Trip with friend has kids and friend has NO kids--REALLY LONG

bigsis1970

Thanksgiving,a Birthday & our Anniversary 2017!
Hi Everyone,
thought I would ask if you have ever found yourself in the position or not.. I started making my plans for WDW in Jan when i discovered that I could fly in MCO cheaper then BNA for a wedding and then when the wedding is over we can take a week long vacation at Disney ( for about the same price as a week in Nashville ) so I have a friend - she has been my best friend for over 20 years closer to 25 . she is on a family trip now ( including in laws and everything - dreading every minute!! ) so she then says "if i can i will convince hubby that me and the kids should come with you and your kids" I am like ok and it really is .. we like the same type of things will have seperate cars and hotel room kids have all grown up around each other .. we live only 3 miles apart - sister type of deal.. then another friend - the one with out kids - her hubby aproaches me and asked if it would be ok if she comes with me in June again i have no problem with this - her mom and dad live in Ocala and she will stay there and comute in on the days they would like to join us -- she had been my very good friend for about 3 1/2 years . Now both of my friends have been around each other before - not a whole lot and seem to get along well and we 3 all have fun when we are out.. I am afraid my friend with OUT kids will feel left out or neglected due to the kids things.. I just don't want either of my friends not to enjoy themselfs or feel left out.. do you Know what I mean ??? Please someone tell me you have done this kind of thing before. The 3 of us have already decided to just do what we want and hope that it matches up some of the times with each other.
Does any one have any advise ??? Thanks Michelle

IMHO, your friend without kids has got to realize what she's getting herself in for. If she didn't think she could deal with the kids she wouldn't have asked to come! And if she gets there and it overwhelms her, she can always wander off by herself for a while and meet up with you later.

Advance discussions for trip expectations is a must!!! Make sure you have the discussion with both of your friends as to what you are planning/expecting for this trip ... it is, afterall, YOUR trip that they have invited themselves on.

Ask them what their expectations are. If everyone seems to be on the same page then I think you are all set and should have a great time.

.... ADVANCE discussion of expectations !!!! I cannot stress this enough!

Thanks - I am having a home and garden party at the end of this month and they both will be there so I think i will show them what i have planned for me and my kids and then they can make their own decisions on what they will be doing.. Michelle

There was a thread earlier about trips with various friends/family which was quite funny .... in hindsite, of course!

Sounds like you're on top of things and will have a great time!

I agree on setting expectations up front.

Try set expectations that each family will spend some (most?) of the time on a family vacation and that you'll get together for X and X and X (a morning at the MK, a character meal, dinner, Fantasmic). Then maybe you want to see if the hubby's can spend an afternoon at the pool while the girls hang out together kid-less.

Some people really enjoy watching other people's kids at Disney - it is a whole different trip, but watching kids light up at Disney is an attraction in itself. Back B.C. (Before Children) we used to do character meals - not necessarily for the characters, but to watch other peoples kids with the characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter