The Running Thread - 2018

Well, as good as 2017 was for me from a running standpoint, 2018 is determined be the opposite! After coming down with bronchitis during MW (still have a residual cough) I finally got back to training this week.

A little soreness on the inside of the shin that blossomed into a full fledged issue and limp while walking this week prompted a visit to the orthopedic urgent care today. Apparently I have an excess growth of bone on my tibia that has gotten aggravated. The doctor was baffled and had no idea as to where it came from, why it's decided to bother me now, or even a clear path of treatment and return to running! The best they have is 2 weeks of no activity other than walking on a high power anti-inflammatory and hope it settles down on its own. If it does, then slowly reintroduce running and hope it doesn't recur. Not a diagnosis or plan of action to engender confidence!

Hopefully this too shall pass. In the meantime, @LSUlakes can you please remove next month's race from the schedule for me:

March 17 - camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m

Fingers crossed everything clears in time to get my June half and fall marathon in!

Oh no! Sorry to hear this, and hoping for an easy road back.

With all the low carb talk, I'm curious if anyone has tried a ketogenic diet while running/working out consistently? My husband is a competitive cyclist and thinks that I'm crazy for considering a keto diet while training for the Princess Half, or for considering keto at all. He claims I'll have no energy and it will decrease my performance during running, soccer etc. Thoughts or experience?

This guy has some interesting experiments and information on distance running on a keto diet.

http://cholesterolcode.com/the-marathon-experiment/

With all the low carb talk, I'm curious if anyone has tried a ketogenic diet while running/working out consistently? My husband is a competitive cyclist and thinks that I'm crazy for considering a keto diet while training for the Princess Half, or for considering keto at all. He claims I'll have no energy and it will decrease my performance during running, soccer etc. Thoughts or experience?

I also eat a ketogenic diet and have plenty of energy. I’ve never been fast but it’s great for endurance as your body learns to adapt to burning fat for fuel. I am in several Facebook groups where there are some crazy active people who eat keto!

Well, as good as 2017 was for me from a running standpoint, 2018 is determined be the opposite! After coming down with bronchitis during MW (still have a residual cough) I finally got back to training this week.

A little soreness on the inside of the shin that blossomed into a full fledged issue and limp while walking this week prompted a visit to the orthopedic urgent care today. Apparently I have an excess growth of bone on my tibia that has gotten aggravated. The doctor was baffled and had no idea as to where it came from, why it's decided to bother me now, or even a clear path of treatment and return to running! The best they have is 2 weeks of no activity other than walking on a high power anti-inflammatory and hope it settles down on its own. If it does, then slowly reintroduce running and hope it doesn't recur. Not a diagnosis or plan of action to engender confidence!

Hopefully this too shall pass. In the meantime, @LSUlakes can you please remove next month's race from the schedule for me:

Fingers crossed everything clears in time to get my June half and fall marathon in!

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

DS and DH also came down with bronchitis Monday after the Marathon, and I got it from them about a week later, so I did no running last week and struggled with 6 slow miles today. I wonder how many others came home sick. I'm sure the exertion and the cold mornings didn't help the immune system.

I hope your shin settles down as the doctor said. My doctor says times like this are why doctors "practice" medicine. I like that he fully admits that it is often an inexact science.

I was following keto for at least a year leading up to the marathon. I was really nervous about bonking so I did take in carbs for my long runs and the marathon. When I first switched, I did notice a bit of sluggishness but once my body adapted I was fine. I would be a bit nervous this close to a big race but otherwise I fully support it.

Two of my favorite sites for recipes:
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

journal: none beyond a basic logbook, not sure how much activation energy I can muster to get one going. There are other priorities out there right now.

scenery: locally tends to be around downtown Baltimore...the inner harbor area is nice, as are other parts of downtown, but too far afield gets a bit gritty. Most scenic races I've done were in Lancaster county, PA -- the farmland there was lovely. (have walked tons of other beautiful places, but they were never really for a "training" walk, so guessing they don't count for the purposes of this question...)

disney snack: not a big snacker, my sister and I stick to the (generously portioned) meals, but it'd be either a dole whip or a mickey bar.

I'm supposed to have started my training plan again this week, but there's still intermittent soreness in my ankle...I'm probably being overcautious, but I'd rather play it too safe than the other way around. Sigh.

I don’t snack much, but have had at least one or two of each of these “biggies” over the years: Mickey ice cream bar, churro, cinnamon roll (when they were at Main Street Bakery), Dole Whip, popcorn, cinnamon almonds, and a few more. All are delicious, but my favorite is a chocolate eclair from Les Halles.
Has anyone tried the maple popcorn from the Canada cart. It smells great whenever I pass by!

We tried the maple popcorn a few weeks ago - sooo good!!

@camaker - wishing you a speedy recovery!

I was following keto for at least a year leading up to the marathon. I was really nervous about bonking so I did take in carbs for my long runs and the marathon. When I first switched, I did notice a bit of sluggishness but once my body adapted I was fine. I would be a bit nervous this close to a big race but otherwise I fully support it.

Thank you! I agree that with only 4 weeks until the Princess Half I shouldn't make major changes to my diet, but may give it a try for awhile after the race.

Hope you get better! My husband has something similar in his hip/pelvis area (bone growth that is irritating the muscles and tissues around it). He got a cortisone shot at the ortho doctor this week and it has helped a lot.

Wow, I could have written this post, right down to the links lol!!

Question. The princess half will be my first. I’m not going for time, I want to take in the whole experience with the characters and entertainment along the way. However, since I’ve been training I want to see how I’d do if I raced for time. There’s a race that looks interesting to me mid-May. Is that enough time to do a quick training routine and go for time? It’s about 8 to 10 weeks.

Question. The princess half will be my first. I’m not going for time, I want to take in the whole experience with the characters and entertainment along the way. However, since I’ve been training I want to see how I’d do if I raced for time. There’s a race that looks interesting to me mid-May. Is that enough time to do a quick training routine and go for time? It’s about 8 to 10 weeks.

Yes. Since Princess is going to be a moderate effort, your body should be in pretty good shape afterwards. If it was me, I would run easy the first week or so after Princess and then jump back into your half training plan--if you felt good, you could do the last X weeks of your plan, where X is the number of weeks left to the May race.

I'm running the Princess Half as a training run then running the Dark Side Half for time on 4/22. You should be fine. I'd do as jmasgat said and continue on with your plan again from however many weeks you are out from the half in May.

Hey guys, I have a question about VO2max: what is it exactly?

Apparently Health, through my iPhone or Apple Watch, has been tracking it since September and I've never noticed it until it popped up today. Since September it's been going up on random run days. I guess I missed reading about this new Apple feature.

My strength trainer gives me a number every six months when we look at my heart rate range for running but I really don't pay any attention to it. Health's number in September is almost exactly what she gave me then. I really hope going up is a good thing! I'm staying in my heart rate range for runs.

I'm really sorry to hear about your injury. Gotta love doctors who are still "practicing" medicine! I hope it heals up soon for you.

Hang in there @camaker. Down time for runners sucks! I think I can say that word on the boards? Be patient, stay distracted until you can start training again. Start off slow and get comfortable with your progress. Rest is also important, not fun but we all need it. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter