This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

As I understand it, each plea deal IS different. The government doesn't have to offer a plea. The defendant doesn't have to accept. I'm sure the terms of the probation are also negotiable. As someone mentioned up thread, what benefit does it do to send the GF to prison?

People have gone to jail for much less than this. I think he should go to jail, if for nothing more than to be an example to the public that this type of negligence is not acceptable to society.

People have gone to jail for much less than this. I think he should go to jail, if for nothing more than to be an example to the public that this type of negligence is not acceptable to society.
So you think the public is going to look at this case, see the GF got probation, and decide "eh, that's worth the risk" and put their child over the railing in front of an open window?

So you think the public is going to look at this case, see the GF got probation, and decide "eh, that's worth the risk" and put their child over the railing in front of an open window?
No, but it does open up the discussion of putting children at risk, having something bad happen to them and the responsible adult having no accountability. This, IMHO, leads to putting children at risk/child abuse/child negligence category. I do not wish to open that discussion here.
Thanks for the discussion.

No, but it does open up the discussion of putting children at risk, having something bad happen to them and the responsible adult having no accountability. This, IMHO, leads to putting children at risk/child abuse/child negligence category. I do not wish to open that discussion here.
Thanks for the discussion.
I wouldn't call a guilty conviction and probation "no accountability".

Here's a direct link to the article:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cruise-ship-fall-n1243547?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
I would like to know what happens now with the family's suit against RCI. They haven't dropped it, correct? But it's got to be hard going forward with the suit after accepting a guilty plea.

straight from the news article
"But because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family

so he has admitted nothing that can be used to end that case

Here's a direct link to the article:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cruise-ship-fall-n1243547?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
I would like to know what happens now with the family's suit against RCI. They haven't dropped it, correct? But it's got to be hard going forward with the suit after accepting a guilty plea.
Maybe they can go off of shared culpability? I'm not saying that's right, just wondering if that's the route they may go IF the suit is still kept. Like they think it was still the cruise's ships fault in some way but are saying the grandfather shares in some of that? IDK just thinking out loud.

"But because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family

I would think the fact that he pled guilty can be used. I just really hope RCI doesn't settle, but settling would probably be cheaper than going to court.

It says RCI has video of him leaning out the window prior to holding the child out the window. Then it says the family is saying he could not have leaned out the window “the way the video shows”. What? Is this just sloppy writing or is the family really disputing video evidence?

It says RCI has video of him leaning out the window prior to holding the child out the window. Then it says the family is saying he could not have leaned out the window “the way the video shows”. What? Is this just sloppy writing or is the family really disputing video evidence?
The family and lawyer are disputing the video. They claim a man of Anello's stature physically could not lean over the railing and put his head out of the window. I think everyone else who has ever been on Freedom has debunked that, but that was the story they were preaching.

They are disputing it. Saying he couldn't reach out far enough to hit his head on the glass, and the video is "misleading." :sad2: Never mind his other senses that could have clued him in to the window being open (hearing the work on the dock, the breeze from the open window, smell of the ocean, etc.)

You can go back on this thread and find a link to the videos that clearly shows Anello leaned far out of the window. La Comay (PR tv show) did a re-enactment and he would have had his head outside of the frame of the ship. Then there is another YouTube video of the ship, previous cruise, and you can clearly see the actual distance between the railing and the window. If you watch all 3 you will likely come to the same conclusion the majority on here have -- he knew it was open, but made a horrible and catastrophic decision to lift Chloe up. (and as @sam_gordon said, many of us have been on that ship and know the safety precautions put in place. He is fully responsible for Chloe's death.)

Personally, I think he is living his life sentence knowing he killed his granddaughter. Prison wasn't the answer to this tragedy. I just wish he had to include admission of facts with is plea.

The lawsuit against RCCL is ridiculous. Chloe would be alive if her grandfather provided adequate care. He lifted her up, RCCL isn't responsible for his negligence.

Well you would have though after that child died after being dropped into a wild dog enclosure might have stopped it but it happened again

The family and lawyer are disputing the video. They claim a man of Anello's stature physically could not lean over the railing and put his head out of the window. I think everyone else who has ever been on Freedom has debunked that, but that was the story they were preaching.
I haven't seen the video, but its hard for me to wrap my head around anyone disputing something they can watch a video and actually see being done. There is none so blind as he who will not see (in this case, the family).

I think he is living his life sentence knowing he killed his granddaughter. Prison wasn't the answer to this tragedy.
Agree! Prison is meant to reform and rehabilitate a criminal. The grandfather isn't a criminal. While he should receive a legal punishment for his negligence, imprisonment would not be the right course of action.

The lawsuit against RCCL is ridiculous. Chloe would be alive if her grandfather provided adequate care. He lifted her up, RCCL isn't responsible for his negligence.
Definitely agree. The lawsuit just speaks to the family's denial, looking for someone else to blame. I'm sure its hard to face the fact the grandfather was responsible, and I hope that's why this lawsuit is still pending, and not the fact that they stand to gain some money from it.

so, I’ve been thinking about this...I’ve read a few criminal complaints in CA and the counts are a recitation of the law that is alleged to have been violated. It can be argued that it’s a legal conclusion vs facts but I would think the count of negligent homicide is that the person negligently caused the death of another person. But it doesn’t say “how”“ so I think it can still be used against him. I would expect RCCL to file a cross complaint to add Sam to the case.

I haven't seen the video, but its hard for me to wrap my head around anyone disputing something they can watch a video and actually see being done. There is none so blind as he who will not see (in this case, the family).
They are claiming that the angle is misleading.

I'm not going to link to the video, but if you search "video royal caribbean grandfather drops baby" you'll find a video (with helpful arrows) showing the incident. I'm of the opinion that the angle is not misleading, but I don't want to bias anyone in this regard.

As for the lawsuit, I think they're still in discovery. So we'll see how it plays out.

in 2012 a family with a three year old little boy went to the zoo, his mother placed him on the fence over the enclosure he fell and was killed by the dogs yet again a stupid act that led to the death of a child how many of these do we need before parents realise putting a child in danger like that is stupid whether its over a wild dog enclosure or at an open window 11 floors from the ground these deaths did not need to happen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...can-wild-dogs-fell-pit-zoo--reopen-today.html

in 2012 a family with a three year old little boy went to the zoo, his mother placed him on the fence over the enclosure he fell and was killed by the dogs yet again a stupid act that led to the death of a child how many of these do we need before parents realise putting a child in danger like that is stupid whether its over a wild dog enclosure or at an open window 11 floors from the ground these deaths did not need to happen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...can-wild-dogs-fell-pit-zoo--reopen-today.html
Go back and read the thread. PP wants Anello to go to jail as an "example" so other people won't try the same thing. My point was people aren't going to look at Anello getting probation vs jail time and think "oh, it's ok to do this". Humans will do stupid things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter