Trip Report, 9 nights, TDL, Tokyo & just a little Earthquake !! completed 9/22

Thanks for posting - really enjoying reading along! In your last update, you've mentioned 2 things that I have concerns about. My partner is a pretty big guy, and I am worried that we may have issues with some of the rides. Was it mostly the more thrill ride types that could be problematic?

We also have concerns about the food, mainly because we both just enjoy plainer type food and neither of us are big on seafood, although I will eat fish and prawns if they're peeled and in a dish already. Neither of us have any allergies as such, but I can't stomach mayo, really hate pickle and don't like mushrooms, which all seem to be pretty common in Japanese cuisine along with the seafood. For this reason, I don't think we'll bother with reservations at any of the sit down restaurants. For quick service, did you notice whether there are any pretty plain options for kids meals?

The thrill rides for sure, pretty much anything with a harness, on a couple of the old school rides we had to sit kinda side ways with our knees, but not bad at all. DH and I both have long legs.

there are alot of options for meals, I would down load the app, and check out the restaurants, what I did was write down the names then, just google the names of the restaurants and most of them you can get a menu, so you can see whats offered, As well at Ikspiari, there is Rain Forest, and I think Outback. Not sure of the menu offerings but some American chain options. With the Hilton breakfast buffet there were lots of safe items, for you to fill up on. You might surprise yourself and step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Ramen is a pretty safe option.

I hope this helped in some small way.

Thanks for posting - really enjoying reading along! In your last update, you've mentioned 2 things that I have concerns about. My partner is a pretty big guy, and I am worried that we may have issues with some of the rides. Was it mostly the more thrill ride types that could be problematic?

We also have concerns about the food, mainly because we both just enjoy plainer type food and neither of us are big on seafood, although I will eat fish and prawns if they're peeled and in a dish already. Neither of us have any allergies as such, but I can't stomach mayo, really hate pickle and don't like mushrooms, which all seem to be pretty common in Japanese cuisine along with the seafood. For this reason, I don't think we'll bother with reservations at any of the sit down restaurants. For quick service, did you notice whether there are any pretty plain options for kids meals?
I’m a pretty plain eater and don’t eat any seafood either. We went in 2019 and I had no trouble finding things to eat. Definitely look ahead of time at the restaurants and have some kind of plan where you want to eat. I was able to get things taken off too if there was something I didn’t like (like pickles or ketchup on a burger). We ate at Magellan’s and thought it was really good

The thrill rides for sure, pretty much anything with a harness, on a couple of the old school rides we had to sit kinda side ways with our knees, but not bad at all. DH and I both have long legs.

there are alot of options for meals, I would down load the app, and check out the restaurants, what I did was write down the names then, just google the names of the restaurants and most of them you can get a menu, so you can see whats offered, As well at Ikspiari, there is Rain Forest, and I think Outback. Not sure of the menu offerings but some American chain options. With the Hilton breakfast buffet there were lots of safe items, for you to fill up on. You might surprise yourself and step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Ramen is a pretty safe option.

I hope this helped in some small way.

Hopefully that will be ok then. My partner's not really the thrill ride type anyway, and has already offered to be the bag minder while I ride single rider 😉

I’m a pretty plain eater and don’t eat any seafood either. We went in 2019 and I had no trouble finding things to eat. Definitely look ahead of time at the restaurants and have some kind of plan where you want to eat. I was able to get things taken off too if there was something I didn’t like (like pickles or ketchup on a burger). We ate at Magellan’s and thought it was really good

Thank you both for the input on food! Good to know that having things taken off is potentially an option. I'll try to find some more menus. I'm pretty funny about textures and unusual flavours or combinations of flavours, and actually can't stomach it at all which can be very embarrassing and makes me nervous to try new things. Japanese does seem to be particularly problematic for me. I had a work function a couple of years ago at a fancy Japanese restaurant in Melbourne and could only stomach a few bites out of about 10 courses! Everyone else thought it was amazing and raved about it for weeks, but I much preferred the Macca's I got on the way home 😂 I know I enjoy chicken teriyaki and gyoza, and I'll eat ramen, although it's not my favourite.

We've actually splurged on club level at the Hilton, so hoping that there will be plenty there that we can enjoy!

Hopefully that will be ok then. My partner's not really the thrill ride type anyway, and has already offered to be the bag minder while I ride single rider 😉
To my understanding - only two rides at DisneySea offer a "single rider" line - Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits. I don't think there are any "single rider" lines at Disneyland.

Sorry it took me a bit, I went back through all the pictures. It is really very seafood forward, with that said they did have 1 chicken dish, and a carving station with beef. Some type of veggie rice, as well as white rice, a small salad bar selection. Its not like the buffets at WDW, with the balance of poultry, beef, and seafood. As far as veggies, they were mixed in with several fish and dished, so that would not work out for you. I really don't know if it would be worth it or taking the risk with all the seafood on the buffet. It was very plentiful, and using thing like fish or seafood stock to make rice or sauces could pose a real problem for you. I hope this helps out.
Thank you for checking. I think I will pass to be safe.

Thank you both for the input on food! Good to know that having things taken off is potentially an option. I'll try to find some more menus. I'm pretty funny about textures and unusual flavours or combinations of flavours, and actually can't stomach it at all which can be very embarrassing and makes me nervous to try new things. Japanese does seem to be particularly problematic for me. I had a work function a couple of years ago at a fancy Japanese restaurant in Melbourne and could only stomach a few bites out of about 10 courses! Everyone else thought it was amazing and raved about it for weeks, but I much preferred the Macca's I got on the way home 😂 I know I enjoy chicken teriyaki and gyoza, and I'll eat ramen, although it's not my favourite.

We've actually splurged on club level at the Hilton, so hoping that there will be plenty there that we can enjoy!
We had to compromise while we were there because dh is adventurous with eating and I’m picky. Some days we did places he was interested in and other days we did 7-11 or McDonald’s for me 😆

To my understanding - only two rides at DisneySea offer a "single rider" line - Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits. I don't think there are any "single rider" lines at Disneyland.

Well at least something is better than nothing!

We had to compromise while we were there because dh is adventurous with eating and I’m picky. Some days we did places he was interested in and other days we did 7-11 or McDonald’s for me 😆

We're lucky in that way - we're both picky 😆

The ramen in japan will absolutely shock you on how delicious it is. Tonkotsu Ramen is SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!!
In alot of ramen spots in Japan you can make it how you like it. I like mine not spicy, and the noodles done soft, and the broth medium richness, DH likes his not spicy, with the noodles done medium and the broth lighter. We both love alot of green onions added in. So you can control this.
I will say I really am not a fan of curry... Yet I found myself enjoying vegetable curry and beef curry, it is very different Japan for me it was more like a really thick and super flavorful veggie stew, and the beef was like a tender pot roast and super flavorful. I just took a tiny bit to try, and I found myself going back for more. Each morning I was having some for breakfast.
There is plain white rice everywhere, and pork cutlet would be a safe bet. Think kinda like chicken fried steak, but with pork. It is lighter and much more flavorful. As well there is McDonald's, subway, Taco bell and yes of course Starbucks.
I have a texture issue with food. I find if I just take a tiny tiny morsel of something, I know if I'm in or out on it.

While we were there I did not notice any single rider lines even on Indiana Jones and we did not get far enough into Raging Spirits. I know I did not see any single rider lines at Disneyland.

Thank you for checking. I think I will pass to be safe.

I have a food allergy as well, coconut of all things. What I did to make sure and double check. It that I would use google translate and show it to the server I used this during our whole time in Japan as well whenever we travel. This worked well for me, especially with the desserts or if I still wasn't sure I would just skip it.

Thank you both for the input on food! Good to know that having things taken off is potentially an option. I'll try to find some more menus. I'm pretty funny about textures and unusual flavours or combinations of flavours, and actually can't stomach it at all which can be very embarrassing and makes me nervous to try new things. Japanese does seem to be particularly problematic for me.
I want to caution you that outside of Disney, I haven't found it easy to customize a sit-down Japanese meal in the Tokyo area. Allergies are one thing, but preferences generally aren't part of the culture, and it seems like many places have no process to accommodate. So you may just get No for an answer.

Places where you pay up front at a machine, like MimitoAlex said with ramen, can be a better bet. ::yes::

But I do want to encourage you that there are other cuisines available too, since Japanese combos don't always appeal to you. I have had some top notch Italian and French meals there as well as Korean BBQ (because Japanese BBQ wasn't enough for my weirdo family...)

Last edited:
The ramen in japan will absolutely shock you on how delicious it is. Tonkotsu Ramen is SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!!
In alot of ramen spots in Japan you can make it how you like it. I like mine not spicy, and the noodles done soft, and the broth medium richness, DH likes his not spicy, with the noodles done medium and the broth lighter. We both love alot of green onions added in. So you can control this.
I will say I really am not a fan of curry... Yet I found myself enjoying vegetable curry and beef curry, it is very different Japan for me it was more like a really thick and super flavorful veggie stew, and the beef was like a tender pot roast and super flavorful. I just took a tiny bit to try, and I found myself going back for more. Each morning I was having some for breakfast.
There is plain white rice everywhere, and pork cutlet would be a safe bet. Think kinda like chicken fried steak, but with pork. It is lighter and much more flavorful. As well there is McDonald's, subway, Taco bell and yes of course Starbucks.
I have a texture issue with food. I find if I just take a tiny tiny morsel of something, I know if I'm in or out on it.

I want to caution you that outside of Disney, I haven't found it easy to customize a sit-down Japanese meal in the Tokyo area. Allergies are one thing, but preferences generally aren't part of the culture, and it seems like many places have no process to accommodate. So you may just get No for an answer.

Places where you pay up front at a machine, like MimitoAlex said with ramen, can be a better bet. ::yes::

But I do want to encourage you that there are other cuisines available too, since Japanese combos don't always appeal to you. I have had some top notch Italian and French meals there as well as Korean BBQ (because Japanese BBQ wasn't enough for my weirdo family...)

Thank you both for these tips - that is very reassuring!

OP here, I agree with Nono inside the Tokyo Disney bubble I think you have a much better shot at getting things removed. In other areas not so much. If you check out the displays of the food offered, you see exactly what is offered. So you can go from there.

The china voyager was absolutely delicious, possibly the most overlooked quick service place. Very fulfilling ramen and good price. Lots of locals go there so that's another good indication of how it is.

Good Morning OP here...

We woke up to a wonderful day, this is the first day that we both had slept thru the night. We headed down for breakfast, made a stop in the Disney Store on site, went into Lawson, and took some pictures around the hotel. Once back in the room we finished packing up everything which wasn't much since we had tackled the majority of it the night before since we skipped Ikspiari the night before due to rain, We called for our bags to be picked up, it was the fastest that our bag have ever been picked up anywhere at anytime. Within like 5 minutes. We headed down to check out, and while we were checking out, our car arrived about 15 minutes ahead of time, with check out complete, we got in the car and headed for Shibuya.
Tip: make sure that you are all pack and ready to hand your bags over, as well be early for the car service pick up, having Hilton schedule our pick up was very easy, and absolutely no stress.

We would stay here again for sure. While the bed was a bit to hard for my personal liking I would stay here again for sure, as everything else was perfect for us. I loved that they had a Lawson inside the store, and a nice Disney store. The nonstop bus between Bayside Station at the end of the day was really nice. I think we might have waited like a possible 5 minutes at the longest time. Resort line aka the monorail was super cute, and easy to use.

The car ride was really kinda cool, we did get to go over the rainbow bridge, which I asked the drive rainbow bridge and he seemed impressed that I knew about it.

We arrived at the hotel and started our adventure in Tokyo. Cerulean Tower Toku Hotel, I actual scored a great price which included breakfast on Expedia. Which was on the Executive floors, they took us up to the 35th floor to check in, it was all very nice and a bit fancy, while we waited, they put our bags in our room, we sat at a table with an amazing view of the city, they offered us drinks and other refreshments while we waited. During that time they explain how breakfast worked gave us our tickets for breakfast, asked about what time we would like turn down service, and other amenities in the hotel. Once everything was completed we headed to our room. It was really nice, way nicer than the pictures on-line. The view from our room was something for sure. We loved that there was a table with 2 chairs and couch that was quite comfortable. We took a few minutes to unpack a few things and kinda refresh ourselves we headed out.

First up was to visit Hachiko, which was about a 10 minute walk, we use google maps and once we figured out how to move around he was very easy to find. We did take a couple of pictures, DH commented on how everyone lined up, took turns and was considerate of others waiting for their turn to take pictures.

The "Scramble" is right there, The Shibuya Crossing, it was crazy walking with so many other people at once. Orchestrated Chaos is what it is. Then we decided to hit up Starbucks for a drink and a snack. So while I should not have to say this I will, you have to go through the line, and buy something at Starbucks to get to the 2nd floor to see the crossing. Please don't try to squeeze by the line and go up, not cool not cool at all. Yes we did encounter a group trying to by pass the line and sneak up there. to which they were stopped, and told for our customers only. Please just wait in line, grab something drink, and don't be those people. While we watched we did see the what I'm going to call the Mario carts go by several times. They did look kinda fun, yet a bit unsafe.
Once we finished up, we decided to head to Shibuya Parc, to find the Pokemon and Mario store, on the way we found the Disney Store. It is like a boutique not like the typical Disney store. We did go in and check it out, I think its was 3 stories, It was so hot in there, It started making me sick. So we left. We found the Shibuya Parc, and Pokemon and Mario store, it was crazy in there. Again no kids t-shirts, we did manage to get some socks, and pencils, and pencil case for gifts. All the T-shirt were adult size, medium and large only. We did have the nicest employee try to help us find a small or x-small adult size. No luck... So we were okay with what we decided on. We went into several other stores around there, by this time the starbucks snack had worn off and we were getting hungry. So we did manage find Ichiran Ramen, the line was out the insanely long, like 90 or more minutes. We decided to call it a night and head back to hotel and find a spot to eat along the way. We did find a spot Kirin City I think thats what it was called, and went in for a cocktail and a appetizers. It was super easy to order the set up was with i-pads, he pressed English, and we looked through and ordered, pretty simple. We had some mussels with garlic bread they were absolutely delicious, and broth would have tasted good on a flip flop... , DH had a kirin, and me I think it was suppose to be a mojito, not really what I would call a mojito, it was really good though... Then on to more shopping, then we came across Mark City and the Food Show, honestly the beautiful desserts, each night we stopped and took something back to the hotel to try.. AMAZING... Sooooo Sooooo good. Stop here for sure...

I have to stop here for now, I have stuff to do today. I will finish our first day next time.

Thanks for following along.

While we were there I did not notice any single rider lines even on Indiana Jones and we did not get far enough into Raging Spirits. I know I did not see any single rider lines at Disneyland.
In my experience - you have to ask the ride attendants / cast members. I don't think they're "sign posted" as such.

Good Morning, OP here.

In finishing up our first day, Originally I thought we would head to the hotel, once we had some appetizers and cocktails we did have some renewed energy and kept pushing forward. We found Daiso, and well a Toku Hands, and found the Sanrio store, which was a request for a certain gift. Which we did find something called Keroppi which I have no idea about, yet we were successful in finding this little frog for a friend. After that we did finally head back toward the hotel. It was around 7:00 ish and we both realized how hungry we were. So we decided to find a spot and grab something more substantial to eat. We found a pork cutlet spot and stopped in, it was like a local place, with mostly business men. It was kinda funny, the lady said toilet for customer only, and I said we would like to have dinner, she smiled and said okay, oh sorry please please come in. They did have the menu in English. We ordered the pork cutlet was really really delicious, the dipping sauce was what was so addictive. We also had shrimp tempura as well some type of veggie rice, and which is not what is normally served with this dish. It was really good it made you want more and more of it. So I would call this some type of fusion meal combo. I had a cocktail and I have no idea what was in it. I will say that 1 would be the limit, and DH a couple of Kirin beers. When we were paying the bill, she apologized again for the bathroom issue, which we both were like that's not necessary. I wish I would have taken a picture of the outside of the restaurant. I have looked through the pictures to see if I did and I can not find one. Sorry about that.

Headed back to the hotel, and we found the 7/11 store which is on the 2nd second story on the outside of the hotel. Grabbed some water, and cola for the room. It was nice coming back to the room with the turn service all nice and neat, with PJ's laid out which I had to laugh, DH held them up to him and they looked like kids PJ's up against him. Even slippers on each side of the bed. Really very nice. The view at night was totally amazing.

Up next our day with our Guide Toshi-San -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter