The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Out of curiosity... don't costume guidelines prevent people from getting dressed up as Cast Members?

I saw I don't know how many people either dressed up as PhotoPass employees or VIP guides during Marathon Weekend and I thought that was a big no-no? But I don't see it in the costume guidelines, so it might apply only in the parks?
It's more dressing up as characters and acting like a character stop during the race and in the parks. We're not officially characters and they don't want non-Disney employees posing at characters. For the race you can cosplay as much as you want, for almost anything, but they will (and should) take balloons away so you're not confused with the balloon ladies.

Are there any reports of people being turned away unless they take care of things that might go against the newer rules? I didn’t really get the sense that they were being very strict about it, that announcement was more them being a bit more proactive about reining people in bc it was getting crazy.

The balloon lady costume though… 😖 Hopefully with more experience RD DL will be more aware of this stuff.

IMG_4936.jpeg
I am still struggling with my 10M costume Festival of the Lion King meets Broadway and the Rio Carnival… Too many ideas, not enough fun fabric/ribbon find. I can’t seem to get a cohesive wow effect. I considered this as my base but it just looks like I am going to the beach.
IMG_4887.jpeg
ETA: Other dress I own that would be more in theme but I don’t want to shorten them.
IMG_4901.jpegIMG_4883.jpeg

Last edited:

I think those pieces look great as a base! I like in your drawing how you added some arm pieces and a fringe to the neckline. If you don't already have those ears, you could do a (smaller scale, not as elaborate) lion headdress à la Broadway.

Are there any reports of people being turned away unless they take care of things that might go against the newer rules? I didn’t really get the sense that they were being very strict about it, that announcement was more them being a bit more proactive about reining people in bc it was getting crazy.

The balloon lady costume though… 😖 Hopefully with more experience RD DL will be more aware of this stuff.
I don't know about reports, but seeing as they showed two people dressed up as slinky on screen during the 5k...

View attachment 827933
I am still struggling with my 10M costume Festival of the Lion King meets Broadway and the Rio Carnival… Too many ideas, not enough fun fabric/ribbon find. I can’t seem to get a cohesive wow effect. I considered this as my base but it just looks like I am going to the beach.
View attachment 827934
ETA: Other dress I own that would be more in theme but I don’t want to shorten them.
View attachment 827946View attachment 827947
I think those pieces look great as a base! I like in your drawing how you added some arm pieces and a fringe to the neckline. If you don't already have those ears, you could do a (smaller scale, not as elaborate) lion headdress à la Broadway.

I agree, the key here is the accessories! I saw someone at one of the DL races with a big fan strapped to her back like wings, that curved up behind her head. Looked super cool! I also saw two women who had fashioned "wings" with a light piece of fabric attached at the back collar of the shirt and elastic at the wrists (printed with bird feathers). It looked pretty easy and comfortable.

I'm not sure your tolerance for that kind of thing, but you could do arm sleeves with something printed or attached, or do an oversized headpiece made of craft foam attached to a hat or headband. I think you just need a few over-the-top details to push it the right direction.

Important question for all you experts: If you put crinoline or some kind of "tutu" material under a skirt, doesn't it just bunch up between your legs when you're running? How do you avoid this? Do you have to have a layer of skirt *under* the puffy stuff? Even so, I'm anxious about trying this in a race.

Important question for all you experts: If you put crinoline or some kind of "tutu" material under a skirt, doesn't it just bunch up between your legs when you're running? How do you avoid this? Do you have to have a layer of skirt *under* the puffy stuff? Even so, I'm anxious about trying this in a race.
I ran in a 1950’s-style dress with a full, knee-length crinoline under it - it was GLORIOUS! No bunching at all and it made the most amazing swishing sounds as I ran! It seriously made me want to run all future races in it lol! My crinoline has a smooth, satiny layer on its outermost and innermost layers, with tulle sandwiched between. The only challenge was navigating potties, but I quickly realized I had to just bunch it up and tuck under my arm, then fluff it back out when I exited.

I ran the whole DL 10K and DL half with this crinoline and it was amazing—no bunching, no tangling
IMG_6821.jpegIMG_6776.jpeg

It depends on the skirt I guess? I've run a few races with Dottie skirts and I always have the bunching issue. It's one of the reasons I don't want to wear them going forward.

I know that @Herding_Cats has sometimes added a layer of fabric between her legs and the tulle to avoid this.

I can back up the experience here with my own. One made with a satin layer between you and the tulle works great. I've used various lengths in different races and they do not bunch up. Here is the most recent version I bought, and I ran all six races I did between WDW and DL in January in this (swapped between two of these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MD429W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes in a nice little zipper pouch and squishes super small for packing too! I just put it on a clip hanger and fluff it out with a hairdryer.

It depends on the skirt I guess? I've run a few races with Dottie skirts and I always have the bunching issue. It's one of the reasons I don't want to wear them going forward.

I know that @Herding_Cats has sometimes added a layer of fabric between her legs and the tulle to avoid this.
... aaand I think you are the reason I even had the thought it might be an issue!
I can back up the experience here with my own. One made with a satin layer between you and the tulle works great. I've used various lengths in different races and they do not bunch up. Here is the most recent version I bought, and I ran all six races I did between WDW and DL in January in this (swapped between two of these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MD429W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes in a nice little zipper pouch and squishes super small for packing too! I just put it on a clip hanger and fluff it out with a hairdryer.
I see, so the ones that seem to work well might be longer? Those dottie skirts seem short and that was more what I was thinking for myself. Guess I'll just have to do a test run. I can also try a layer of satin underneath.

I see, so the ones that seem to work well might be longer? Those dottie skirts seem short and that was more what I was thinking for myself. Guess I'll just have to do a test run. I can also try a layer of satin underneath.

I have not had any issues with shorter ones IF they have the satiny under layer.

TEST RUN. For reals.
... aaand I think you are the reason I even had the thought it might be an issue!

For me, shorter is better. Are you specifically running in a Dottie, or just a tulle tutu?

If you have tulle under a “skirt” layer? You can pin the tulle to the skirt layer in the front and that helps a lot. Play around with how high/low your wear the skirt.

I have seen very basic circle skirts (satin) to put under some Dottie skirts, but the skirts that *needed* the underskirt were the longer ones.

If you have a sparkle skirt or skort that already works just wear that under the tutu as a barrier layer.

Springtime Surprise costumes are slowly taking form.

5k Captain Hook, only the Mickey Ears left to build. I ask my family to help me find a white fluffy feather and my mom showed up with a couple of pillows…
IMG_5031.jpeg

10k Kevin, simple royal blue top is sewn. Reading the tutu discussion intensely as I hope to do something like this (photo not mine). Please keep providing updates on the experiment results.
IMG_3075.jpeg
10M Lion King is still a question mark. DH recommends that I use this dress by shortening it (it is too long anyway). It does fit the theme nicely but will likely be too muted for a night run.
IMG_6703.jpeg

Springtime Surprise costumes are slowly taking form.

5k Captain Hook, only the Mickey Ears left to build. I ask my family to help me find a white fluffy feather and my mom showed up with a couple of pillows…
View attachment 832906

10k Kevin, simple royal blue top is sewn. Reading the tutu discussion intensely as I hope to do something like this (photo not mine). Please keep providing updates on the experiment results.
View attachment 832907
10M Lion King is still a question mark. DH recommends that I use this dress by shortening it (it is too long anyway). It does fit the theme nicely but will likely be too muted for a night run.
View attachment 832908
I’ve chosen (but not yet ordered) this dress for my Lion King dress. I’m waiting to order until after Wine & Dine themes are released so if I need to order another dress from my favorite store, I can do 2 at the same time and (probably) save on shipping.
IMG_0286.jpeg

Springtime
5k I should have my hook inspired look done for the Gasparilla 8k in a few weeks

10k I still have no clue….idk if I want to do something Up related or stick to the overall adventure theme

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter