This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

They are claiming that the angle is misleading.

I'm not going to link to the video, but if you search "video royal caribbean grandfather drops baby" you'll find a video (with helpful arrows) showing the incident. I'm of the opinion that the angle is not misleading, but I don't want to bias anyone in this regard.

As for the lawsuit, I think they're still in discovery. So we'll see how it plays out.
Well, in this case, what you consider potentially biased is actually just a effort to inform people of the objective truth. Any of us (and the millions of others world-wide) that have been on that ship know perfectly well the video and graphics are completely accurate. It's not an opinion nor should it be. He either projected Chloe through the open window and over the edge of the ship or he didn't (tragically, he did). :sad1: Both of those facts are captured in the video.

I get what you're saying. But still, it's one of those cases where I think it's better just to watch the video(s) and let them speak for themselves.

3 years probation? Is that it?! Why is justice not being done? That was manslaughter; that should have resulted in a custodial sentence, and for much longer than 3 years. Is it any wonder why there's distrust in the justice system?
Probation doesn't bother me. I don't think sending him to prison accomplishes anything. I don't think he'd do anything like this again, and I don't think any other adult is going to think "Hey, Anello just got probation, so I can do it." However, some things in the article stood out to me...
In a statement Monday, Anello said, "After this sentencing, I feel a mixture of anger and relief. Relief that I will serve no jail time and that I did not have to admit any facts. Relief for my family so that we can close this chapter and move on together."
Why are you so afraid of admitting facts? Or what facts are you afraid of admitting?

According to a statement from Winkleman on Monday, the discovery phase in the family's civil case against Royal Caribbean has been completed and "there is not a single piece of evidence to support the argument that Salvatore Anello was aware the window was open."
It's kind of hard to produce evidence of what someone thinks. I can say "I believe grass is blue and the sky is green." You won't be able to produce evidence that I think differently.

Hopefully this case (the civil suit against RCI) will come down to what a REASONABLE person would believe.

Probation doesn't bother me. I don't think sending him to prison accomplishes anything. I don't think he'd do anything like this again, and I don't think any other adult is going to think "Hey, Anello just got probation, so I can do it." However, some things in the article stood out to me...

Why are you so afraid of admitting facts? Or what facts are you afraid of admitting?

It's kind of hard to produce evidence of what someone thinks. I can say "I believe grass is blue and the sky is green." You won't be able to produce evidence that I think differently.

Hopefully this case (the civil suit against RCI) will come down to what a REASONABLE person would believe.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

First, I am not surprised by the sentencing. He basically admitted it when he said, "Relief that I will serve no jail time and that I did not have to admit any facts." Admitting facts like you know you killed her. You knew the window was open because you stuck your entire head out of it. That you dangled a baby over the ship? Part of me wants to have an ounce of sympathy for him. I truly believe this wasn't intentional, just a horrific and tragic accident. But when you say junk like that my empathy towards you is gone. It makes me want you to have nightmares over what you did. :sad2: Which I know is terrible of me, but I can't help it.

"there is not a single piece of evidence to support the argument that Salvatore Anello was aware the window was open."

So Anello sticking his head out, looking around isn't evidence? Dangling her outside of the window isn't either. Interesting. Winky I am not buying what you are trying to sell.

3 years probation? Is that it?! Why is justice not being done? That was manslaughter; that should have resulted in a custodial sentence, and for much longer than 3 years. Is it any wonder why there's distrust in the justice system?
Nobody wins in this case no matter what happens to the Grandpa. The only "justice" that can prevail here is for the egregious civil case against RCCL to be tossed out. The entire family has my sympathy in their unthinkable loss and I hope they come to their senses and seek after peace in a more appropriate direction.

It's an awful tragedy, but keeping the guy in jail is not going to prevent a similar one from happening. He did something stupid, not something meant to break a law for his own advantage, and the universe punished him far more harshly than we ever could. Jail time would just be a waste of taxpayer money here.

Sadly, the "not admitting anything" comment is probably directly related to not wanting to hurt the parents' case against the cruise line (which I think should be dropped).

Justice is already being done for this guy.. He needs to live the rest of his life knowing he was the cause of his grandchild's death. Isn't that enough.. Also him going to jail just cause more grief for the family. I am sure they have their internal issues over this.. As a taxpayer why should I pay for room/board this guy?? He is no threat to society and I would prefer to focus "Justice" on those who knowingly do harm to children.. We got enough of those evil people out there.

As a PP poster said.. The only justice that needs to happen is the civil suit be dropped.

......................................... It makes me want you to have nightmares over what you did. :sad2: Which I know is terrible of me, but I can't help it.............................

IMO, not terrible at all so please don't beat yourself up over your feelings.

Around 8 years old and throwing rocks at the side of a building I broke a glass window. Told my dad and his reply was, "Go to the owner and TELL HIM." The building was a church meeting building so I went to the Pastor's house and rang the doorbell. Explained what had happened and said --- "I was stupid and I am sorry." He thanked me for being honest and forgave me.

Easy - Peasy

Prison is meant for rehabilitating criminals. The man is not a criminal nor does his behavior need rehabilitation. He was completely negligent and guilty of being an idiot, so I think probation was appropriate. I would venture to guess he has learned a lesson and likely will not repeat the behavior.

As far as not wanting to "admit facts", I took that to mean he didn't want to admit to his negligence. In his mind, I would guess he believes it was an innocent accident and not a result of him being negligent. And perhaps he considers it that way as a defense or coping mechanism.

As far as not wanting to "admit facts", I took that to mean he didn't want to admit to his negligence. In his mind, I would guess he believes it was an innocent accident and not a result of him being negligent. And perhaps he considers it that way as a defense or coping mechanism.
Except that the family is suing RCI saying he didn't know the window was open (and there was no way for him to know). If he admitted he made a bad decision, or that it was simply an accident, that wrecks their case against RCI.

Except that the family is suing RCI saying he didn't know the window was open (and there was no way for him to know). If he admitted he made a bad decision, or that it was simply an accident, that wrecks their case against RCI.
Yes, which exactly why he doesn't want to "admit to facts". He wants to believe it was an innocent mistake, but he knows he knew the window was open. But the family wants to at least get a payday from this, or is in extreme denial looking to place blame anywhere else, so he would never admit that.

Yes, which exactly why he doesn't want to "admit to facts". He wants to believe it was an innocent mistake, but he knows he knew the window was open. But the family wants to at least get a payday from this, or is in extreme denial looking to place blame anywhere else, so he would never admit that.

No doubt I believe there is a coping mechanism in his denial. Facing the truth that you killed your granddaughter would send most people over the edge. I know if it were me, I could not live with myself. I think that is where he comes in with the not knowing the window was open, he was color blind, etc. His brain is trying to cope. I understand that.

However, after the fake tear interview, I think he truly knows the reality. That is why when he made that statement about not having to admit facts it angered me. Maybe it is because he doesn't want to come to reality, idk, but my gut says he said that because of the civil suit. If he had to explain the video tape and all the actions he did, the civil suit would be thrown out.

I still cannot believe the family hasn't watched the tape. I can understand parents not wanting to see the final moments - I cannot fault them for that. They want their memories to remain, not the last horrifying images on a grainy video. But they need a honest, non-biased representative to look at it and tell them that this was grandpa's fault. He was negligent, not Royal Caribbean. The whole story is explained in those tapes. Unless they are seeking a payday, I cannot explain why they have this civil suit still going. And if it is for the money, that is grotesque. I am still heartbroken for them, but your time is better spent keeping Chloe's memory alive in a more positive fashion. Just my personal thoughts.

I despise people that try to lessen their guilt by blaming others. This is an example and that lady that dropped her kid into the African dog exhibit in PA and watched the poor kid get mauled to death is another.

These people caused their own tragedy with their negligence. The least they could do is stand up and own it, not blame others or look for a pay day.

Last edited:
My brain tells me that he knows he messed up big time and he is regretful but he must deny total culpability so a semblance of life as it once was can continue until his death AND her family can pursue their attempt at obtaining a PAY DAY resulting from their insistence that the DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF THE SHIP WAS AND CONTINUES TO BE THE PRIMARY CAUSE of this event and WAS PREDICABLE knowing that the Dumas (a Shawshank reference) action of someone would eventually result in a child's life being lost.

Justice is already being done for this guy.. He needs to live the rest of his life knowing he was the cause of his grandchild's death. Isn't that enough.. Also him going to jail just cause more grief for the family. I am sure they have their internal issues over this.. As a taxpayer why should I pay for room/board this guy?? He is no threat to society and I would prefer to focus "Justice" on those who knowingly do harm to children.. We got enough of those evil people out there.

As a PP poster said.. The only justice that needs to happen is the civil suit be dropped.
No its not enough. Jail exists for this reason. His own guilt is not enough.

People didn't read down far enough where Anello also said the reason he doesn't want to admit facts is because: "It was a choice of focusing our resources and deciding the best path to tell Chloe's story and devote our family's energy was in the civil case."

Basically, his lawyers can still spin the fanciful story that he didn't know the window was open at the civil case. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter