This will be our first trip to Universal and we're looking for the best places to eat.

Polybound

Mouseketeer
We're use to the many very good places to eat at Disney, so we don't know what to expect at Universal. We'll only be there 1 day, and I was wondering if there are any cant miss places to eat for lunch and maybe dinner at Universal. Thanks in advance.

If you're Harry Potter fans, try one of those restaurants for lunch. Snack in Simpsons (taco, giant donut...), dinner in CityWalk (Cowfish is good). With one day, I would plan to eat at CityWalk after the park closes so you don't waste precious Park time on a sit down meal.

Hi if your Harry Potter fans than I one of the two restaurants would be good. We prefer Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley for lunch or dinner food. I have not been there but a lot of people recommend Mythos in IOA. If you want to eat at Citywalk outside the park Margaritaville, Bubba Gump and we enjoyed Toothsome.

There is a food sticky near the top of this forum with lots of suggestions and all the menus.

Hi if your Harry Potter fans than I one of the two restaurants would be good. We prefer Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley for lunch or dinner food. I have not been there but a lot of people recommend Mythos in IOA. If you want to eat at Citywalk outside the park Margaritaville, Bubba Gump and we enjoyed Toothsome.

I second the Leaky Cauldron (if you are HP fans), Mythos (in the park), and Bubba Gump (at CityWalk). We have been to all three, and loved them!!

Margaritaville (for the food, atmosphere and cocktails), Mythos (for the food and a midday break) and Bubba Gump (for the theming and to die for shrimp) are our favourites.

Toothsome is also very cool.

I would suggest a breakfast at either Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks then ether skip lunch and do Mythos for dinner or if you're big eaters, go for Cowfish for lunch and a late dinner at Mythos.

If you love the disney food places, you will be excited at the choices at UO.

check out the menu sections damo mentioned.

watch some of the videos of the podcasts of UO and get information of some of the eateries and foods the crew went to

We love Mythos at Islands of Adventure. You will also want to try either Leaky Couldron or Three Broomsticks at WWoHP, just because it is awesome! We also LOVE LOVE LOVE Cowfish!

I would suggest a breakfast at either Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks then ether skip lunch and do Mythos for dinner or if you're big eaters, go for Cowfish for lunch and a late dinner at Mythos.

A late dinner at Mythos? They close at 5 or 6 every evening, depending on weekday/weekend.

A late dinner at Mythos? They close at 5 or 6 every evening, depending on weekday/weekend.

Yea the restaurant is sort of odd. One trip they let us book reservations and when we got there the place was closed. But the interior is amazing and the food is good and surprisingly inexpensive for table service fare. I'd work it in somehow even if it means no cowfish which we love (and were actually there last night)

To be honest, if you're talking Epcot or deluxe hotels, there are good places to eat at Disney World. If you're talking about the Magic Kingdom, HS, or AK, then yeah.. not so much...
Some people REALLY like chicken fingers, hot dogs, burgers, and fries!

Eating is so subjective, but IMO, I'd say many places at Universal offer better food/lower prices than comparable $ options at WDW. Like WDW, Universal is generally great where allergies are concerned. Also, I kind of tend towards healthy, and away from fried food. US has plenty of fried options. REsvervations can be helpful, but unlike WDW, you don't have to make them far in advance. Walk-ups are also generally an option, but popular places do get waits.

If you are on a budget, it is possible to eat at Universal for less $ than comparable WDW. On the cheap, is Panda Express, Burger King and Moe's Mexican in Citywalk. For a tiny bit more, try Breadbox (sandwiches, roughly = Earl of Sandwich), and there's a limited selection sushi counter next door. If the parks close at 9, these places are all very busy 9-10pm. Menchie's +++ frozen yogurt with assorted toppings- pay by the ounce.

2. In parks, our favorite QS are the Harry Potter places. Both offer British foods. (my picks: pulled-chicken salad at 3B and Bangers+Mash at LC!) Both busy 12-1pm! HP ice cream in Diagon Alley super! Also like the kiosk grapes. In DA, we like the Otter's fizzy orange juice (only at the outdoor bar). I can't recall the name of the outdoor bar. HP also offers unique HP beers. Buttterbeer and pumpkin juice are too sweet for me, but fun to try. The kebab stand in Lost Continent also decent.

Our favorite TS in parks are Mythos and Finnegan's. Both better than comparable $ WDW. Mythos has a seasonal risotto; loved every variation we've tried! Also burgers/sandwiches, a few mezze (hummus), up to more expensive entrees. Finnegan's is, as it sounds, an Irish pub.

At hotels, lots of good choices. Italian at Portofino in full range of price points and even a gelato stand. R Pacific has decent sushi from 5pm +. Islands has a super Asian napa cabbage salad w/ oranges + ginger dressing. Sapphire Falls also has some interesting options, though trends towards adult tastes. Food generally has Caribbean theme, and the decor is super.

If you wish to venture slightly off-property, we like nearby Whole Foods plaza. (sand Lake Rd) The Whole Foods has a WIDE array of healthy prepared options! My gosh, they have (lots of) soups, salad bar, hot bar, bbq, pizza, fresh juice bar, seafood (key lime shrimp!), sushi, full bakery, and a full grocery store! One caution is that you can spend a small fortune, but we really enjoy getting a healthy, delicious meal there. The same shopping plaza has several other inexpensive places to eat, and ample outdoor seating.

Desserts at the Chocolate Emporium are a bit over the top for us, but entrees were super. Expect LONG waits - BUT - they text your phone when your table is (almost) ready, so you can roam far while you wait. Cowfish is also very good for lunch, and fun for everyone.

All that said, Universal also has some dining places that are less ideal, IMO. A few tend towards only fried. Fried chicken over a waffle and giant pink doughnuts aren't my cup of tea. Like WDW, there's also plenty of classic theme park foods. Oh, and lots of candy options! If you like Mickey desserts, there are lots of very creative HP desserts/candies!

Last edited:
2. In parks, our favorite QS are the Harry Potter places. Both offer British foods. (my picks: pulled-chicken salad at LC and Bangers+Mash at 3B!) Both busy 12-1pm! HP ice cream in Diagon Alley super! Also like the kiosk grapes. In DA, we like the Otter's fizzy orange juice (only at the outdoor bar). I can't recall the name of the outdoor bar. HP also offers unique HP beers. Buttterbeer and pumpkin juice are too sweet for me, but fun to try. The kebab stand in Lost Continent also decent.

You have your meals backwards at LC/3B.

another Vote for Mytho's all the times we have eaten there was without reservation we did max 20 min wait it was worthy. Stay away from any Chicken alfredo pasta from any of the quick service restaurants it is AWFUL, think of bland chicken soaked on white milk :sad2:
The 3 broomsticks offer the best value for a family size dinner with The Great Feast you can feed 4 to 5 people for around $50

We loved the big donut by Simpsons to split for breakfast (we aren't big breakfast eaters - split it 5 ways) and Toothsome was awesome for dinner and desert. We loved both our meals and the milkshakes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter