Time to rant...

Yes. That's my husband's choice. I agree. But he feels he doesn't have a choice. He's not going to let someone with a baby stand.

Ok. I guess I just don’t understand complaining about a stranger’s behavior when it has no affect on you unless you choose to let it, as your husband does. It also seems a bit off topic of the OP.

We stayed at all star music. Three consecutive times on this trip we waited 40+ minutes for a bus to come get us. The last time this happened we ended u[ being 30 minutes late for our Chrystal Palace reservation. Before people chime in and say I should have left earlier... I think being at our bus stop 45 minutes before the reservation should suffice. Isn't that the benefit to staying on property?

TIA

Honestly? No. 45 minutes prior to your reservation isn't nearly enough time. The expected wait time is up to 20 minutes, the ride from All Stars to MK is about 15 minutes (and more in traffic), then you have to go thru security and enter the park. There is a reason why Disney suggests 1 hour transportation time.

If you drove up, why not drive?, especially if you were feeling that they buses were inconvenient.

Yes. That's my husband's choice. I agree. But he feels he doesn't have a choice. He's not going to let someone with a baby stand.

If you don't want your husband to stand up for someone with an infant, then why don't you yourself jump up before he can and offer your seat instead?

That's what I'd do, if I was worried about my husband's bad ankle. And then I'd loudly insist he keep sitting, while pointing out that he has a bad ankle. :laughing:

Also, another strategy you could try... park your husband in the very rear of the bus, on the back seat in the corner. That way, he won't be able to offer his seat (since any late comers will be standing at the front), and he won't have to feel guilty about it.

Honestly? No. 45 minutes prior to your reservation isn't nearly enough time. The expected wait time is up to 20 minutes, the ride from All Stars to MK is about 15 minutes (and more in traffic), then you have to go thru security and enter the park. There is a reason why Disney suggests 1 hour transportation time.

If you drove up, why not drive?, especially if you were feeling that they buses were inconvenient.

We treat these trips as a getaway and not driving used to be part of that. We paid a lot more to stay on property for that perk.

I now know that its not a perk and is a disadvantage.

Will save money from now on staying off-site and stay under better accommodations.

Again - I can stay at the Gaylord or the Ritz for close to the same price as Port Orleans... think about that...

I know what you're saying.

My point was that people with babies have to wait in Disney for all sorts of things. Waiting ten minutes for another bus so that they can safely sit with their baby is just that... Another ten minute wait. I don't think it's unreasonable. I've seen parents do it and to me it makes sense. They are now in the front of the line for the next bus and can sit with their baby safely. I saw one baby squirming all over the place and the father had a tough time holding it and holding on to the pole at the same time.

I guess I have an issue with someone risking their baby getting hurt just so they can get on a bus and not wait for the next one. Unless of course they assume someone will give up their seat for them, and then that raises my other issue.
I think we need to stop judging others on their decisions. We don't know why they decide to board a full bus knowing they will be standing, it could be many things. I don't think that parents are willing to risk injury, most probably feel comfortable standing and holding a baby.
Your husband's decision is his own as well as parents with kids.

Ok. I guess I just don’t understand complaining about a stranger’s behavior when it has no affect on you unless you choose to let it, as your husband does. It also seems a bit off topic of the OP.
I guess it's just one of those things. It's kind of like you replying to my comment. My comment has no affect on you, neither does the fact that it's off topic, yet you chose to address it. Sometimes we feel compelled to comment on something for whatever reason.

I do apologize if I've offended anyone with my comments though.

If you don't want your husband to stand up for someone with an infant, then why don't you yourself jump up before he can and offer your seat instead?

That's what I'd do, if I was worried about my husband's bad ankle. And then I'd loudly insist he keep sitting, while pointing out that he has a bad ankle. :laughing:

Also, another strategy you could try... park your husband in the very rear of the bus, on the back seat in the corner. That way, he won't be able to offer his seat (since any late comers will be standing at the front), and he won't have to feel guilty about it.

I already addressed my concerns about giving up my seat...

LOL. We don't usually get the pick of seats but I will keep that back seat in mind.

Last edited:
I already addressed by concerns about giving up my seat...

LOL. We don't usually get the pick of seats but I will keep that back seat in mind.

You did say you're willing to wait, so that you can sit. If that's the case, then you probably do have a decent chance at getting the back seat. My husband and I do the same thing, and there's very frequently room in the back. People have a tendency to sit in the first available seat, leaving the back open.

Anyway, what it comes down to is that I can't agree with you that a person with an infant in arms should stand around waiting another 20 minutes or more, just because your husband can't control his impulse to be gallant.

Last edited:
I think we need to stop judging others on their decisions. We don't know why they decide to board a full bus knowing they will be standing, it could be many things. I don't think that parents are willing to risk injury, most probably feel comfortable standing and holding a baby.
Your husband's decision is his own as well as parents with kids.
True. It is my husband's decision. I love that he WANTS to give up his seat for someone with a baby. It's not just because he feels others will judge him for it (and others will since that's what people do). I just know in his heart he wishes he didn't feel he has to give up his seat because I know how badly he wants to stay seated.

Who do you ask?

Also, it seems as this is more the norm than the exception...

We have been going to MK since it the year after it opened and I can count on one hand the number of times we've had to wait really long for a bus, maybe 30 min. a few times. Don't really think we've waited 40 though. We love the transportation there and consider it part of our overall enjoyment to leave our vehicle parked! Have never driven to a park.

Possibly, because you live so close, and obviously can go very often, maybe you are a little jaded. Don't think I would like to live close at all, like to keep it all 'fresh' and exciting when I go - once every couple years, to 3 times a year.

I just booked a car LOL....I was looking forward to using park transportation, but we are impatient people. Since we're staying at Poly, we'll likely take the monorail to MK and walk to TTC and monorail to Epcot. But then drive everywhere else. We drove during both of our previous trips and it was easy.

For the record, Costco rates blew everyone else's out of the water LOL.

I'm willing to bet that if there were plenty of buses with sufficient room for everyone to get on as soon as they would like, with every resort rolling multiple buses to each of the parks....then people would complain about how long it takes at the drop off point for everyone to get off the buses and the bottleneck at the entrance. With all of the increased traffic (both from buses and pedestrians), there would probably be a longer wait to enter the park, and let's not mention the additional staff to drive and monitor the buses along with the extra fuel costs, which would most likely lead to an increase in resort room costs...not that anyone would complain about either of those things. LOL.

Before people chime in and say I should have left earlier... I think being at our bus stop 45 minutes before the reservation should suffice. Isn't that the benefit to staying on property?
Well we rented a car. This was our first trip onsite and we didn't actually use the bus transportion at all even though we had every intention of doing so. We just found that using our rental car was better. But we also tend to like to rely on ourselves more.

I have a tad more aversion to just relying on buses moreso on our last trip in 2011 where we stayed off site as a place with free shuttles to WDW and USO. Less stress for us to just drive,park, use the trams, and get in. Convenience for the buses (and free shuttles if off-site) would be dropped off at the entrance but trade off would be stress for getting on the bus in a reasonable time. If we stay onsite again we may try out the buses though. I haven't said we wouldn't ever use them because like I mentioned we had every intention of using them in September

I think from here on out we are just going to stay off property. As an AP holder, the only benefits in my mind to staying on property are... 1)Extra Magic Hours and 2) Transportation.
It's a benefit but not the benefit. Just being closer to the parks than off-site is likely a larger benefit.

I know they quote you 90 mins, but that doesn't mean its how it should be. Not sure why if they say busses run every 20 mins why you should need to allow 90 mins to get from resort to reservation? Just seems to contradict each other.
Just like many things wiggle room is good. Would it be worse for Disney to not provide any estimate period? I'm envisioning that a lot of guests would be missing their ADRs if they didn't at least have some sort of expectation set and one that allows for a bit of unknowns.

You also have to consider they are including thinking about where the resort is located at, even time of day, getting to the parks, then you getting through security, then you getting to wherever your ADR is.

They also say buses run every 20 mins...
Disney says the buses "operate at approximately 20-minute intervals." Now obviously 45 mins is way out of norm but you wouldn't be complaining if the bus showed up in 15 mins which is still off from what they advise. Most people probably wouldn't complain if a bus showed up in 25 mins if they were using 20 mins as a guideline.

I do feel for ya for the 45mins that must have been brutal. I'm wondering if it wasn't construction combined with crowds. Like if only 1 time was 45mins you could probably say bad luck something must have happened but 3 times seems like a larger more combined situation. I know they just opened up the fly over bridge very very recently so it allows traffic flow for MK to run more smoothly so perhaps that will help out for any future issues.

True. It is my husband's decision. I love that he WANTS to give up his seat for someone with a baby. It's not just because he feels others will judge him for it (and others will since that's what people do). I just know in his heart he wishes he didn't feel he has to give up his seat because I know how badly he wants to stay seated.

It's interesting that you don't feel the same way as your husband, given that you're comfortable remaining seated while he gives up his seat.

If this is a character trait you love in him, wouldn't you want to try to live up to that ideal yourself?

My husband frequently brings out the best in me, by the example he sets. And, I hope, I do the same for him.

I can understand the frustration, 40 minutes is a long time when "time is money." There's a lot of waiting in lines at WDW, it does get old. We've given up on Disney transport and rent a car as it's one less line to wait in. OTOH we do have to wait in line to rent the car.:scratchin
Oh Avis Preferred is lovely for that. No line just your spot assigned and provided to you on a board (and usually e-mailed to you too). Go straight to the spot.

But I hear you, I do get stressed a bit when we use other rental car companies.

Maybe we just got lucky but we used this multiple times a couple weeks ago and would use 10 times out of 10 over a bus. Very little wait and I don't mind the stops at the other resorts because at least we are making some progress to the destination.

We waited a long time and then people rushed to the dock even though we were the first ones waiting. They pushed their way in front of us, so we got stuck waiting another 15 minutes.

We've had great luck with bus transportation over the years. The shortest waits have been at the Values with the slightly longer waits at the Moderates. We usually try to avoid the bus when staying at the Deluxes. There have been a few long waits in the past.

It's interesting that you don't feel the same way as your husband, given that you're comfortable remaining seated while he gives up his seat.

If this is a character trait you love in him, wouldn't you want to try to live up to that ideal yourself?

My husband frequently brings out the best in me, by the example he sets. And, I hope, I do the same for him.
Well, like I said I’m not comfortable standing on a bus because I don’t always have a solid place to hold on to without being tossed around. Especially since I only have one good wrist because I broke the other one and it never healed well.

And yes that’s why I love it about him because, correct, I don’t want to risk my getting hurt because someone else didn’t want to wait another ten minutes (or as everyone here keeps insisting 20 minutes) for another bus.

Incidentally, my husband isn’t going to let me stand either while he remains sitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter