Trip Report, 9 nights, TDL, Tokyo & just a little Earthquake !! completed 9/22

Good Morning everyone, Op here...

Sorry its been a while, I have been trying to finish a couple of projects in the house, and get my parents house ready to sell, which is a nightmare. They have beyond stuff, just when I think I might have a hold on one part of one room, I open another drawer and its more of the same. Every piece of paper needs to be gone through. All the way back to the 90's.

Okay enough about my issue... LOL

Okay lets see... Ahhhh... Yes.

So we did turn in for the night, and both of us fell right to sleep, my DH's phone started vibrating around 3:30 am Tokyo time which was 2:30 in the afternoon at home one of his guys needed him, so they were texting back and forth. I was still asleep.
At 4:20am I felt the bed start kinda lightly shaking, like he was getting in or out of the bed, I woke up and thought what is he doing up at this hours, so I looked over my shoulder and he was sitting on the couch with his laptop out, I said honey...... then our phones started going off, sirens started all going off at once... EARTHQUAKE..... EARTHQUAKE.... EARTHQUAKE.... then room started bouncing up and down and swaying and shaking all at once, my DH said hold on, I could see out the window and you could see the top of the buildings moving. It lasted a good 20 seconds, it seemed much longer, You could feel it start to subside... He quickly moved to the bed, grabbed hold of me and we just looked at each other like what the heck.... So we waited if there was some type of instruction from the hotel, and nothing. DH did peak out in the hallway once it had completely stopped and no-one was even in the hallway... So we checked the news and it was a 5.4 on the Richter scale. I will say this was our first experience with a earthquake and hopefully the last. I told DH well they aren't telling us to evacuate the building, So I guess this is pretty normal for this part of the world. I will admit it was kinda scary, more scary to think about what could have happened for sure. We texted our DD to let her know what happened and that we were okay. We did not want her to see it on the news in the States and worry. Her response... are you okay? and cool!! lol

So we just laid there for a bit, letting our hearts slow down, then DH said well that wasn't on our bucket list... LOL

We decided to go ahead and start getting ready for our first full day in Tokyo. We hired a guide for the day. We went with pick up and drop off at the hotel, our tour started at 10:00 am. Showered, dressed and we started heading down for breakfast, and then we realized it was raining, back to the room. Tip: Rain coats and umbrellas, just to keep them in the back pack going forward. As well I brought along a large plastic ziploc, and a small wash cloth inside, to use to wipe the umbrellas, and rain jackets off a bit when heading inside, and drop the umbrella inside when we put them in the backpack, kept everything nice and dry inside.

The breakfast buffet is very nice at the hotel. A good mix of Japanese, Western and a couple of Middle Eastern dishes. They actual had someone using a juicer each morning... for honest to goodness fresh OJ. just amazing... Each day they some type of carving station with ham, and turkey breast one morning which is for us is a kinda different selection for breakfast, not sure what the glaze was on it, it was really delicious, moist and quite tasty. As well each morning they asked us about our egg choice for that morning. Rolled omelet, scrambled, and over easy, it was asked when you sat down then the would bring it out to you, instead of standing in the normal egg line. The rolled omelet was not for me, the eggs were not cooked and seemed very runny, like more along the raw lines, so over easy was the way to go for me. DH was good with scrambled, and over easy. We head out into the lobby to wait for our guide.

We had enough time to hit the restroom, and kinda relax. I noticed a man sitting down it was about 15 minutes before our pickup time at 10:00 am, He looked like the man in the picture on the website. I walked up to him and asked him if he was Toshi-san. I was right it was him. Tip: make sure to bow appropriately, and use the proper terms and show respect. I spent some time learning, and our friends kinda gave us the run down. I'm going to say without a doubt this was the absolutely best guided tour we have ever been on. Not only did we tour, and sight see we learned so much.

I'm going to stop right here. I have a bunch of stuff to do this morning.

Next Up: A full view of our day with Toshi-san. 🙇‍♀️

OMG how scary! Did the hotel staff say anything about the earthquake? Sounds like it must be pretty normal for them. I've only felt the extraordinarily mild ones we sometimes have in Australia where it's more like a freight train going past, and it's only a couple of times. I'd freak out if I could see buildings moving 😲

Looking forward to hearing about your day with Toshi-San. I'm kind of at a loose end with our day in Tokyo, so hopefully I'll get some good ideas!

Good Morning everyone, OP here.

Okay lets see where did I leave off...........

So after we greeted each other, and a few moments of small talk. He said that first off, he want to show us and explain to us what we would be seeing, and explain the history and customs as we went. So for around 10 minutes he show us a chart on the history of Japan, and how it all would fit together, so being a history buffs we both really enjoyed this.
Then we set off.

He show us a short cut, a quick walk to the train station from our hotel, which DH and I used the rest of our time. Then he helped us buy our sucia cards, 5,000 yen each we have the one with the penguin on it. Even explaining how to refill them later on. We did stop and he show us which train line we would be using, The Ginza line. Explained the differences in the train lines between the JR lines, local lines, and about the shinkansen/bullet trains. All done then we headed for the platforms. I could not get over how clean it was, spotless, no trash anywhere. Toshi-San went on to explain the we could use our cards, pretty much anywhere in the train stations, 7/11, Lawson, and most restaurants in the train stations would except it as payment. He said that there were a few that did not, and showed us what to look on the outside of the restaurants, and of course the vending machines.
Turn the turnstiles, and on to the platform.
It is very organized, just follow what everyone else does, everyone waiting and lining up within the yellow lines, letting other passenger off, before getting on. During the train ride it was so quite, we did talk between the 3 of us, but very quietly as not to disturb others around us.
Unspoken rules when riding the train, sit with your backpack in your lap, or place it on the rack right above you, if you are standing move the backpack in front of you. Everyone is quite, looking at their phones, listening to music on ear buds, or sleeping. I'm not saying no-one is talking, it is done very quietly. If a elderly person, pregnant woman, or someone with small children board the train give up your seat. If someone younger than you offers their seat to you, take it and make sure to thank them. It is being polite and courteous. Do not put your feet on the seat or let your kids put their feet or shoes on the seat.

Our first stop was Tsukiji Fish Market - Wow, its crazy big and super crowded, and I thought thank goodness we have a guide. Toshi-San asked us what we want to see, and sample. Which we did to the fullest. We tried O'Toro which was on the top of the list we have had it before and really enjoyed it so this was a huge treat. Around 50.00 US but it was more than enough for the three of us to share, as well we pick up some different types of chicken. You can not walk and eat there are way way to many people Toshi-San showed us to a communal spot where everyone was standing at a long table, we grabbed waters, and couple cokes out of the vending machine near by. I was very impressed by how everyone just made room for us, and as people were coming and going from the table not one person forgot to clean up after themselves, taking all the trash, and wiping down were they were eating at. In the communal table area there are all recyclable trash cans, as well a small container of paper damp paper towels. When we got ready to go, I noticed everyone at the table was watching us, we cleaned up our trash, and wiped our area, I looked up and several people were shaking their head approvingly, around the corner there was a large sink, really a trough that you could wash/rinse your hands afterward. No soap or paper towels. Luckily I had them in the backpack which I noticed that most people seem to carry a plastic bag, with soap and paper towels or a small towel. As well DH asked Toshi-San why are there not any trash cans anywhere, he said that right around the time of the Boston Marathon Bombing they had a similar thing happen, as well as a Sarin gas attack in the subway, both were hidden in trash cans, so they just simply removed the trash cans. He showed us the large ziploc style bag he carries in his backpack, he said everyone just keeps whatever trash they have and dispose's of it at home. He said everyone was worried about trash and such in the street, he said that the people make it a point to clean up, and are proud that keep it clean for their families, and children are taught to do this.
So I had mentioned in our email correspondence that I wanted a Japanese veggie knife. So he took us by 2 different shops, both were very nice, and workmanship was just amazing. We decided on the smaller of the 2 shops, Sugimoto, I really fell in love with this one Vegetable knife, the weight, plus is was stainless steel, and handmade. They even engraved our names in Japanese on it. They packaged the knife in a really beautiful box, covering the blade, and padding the knife for the long journey home to the US, then taped the box with blue tape, then gift wrapped in special paper, with the name of the company. The gave us as a gift a cleaning cloth, and direction in English to care for it. He told us do not open the box, the tape must not be broken, if our bag is checked it could cause problems and make sure it is in the checked bags . So we did as he told us, and it made it all the way home without a problem. Toshi-San suggested making sure it was padded and on top so if they did open our bag,it was on top. Which we also did. Cost 30,000 yen I think it was 230.00 US. It is beautiful, and it a pleasure to use.
We also purchased, some rice crackers, fire roasted soy beans they are soo addictive.

By this time we were starting to get hungry for lunch, he asked if we like sushi and our answer was of course. He was like tourist or local spot - we choose local spot please... So we walked for a couple of blocks, to quite street, and went into a lovely restaurant. They knew Toshi-San and greeted us warmly. They did have menus in English, we order the lunch special sushi, with was like 15.00 dollars US, As well Toshi-San pick a nice smooth Sake for us to try, along with a ginger ale and couple of beer for the guys. All in all the bill was about 85.00 US. The Sushi was amazing, and hand prepared right in front of us, there were like 12 pieces in all, plus miso soup, and some type of matcha dessert. This sushi in the US would have been more than 100.00 each plate. It was absoultely so delicious, super fresh, and well prepared, the chef was very please that we enjoyed it. Oishi ... on the sake it wasn't to to strong, and smooth, it was good. The matcha dessert looked very unassuming, be quite tasty. We could pay with a credit card here.

We headed for the train station next up Senso Ji Temple, and the shopping street.

OP here, and Good Morning...

Okay picking up where we left off. We headed for the train station, more tutoring on the train maps, and such which we really needed. As we came out of the train station it started raining, so Toshi-San took us into a building which I'm not sure of the name and we could look down on the shopping street, and the Senso Ji temple complex. We had discuss the difference between Buddhism and Shinto, how it Buddhism came to the island and how it is pretty much inter-mingled between both beliefs today. It started letting up and we headed down. First up the shopping street. I will say the rain did have several of the shops closing up early, and Toshi-San suggested that we might want to come back again when the weather was better, so that we could really enjoy the complex, did try several snacks I was really full from lunch and had to skip a couple of them, one I really wanted to try did have the red bean paste inside and I will say it was quite tasty I just wished I had more room for other snacks. The rain was really starting to throw a kink into our day. While we were standing under the second lantern complex, a woman approached Toshi-San and spoke with him, they kept staring at us. Toshi-San walked over and ask if we would like to be interviewed, about our thoughts on the earthquake and our first time in Japan. The reporter who I will say was absolutely lovely and the camera crew where very respectful and very excited the we were willing to speak with them. They interviewed us for around 10 minutes, after the interview they asked if they could just talk with us causally which we said sure, When they learned we live in Florida they asked if we lived near Mickey mouse, we said yes they were all very excited and asked about hurricanes, and alot of questions. We talked with them nearly 25 minutes. Toshi-San teased us that we were super stars now... LOL. I will say in talking with them it was one of the highlights of our trip. Toshi-San said that our interaction was really warm and friendly, and that Japanese sometimes don't look favorably at Americans or Western or European tourist at, he said she said they were afraid at first to ask us to be interviewed. He told them that we were "omoiyari no aru", which I think means kind or friendly. Which I take as a high compliment. Toshi-San explained the cleansing and purifying before entering the temple, he made sure we knew what to do, and we got the thumbs up from him, then into the temple he ask us not to take picture of inside the holy place, but we could take pictures on the other areas. Tip: Please Please respect the temple, no photos means no photos, we noticed several groups taking pictures even when they were being told not to by their tour guide and others. Really not a good look, and really uncool. Don't be those tourist.
On the way out we noticed everyone making a path and bowing, Toshi-San was like you guys are so lucky... He said the reason is the Tibetan Monks and they were blessing the crowd. As they were approaching we bowed with along with everyone. He said that being blessed by them is a true honor.

Due to the rain they had closed off pretty much rest of the temple complex, Toshi-San said it floods, except the main Temple and Shopping street. The Shinto Shrine is right next door, and Toshi-San asked if we would like to see it, which we did and spent some time, he taught us the right way to enter and pray. DH and I decided that we would come back the next day for sure. We had planned to Go to Sky tree, Toshi-San suggested that we see if ticket were still available, which I'm glad that he did they were sold out for the rest of the evening. We walked around and did a bit of shopping and the newer area. We headed for the train, and the rain really had set in.
It was getting very late around 7:00 at this point. We decided to head back to Shibuya at this point. Once we arrived it was full on storming, Toshi-San asked us if we want to get a drink. Which we said sure, We stopped in a very small izakaya style spot, had a drink and some shrimp with some kinda bread, it reminded me of garlic bread kinda. the bread was super light and airy. Really good. We talked for a while, then he walked us back to the hotel. Here is a tip, DH asked him if he would accept a tip, we did not try to hand him money, DH asked. he said he understood that as Americans he knew we would try and it was our custom, and he appreciated the offer, and he respecfully declined. We respected his wishes. With a proper bow and even a handshake. We parted ways. I looked at the time it was after 9:00.. We were both so tired, we grabbed some water and cola for the next morning and head off to our room and sleep.

Next up a day with trains on our own.

Hi Everyone, OP here,

We did get a very early start today. The night before we decided that we head back to the Senso Ji Temple, the weather was suppose to be really nice early in the day. We headed down for breakfast, which was very tasty and filling. I will say that DH wanted a Coke and I wanted a Ginger Ale which did cause a bit of confusion. It was an additional charge which was okay. The coke was served in a glass bottle and the ginger ale in a large beer pilsner glass. They had the veggie curry that recently I had become quite fond of, and it was very tasty, the difference was the veggies cut much larger, and it had some beef in it as well. So really beef and veggie curry. As well there was a middle eastern dish, that looked like milk/cream with some type of pasta, it was quite soupy. It had alot of spice's in it you could see it floating, and it had quite a strong smell. We were not brave enough to try it. It was to only morning that it was offered. Does anyone have any idea what it might have been? I'm just curious...

So we doubled check the backpack and headed out. We headed for the train station we took the short cut that Toshi-San showed us. We walked all the way to the Ginza line without any problem, and boarded the train. The Senso Ji Temple is the last stop from Shibuya. The ride was very very crowded for about half the ride. Once we arrived, we just followed the crowd, popped up google maps to be sure on which way to walk and we were off. I can not tell you how glad that we were that we went back on a nice day. We started on the shopping street, it wasn't that busy yet. We did buy quite a few things that we saw from the day before. Dish washer safe Chop Sticks and holders, hand made Lip balm and hand lotion that came in really beautiful containers, they are glass with each one have a calendar date on it. Which I picked up some for gifts. A bunch of small zippered like pouches, eye glass pouches, wallets and few change purses and other odds and end. We did get to take quite a few photos that we could not take the day before honestly we took a ton of photos, we followed the purification process that Toshi-San taught us. Then we went into the temple to pray. There is a huge vented container right in front to drop your offerings in. Which we did. Then we walked through the whole complex, it was so interesting. There were several huge school groups of what looked to be middle and high school kids, I never in my life have seen so many well behaved kids in all my life. There was one cheeky young man that looked and us and held up the finger hearts, then of course the V or Victory sign better known in the US at the peace sign to which I responded right back with the finger hearts, and the peace sign, to which all of his buddies started laughing, hitting him on the back... then they all bowed, and kinda ran off. It was quite cute! As we headed for the train station we were walking back down the shopping and the crowd started murmuring and then clapping and bowing, DH said its not the Monks from yesterday. A very large man was walking down the middle of the shopping street and everyone was giving way. A man tapped DH and said best Sumo. So we caught a glimpse of the best Sumo wrestler in Japan. So that was kinda cool for sure.

It was about lunch time we did pick up a few snacks and found a vending machine for drinks and found a seat in the complex under some trees to sit and enjoy our snacks. All refueled we headed for the train station, we are headed for Sky Tree. After a bit of confusion and such we did manage to find the right train to take us Skytree. Once there with some help again, we did find the ticket booth line. You can use a credit card here if you wish to buy your tickets. We decided on going all the way to the top. We only had to wait around 20 minutes for our time, there is quite alot to do here. There are several gift shops that they push you through. We did buy a magnet for the the fridge, as well we bought a photo package, which was only like around 35.00 US. I did notice people trying to get the photo person to take one with their phones, and it did not seem to be something that they normally do. As well they only take maybe 2 or 3 shots or photos, one group would not move and kept switching people, they knocked over a sign and wanting a bunch of different pose's and holding up the line. You could tell it was totally frown upon. While no-one said anything... yet there was disapproval for sure a bunch of side eyes, and head shaking going on. Behavior like this is not cool, so just don't do it. We did not realize that there is a aquarium., which I really wished that we had known. We spent quite a bit of time here. We decided to head back to Shibuya as it was starting to show sign that the rain was coming.

Next up - Shibuya Parc, to see if you could find some more gifts at Pokemon and Mario. Plus we wanted Ramen.

I lived in Japan many years ago, but still remember the frequent earthquakes. I slept through a major one despite the sirens. My father had to carry me to evacuate lol.

I've loved your report! Great job making us feel like we were right there with you. I'd love to go back!

Op here................ Good Morning, and what a rainy morning we are having here today.

Sorry its been a while since I sat down and worked on my trip report. So lets get started...

Well hang on a second I do have a side bar.... In my first installment I said that on the way home I started planning another trip to Tokyo, well that is going to happen sooner... just way sooner than later. Like in October of this year... My DD and I are going, to spend my birthday on a girls trip... Crazy town for sure... I'm so excited, so I had to get the airfare and hotels ironed our right away...So DD and I are planning... and she loves Disney... So that's at the top of the list.

Okay back to my trip report...

As we headed back on the train, it was super duper crowded. Packed to the gills as some would say. When we got off the train in Shibuya it had just finished raining, and we stopped and took a video of the Scramble and the busses coming and going, it is one of the best shot that I took of it. It was getting dark, and everything had that wet shiny look, and the lights reflecting off of everything, looked like something out of a movie. If I can I will try to link it.
As we headed out of the station. We were both so hungry, that we decided to grab some dinner. With Google maps in hand we headed for Ichiran Ramen. You really have to look for the sign, we did walk by it once, when I looked back I saw the sign. It is in what I would call a basement area, down some very steep and narrow stairs, still this did not keep us from getting in line, we were very lucky that there were only around 5 or 6 other parties in front of us and we did wait on the stairs. We did wait around 30 or so minutes, Let me tell you it was worth the wait for sure. The experience was so fun, and the food was delicious, I loved that we could customize how we like our ramen. We did go with the extra pork option and extra green onions only 1 order and it was quite plentiful and we shared it. DH did order 2 beers, I ordered a bottle tea drink of some kind, it was different sorta like green tea, and peach tea, with a splash of some type of citrus it was on the weaker side it was cold and refreshing. I would ordered it again. There are water cups and a water tap is what I would call it in each compartment, the divider does move back like a accordion door so you can talk with others in your party. With the first bite DH and I both said hummmmmm ! my tip here is order everything at once. make sure to clean up your area before leaving.
We both were full and happy. We decided to head back over to Shibuya Parc to see if we could score anything for some of kiddo's on our list for gifts. Mario had some type of event going on there were over 100 people waiting to get inside the store... that was a hard nope for sure, Pokemon pretty much had the same thing as when we where there the first time, we did spend quite a bit of time shopping around in some of the other areas... I will say if you love beautiful handbags, this is the place for you...as well be prepared for some major sticker shock. I did not buy a bag, I did however enjoy looking at them... lol.
We did make a stop at the Food Show on the way back to the hotel, all those tasty desserts where calling out to us. We ended up with some cookies, and a giant slice of cake with strawberries, and it had flowers on it as well. We headed back to the hotel with our treats. The cake was super light and airy, lighter than angel food, and the strawberries had a been glazed with something, yet it was not overly sweet, and the flavor was really good. This was a home run for sure.
We called it a night, and honestly I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

UP Next - Team Lab Plant, and Pandas... our last full day Japan.

Like in October of this year... My DD and I are going, to spend my birthday on a girls trip... Crazy town for sure... I'm so excited, so I had to get the airfare and hotels ironed our right away...So DD and I are planning... and she loves Disney... So that's at the top of the list.
Too bad we'll miss crossing paths. We're Nov.

Op here................ Good Morning, and what a rainy morning we are having here today.

Sorry its been a while since I sat down and worked on my trip report. So lets get started...

Well hang on a second I do have a side bar.... In my first installment I said that on the way home I started planning another trip to Tokyo, well that is going to happen sooner... just way sooner than later. Like in October of this year... My DD and I are going, to spend my birthday on a girls trip... Crazy town for sure... I'm so excited, so I had to get the airfare and hotels ironed our right away...So DD and I are planning... and she loves Disney... So that's at the top of the list.

Okay back to my trip report...

As we headed back on the train, it was super duper crowded. Packed to the gills as some would say. When we got off the train in Shibuya it had just finished raining, and we stopped and took a video of the Scramble and the busses coming and going, it is one of the best shot that I took of it. It was getting dark, and everything had that wet shiny look, and the lights reflecting off of everything, looked like something out of a movie. If I can I will try to link it.
As we headed out of the station. We were both so hungry, that we decided to grab some dinner. With Google maps in hand we headed for Ichiran Ramen. You really have to look for the sign, we did walk by it once, when I looked back I saw the sign. It is in what I would call a basement area, down some very steep and narrow stairs, still this did not keep us from getting in line, we were very lucky that there were only around 5 or 6 other parties in front of us and we did wait on the stairs. We did wait around 30 or so minutes, Let me tell you it was worth the wait for sure. The experience was so fun, and the food was delicious, I loved that we could customize how we like our ramen. We did go with the extra pork option and extra green onions only 1 order and it was quite plentiful and we shared it. DH did order 2 beers, I ordered a bottle tea drink of some kind, it was different sorta like green tea, and peach tea, with a splash of some type of citrus it was on the weaker side it was cold and refreshing. I would ordered it again. There are water cups and a water tap is what I would call it in each compartment, the divider does move back like a accordion door so you can talk with others in your party. With the first bite DH and I both said hummmmmm ! my tip here is order everything at once. make sure to clean up your area before leaving.
We both were full and happy. We decided to head back over to Shibuya Parc to see if we could score anything for some of kiddo's on our list for gifts. Mario had some type of event going on there were over 100 people waiting to get inside the store... that was a hard nope for sure, Pokemon pretty much had the same thing as when we where there the first time, we did spend quite a bit of time shopping around in some of the other areas... I will say if you love beautiful handbags, this is the place for you...as well be prepared for some major sticker shock. I did not buy a bag, I did however enjoy looking at them... lol.
We did make a stop at the Food Show on the way back to the hotel, all those tasty desserts where calling out to us. We ended up with some cookies, and a giant slice of cake with strawberries, and it had flowers on it as well. We headed back to the hotel with our treats. The cake was super light and airy, lighter than angel food, and the strawberries had a been glazed with something, yet it was not overly sweet, and the flavor was really good. This was a home run for sure.
We called it a night, and honestly I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

UP Next - Team Lab Plant, and Pandas... our last full day Japan.
We are going late sept/early October. Love the updates and tips!

Tours by Locals, as far as the cost was around 300.00 US for the 2 of us, as well we paid for sushi lunch with adult beverages for 3 of us around 100.00 US for lunch, At the fish market we tried alot of stuff, which the O' toro was 50.00 US alone, then other savory items, drinks around another 50.00 US as well as sweet treats on the shopping street at the Sensoji Temple, so around another 40 to 50 which we shared with Toshi-san. Remember that you don't tip in Japan. He did offer to pay for his own lunch, which we declined.

If you want to visit certain things I suggest that you email the tour guides first, it seems to me each has a certain expertise in different areas.
How did you find Toshi-San?? Could you give an idea of cost and what he can do for you??

Sorry everyone its been a while.

I have alot going on with my parents right now. I am going to finish the report, I put it on my calendar for Friday...

Thanks for hanging in there.

Good Morning everyone, Its been a while for sure. Sorry for the delay. I have had alot of life happening. I think that we are all squared away now.

So on with the show, This is our last full day in Japan.

We got up early, dressed, check the backpack had to restock it double checked for tickets for Digital Art Museum , and headed down for breakfast. All fed and refuled we headed for the trains, I will say that the first leg of our train trip was easy, we had to switch trains, which proved to be more complicated than we anticipated. So after a bunch of false starts, we had to go out of the train station and walk a couple of blocks, on google maps it showed the train underneath us, we spent about 10 minutes using google live, to find the entrance to the trains, which was this small entrance with some steps leading down. It wasnt really marked it actually looked like kinda a construction area. Finally we made it to the train. Here is a big big tip, make sure that you give yourself plenty of time especially if you have timed tickets. Once at our destination, there were signs in the train station to follow once out on the street. We used google maps live again. Which took us to the Digital Art Museum. They will look at your ticket if its your time they will direct you to get in line. Which is outside, make sure to have a umbrella, we stood in a light rain while waiting. We waited for about 40 minutes past our ticket time which we did expect. Once in, we were up, there was a problem with our ticket apparently the ones you can print are not valid, they send and email which we pulled up, then they sent us to stand in the line. So there is a short video make sure to watch it. You will need to take you shoes off, and roll up your pants - make sure you can roll them up over your knees. I'm 5' 8 and have long legs, and the water hit right below my knees. You pick a locker to store all your stuff. You can bring your phone make sure it is water proof or you have a case that's water proof in case you drop it. Yes we saw several people fishing around for dropped phones. After all that follow the crowd... I'm not going to go into alot of detail, this was one of the coolest things we have experienced. Just amazing and soooo much fun. This is totally worth the price of the tickets. So here is something that I wanted to talk about, is the restroom, they use toilet slippers in both restrooms, please please follow what everyone else is doing, look at the placement of the slippers on the floor. I wanted to add that after each room that involves water you are given a small towel to quickly dry your feet and legs, please throw the towel in the bins, don''t leave them on the floor, of benches. I know I should not have to say this, yet I feel like that it needs to be said.
All in All I think we spent about 2+ hours. My biggest tip here is not to rush, lay on the floor, stand in the water take it all in, stop, look and listen to the music. Don't rush through it.... it is a adventure for your senses. 5 stars !!!!

The only thing planned for our last day was the Digital Art museum. The weather had kinda cleared up some and we decided to go to Ueno Zoo to see the Pandas. We had planned on it earlier but due to the weather the storming was stopping that day so it wasn't possible. So walking back to the train station we were trying to map out the train, and DH said let get a taxi, so while talking, several pulled up, and we got so lucky that we were able to grab one, and it took us to Ueno Park which is where the Zoo is. It is a traditional zoo, its all about the animals. We decided that the Pandas were our priority, so we figured out how to get them... We did get to see the red pandas oh gosh they are sooo dang cute. Then we did get to see the pandas we walked through twice. They are much bigger than I expected and they were awake and eating... double score. They are so beautiful that at first they didn't seem real. We laughed at the male panda he was lets just say he is a lazy boy, he as lying on his back propped up all sprawled out eating bamboo, and just chillin out... LOL . I will say that we had to planned to buy T-shirts for some of the kids, and they had nothing for kids except like some snacks, and all the T-shirts were geared towards adult, and nothing with the pandas on them, again we were told because of Golden Week the week before. So I will say that when it say 5:00 closing that means that everyone is out of the park by 5:00- at 4:00 they started pushing everyone toward the gate. Luckily we were all done. So we did have to get some help to find the Ginza line which is a walk down the hill, and easy to find. We headed back to Shibuya, and decided that we wanted to kinda just walk around and grab something to eat, We found a small place and had a couple of drinks, and the dishes were just delicious. Then we walked around some more and did some last minute shopping. We went into the Daiso at Shibuya Station at Mark City. This is a huge store, we did pick up alot of extra little things, and I bought a ton of hair stuff. We had 3 bags, and it was like around 30 bucks US. We made on last stop for some desserts, and head back to the hotel.

We spent the next hour getting everything packed up, suitcases weighed, which we did have to shuffle stuff around to make the weight limits. We had alot of souvenirs. Everything all set, we went to bed. We had planned to get up and early eat breakfast and walk around a bit before going to the airport unfortunately we woke up to a rain storm so we decided to sleep a bit more. Then up showered, dressed and headed for breakfast. Went back to the room to relax, and double check the bags, clear the room, check out was super easy the desk even took our Japan Wireless envelope for us. Got into a taxi and headed for the airport. We did arrive a bit early which we were glad that we did. We got check in and got our bags checked, we headed for security. Which is were we hit a snag, there were several large tour groups in front of us, and they were not wanting to comply with security, which honestly is just non-sense. For goodness sake, take off your shoes, take your electronic out, just do what the rules or what they are telling you and move on !!! We got lucky and they directed us to a another line, and we got through security easy peasy. Make sure to double check and recheck your gate, we had one gate originally, then were moved to another gate about 90 minutes before boarding time.

We did hit the airport gift shop and guess what we found kids T-shirts.. Which we did buy... yay!!!

Next up my overall thoughts, tips, and packing suggestions.

Last edited:
First things First...

Thank you all for following along, I hope in some small way my Trip Report helps you out as you plan your own trips.

What to bring and packing tips.

* 1 complete outfit for each day of touring, pretty much we just got dressed each morning, and stayed in those clothes each day.

* 1 outfit for arrival day once you arrive, I could not wait to get out of my travel clothes..

* 1 outfit for travel day home.

* shoes - Athletic shoes(2), comfortable loafers style(2), airport shoes, and a pair of flip flop(1) for the plane. I went back and looked at my packing list took 5 pairs of shoes, which I was glad I did and my athletic shoes got completely soaked and I did have another pair to wear, so 5 pairs not including my airport shoes or flip flops.

* Water proof Raincoat, that come past your butt, umbrella - I also have a small face cloth that you can dry off with and a plastic bag for my umbrella to store in the back pack so it doesn't get everything wet.

* Under garments, PJ's, socks, slippers and toiletries.

* med's both prescription and over the counter. Keep these with you in personal item.

* Some type of small zip lock or bag to put trash in, as there are no trash cans anywhere.

* Another item that I pack in our backpack is a ziploc with hand soap, paper towels, and toilet tissue. I started carrying this years ago, I have a coconut allergy and super sensitive skin so these things are a must for me. Hand sanitizer and wipes.

*Sweater or light weight jacket - depending on what time of year you might needed heavier clothing.

* Here's what we carry in our backpack for the plane, med's, extra socks, flip flops, eye mask, neck pillow, personal travel blanket, lots of snacks, gum and mints, ear phones, ear plugs. Toothbrush/paste, hairbrush/ hair scrunchy, lint roller, contact solution, contact case and extra contacts, germ wipes, as well as hand wipes. I have a small make-up bag that has hand soap, paper towels, toilet tissue, as well as face wipes, and face cream, lip balm. Which we have had to use many many times. Electronics and all the cords X2!!! Once air side we buy each a large bottle of water and a soda.

* Odds and Ends - 2 travel fans, multi plugs, extension cords, luggage scale, duct tape, 2 small flash light/ extra batteries, small pair of scissors which is in the nail kit we carry which we put in the checked bag. . A wet bag, and shoe bags, body pillows, and heating pad. note pad and pens.

Overall - Tokyo Disney is worth the time to see, it really is very special. As a Disney nerd I was enchanted by it.
Tokyo is an amazing place, fast paced, bright, and absolutely beautiful. We loved the culture, customs, and most of all the people they were very kind and gracious to us. As always when you visit another city or country, you are visiting someone's home, please be respectful, and use your best manners and follow the customs. Learn some simple phrases, Immerse yourself in every way.

Get out there and wander, see the wonder...

Again thanks for following along, I would be happy to answer your question if I can...

In less than 6 weeks my Daughter and I will heading for Japan for our girls trip... Then DH and I are already planning for next year Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Toyko Disneyland to check out Fantasy Springs.

Domo Arigatogozaimasu . 🙇‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter