• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

Bonus Question of a personal note: For marathon weekend I have two options now resort wise. The option is Contemporary - Garden Wing, Standard View or Grand Floridian - Outer Bldg Lagoon View($117.00 ish cheaper) What says the DIS?

As much as I dislike th rooms at Grand Floridian, $117 a night savings is tough to pass up.

Bonus Question of a personal note: For marathon weekend I have two options now resort wise. The option is Contemporary - Garden Wing, Standard View or Grand Floridian - Outer Bldg Lagoon View($117.00 ish cheaper) What says the DIS?
Go with the cheaper option. The Contemporary is great but the garden wing is kind of a walk from the main building. Biggest plus to Contemporary is the walking distance to MK.

QOTD, summer is officially over! While it may not feel that way yet to most of us in the southern states it is. lol Anyway, early this summer I asked what were your goals for the summer regarding running. How did you do?
ATTQOTD: I'm not dead yet, so A+.

I've never stayed at the GF and love the CR garden rooms, so I'd probably stick with that. But if you like the GF and don't have strong feelings for the CR, the cost savings might be worth going that way.

ATTQOTD: A-, I am ready for the 10k, weather run at 10k pace or easy pace, but I'm ready. I'm still not comfortable completely with a goal of a half. Some days I do a long run and feel like I could just keep going and going. Other days I run a couple miles and seriously question my life choices.

ATTQOTD: D. Took some planned time off, but then it was just one thing after another with illnesses, work stuff and weather when I was supposed to get back at it. I’m hoping for smooth sailing for fall- whatever that is.

I would stay at GF over CR. I like to walk around the grounds there and I like the walk to Poly a lot.

QOTD, summer is officially over! While it may not feel that way yet to most of us in the southern states it is. lol Anyway, early this summer I asked what were your goals for the summer regarding running. How did you do?

1) To stay healthy.
2) To follow my 10th DopeyBadger plan, although back at the beginning they were just known to me as me plans. This one is a little less custom and a little more to the book. I'm following Jack Daniels 4 week cycle marathon plan. It'll be my first Daniels marathon plan and I'm interested to see how it goes. It'll be 6 days per week running with only 2 hard days per week (Wed and Sun). But those hard days are an absolute beast with the durations getting up to 2.5 hrs for both the mid-week and weekend runs. So it's going to be a challenge, but one that I welcome. I'm doing this in an effort to absolutely drive home M Tempo pace in advance of my Chicago Marathon. In the past, my continuous M Tempo has peaked at 10 miles (70 min) but this plan will take me out to 15 miles continuous (102 min) and 16 miles with a brief break (108 min). I'm excited to reap the benefits. If you want to read more detail see here (link) and here (link) and here (link).

Well since goal 1 was "To stay healthy", then I guess I get a D. Definitely had a setback in August/September. So I didn't get to fully attempt #2. But working my way back in advance of the Chicago Marathon to occur not this weekend but the next. I'll let whatever happen happen. But I've got some hard thinking and evaluating to do again to try and come up with explanations and solutions.

ATTQOTD: B I completed the HM training plan targeting 7:45/mile pace. Two weeks before the HM, I ran a 10k to test out pacing and things went well at 7:30/mile. Then a big chest cold hit and I only ran once between the 10k and the HM. Spent the first 6 miles of the race coughing and trying to clear my throat. :crazy2: Ended up finishing the HM at 7:58/mile average pace, which means I missed my A corral goal by about 2 seconds per mile according to DopeyBadger's corral tables :sad: Oh well, on to marathon training

Todays QOTD, summer is officially over! While it may not feel that way yet to most of us in the southern states it is. lol Anyway, early this summer I asked what were your goals for the summer regarding running. How did you do?

B+ for me. Didn't necessarily get the miles in that I wanted too, but enough to keep me going and stay injury free or at least no further aggravation of my minor aches and pains. The lawn looks great though after cross-trading with lawn mowing and a wet summer!

My vote is GF, but you may want to come over to the party side with us at the BC/BCVs!

ATTQOTD: Happy Summer! My summer plan is to build mileage because I will be signing up for my 1st marathon in <1 month!!
(It feels like anything but summer here... high is 65F today which is crazy low for this time of year and so much rain! It will be back in the 90s next week though.)

ATTQOTD: I had a good summer of enjoyable running- I'll definitely mark that as a win! I didn't build mileage quite like I originally planned, but was in a good place to start marathon training.

Here's a to a great fall running season! As long as I stay healthy, I hope for great few months of miles!

Yesterday's QOTD: No Marathon Weekend for me next year, which bums me out because I really like the Goofy medal, BUT I'm doing Star Wars weekend, so I've got that to look forward to.

Today's QOTD: I'd give myself a B- for summer goals. My first goal was to keep up with training while on vacations, which I did okay with, but still missed a few. My second goal was to get through my marathon training plan uninjured, which I'm doing okay with (currently peak week), although the last couple of weeks I've had a few aches & pains, some familiar and some new that I've been dealing with, but nothing serious I hope.

Bonus: I will always go with the cheaper option if travelling with the family, but will sometimes spend a bit more if travelling with just DH or friends.

ATTQOTD: I'd give myself an A. My only goal was to consistently run this summer which I did. I usually gave up once June came along and didn't start back up until the end of September. I missed some runs here and there and used the treadmill a lot, but I DID IT!!!

Bonus QOTD: That's a tough choice. Garden Wing at CR would mean you won't get stuck with a room right above Chef Mickey's, but the GF resort grounds are just beautiful. I don't care for the bathroom set up at GF though. The room with the shower and toilet is itty bitty. The bathroom doors literally rub on the front of the toilet bowl when you open and close them.

A big fat D for me. June was great. July below average with some planned rest. August and the first week of September were awful. Significant work commitments, injury and general lack of focus. Have had to delay a few events but it looks like a busy race schedule for October-December.

As to rooms, I just registered yesterday and haven't even started the room search. I need the fairy room reservation assistant to magically grant a fabulous room at a low price.

ATTQOTD: While I wasn't around to set a goal for the summer here, I give myself a A- based on the fact that while I could have ran more, and more than once cut a run short because it was just too dang hot, now that it isn't surface of the sun hot, I still improved my pace a good bit compared to the beginning of summer, and I did run a HM distance on July 4th at what was my goal pace for my first official HM @ RnR Savannah.

ATTQOTD: Okay, I had to revisit my goals - My summer running goals are 1) stick with my @DopeyBadger plan that gets me to my race in September (even when the weather is miserably hot), 2) take the opportunity to swim in the lake on the weekends immediately following my long runs, 3) stay properly hydrated, 4) don't die.

I will give myself a B. I struggled through some of these hot hot summer days but I never gave up on my plan. I swam in the lake after a run ONE time and it felt glorious but it made my car a mess and that wasn't worth me doing it again. I definitely stayed hydrated for the most part. And looky here: I am still alive.

ATTQOTD (today): I am running one half per month this year, so those will keep me on track, as well as my @DopeyBadger plan. I'm still hoping to get a little faster in preparation for my fall/winter marathon.

I had to go find mine...and since I was so vague I'd give myself an A. I followed my training plan and have currently completed 8 half marathons for 2018, with my other 4 already scheduled. I'm not sure if I got faster or not, because I haven't been able to gauge that with all the heat we have had.

ATTQOTD: I have no idea what I put for my goals, but I am happy with where I am at right now, ramping up training to start my training plan in the next couple of weeks....so I guess I will give myself a solid B. It has been sooooooooo hot and humid in Houston, that I pushed my PR attempt Half from Nov to Jan, which pushed back the start of training plan from Aug to Oct. Just did not want to ramp up speed/tempo work this summer.

ATTQOTD: I would give myself a "B." I didn't have any goals in June and only ran 26 miles. July-August-September I exceeded my mileage and hit most pacing goals.
I would give myself a better grade but most of my runs were on treadmill this summer. My treadmill fitness does not always translate to race fitness.

ATTQOTD #2: We usually stay off-site except for 2015 when we stayed at Art of Animation. I love the Contemporary and cast my sentimental vote to stay there.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:
So far, so good! I am doing the Higdon Novice 1 plan, so I am starting week 3 today. It is very scary to look ahead to the big mileage weeks, so I am just trying to stay in the week I'm in and maybe look ahead to the next week.

I have been so busy doing other things, the thought of traveling to WDW seems a little lost at the moment. I am ready to get things rolling and get my park plannin' on!!
I'm right there with you, though I started week 3 yesterday. 4 miles tonight...

ATTQOTD: A+ for me. My goal was to build miles and enjoy running in the warm summer sun. I ran consistently 5 days a week every week in the summer and built miles from 80-90 per month range to 170-180 per month. I do love running in the heat and I will miss it when winter comes. As a bonus I also did things I have never done before running including fueling during a long run, doing water stops, running at a very slow pace to build endurance and peaking my mileage at 18 miles. All of that in prep for Goofy training which started 2 weeks ago.

For the bonus question, definitely the Grand over the Contemporary, especially if it is cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter