to use a TA or not to use a TA?

I hope this is the correct forum to post this question in :earsboy: With the June 19 date quickly approaching I am really struggling to decide whether to use a travel agent to book our 2019 trip or to do it myself. This is our second trip and I booked the whole thing last time (4 years ago) and I really enjoyed it, but it was a last minute trip and I was able to use a discount offer to book the Grand Floridian at a bit of a reduced rate. This time around we will be planning many more months in advance. I am afraid if I book everything myself I won't be able to take advantage of any discounts that might come along as the travel dates draw closer. I also wonder if there is an advantage to using a travel agent to help book meals and other experiences. Even if I use a TA I'd still like to be able to book some dining and our Fast Passes myself. Any thoughts on using or not using a TA?
Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thank you!!

I think a TA can be great if you're not on the ball or new to disney, as they may have some great suggestions for dining, time saving, logistics, etc. but if you are diligent with checking for promos and specials, there is no reason a TA would be able to do any better than you would when it comes to saving $$$. Especially since you are not the only client a TA has so while they may be aware of promos, they might not get to everyone on their lists.

I love planning and for me, I can't see letting go of that control to someone else, just not in my nature.

We have used 3 different ones in the past. We were very happy with Dreams Unlimited and another one. AAA was useless. The others would book the restaurants and even FPs for us when we gave them the list. They had suggestions if something wasn't available. Even had it held for us until we decided. AAA did none of that. We eventually got rid of our AAA membership after they cut so many services.

I think a TA can be great if you're not on the ball or new to disney, as they may have some great suggestions for dining, time saving, logistics, etc. but if you are diligent with checking for promos and specials, there is no reason a TA would be able to do any better than you would when it comes to saving $$$. Especially since you are not the only client a TA has so while they may be aware of promos, they might not get to everyone on their lists.

I love planning and for me, I can't see letting go of that control to someone else, just not in my nature.

The specific TA that everyone is talking about here has access to rates not available to the public. I also love planning WDW and do it myself. My TA just gives me the confirmation number and I take it from there.

Echoing all these sentiments about using a TA with agency exclusive rates. It’s the only way I would ever book, tbh (rack rate is highway robbery). I went with our TA solely for that deep discount, and am handling everything myself. So far I’ve just had her book a cabana at the Poly because I had to run out for work and couldn’t stay on hold on our 180 day. She was very prompt though, and is always attentive the few times I do have questions. If I were a higher maintenance sort of client, I’d be in good hands.

But like, ADRs I did myself and will do the same for FPs. I’m a crazy good planner by nature and half the fun of traveling anywhere for me is all the research (I’m a colored tabs and spreadsheets kind of girl), I even looked into doing it as a side gig myself a while back. So if it wasn’t for the exclusive rate, I wouldn’t bother with a TA. But I do think it’s a great idea for people who get overwhelmed easily or get choice paralysis, or first timers, even if you use one of the agencies like Dreams who just offer the same Disney discounts. WDW vacations have gotten so complex. Having an expert on hand can be really helpful, even with all the resources we have online nowadays.

So there are some travel agencies that offer better deals than others?

I've used DU in the past for our cruise and reached out to them today to book a package for next year

Any one use small world?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter