Travel Changes?

Our club just sent out an e-mail; it looks like they are handling the issue of some people not self-quarantining by initiating a new policy (below). I am not sure what will happen if the girl that just came back from Italy shows up at the gym or tennis courts, but I'm guessing the ire of other members should be enough to keep her away.

At its meeting on March 10, 2020, the Board of Directors approved the following policy, effective immediately.

If an individual in the household has traveled to a location listed on the CDC’s Level 3 Travel Health Notice list, the entire household is required to follow CDC recommendations for self-quarantine.

The countries currently listed on the CDC’s Level 3 Travel Health Notice list are China, Iran, South Korea and Italy.

I understand everyone's concerns and trips happening soon, in less than 30 days I think ABD should cancel and they have cancelled April and May land tours to Italy. I may be in the minority but cancelling June almost three months in advance is a bit much. I may be an optimist but things may be totally different (on the upside) in 30 days and they are waiting it out.

I understand everyone's concerns and trips happening soon, in less than 30 days I think ABD should cancel and they have cancelled April and May land tours to Italy. I may be in the minority but cancelling June almost three months in advance is a bit much. I may be an optimist but things may be totally different (on the upside) in 30 days and they are waiting it out.
I have no problem waiting it out if they had the same policy in place like DCL where you can cancel 24 hours in advance and get 100% travel credit.

Especially when I just saw there is yet another quarantined river cruise ship in Cambodia. This time it is Viking.

I actually agree. The real issue I had was ABD's inflexibility on paid-in-full dates and rebooking. The smart thing to do would have been to shift paid-in-full dates to 30 days before trip date and permit rebooking of trips for those already paid in full who requested a change.

I actually agree. The real issue I had was ABD's inflexibility on paid-in-full dates and rebooking. The smart thing to do would have been to shift paid-in-full dates to 30 days before trip date and permit rebooking of trips for those already paid in full who requested a change.
I agree completely. However it seems based on people’s posts that they are making accommodations...you just need to get the right person on the phone....which is even more frustrating that they are being so inconsistent. It makes the situation completely unfair.

so daily update..
what's happening in italy is heartbreaking.
This is what happens when the the spread is too fast.
196 people died there today from corona.
The most yet in a single day, bringing the total deaths to 827.

As for confirmed cases as of today:
Italy: Confirmed cases = 12,462 (of which 2,313 new cases today)
France: Confirmed cases = 2,281 (of which 497 new cases today)
Spain: Confirmed cases = 2,262 (of which 567 new cases today)
Germany Confirmed cases = 1,908 (of which 343 new cases today)
and so on..

editing to add the UK
UK: Confirmed cases = 456 (of which 73 new cases today)

I am confused. Multiple people have posted about "finally getting" ABD to move their deposits off of their current trip before PIF date, and having it to use for a year. That's ABD's normal policy. Before PIF date, the deposit can be "parked" and has to be moved to another trip within a year. What am I missing here? Do people actually mean their entire PIF payment to ABD? Sorry, but as I said, I'm confused now.

Sayhello

Like others, I agree with you. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of flexibility regarding vacation time, so waiting until the last minute to see if a trip is canceled will likely leave me with very limited options. I’m trying to get ahead of things as best I can.

I'm so confused. I have two deposits with ABD currently. Both are past the 14-day refundable date. PIF for one is later this month, the other is in April. I was under the impression that I might be able to "park" these deposits or move them to another trip, but I just read my terms and conditions and it basically said any vacation destination or date change is considered a cancellation and subject to fees. I am also seeing others on this thread are having a lot of difficulty getting ABD to park their payments or change their dates. Is my only recourse on my PIF date to pay in full and hope we can go or cancel and lose the deposit?

I am confused. Multiple people have posted about "finally getting" ABD to move their deposits off of their current trip before PIF date, and having it to use for a year. That's ABD's normal policy. Before PIF date, the deposit can be "parked" and has to be moved to another trip within a year. What am I missing here? Do people actually mean their entire PIF payment to ABD? Sorry, but as I said, I'm confused now.

Sayhello
I *think* that's what people are talking about - they've paid in full but now would like the flexibility to move that $$ to another trip.

We have 2 trips to Backroads scheduled for this year, one for next month and one for July. We just got another e-mail from them that lists out all the options you have (cancel, move to another trip, hold funds indefinitely until you pick a trip, etc.). It seems very reasonable and very flexible. I'm curious as to ABD's business case for their inflexibility compared to other companies, when it seems ABD, with the backing of Disney, has less financial vulnerability? I wish I could be a fly on the wall.

I *think* that's what people are talking about - they've paid in full but now would like the flexibility to move that $$ to another trip.
I hope so. Otherwise, it makes no sense.
We have 2 trips to Backroads scheduled for this year, one for next month and one for July. We just got another e-mail from them that lists out all the options you have (cancel, move to another trip, hold funds indefinitely until you pick a trip, etc.). It seems very reasonable and very flexible. I'm curious as to ABD's business case for their inflexibility compared to other companies, when it seems ABD, with the backing of Disney, has less financial vulnerability? I wish I could be a fly on the wall.
I totally agree with all of this this. :( My trip is not until mid-May, and already PIF, but it would be nice to know I have the flexibility to move my money to another trip if necessary. I'm trying not to think about it yet. I'm currently assuming everything will be fine by then. At this point, it's not hurting me to assume that.

Sayhello

While I hate to say this, I think that we all just need to come to terms with the fact that we will likely not be going anywhere for a long time (which I hate to say for so many reasons but a lot because I so need a vacation and our spring break is 2.5 weeks away).

I'm hoping you are correct. We have until June to pay in full our October land Italy ABD, but I haven't purchased flights yet. Still going to hold out a little while longer....

Yes well obviously in my case i had paid in full because I was supposed to leave tomorrow morning for England/France with a prenight.

ABD moved everything except insurance amount to a dummy date. I just have to apply it within 12 months. That’s because i kicked and screamed.

yes normally their policy is that you can move a deposit (before PIF) once

Yes well obviously in my case i had paid in full because I was supposed to leave tomorrow morning for England/France with a prenight.

ABD moved everything except insurance amount to a dummy date. I just have to apply it within 12 months. That’s because i kicked and screamed.

yes normally their policy is that you can move a deposit (before PIF) once
I am happy that you were able to get a dummy date. My travel agent called the regional head of ABD today to complain as she has called every day this week to get answers. The heads response was “there is still time to make changes as we see fit. We will continue to watch this but as of now, all tours are scheduled as is”. We leave in 2 weeks!!! There was no option to move to another date. After all of this is said and done, I want to review my options with an attorney. The amount of stress this has caused me and my family is crazy. The thought of being out that much money is sickening, the risk that ABD is willing to take to pad their own pockets is disgusting. I am disappointed in this company.

This is unprecedented, and I don’t understand what happens to Americans abroad that cannot get home in the next 26 hours. I did not hear about exceptions for Americans
I agree. What is going to happen to those on the ABD London / France? Now ABD is going to have a big problem on their hands. Too bad they were the only ones that didn't foresee a problem if they proceeded with this trip. What a horrific decision they made to proceed with this trip. I suppose they could get everyone back to London, but that would involve everyone having to try to change their flights and I would also imagine anyone potentially stuck in other parts of Europe will be flocking to London to get back to the states.

I agree. What is going to happen to those on the ABD London / France? Now ABD is going to have a big problem on their hands. Too bad they were the only ones that didn't foresee a problem if they proceeded with this trip. What a horrific decision they made to proceed with this trip. I suppose they could get everyone back to London, but that would involve everyone having to try to change their flights and I would also imagine anyone potentially stuck in other parts of Europe will be flocking to London to get back to the states.

indeed....to say they are idiots is the understatement of the century.
i believe the tour begins in the UK, so they can turn everyone around from the UK..
or they could continue their boneheadedness and carry out the tour in the UK only (without going to france) since the travel ban excludes the UK (for now)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter