Travel Changes?

Everyone in the travel industry is freaking out so much right now that they are really trying to get all of us to keep credits instead of giving refunds. For example, we cancelled four seasons hualalai on the Big Island last month when all this was starting and their first impulse was to say that I could keep the credit on the deposit (which is equal to 2 nights stay...quite expensive) and use within a year. I had to call back a few times to get them to agree to give a refund. Same applies for ABD. The lesson is to be annoying and keep calling back and you'll eventually get what you want. Sad to say that, but its true.

That trick probably won't work with the airlines though unless they changed your itinerary...

We had the same experience with a resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. We canceled about a week and a half before the Mexico/US border closed and they would not issue a refund. At the time, the reservationist at the resort couldn't understand why I was canceling . . . I now have a credit of our two nights' deposit to be used by 12/19/20 and the resort is now closed. My only recourse at this point would be if they stay closed through 12/19, I can file an insurance claim. Or, I can call and attempt to get the refund. I just think it will go nowhere with them.

I think when all of this is over (if it's ever over), I will never plan a trip more than one month in advance. In the past, that has left us slim pickings, but I don't know if I care about that anymore. Between ABD, the airlines, Riviera Maya and a cruise line, I have about $15k floating out there which we may never see any value from.

Initially, we transferred the deposit to holding status. That gave me until 7/1/21 (I guess that was 2 years out from my initial reservation) to transfer my deposit to a new tour. That would have given us the ability to book tours in the summer of 2021 or 2022. With school schedules, we can only take bigger trips in the summer. I figured I could live with that. Unfortunately, we would not get the discount for booking immediately after our last AbD trip which was $500 per person. We are DVC, so we always have access to day 1 pricing. I did ask if they refund the deposit if they ultimately cancel the tour. The answer was no - once in holding status, the deposit could not be refunded. If I completed full payment and they cancelled, I would get everything back. I just wasn't comfortable playing chicken with an extra $13000, even though I know this trip is going to be cancelled.

Interestingly, the guide I spoke with called me back about 5 minutes later and offered to switch our deposit to "Displacement status". With this status, I am now required to book a tour by 12/31/20. This essentially locks us in to a 2021 tour. The difference is, they will give us credit for the early/post tour booking discount ($1500 for my family of 3). I asked if this is a standard policy and she said it was on a case by case basis. I guess between calls, she asked and got approval from a manager. I was impressed she went the extra mile. She was very pleasant and helpful. I think in general I was nice to her on the phone, but I did let her know AbD is being destroyed on the message boards about their policies. Not sure if any of that made a difference.

So we did take the "Displacement Status". Figured by the end of the year I'll know if I'm comfortable traveling overseas or if we will take a US tour.

So, either a credit without the early booking discount for a trip in 2021 or 2022 or a credit with the early booking discount for a trip in 2021. That sounds pretty fair especially the credit through 2022. Hope ABD makes this their official policy during the COVID crisis. If so, that would in fact be more generous than Tauck's which only gives a credit through 2021. I know in an ideal world deposits would be refunded for trips voluntarily cancelled, but I don't think that should be expected. Our private trip to Peru/Bolivia wouldn't give me a refund on our deposit. 3 days after I cancelled our trip, Peru closed its borders. They're not even giving me a full credit. They allowed me to rebook for next yr with a penalty. Their explanation was they had nonrefundable costs on their end. So, I'd be happy with a full ABD credit to be used through 2022.

My paid in full with Boston is due in 10 days for August trip. For the first time I bought air thru ABD. Via Delta. Should I pay or walk away? Hate losing the air....
I'd find out what the options are. That airfare is already purchased and paid for, the ticket is in your name. I don't see why you cancelling the ABD would mean you lose the airfare. They should be able to cancel the flight for you just like any Travel Agent, and get you a credit like everyone else is getting. They aren't keeping the money if they cancel the flight. The airlines already have the money. And any credit would be in your name.

Sayhello

We had the same experience with a resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. We canceled about a week and a half before the Mexico/US border closed and they would not issue a refund. At the time, the reservationist at the resort couldn't understand why I was canceling . . . I now have a credit of our two nights' deposit to be used by 12/19/20 and the resort is now closed. My only recourse at this point would be if they stay closed through 12/19, I can file an insurance claim. Or, I can call and attempt to get the refund. I just think it will go nowhere with them.

I think when all of this is over (if it's ever over), I will never plan a trip more than one month in advance. In the past, that has left us slim pickings, but I don't know if I care about that anymore. Between ABD, the airlines, Riviera Maya and a cruise line, I have about $15k floating out there which we may never see any value from.

I'm with you on waiting till at least a few months before booking, not a year - But again to echo something said several pages back on this thread, ABD and Disney in general understands their fan culture so much that they know if they announce something new it will be snatched up within a few days, which makes it hard to wait.

Agree that the process is set up to guarantee that you take a future trip with AbD. So we will take another trip with them next summer. It’s just too much money to throw away. After that, we will see. I give do give them credit for calling back and finding a way to offer the early booking bonus. But had they just allowed us to cancel, we very likely would have taken multiple future trips with them. You do pay a premium to travel with AbD. When paying a premium price, you expect premium service........
This is exactly how I feel. When I sign up with ABD, I'm doing so because I expect a superior level of service. I do not expect to have to play chicken with them and wait until the last minute for a trip to be cancelled. IMO they are not acting like a luxury travel company with superior customer service, they are acting like United.

I also agree that a return of a deposit for a voluntary cancellation is not necessarily something that should be expected, although it is being done by other companies (i.e. my college travel company has given me the option to cancel and refund my trip deposit for any trip before the end of the year). However, under the extraordinary circumstances of a worldwide pandemic, I would expect a company of ABD's caliber to (1) cancel trips well in advance when it is obvious they aren't going to go, which they have not done. I don't expect to have to play chicken with a company that has the resources of ABD and (2) at a minimum they should be pushing back PIF until they can guarantee a trip is going to be going.

our international travel is mainly to one destination - WDW

And given that we're DVC, we have to book 11 months in advance, including air.
And given that our trips always include the whole gang (9 at last count), who all are tied to the school year, that means we can only travel in the summer. Even more reason that last minute just doesn't work for us.

Actually, 11 months isn't even that early.
Our trip last summer on the Disney Magic and to DLP was booked 18 months in advance.
And while DCL has a refundable deposit up to PIF, DLP has a large non-refundable deposit (or it did, perhaps disneyland paris will change the policy in light of current events).
Fortunately, that trip was last summer, when my biggest worry was making sure the toddlers got their second measles vaccine before heading to Europe.

In any case, last minute doesn't work for us.

i have a more optimistic view of the future then some.
I really do believe that once this is behind us, we'll revert to our old ways.
Perhaps some will be more fearful in their choices, but the human mind is a wonderful thing.
We have the ability to forget adversity. If not, no woman would ever have a second child.

This is exactly how I feel. When I sign up with ABD, I'm doing so because I expect a superior level of service. I do not expect to have to play chicken with them and wait until the last minute for a trip to be cancelled. IMO they are not acting like a luxury travel company with superior customer service, they are acting like United.

I also agree that a return of a deposit for a voluntary cancellation is not necessarily something that should be expected, although it is being done by other companies (i.e. my college travel company has given me the option to cancel and refund my trip deposit for any trip before the end of the year). However, under the extraordinary circumstances of a worldwide pandemic, I would expect a company of ABD's caliber to (1) cancel trips well in advance when it is obvious they aren't going to go, which they have not done. I don't expect to have to play chicken with a company that has the resources of ABD and (2) at a minimum they should be pushing back PIF until they can guarantee a trip is going to be going.

I agree they should be cancelling trips when it’s obvious they aren’t going, but I think it’s debatable when that date is. They’ve cancelled through May. I think, like Tauck, they should cancel European trips through June. No way are they traveling to Italy or Spain in June. My guess is they are waiting for the countries to announce travel bans for June and most of the European bans to my knowledge are extended only to May right now. But even in the highly unlikely event those bans were lifted, the optics wouldn’t look good to be touring in Europe in June. I think beyond June is reasonable to wait to cancel trips. I’d be the first to say July is very unlikely, but I think it’s understandable to wait another few wks to make that call officially. Beyond July is anyone’s guess. I have a non Disney (non European) trip in August. I give it a 50/50 chance right now.

As far as PIF, they did push that to 30 days. Same as Tauck, right?

I agree they should be cancelling trips when it’s obvious they aren’t going, but I think it’s debatable when that date is. They’ve cancelled through May. I think, like Tauck, they should cancel European trips through June. No way are they traveling to Italy or Spain in June. My guess is they are waiting for the countries to announce travel bans for June and most of the European bans to my knowledge are extended only to May right now. But even in the highly unlikely event those bans were lifted, the optics wouldn’t look good to be touring in Europe in June. I think beyond June is reasonable to wait to cancel trips. I’d be the first to say July is very unlikely, but I think it’s understandable to wait another few wks to make that call officially. Beyond July is anyone’s guess. I have a non Disney (non European) trip in August. I give it a 50/50 chance right now.

As far as PIF, they did push that to 30 days. Same as Tauck, right?
Not sure about Tauck, maybe someone who has a trip with them can chime in? I know Thompson refunded has refunded for Japan in July.

I think if ABD can't guarantee that a trip is going to go in a month they shouldn't be asking for PIF. IOW they should bear the uncertainty of closed borders not their customers. At a minimum they should be giving travelers a month lead time, and I think it's on them--not their customers--if they can't do that. The fact that they haven't cancelled trips in Europe in June is pretty ridiculous. It's not just international border closings at issue. NY is on lockdown until at least mid-May 15th. I can't believe ABD would think it would be appropriate to suggest International pleasure travel will resume shortly after the biggest city and fourth most populous state in the US may start easing SIP restrictions (and I can guarantee international plane travel won't be one of the first things eased!) In terms of worldwide shut downs most are open-ended: https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-travel-restrictions.html But I believe Macron was speculating recently that the Schengen area might be closed to foreign travel until September. Yikes! While I hope that is him just thinking out loud that does give some kind of idea on what European leaders are thinking regarding tourism.

I agree that it may be precipitous to cancel some trips outright in July. DD and I have to get to the UK at the end of June/beginning of July to clear out her apartment before her lease expires. I think we can get there because UK hasn't closed it's borders, but that doesn't mean i'll be looking forward to it. I'm assuming we could travel as "necessary" even if the level 4 is still in place. I'm also assuming our flights won't be canceled and/or we can find another one if they are. I am not looking forward to it, and I'm already trying to figure out how we can do it the most safely with masks/gloves/social distancing, etc. and this is not a pleasure trip.

Just thinking out loud here, but what I would do if I were ABD is this: I would announced that due to the worldwide pandemic and great uncertainty in tourism/travel in summer and fall, we are cancelling all domestic trips through May and all international through June. For trips beyond those time frames, we are pushing back all PIF until 30 days before a trip departure. If at that point border restrictions haven't been lifted, we will cancel and return all deposits. If it is determined trips can go on as planned as there are no travel restrictions, PIF will be due within 3 days. Something like that. It's not ideal, but it at least gives their customers a framework of what they can expect.

So, either a credit without the early booking discount for a trip in 2021 or 2022 or a credit with the early booking discount for a trip in 2021. That sounds pretty fair especially the credit through 2022. Hope ABD makes this their official policy during the COVID crisis. If so, that would in fact be more generous than Tauck's which only gives a credit through 2021. I know in an ideal world deposits would be refunded for trips voluntarily cancelled, but I don't think that should be expected. Our private trip to Peru/Bolivia wouldn't give me a refund on our deposit. 3 days after I cancelled our trip, Peru closed its borders. They're not even giving me a full credit. They allowed me to rebook for next yr with a penalty. Their explanation was they had nonrefundable costs on their end. So, I'd be happy with a full ABD credit to be used through 2022.

Thanks that makes sense. ABD hat told me months ago if the trip cancelled due to low numbers the airfare is forfeited. I would get a refund but could not keep it to travel on my own. No sense....

Last edited:
Not sure about Tauck, maybe someone who has a trip with them can chime in? I know Thompson refunded has refunded for Japan in July.

I think if ABD can't guarantee that a trip is going to go in a month they shouldn't be asking for PIF. IOW they should bear the uncertainty of closed borders not their customers. At a minimum they should be giving travelers a month lead time, and I think it's on them--not their customers--if they can't do that. The fact that they haven't cancelled trips in Europe in June is pretty ridiculous. It's not just international border closings at issue. NY is on lockdown until at least mid-May 15th. I can't believe ABD would think it would be appropriate to suggest International pleasure travel will resume shortly after the biggest city and fourth most populous state in the US may start easing SIP restrictions (and I can guarantee international plane travel won't be one of the first things eased!) In terms of worldwide shut downs most are open-ended: https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-travel-restrictions.html But I believe Macron was speculating recently that the Schengen area might be closed to foreign travel until September. Yikes! While I hope that is him just thinking out loud that does give some kind of idea on what European leaders are thinking regarding tourism.

I agree that it may be precipitous to cancel some trips outright in July. DD and I have to get to the UK at the end of June/beginning of July to clear out her apartment before her lease expires. I think we can get there because UK hasn't closed it's borders, but that doesn't mean i'll be looking forward to it. I'm assuming we could travel as "necessary" even if the level 4 is still in place. I'm also assuming our flights won't be canceled and/or we can find another one if they are. I am not looking forward to it, and I'm already trying to figure out how we can do it the most safely with masks/gloves/social distancing, etc. and this is not a pleasure trip.

Just thinking out loud here, but what I would do if I were ABD is this: I would announced that due to the worldwide pandemic and great uncertainty in tourism/travel in summer and fall, we are cancelling all domestic trips through May and all international through June. For trips beyond those time frames, we are pushing back all PIF until 30 days before a trip departure. If at that point border restrictions haven't been lifted, we will cancel and return all deposits. If it is determined trips can go on as planned as there are no travel restrictions, PIF will be due within 3 days. Something like that. It's not ideal, but it at least gives their customers a framework of what they can expect.

Oops ... should have added that if I were ABD, I would also make explicit that due to the unusual situation and uncertainty at this time, any deposits for trips through the end of the year (right now it's only for trips until June) that have not been cancelled yet by ABD can be exchanged for a voucher that must be used by x date (i.e voluntary cancellation situation like what other companies are doing). This may also give them a better idea of demand.

I also just looked at the ABD PIF policy and they've simply moved the PIF forward by 30 days. It is still required 90 days out! Yikes, that is horrible: https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/travel-advisory/

This is how I feel. I'm a little miffed that I'm expected to PIF for SoCal/DL for mid-July when they cannot guarantee any component of that trip will actually happen - DL isn't open until further notice and, even if it does open, will there be nighttime shows? Do they really want us traipsing through The Walt Disney Studios and Archives and Imagineering right now? Oh well. I'll probably just park the deposit and hope a future SoCal/DL date will work.

This is how I feel. I'm a little miffed that I'm expected to PIF for SoCal/DL for mid-July when they cannot guarantee any component of that trip will actually happen - DL isn't open until further notice and, even if it does open, will there be nighttime shows? Do they really want us traipsing through The Walt Disney Studios and Archives and Imagineering right now? Oh well. I'll probably just park the deposit and hope a future SoCal/DL date will work.
I have a trip to DL on July 21st right now so I feel your pain. I suspect the chances of DL being open at that point are remote at best. Gov Newsom is supposed to be providing an update on a POSSIBLE timeline for reopening next week if, and only if, the numbers of hospitalizations and ICU admissions go down. They went down nicely a few days ago and are level today so I'm hopeful and optimistic that we will have better guidance on when things will begin to let up a little next week. But my suspicions are that they will aim for a mid-May partial reopening and then go very very slowly. Schools he has already said are closed for the remainder of the year. He also said the prospects of mass gatherings was negligible until a vaccine or herd immunity. That is sobering if it includes Disneyland.

P.S. Should add that I thought it was funny that Iger is one of the members of the recovery task force: https://deadline.com/2020/04/gavin-...schwarzeneggerbob-iger-tom-steyer-1202911400/

Tauck called us and asked if we wanted a full refund? Since we are traveling with Tauck in september we were offered to credit towards the next trip with a small "inconvenience " credit included. Easy peasy with Tauck now if the world and this stupid virus would start cooperating.....Can't say enough good things how Tauck handled everything for us.

I agree. This makes sense. At this point all international trips through June should be cancelled. It’s the responsible thing to do.

I also just looked at the ABD PIF policy and they've simply moved the PIF forward by 30 days. It is still required 90 days out! Yikes, that is horrible: https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/travel-advisory/

I misread their 30 day PIF policy. Agreed, 90 days PIF (for a July trip) is too far in advance right now. It seems like a long shot tourism is back to normal by July.

I saw Iger was on the recovery task force. I think that’s a good thing. I believe he’ll do what’s ethical and keep safety the top priority. He’s made ethical calls before without regard to financial fallout. That’s going to be a huge question of when Disneyland and WDW can reopen. I know there’s been discussion of temp checks and virtual queues, but ultimately I’m sure they're just going to have to wait until the case numbers get to a low enough level.

I agree. This makes sense. At this point all international trips through June should be cancelled. It’s the responsible thing to do.

I misread their 30 day PIF policy. Agreed, 90 days PIF (for a July trip) is too far in advance right now. It seems like a long shot tourism is back to normal by July.

I saw Iger was on the recovery task force. I think that’s a good thing. I believe he’ll do what’s ethical and keep safety the top priority. He’s made ethical calls before without regard to financial fallout. That’s going to be a huge question of when Disneyland and WDW can reopen. I know there’s been discussion of temp checks and virtual queues, but ultimately I’m sure they're just going to have to wait until the case numbers get to a low enough level.
Totally agree. I think they mentioned that Disney was one of the biggest employers in CA (might have been Southern CA), and I think he will do what is responsible. The brand is key here, and they have to protect it. The last thing they'd want is to open and then be linked to a big outbreak. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out, but I hope they come up with some inventive ideas. Maybe they can get the imagineers on it :) I want to go back to the parks! I'm also watching the vaccine/theraputic/plasma trials with eagerness. Oxford has one that they are working on and could be ready by fall--that's the earliest and most optimistic timeline for a vaccine that I've seen. Go Oxford!

Tauck called us and asked if we wanted a full refund? Since we are traveling with Tauck in september we were offered to credit towards the next trip with a small "inconvenience " credit included. Easy peasy with Tauck now if the world and this stupid virus would start cooperating.....Can't say enough good things how Tauck handled everything for us.

Hmmmm. We still haven’t received a call about our June trip that was cancelled last week. And they said not to call them and that they would reach out to us.

Totally agree. I think they mentioned that Disney was one of the biggest employers in CA (might have been Southern CA), and I think he will do what is responsible. The brand is key here, and they have to protect it. The last thing they'd want is to open and then be linked to a big outbreak. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out, but I hope they come up with some inventive ideas. Maybe they can get the imagineers on it :) I want to go back to the parks! I'm also watching the vaccine/theraputic/plasma trials with eagerness. Oxford has one that they are working on and could be ready by fall--that's the earliest and most optimistic timeline for a vaccine that I've seen. Go Oxford!

Yeah I saw one group that was “80% confident” a vaccine would be ready by 6mo. I think it was a group out of Oxford.

I think all the travel companies need to reevaluate their response given how long travel has been and is likely to continue to be impacted.

I went ahead and rebooked with Nat Geo before my June trip was cancelled because there was only one other trip that worked with our schedule and the website said there was still availability. I was concerned that if I waited any longer to rebook, there would be no slots available on that trip.

I'm traveling with Nat Geo because I want to go on THIS specific itinerary. I chose them over other companies like ABD and Tauck because I want to take THIS trip. And I preferably want to take a trip THIS YEAR. I can't think of any circumstance where I would pay for a trip in full over a year in advance.

Even though many of us are repeat ABD customers, I think it's a little obnoxious on their (or any company's) part to simply assume that we want to spend an average of $5000-$10,000 per person to travel just anywhere. For example, if I had booked ABD's Japan itinerary (which I have my eye on for a trip in the next two years), it would not be acceptable to me to move that $20k (or whatever the Japan trip is going for these days) to a trip to Alaska or Wyoming.

And, you've got to figure that the trips that they will be able to offer for rebooking this year will be very limited. They've already cancelled all April and May trips. No one is likely to be going anywhere in June. In July, I think it's reasonable to hope that some domestic trips may proceed (probably not the DL trip). But, if you had a trip booked to Italy, you probably don't want to go to Arizona (at least I wouldn't).

The longer this drags out, the fewer options are going to be available for rebooking. And the idea that customers view all of these trips as being simply interchangeable is a horrible misinterpretation of WHY people are willing to spend $$$$ on specific itineraries.

I think ABD and others are going to find themselves unable to accommodate all of the customers who need to rebook on a comparable trip in a reasonable period of time. And, even though I know they will try, it just seems ridiculous to me to keep customers' money when you can't rebook them until next year...unless you offer some really generous perk as an incentive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter