Transportation Options from Disney to Universal/IOA

Hello - joining in. What if you have a child with you? Whether you do a Mears shuttle or taxi, I'd have to ask for a toddler car seat correct?

Now that you've decided to check out Universal Studios/IOA, how do you get there if you are staying on-site at Disney? Don't worry, you have a few options:

1. Rent a car

If you are staying at a Disney resort, the easiest option is to rent a car from the Walt Disney World Car Care Center, which is operated by Alamo and National. The Car Care Center offers a shuttle that will pick you up from any Disney hotel and take you to the Center to pick up your car. The shuttle will also drop you off at your Disney hotel after you return your car. If you wish, call the Car Care Center up to 24 hours in advance and arrange for them to send a shuttle for you. Alternatively, go to the front desk of your Disney resort about 30 minutes before your pickup time and ask them to call the Car Care Center shuttle. The phone number of the Car Care Center is (407) 824-3470.

Another location is at the Dolphin Hotel. From any of the theme parks or Downtown Disney, take a Disney bus to the Dolphin. The Alamo/National office at the Dolphin keeps short hours, but you can drop off your car to the hotel's valets after hours. The phone number of Dolphin's Alamo/National desk is (407) 934-4930.

Yet another location is Buena Vista Palace near Downtown Disney. Take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Downtown Disney. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to Buena Vista Palace. The phone number of Buena Vista Palace's Alamo/National desk is (407) 827-6363.

Avis, Dollar and Budget also have locations near Downtown Disney.

Remember...if you are renting a car you will also have to pay for parking at Universal - currently the charge per car is $20.00.

2. Book a ride with Mears shuttle

Mears runs shuttles from the Disney hotels to Universal and back. You will need to make arrangements 24 hours prior though. Prices are $34 each person RT. You can check out the website for more information:
www.mearstransportation.com

Does the cost per person include children no matter what their age?
When you book a shuttle, children under 3 are free and children 4-11 pay a child's rate of $27 . Anyone over 12 pays the adult rate of $34/pp. rt

Can I book my attraction transportation online?
No, you will need to call them 24 hours in advance at (407) 423-5566, that is unless you are already using them for transportation to and from the airport then you can book the attraction portion online at the same time.

3. Taxi Cab

Taxis/cabs are usually available outside most resort entrances, or you can have the front desk or valet parking staff at your hotel call a taxi for you. To get a general idea of what it will cost for a taxi, you can use the Taxi Fare Estimator offered by Mears Transportation.
Taxis can run $35 -40.

Where can I catch a cab/taxi at Universal to return to my hotel?
There are taxis waiting at Universal - Universal does have a taxi lane, so you can easily catch a taxi right outside of Universal Studios to get back to your resort.

If there are more than 4 people then the cab option is a no go right?
Mears taxis have a capacity of 5 people, if more than 5 people in your group, they have vans available for up to 7 people.

4. Public Transportation - Lynx Bus

It's strongly suggested that you not take public transit. Yes it's cheap but it takes about two hours to get from Disney to Universal using Lynx. So...if you care how much time you spend in the parks, I would suggest Mears or a cab.

Happy Travels!! :thumbsup2

Do you know if you need a car seat (for a 4 yr old) for the shuttles? or are the shuttles like the Disney buses that shuttle you to park w/in resorts?

Just did an Uber trip from Coronado Springs to Cabana Bay. It costs $26.00 to get there and $16. back. The driver charged me a service charge on the way over. What is surge pricing? Overall, I was very happy with Uber. Even though, I think the first guy over charged me. It was fast and easy. Just download the app on your phone. The hotels automatically come up. You don't need the address. Much cheaper than a taxi. I started at disney and spent 2 days at Cabana Bay. Cabana Bay was great even though it is considered the "value resort". Entertainment at the pool and lobby.

Here's what I need:

I plan on spending 3 nights at Hard Rock Hotel. I will be coming from Orlando airport. I'd like the freedom to stop at a supermarket or Walmart on the way to pick up cans of soda and supplies so I don't have to pack or ship stuff to the hotel in advance, but it's not a deal killer if I can't. After 3 nights at Universal, I need to get to the Contemporary at Disney. Again, it would be nice to make a pitstop at a Walmart to get supplies especially since shipping stuff to the Contemporary can be expensive because it's a convention center.

I'm assuming my most likely options are rent a car, Uber/Lyft, or hire a shuttle. I did the shuttle a few years ago and it worked out pretty well. They even waited while we did a run to a local Walmart. (Yes, I discussed it with them prior to the trip. I didn't spring it on them as a surprise.) I don't need or want to park a car while I'm at any of the hotels, so the car rental would literally be to get me from the airport to the Hard Rock and/or from the Hard Rock to the Contemporary. I don't want to pay for parking. I'm assuming this would be more trouble than it's worth, but I thought I'd ask if it's easy to have the rental company pick up the car from the hotel.

I do a 3 leg trip each time I am in Orlando with private car service
The one I use does free store stops
It works for me

When I used to rent a car eons ago had to deal with parking and those fees and gas fill ups Etc

This down time took away park time with me
Did not want to deal with that

You can rent a car from mco and drop it off at the hotel if you use the hotel car company they have onsite
For other rental companies most will drop you off back off at your hotel

This might be an option for you to consider
Rent a car again when you do Disney and another grocery stop

Take ME back to the airport for free

I'm trying to parse your response...

I do a 3 leg trip each time I am in Orlando with private car service
The one I use does free store stops
It works for me

Which one do you normally use?

When I used to rent a car eons ago had to deal with parking and those fees and gas fill ups Etc

This down time took away park time with me
Did not want to deal with that

Budget and Avis have a hotel where I can drop the car off that's within a mile or two from the Hard Rock Hotel. They will drive me back to the Hard Rock after dropping off the car.

You can rent a car from mco and drop it off at the hotel if you use the hotel car company they have onsite
For other rental companies most will drop you off back off at your hotel

Yes as long as it's within 5 miles.

This might be an option for you to consider
Rent a car again when you do Disney and another grocery stop

Take ME back to the airport for free

What?

I use Tony Hinds for car service

If you are staying onsite at Disney you can use ME free to return to the airport MCO

ME is magical express

If you prefer a different grocery stop, Tony will honor that

I use that Publix for my stop and find everything I need there
Not a bad store as they carry lots of things that travelers need besides the groceries and basics

Hello - joining in. What if you have a child with you? Whether you do a Mears shuttle or taxi, I'd have to ask for a toddler car seat correct?

I have the same question. We want to go to UNIVERSAL for a day (HP!!!) from All-Star Music. Mears website says it's 38$/adult and 28$/children... But I heard some people say 20$/21$ if you ask at your resort? Can someone confirm that?

We are 2 adults, 2 kids - 6 years old and 16 months...

I'd much prefer the UBER option (never used it yet so both husband and I would have first time promo) but anyone has any experience with uber and car seat for toddler?

Thank you everyone who shares their experiences :)

His price is $100 to get from MCO to the Hard Rock and $100 to get from the Hard Rock to The Contemporary. I think I'd be better off renting a car from Budget or Avis to get from the airport to the Hard Rock (approx $50 plus taxes) and use UberX to get from the Hard Rock to the Contemporary (approximately $30).

We have recommended Tony loads of times to our friends who do not care to drive.

Latest was 3 days ago.

They were ALL quoted $100 round trip. Plus tip of course.

I've met Tony through friends who got dropped off at RPR last year........what a lovely man he is.

We have recommended Tony loads of times to our friends who do not care to drive.

Latest was 3 days ago.

They were ALL quoted $100 round trip. Plus tip of course.

I've met Tony through friends who got dropped off at RPR last year........what a lovely man he is.

What do you mean $100 round trip? I assumed it was one-way?

I mean $100 round trip......plus tip.

Friends got picked up at MCO.....to one of the Universal or Disney hotels........then picked up again return journey.......all for $100.........tip seperate of course. Many people that post on here have had the same price.

like i have said before, Tony is a gem!

TellTheHubbyLater, you will enjoy riding with him.
he pays extra to park inside the airport and none of that is passed onto you.

he meets you at the bottom of the escalor with an ipad and your last name on it.
that way you will know who he is.

once he gets the cart and your luggage, you go thru the back double doors where the car is parked.
it hasn't been sitting out in the sun so it will be cool in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter