The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Took me a few weeks, but finally got around to this. Thank you to whomever mentioned the 2-sided basting tape. I used that to make the hems, and then stitched them down after a short battle with my sewing machine. Turns out it was user error, but still no less annoying.... (I wasn't pulling up the bobbin thread correctly. Go figure). And, as I've mentioned before, moisture-wicking material is a PITA to work with, even with the basting tape.

Anyway, now they are wearable....

Attachments

• race_shirts.JPG
    race_shirts.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 22
Do they sell super glue or something similar at the resort shops? I'm paranoid a few pieces of my costume will get squished the wrong way and come apart in my luggage.

Do they sell super glue or something similar at the resort shops? I'm paranoid a few pieces of my costume will get squished the wrong way and come apart in my luggage.

I wouldn't count on it. But they sell mini, mini tubes (2-3g, ~.1 oz) of it that you could bring with (in a carryon, if you're flying)

I had a frantic search for super glue during Wine and Dine. I was staying at the Swan and found some at their business center, so if your resort has one of those you might be in luck. But it's definitely safer to bring some with you if you have time to pick up a tube.

I looked for super glue when staying at BLT and wasn’t able to find any at the contemporary. Even asked maintenance if they had any, with no luck. Now we just keep some in our owners locker, like completely normal people…

I wonder if any of the gas stations on property would have super glue? I've picked up odd items like that at the Speedway near the Boardwalk before. There's also a fairly good sized one near Disney Springs.

Anybody have any tips & tricks for securing a tiara to your head for a race? Any videos or step-by step instructions? Right now I have rigged up a series of hair ties and bobby pins that is pretty complicated, and I haven't had the guts to test it running outside.

Update on the tutu: I decided against it and instead went with a satiny skirt with a sparkly overlay. I'm going to try to actually run this race mostly and don't need the headache of a bunching skirt.

Anybody have any tips & tricks for securing a tiara to your head for a race? Any videos or step-by step instructions? Right now I have rigged up a series of hair ties and bobby pins that is pretty complicated, and I haven't had the guts to test it running outside.

Update on the tutu: I decided against it and instead went with a satiny skirt with a sparkly overlay. I'm going to try to actually run this race mostly and don't need the headache of a bunching skirt.
depending on how wide the "band" is on the tiara.....velcro. I have a headband that I bought from someone else that has the "sticky" side of the velcro on it and that thing does.not.move. because it sticks to my hair.

depending on how wide the "band" is on the tiara.....velcro. I have a headband that I bought from someone else that has the "sticky" side of the velcro on it and that thing does.not.move. because it sticks to my hair.
Ingenious! My band is really thin, not made for running at all. More the type that looks like it sits around a bun very nicely. I bought it for $5 and it says "ages 8 & up" and you get what you pay for, I'm sure. I'm going to fiddle with it though and see if velcro might help.

Just as an update: I used little hair clips as @flav suggested, and also engineered via hair ties looped together, a way to secure the front directly to the bun itself, making a bridge of ties that then wrapped around the bun in a way that, even if it bounced, it would be tethered to my head and definitely not fly off. Unqualified success! It didn't even budge the whole race.

I'm making glowing blue hair for my daughter's Amphibia costume and ran across a youtube video showing the exact steps I had planned to use with one exception. He's using wig hair to give it a more realistic look. Problem is, there's no dialogue and I've never worked with wig hair before. Anyone able to decipher the steps he's taking here from 21-25 minutes? Not sure I'm going down this road yet, but I have to admit I like the look of it. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter