The Running Thread - 2018

I'm officially on week 2 of my training plan for the half (which is unofficially week 1 due to a short Disney trip last week and the fact I only got 1 run in). Trainer (DopeyBadger) okayed me to skip week 1 and go straight to 2 which is going really well considering I've only had to do 1 run so far this week :teeth:.

But in all honestly, my last plan went really well so I'm not too concerned. I will say that he's definitely challenging me this time (I asked for it) and I've never trained for a half so it will certainly be interesting. Ask this again in a few weeks and my reply maybe different :laughing:

ATTQOTD: tapering for a marathon now and then will take some recovery time off and start up my training for WDW HM thereafter. I have zero plan to PR the half so I'm ok not starting just yet. But definitely want to do a bridge plan so as not to be totally rusty come race day.

Last edited:

Can I please pick the brains of those more well-traveled and/or familiar with London than I am?

I’m headed to London for a work trip in late October. I’ll land late on a Saturday and leave around 4pm the following Saturday. I expect my days to be very full with work. Which leaves my daytime touring limited to Sunday and part of the following Saturday.

I’ve JUST found out that there’s a 10K in Hyde park the Sunday I’m there. And, coincidentally, I’ve just had to abandon the MCM10k I’ve been training all summer for because of this work trip. Sounds like a no brainer to do the Hyde park one, right? It even comes with a shirt and a medal!

BUT! I’m staying near the London wall and I would definitely need to shower after the race before continuing on with sightseeing. And the race starts late - around 10 AM.

Would you do the race?

It’s my first trip to London but it won’t be my last. I’m not planning to do museums this trip except the British, which is open until 830 one is the weeknights I’m there, so I could do that then. Saving the others for a family vacation.

I’m thinking I could go to services at Westminster or St. Paul’s that morning, do the race, shower at my hotel, head back to Kensington and have tea (Claridge’s? Dorchester?) for lunch, then tour around that area to see Buckingham, Churchill war rooms, Houses of Parliament, etc., then head to a restaurant for an early-ish Sunday roast.

But I’m wondering if that’s way too ambitious for one day. Especially with travel/shower time built in. What would you do? Race? Take it easy? So torn!!

Can I please pick the brains of those more well-traveled and/or familiar with London than I am?

I’m headed to London for a work trip in late October. I’ll land late on a Saturday and leave around 4pm the following Saturday. I expect my days to be very full with work. Which leaves my daytime touring limited to Sunday and part of the following Saturday.

I’ve JUST found out that there’s a 10K in Hyde park the Sunday I’m there. And, coincidentally, I’ve just had to abandon the MCM10k I’ve been training all summer for because of this work trip. Sounds like a no brainer to do the Hyde park one, right? It even comes with a shirt and a medal!

BUT! I’m staying near the London wall and I would definitely need to shower after the race before continuing on with sightseeing. And the race starts late - around 10 AM.

Would you do the race?

It’s my first trip to London but it won’t be my last. I’m not planning to do museums this trip except the British, which is open until 830 one is the weeknights I’m there, so I could do that then. Saving the others for a family vacation.

I’m thinking I could go to services at Westminster or St. Paul’s that morning, do the race, shower at my hotel, head back to Kensington and have tea (Claridge’s? Dorchester?) for lunch, then tour around that area to see Buckingham, Churchill war rooms, Houses of Parliament, etc., then head to a restaurant for an early-ish Sunday roast.

But I’m wondering if that’s way too ambitious for one day. Especially with travel/shower time built in. What would you do? Race? Take it easy? So torn!!

I say race! For most of us, how often do we get to race in another country? And you won't have to work it in around family events on a family trip. It's all just want YOU want to do + work obligations. If it turns out you miss a tourist attraction after the race due to time, it sounds like you're planning to return so you can hit it then.

Yesterday ATTQOTD: I don't have a driver's license (this is another one of those NYC vs not-NYC things ... although a lot of people around here do drive sometimes), so I'd go with fly.

Today ATTQOTD: My marathon plan (which will include training for the 5K and 10K) will start in a few weeks. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to play it. This marathon is coming at a pretty bad time for me. Basically, I've been dealing with some severe exhaustion issues and have been barely functioning on caffeine and fumes for a few months now. It's getting better, but there are also some life things that I kinda dropped and I would like to pick up again, so I have to balance that with running and with work, and the 5am wakeups that have been the only way I can run for the last year aren't working for me anymore. So it's going to be a struggle to make and stick with this plan. But I'm gonna do my best.
tl;dr ... training hasn't started yet

(Also, hi everyone! I popped out of my college-football-hating hole for a few seconds. I'm gonna pop back in now :))

I think this plan sounds perfect!

As far as tea goes - you can't go wrong with either Claridge's or Dorchester ... I also like tea at The Savoy, which is another traditional tea service. Claridge's has a better bar for a post-tea cocktail if you feel so inclined.

If you want something super funky and more modern for tea, check out sketch. It's in an art gallery and is freaking amazing.

Yesterday ATTQOTD: I don't have a driver's license (this is another one of those NYC vs not-NYC things ... although a lot of people around here do drive sometimes), so I'd go with fly.

Today ATTQOTD: My marathon plan (which will include training for the 5K and 10K) will start in a few weeks. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to play it. This marathon is coming at a pretty bad time for me. Basically, I've been dealing with some severe exhaustion issues and have been barely functioning on caffeine and fumes for a few months now. It's getting better, but there are also some life things that I kinda dropped and I would like to pick up again, so I have to balance that with running and with work, and the 5am wakeups that have been the only way I can run for the last year aren't working for me anymore. So it's going to be a struggle to make and stick with this plan. But I'm gonna do my best.
tl;dr ... training hasn't started yet

(Also, hi everyone! I popped out of my college-football-hating hole for a few seconds. I'm gonna pop back in now :))

This is just so fascinating to me (no driver's license). I feel like if we swapped lives for a day it would be a complete culture shock, lol! Hope you get some rest soon and that things turn around for you!

Thank you @OldSlowGoofyGuy @Keels @Miranda @KellyB and all for you enthusiastic bravos!

ATTQOTD: Since the year was not specified in the question...
Yes, my training for Dopey 2020 is on track. Right now my goal times for each of the 5k, 10k and Half have all been achieved in 2018 so I am looking at opening my horizons.
I have already planned and registered for my races until June 2019 in order to arrive ready for Dopey 2020. I am still debating whether I wan’t Dopey to be my first Full or not (knowing that in the later case I will probably want to attempt a BQ in which case I might not enjoy the distance at all).
And I have started saving for the trip.

I've got enough terrible race photos to know exactly what I look like to others when I'm running. Hey @LSUlakes, maybe this could be a good Fun Friday question some week - post your best and your worst race photo. Only one of each per person. :)

I have no race pics so I guess that never occurred to me. Good point though. I meant it more as I wonder how fast I look as people drive by.

Thanks, it did go away but I was concerned as it has happened twice at about the same time/distance, so I wondered if I am not doing something well or it is just some sort of normal body rebellion.
I figure I look like an idiot often when running, which is part of why I prefer to start and finish running a few blocks away from home where people may not know me!

I have not saved most race photos but after yesterday's Angry Donald Medal came out, I realize when I run I look more like a famous animated character than I am happy about.

It usually happens to me around 3.5-4 miles when it happens. It also usually only happens at the beginning of the season when I am starting to increase my miles. Your shoes may also be tied too tight, but I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.

QOTD: For those running one of the race for Marathon Weekend at WDW, how is training going so far? Have you started, going good / bad, wait... am I supposed to train?

ATTQOTD: I am a bit behind, actually a lot behind on my training. I'm starting to think training for a marathon with two young children may be a bad idea. I must get it together and get some very uncomfortable miles in to have a chance here.

No race for me this year sadly.

It usually happens to me around 3.5-4 miles when it happens. It also usually only happens at the beginning of the season when I am starting to increase my miles. Your shoes may also be tied too tight, but I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.
HA! My thought was 'This is odd, my foot feels like this in my other shoes (which I always tie too tight), but my shorts don't have laces.' Mostly I worried because it is a new longer distance and I really am amazed my body goes that far at all, and I wondered if it was simply rebelling or if I was legit doing something wrong. Too much work stuff to get in a long run this week, but I am hopeful it will be a fluke.

ATYQOTD: I am on week 4 of my DopeyBadger marathon plan. I have only missed one run so far but have had to reschedule a couple. My mileage has been lacking this summer due to numerous things and I am just starting to amp things back up again. Of course, now we want to do Dopey and no way would I be ready for that with this plan, lol. Well.... maybe if I just walk the other races? :scratchin

Would you do the race?

Why am I suddenly reminded of trying to plan a Disney trip? ;) How much do you want to try and stuff in one day? This is the question.

Personally, I would simplify your day--but I have been to London multiple times, and so have seen the biggies. If you want to race, which is a neat idea, then afterwards, I would stay on the City of London side. Walk to Leadenhall Market, check out Postman's Park, go to St Paul's, see what's going on at the Barbican, go to the SkyGarden. It's not as touristy, but if you are going to have other days/visits, then you could still see a lot.

Tea sounds great---certain venues won't be serving til later in the pm, but you can always find someplace that will be interesting (check out afternoontea.co.uk and their award winners) I have done Fortnum and Mason--a classic.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong. London is my favorite city to visit.

Would you do the race?

Given that you will be back in London several times again, I'd say do the race. I think your plan is as described, doable if not a bit ambitious. It also depends on where you are coming from and if how well you tolerate a bit of jet lag.

I've been to London 6-7 times in the last 4 years, usually very short (1-2 day) stays on my way back to the US from the Middle East on business trips. During my first time in London I visited the British Museum, ate at a chippy place, and took the Big Red Bus Tour. The tour was great in that you saw most of the famous sights and received a good general orientation of the city, but a bit frustrating that I did not have time to use the "hop on, hop off" feature of the tour. On subsequent trips I did a lot of wandering and visited the famous sights.

Westminster and St Paul's are both amazing to visit and worshiping at one or both is still on my bucket list. I also enjoyed in no real order East End food tour, pubs, Harrods, Hamleys toy store, National Gallery and Portrait Gallery, the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace, pubs, Portobello Road markets, Indian restaurants, Crown Jewels, and just wandering around. Oh, and going to various pubs. I seem to gravitate towards the Piccadilly Circus tube stop (Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, Regent Street, Hamleys, Apple store for wifi away from hotel) walking up Regent Street to Oxford (Golden Union chippy, Brew Dog Soho). I have not been to the Churchill War Rooms but want to on my next trip. High tea has never appealed to me, but I think I am an exception.

Last edited:

Would you do the race?

London is my absolutely favorite city! I lived there for about a year. As far as the race goes, that is really up to you. Hyde park is fairly large and I would definitely recommend taking the tube there and back to your hotel. However, it will probably eat up more time than you think. I would definitely pick and choose what you want to see. Westminster and St. Pauls are amazing, but I would recommend visiting them outside of a service to get the true feel. I would Westminster if you plan to walk around Buckingham, and the house of parliament as it is closer there.

Fortnum and mason is my absolutely favorite for tea. It as totally worth the price and a lot of food. Plus I love that store. I would also recommend ye olde cheshire cheese, any restaurants down borough market, and Gordon's Wine Bar. Have Fun!

Sorry for the delay this morning. Disney decided on top of all the ticket talk, that today would be a great day to release promotions from Jan to April! Also, traffic was bad this morning making me a hour late for work. Todays QOTD, summer is officially over! While it may not feel that way yet to most of us in the southern states it is. lol Anyway, early this summer I asked what were your goals for the summer regarding running. How did you do?

ATTQOTD: I will give myself a C-.

Bonus Question of a personal note: For marathon weekend I have two options now resort wise. The option is Contemporary - Garden Wing, Standard View or Grand Floridian - Outer Bldg Lagoon View($117.00 ish cheaper) What says the DIS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter