The Running Thread - 2020

Got it!

The spreadsheet is just so big I can't figure out how to get a clear enough picture of it to post. So here is a view-only link if anyone wants to see if there are any changes that need to be made. Just let me know!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qo9vnIse-Xf7-ICMCWe1FK7mYSi8_Ls8/view?usp=sharing

@jennamfeo Thanks for keeping track of this. Would you please add Wisconsin for me? Also, if I'm following the columns downward correctly, I think I've been accidentally marked for Missouri instead of Montana - I've run in Montana. Thanks!

ATTQOTD:
Well my immediate goal is to not have a time goal for the spring - take it easy, don’t worry about pace, and run with friends! Maybe for the fall if I’m feeling motivated, try for another half under 2 hours so I can keep a decent POT.

ATTQOTD:
1) PR the half Ironman 70.3 - goal time 5:30
2) Find a flat and fast half to PR - I am irked that I barely missed the cut off for B corral for the Disney marathon by apparently less than a minute. I would love to come in under 1:53

ATTQOTD:
My goals for 2020 are as follows:
- Eat better by bringing my lunch to work (so I do not eat out everyday)
- I am taking the table salt off the table!
- Focus on cross training and strength training
- No specific milage goal for the year, I will let my races direct my milage
- For the third time, try to run the Woodstock 100 in the fall
- Enjoy running and try to be present
- Lastly, keep up better with The Running Thread

ATTQOTD:
1) Not injure myself again. This includes no new injuries as well as not having old ones/chronic ones sideline me.
2) Return to half marathon distance
2a) Use the local July half as a supported training run
2b) Race for time in November

I have a 2 year long range plan in mind and 2020 is going to be rebuilding back to where I was in June.

I welcome all levels of runners to participate, from someone who is just looking into getting into running/walking, to elite runners. All distances are also open to discussion. I believe we all have a lot to learn from one another as well as motivate each other along the way. Each day I will (try to) post a Question Of The Day (QOTD) to help keep the conversation going. I also support those who would like to post what there workout is each day, or weekly. It can be running, swimming, bike, weights, or whatever it is you do to exercise.
I used to post only in the threads for races I was running. Since I (very mistakenly) believed that the running thread applied only to very fast runners, I never even lurked in it. But then somehow I started to. And I began to really learn a lot more about running beyond just putting one foot in front of other.

1. This thread taught me how to better handle the mental aspect of running, particularly when things do not go according to plan or just plain go wrong.

2. This thread helped me clear the mental block I had to the marathon. Many people here also helped work through my fears when it came time to actually register for the marathon. And many others then helped me work through my challenges during marathon training.

Lets get this year long party started with a QOTD: What are you running / health related goals of 2020?
1. Finish Dopey 2020 and Star Wars Rival Run 2020 all 3 races.

2. Run consistently after those races are finished. I'm not sure if I'll be running any other races in 2020, but I don't want to slip back into bad fitness habits after my goal races are complete.

Update on Mallory. Got more fluids in her which got things moving. With things moving must have opened up space. She is now eating normally again. We think a lot of this was from the dehydration which we (and the vet) thinks was caused by the antibiotic. She will stay off it till Sunday and then start up with half doses. Unfortunately the infection is MRSI, so she needs to take the antibiotic.

I am glad she is feeling better and acting more herself.

Excited to jump in and be active on this thread this year!

ATTQOTD:
My health and running goals this year are:
1. Run 1000K - I love the idea of 2020K but I want to keep my goals more attainable and then push past them if I get to that point
2. Finish my first half marathon (Princess Half Weekend)
3. Complete a total of three 5Ks, two 10Ks and three half marathons
4. Complete my first RunDisney challenge weekend (eyeing up Wine and Dine Two Course Challenge for this)
5. Drink no more than one soda/finish at least one of my giant cup fulls of water per day

Since I (very mistakenly) believed that the running thread applied only to very fast runners, I never even lurked in it. But then somehow I started to. And I began to really learn a lot more about running beyond just putting one foot in front of other
I’m the same and feel strange contributing sometimes as a “slow poke”.
2019 was my first full year running, and I know a lot of what I learned came from this thread as well.

ATTQOTD 2020 goal: I think I’m going to keep it simple and just plan on running 3 times per week. I was going to make a weekly mileage goal, but I think this will work better for me in the long run (pun unintentional but laughs are appreciated).

QOTD: What are you running / health related goals of 2020?
My first big goal is to actually step away from running a bit. For the last few years, my race schedule has basically dictated my life schedule and I really started to resent running for that reason. Over the summer I tried putting life (and other exercise, actually) first and running second and I was so much happier. So my goal for 2020 is to develop an overall fitness routine (which will include running and other exercise) that I can fit into my life schedule, and to learn to be okay with skipping a run or a workout because life came up.

My second big goal is to get my eating under control. It starts with limiting my snacking. Which is tough, because my office has some good snacks. I'm trying to meal plan, but sometimes that's not enough to stop me from snacking.

"A DREAM written down with a date becomes a GOAL.
A GOAL broken down into steps becomes a PLAN.
A PLAN backed by ACTION becomes REALITY."

I love this!!

I’m the same and feel strange contributing sometimes as a “slow poke”.
2019 was my first full year running, and I know a lot of what I learned came from this thread as well.
This thread helped me break down so many barriers to the marathon. And when training discouraged me, I knew that I could share my frustrations here and either get some sense knocked into me or a reminder that I was doing okay. At that time I wasn't sure which was the better course, just that I needed to express my fears and get out of my own head. Either way it worked.

I hope that new runners or slow runners understand that we don't really care how fast you are. I have learned so much from much more experienced and faster runners than me who felt that if they had any duty to me, it was to help encourage me in the pursuit of my running goals whatever those were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter