The Running Thread - 2020

Sweet! I need to find a semi-local series that has linking medals. Lake Chabot is a little far for me and violates my 'one-way travel time should roughly equal your finish time' rule.

They do at least one other like that, which we're looking into for this year. Problem is that the next ones are the weekend before and after the Princess Half, and the other ones are around Thanksgiving (when we're off at my in-laws'). But, still, doesn't help unless you're Bay Area local.

I like the 2020km goal - If I try hard enough, I could probably achieve that. 2020 miles - that is never going to be in the cards for me! Well, maybe when my kids are grown and out of my house...

Started off 2020 right with a party with the local running club - a 6.3 mile run and then good food at one of the member's houses.

Hello everyone. I fell way behind last year when work got crazy and never really caught up. I'm hoping to keep up and post more this year. @LSUlakes I can add TX to my list of states run if it is you that maintains that spreadsheet in the first post.

Started 2020 running a trail race course I am doing in a few weeks. It is a prediction race so I wanted to run the course and it was my first time using a course with my 945. It really worked well and I will probably use it more for trail runs.

I got to the gym today at 1:59, only to find out it was closing at 2. So I braved the cold and decided to run outside. It's my first outside run in a few weeks, and it went really well (probably because it was only 2.25 miles:smooth:). I was excited because it was the first time I've gotten to really use my Garmin Forerunner 235. I realized I have no idea how to really use it, so now I'm spending tonight looking for YouTube tutorials.

If you haven't already check out DCRainmaker's posts on the watch:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.htmlhttps://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/garmin-fr230-fr235-fr630.html
For what it's worth I never buy any sports tech without checking his site first.

Good morning and happy new year!! Lets get this year long party started with a QOTD: What are you running / health related goals of 2020?

ATTQOTD: First goal... do not do what I did in 2019! Second goal is to get back into running shape and run a half marathon under 2 hours. Goal 3, run in the morning and start training my very active dog to do so as well. Goal 4 is to lose 40lbs. I've done it once before, and Im going to have to do it again!

The pup is old enough to start some C25K training and I think that will make everyone happy around the house lol. In addition to that one I recently got a Garmin 945! That thing has new cool stuff on it! I think this is the first GPS watch I have that I am still not 100% certain of everything it can do! Time to youtube it and get the most out of this watch. My official goals will start in the first full week of the new year. Going to have to go to the grocery to buy some "healthy" food items for the house.

Good morning and happy new year!! Lets get this year long party started with a QOTD: What are you running / health related goals of 2020?

Main goal is to eat better. I am not terrible but need to eat more healthy fats and less carbs.
Second is to spend more time running trails. 2016 I did about ten trails runs but this year I want to spend more time running trails.
As of right now I plan to run the Space Coast full and attempt another BQ. I need a 3:10 and my PR is 3:16 but that was 2011. I'm going to use the Hanson Method and more structure than my previous attempts and with the race being later in the year I will be doing my long runs in hopefully better weather.

He’s back! :)

My first running goal is to survive Dopey. I’m trying out a new coach and the plan she’s given me is like nothing I’ve used before. I’m curious to see if it works. Second goal is the Ride London 100 in August. Third goal is either IMFL in Nov, IMWA in Dec, or a marathon in Auckland in the fall.

ATTQOTD:
1. Transition my training from my first full into a sustainable running routine. DON'T JUST STOP like I did in 2017!
2. Find a 5K/10K or two this spring and a fall Half or Full to sign up for.
3. Maintain what I've learned and continue to eat healthy after my noom subscription ends.

ATTQOTD:
Health: My primary health goal in 2020 is to get back to watching my calories and get a few pounds off early in the year. Being in constant training for the marathon distance has led to a false sense of security that I could largely eat whatever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to. Not only does that not work out, it led to bad habits creeping back into my diet that were magnified when the holidays coincided with an "injury" that limited my running. So I'm not very happy with where I am weight-wise right now. No excuses, I did it to myself and now I have to fix it.

Running: I turn 50 in 2020. I would like to run either a 100k or 100m race before I hit that milestone. My best candidate race is Blackbeard's Revenge at the end of March. It's a nice, flat course down the outer banks of NC. I've given myself until the end of Dopey recovery to decide on whether I'm going to go for it and what distance I'll shoot for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to shake the hamstring tightness that flared up in November. Every time I make it 2-3 weeks without discomfort and think I've moved on, it tightens back up (like it did last night >:(). It's not strained or pulled, it just tightens up and I have to slow down or it gets increasingly uncomfortable and feels like it could go twang. I'm pretty frustrated, at this point.

Setting that goal aside, I currently have Dopey and the Rival Run/Kessel Run Challenges on my docket for the year and I'm strongly considering adding Wine & Dine to that list, given the villains theming. At some point, I will also most likely look for a fall marathon to put on the calendar to help keep my motivation up through the hot summer months.

Last edited:
Running: I turn 50 in 2020. I would like to run either a 100k or 100m race before I hit that milestone.

Me too! I suppose doing my first full before my 50th was really my goal, but my bday is 12/30 and my race is next week so it doesn't feel connected. Maybe I'll set the goal of signing up for Dopey 2021 if the full doesn't kill me?!

ATTQOTD:

Health: This is directly related to my running goals but basically my goal is to keep my dad-bod from taking over. I did a good job of eradicating most of it when I was training for my 50 miler last spring but as my monthly mileage dipped it slowly came back. It seems like I need to keep my mileage above 75/month.

Running: After doing my first Dopey and my "50 miler in my 50th year" in 2019, I have no major goals planned for 2020........yet.
I promised my wife I wouldn't do another 50 miler because the training plan really ate up a lot of my time on weekends and kept me away from family. It doesn't look like I'll be back for a RunDisney event anytime soon with one teenager getting ready to go to college in the fall and another the following fall......so I need to plan for some relatively local 1/2's and the like.
I already signed up for one in June and have a couple others on the radar. Unfortunately, North Face cancelled their Endurance Challenge series of which I planned on hitting at least two.
Kicking around doing Ragnar Trail in NJ this fall with possibly doing the Challenge relay. Philly RnR 1/2 is a possibility.

But the one big one that I can't seem to get out of my head is an attempt to "run" the Presidential Traverse in NH in a single day. I just need to convince my friend......and the find the courage....Stay tuned.

Got it!

The spreadsheet is just so big I can't figure out how to get a clear enough picture of it to post. So here is a view-only link if anyone wants to see if there are any changes that need to be made. Just let me know!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qo9vnIse-Xf7-ICMCWe1FK7mYSi8_Ls8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for maintaining the list, can you x off Maine and Connecticut for me?

ATTQOTD: A few goals for 2020, looking to run 1000 miles this year, planning on doing all 4 challenges at WDW,
hoping to set a new PR for 5K,10K,Half, and Full, and I would like to find some more local races that I enjoy as much as Disney.
After all that I hope to be injury free and still enjoy running, not too much to ask, is it?

2020 goals: Run consistently. Eat well consistently. Invest consistently. CONSISTENCY!

"A DREAM written down with a date becomes a GOAL.
A GOAL broken down into steps becomes a PLAN.
A PLAN backed by ACTION becomes REALITY."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter