Torn between DVC direct and resale

I think buying resale makes far more sense for most people and certainly for a 1st contract. If anything buy resale to get access to better incentives down the line if you want to one day buy direct. Our family did purchase the minimum to get direct during the VGF firesale. It was worth it to us because the price was cheaper than what resale was at VGF prior to them opening the new building and with the exception of years we visit during Christmas/New Years we can drop down to the Sorcerers pass which is a huge savings. Obviously Disney can pull that at anytime but even if it is just a few years it will eat up a lot of the difference. We also look at the lack of restrictions on that contract as a bonus. Not sure if we will or will not use it at those resorts but it is nice to have as an option. The other "perks" are basically worthless.
I disagree that the other perks are “worthless”. Not as big of a deal for the WDW folks, but we got some small perks at Aulani and DLand that make it feel just a bit more magical to be DVC-Y.

I’m looking at you sparkly magic band getting lowered into the free popcorn refill bucket on my way out the door to the mimosa and macaroons (or poke and saki) class while sharing pictures with other members we took from the balcony of Star View Station.

Hello all,

After your helpful advice a few months ago, I took the leap and purchased a 100 point resale contract at Beach Club Villas - our favourite DVC property. We want to purchase another contract (of between 100-150 points) and I am torn between getting another resale contract or purchasing directly with Disney. We are looking at SSR resale, or OKWe or Aulani direct.

We don’t have a direct contract with Disney yet and I would very much like to secure the DVC perks and discounts that go along with one, but I am struggling to decide. The cost per point (for Aulani or Old Key West) is approximately double what we would pay buying at Saratoga Springs resale. Unfortunately as I live in Europe, I’m not able to access the discounts another way (e.g. with a Disney Visa) and it isn’t cost effective to get them with the top tier annual pass either. UK tickets are admittedly better value than their US counterparts, so we would only be saving about $400 every other year if we had access to the Sorcerer AP instead of having to buy the UK 14 day tickets. I imagine we would save $300-400 every other year with the dining/merch discounts, amounting to about $800 of savings every two years. We would love access to Moonlight Magic and the lounges but that doesn’t really sway our decision either way.

Old Key West does expire 3 years after a resale Saratoga contract would, and I am told that if I purchase before the end of the month, I would get 2023 use year points too, so that is four years’ extra use on top of a Saratoga resale contract. It is an extra $15,000 for the same amount of points though, and the resale value per point is about half the direct cost.

If we were to purchase an Aulani contract direct, we would get an extra 9 years’ use out of it on top of Saratoga resale, but again, it is an extra $15,000 and the resale value for Aulani seems to be little more than Saratoga. It’s a lot of money upfront and I don’t know that I will still be vacationing in WDW in 40 years time (though in all likelihood I probably will). I also have concerns because we wouldn’t want to use the points at Aulani and it seems a bit pointless to purchase there instead of WDW.

I find Riviera and Disneyland Hotel the least appealing given the resale restrictions. I feel like if I’d have purchased when the Poly or VGF were being actively sold by Disney, I could have justified the direct cost more easily because their resale values are still pretty high and I could at least get most of my money back if I decided to sell down the road. If those options were still available, I’d feel much better about paying the extra money to purchase direct.

I suppose my head is telling me that resale is the way to go, but my heart is saying that I’d like to secure a direct contract for the perks. I wish I was in the position to purchase a few years ago when the direct offerings were better and the minimum purchase requirement was lower. Has anyone else been in a similar position? Would really appreciate your advice. Is it worth waiting to see if the Poly or VGF are actively sold again? (I am guessing unlikely for VGF but more likely for the Poly.)

Thanks in advance :)
Congrats on Beach Club. My fiancé's favorite. We just took the plunge too and went resale for GF and ultimately also picked up BLT both with same use years. While we like the Disney perks, some of them will require us to plan trips just to try to attend them like 'Moonlight Madness'. We will miss not being able to go to Villain's Lair atop of BLT however our work around is drinks or dinner up at California Grill which is our favorite and then go back and watch the fireworks from there for extra thrills. We also have a Disney Visa so we will use the discounts we get with it when it allows. We simply could not justify paying the same about for 150 points direct through Disney when we could get 2 contracts for the same amount of money and for more points, 250.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter