during wine and dine weekend. Sat at the bottom in the elevator for 10-15 minutes. We all got 1 any tier fp. So we went on RnR with the free fp. A guest had trouble getting out of the seat in the car in front us, so we sat for another 10-15 there. I don’t do loops well and was very nauseated, so it was pretty uncomfortable. I can’t imagine being stuck in there in the summer.

APs: Have never gotten the paper newsletter. I receive most emails. Have always had to email guest relations for the magnet. Received the paper invite to Pandora preview weeks after all spots had been filled. I feel like it’s a mixed bag for everyone regarding communication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter