Tip $ crazy...

I haven't read the entire thread but I would like to put in my two cents worth on tipping hair stylists...

I wonder if the people who do not tip go to the same person all of the time or just float around to different stylists?

I love my stylist... she always works me in (I have an awful schedule and it's hard to make/keep appointments), she gives me the best cuts/color ever and always gives me all kinds of samples of new products.
I have gone back in twice when having problems styling a new cut or once when my color was a little darker than I wanted and she took lots of time helping me with styling and fixed the color free of charge.

I think that type of service deserves a tip!

My wife and I really believe in tipping regardless of the service. I know some people who don't tip at buffetts. I think they work as hard or maybe even harder at buffetts and should receive tip money. We tip anyone who performs a service for us, redcap, bus driver, maid, waitress etc. My 18% worth.

In Oregon, waitstaff get paid min wage and tipping expectations are the same as anywhere else.
I always tip according to service. It's just part of going out.:thumbsup2

they know if server's were paid minimum wage, and tipping wasn't expected, YES, the good servers WOULD quit the business.
menu prices WOULD rise, and service WOULD be poor.
Please explain WHY. I'm not saying "do away with tips". I'm saying "do away with EXPECTED tips."

Please explain WHY. I'm not saying "do away with tips". I'm saying "do away with EXPECTED tips."

I can explain why. It's actually pretty simple: No one wants to serve someone else for minimum wage. The only reason anyone does that job is because they can essentially set their own pay based on how much effort they're willing to put forth. If servers didn't get tips, most of them would go do easier jobs that pay better. That would leave only the people who are incapable of getting a better job.

If everyone at your job made minimum wage with no possibility of a significant raise, do you really think everyone would go in there every day and give 100%?

I'm going to answer your post in two parts.
I can explain why. It's actually pretty simple: No one wants to serve someone else for minimum wage. The only reason anyone does that job is because they can essentially set their own pay based on how much effort they're willing to put forth. If servers didn't get tips, most of them would go do easier jobs that pay better. That would leave only the people who are incapable of getting a better job.
I NEVER said servers wouldn't get tips. I said they shouldn't get tips for doing the basic job. If they're willing to put forth more effort, they deserve extra money. In my mind the problem right now is the servers who "phone it in" think they deserve 15-20%+
If everyone at your job made minimum wage with no possibility of a significant raise, do you really think everyone would go in there every day and give 100%?
You know what, when I made minimum wage, I busted my butt because I wanted to do a good job. I still bust my butt. Not because I want a raise (which I do, don't get me wrong), but because of my work ethic. I'm sorry. I just don't get the people who say "if I didn't get tips (bonuses), I'd do a worse job". Talk about a sense of entitlement!

Oh, and I'm guessing there's PLENTY of people who are willing to serve others for minimum wage... have you been to a fast food place recently? What about a gas station?

a fast food place is NOT a sit down restaurant. you obviously get better service at a sit down restaurant.

I, too, have a tremendous work ethic, always had. I do my best, whatever the job. If the night is slow, I am still working, doing sidework, cleaning, etc.

I ahve customers who ask to sit at my table. I am attentive, go the extra mile, and know my customers, what they want, what is going on in their lives, etc.

drop the expected tips (NOT an "entitlement" just an expectation almost everyonehas, the servers, the bartenders, the owners, the customers,) and I will not work in the industry. and yes, my customers will suffer. whoever does take the job for minimum wage will NOT be as good a server. not arrogant, just know what my skills are.

I will not discuss bad service. that is different. but doing the "basic" job should warrant a 15% tip. that's what somone "expects" their salary will be when they take the job. do better, you get more tips. I have quite a few regular customers who actually tip me about 25%!
I don't "expect" that, but if anyone tips less than 15% I am disappointed. (unless I screwed up. then I "expect" less, of course.) become good at your job, you can earn more. stay a "so-so server" and you probably will not make much money.

this is just how the pay scale works in the industry. you can rally to change it, tip less yourself, but the industry is not changing anytime soon.

From what I understand, sometimes it is the gesture or the practice of tipping that counts more than the amount.

Most tipping position are given super low hourly wages because the employers tell them they are tipped.

Even if you leave 2 dollar bills or 3, there is an underlying intention that you appreciate their service and help. If you don't leave anything, it almost feels like, a lack of "Thank you" expressed.

And if that housekeeping staff sets up 10 rooms that each gave her $2 each, then she can smile on her way home with $20 and feeling acknowledged as well.

Hi folks!

I am older then dirt.....57 and I have known about tipping the maid in a hotel/motel for years.......tipping people making near or BELOW min. wages for service is a long time thing.

However on the other hand, if I don't get normal service I have no problem not tipping and telling the people involved why!

Maybe it's time the corporations start paying a better, livable wage.

Just a old guys opinion!

AKK

I have to agree with you on this. I am 30 and my husband and I frequently dine in restaurants, and occasionally we do come across and waiter/waitress who is rude and not very accommodating...my point being, people who work in this line of work should realize that tipping should not be expected per se but should be earned. As mentioned in the above quote, I also believe that corporations are relying on the general public to pay their employees. With the way the economy is going and the prices of everything rising how can you expect a family to pay for their meals and still be expected to dish out a 20% tip.....Now I don't want to get flamed on this.... I am always very generous with my tipping, and I will even leave something for the rudest waitress....

I dont think its an age thing - as much as a where you are from (figuratively and literally speaking).
I'm from a small town - tipping was only for the restaurants. Everyone made minimum wage or maybe a little more.
I'm also from a poor family - we never stayed at a hotel nicer than the Days Inn or similar. No tipping there - could barely afford the stay....
So it wasn't until I came on these boards that I starting learning about all the people I encounter in my life that I'm supposed to be tipping.
My first trip to WDW was with my DH (boyfriend at the time) and was before my learning experience on these boards.
We didn't leave mousekeeping... and we got just fine service.
The last 3 times we've went - I have left mousekeeping envelopes with very comparable tips and we have had similar (but not Better) service.
In 4 trips to WDW I've not once had a towel animal or anything special or out of the way from Mousekeeping.
Just my 2 cents...
:hippie:
We have always tipped $5.00 in the morning and if we have turndown service we tip $3.00 for that service at Disney. I can tell you, we have never had a towel animal or anything special either, not even on birthdays. lol.....im not fussing, I know they are busy.

I agree, there are many things that I wish did not require tipping; however it has become something which is expected.
The thing is, many of the jobs which you are supposed to tip, do not have a minimum wage payment system. They are making less money then one in another job would make. Many waiters/waitresses only get $4-$5 dollars an hour and the rest of their pay is supposed to be made up from tips. If none of their customers tipped they would be hardly making anything a week. I'm not sure how much mousekeeping makes, but I'm sure it's under $7.25. However I could be wrong and am just going out on a limb for this one.

I being from Alaska have never heard of waiters getting paid below minimum wage, out here they get 7-10 an hour, plus tips! Being a waiter tends to be a good thing here.

Maybe... but probably not a towel animal!! :rotfl:
I'm just kidding! I leave a few bucks and a nice little thank you note every day on the dresser and I think that they appreciate it! They are in my room with ALL of my posessions...so I do try to keep them happy ;)

Honestly, I only tip mousekeeping if they do something special such as leaving towel animals, bringing extra supplies to my room etc....I just do not think that tipping for basic service is something I should do...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter