Truth about butterbeer refill mugs

Sorry if I'm being dense, but how much of a hassle is it to keep cleaning out those reusable butterbeer mugs? Sounds like a sticky mess to me or many extra trips to the rest rooms to keep rinsing them out.
:confused3

Sorry if I'm being dense, but how much of a hassle is it to keep cleaning out those reusable butterbeer mugs? Sounds like a sticky mess to me or many extra trips to the rest rooms to keep rinsing them out.
:confused3
That's what I was thinking too. :thumbsup2

We brought a mug back. Without tax, a new disposable cup of butterbeer was 3.99. In the mug, a refill was 2.99.

We would drink it, then someone would head to the bathroom to clean it out, and that was it. Not difficult at all, not sticky, either since we headed straight to the sink.

We saved a lot of money getting soft drink refills in our butterbeer mug. It was no big deal to rinse out because it was hot and the coke (or whatever) was gone long before the ice was.

Stupid question, but what do you do with the refillable mug while you're in the park riding rides? I'm not sold on the idea of putting it in one of the free lockers because it seems a bit unsanitary to me.

P.S. I wish they had turrets on the castle shooting butterbeer at people below. :banana:

Yeah, this was my question once, too. Of course, everyone gulped down their Butterbeer and then said, "Here, Mom", as they handed me the plastic mugs. They down them while we're still in WWOHP, so I always pop into the Moaning Myrtle bathroom to rinse them out/dry them. Then into my knapsack (of course) they go.

Yeah, this was my question once, too. Of course, everyone gulped down their Butterbeer and then said, "Here, Mom", as they handed me the plastic mugs. They down them while we're still in WWOHP, so I always pop into the Moaning Myrtle bathroom to rinse them out/dry them. Then into my knapsack (of course) they go.

I saw a bunch of preteen boys with their mugs all clipped to their lanyards. Good solution to the problem of the kids thinking you're the pack mule!

(not sure what they did while on the rides, especially FJ, but they looked theme-park-cool while walking around, LOL)

We reused ours and it was no hassle but like pp said, the soda was gone long before the ice. We have a stroller so we just stuck it under there.

they sell pear cider?! Where? In the 3 Broomsticks?

I''d love an update on whether .85 refills are still available. Am kicking myself for carrying that mug around all day last fall and not once getting a tea for .85!

Also, the Hogsmead mug -- I think I need to find one of those too!

The pumkin juice is nice to bring home as a gift to people since it comes in that cute bottle. We broke it open for thanksgiving and each had about a shot's worth, which was plenty.

The first time you buy a mug of butterbeer, with the reusable mug it is $9.99 for cold butterbeer and $10.99 for frozen ($2.99 and $3.99 in a disposable cup). Refills of regular drinks (soda, tea/lemonade, cider, pumpkin juice, etc.) are $0.79. Refills of the "novelty" drinks (butterbeer, icee, etc. ) are more, I think $1 less than the price of getting a drink in a disposable cup. I don't know about alcohol, if they will let you use the mug or not, but if they do it probably costs more than $.79 :laughing:. You can use the butterbeer mug for refills in IOA, US, and some of the carts at CityWalk. If you are staying more than one day (or going back next year), take your mug back with you and use it again - the cashier said it was good until the mug breaks.

There were two kinds of mugs for sale at Three Broomsticks, I could swear one of them was glass though, and I am too clumsy to be allowed to carry that around a theme park. :laughing:

I bought pear cider as a refill at Three Broomsticks, the cashier charged me $.79 and when I went to pick up my order, I just had to hand my mug to the server and he filled it from the tap. They also have pumpkin juice and apple cider there too, or if you aren't ordering food you can go to the tavern on the other side and the lines might be shorter.

My bag has a carabiner clip on the strap, so I just clipped my mug to that when I wasn't using it. And they put so much ice in the drinks, the mug doesn't really get sticky.

It pays for itself after a couple of drinks, plus it is one of the least expensive WWoHP souvenirs you can buy. The other nice thing (for me) is that it looks a little smaller than a regular drink cup - I can almost never finish the regular drinks, and it bugs me to pay for something I don't finish. :thumbsup2

Does anyone know if you can get coffee or tea refills in these cups for a discounted rate? HUbby and I love our coffee and tea and just wondered if we have to pay full price each time or if there is a way to get discounted rates on hot drinks too?

Is it possible to order drinks with no ice? My teeth can have trouble with things that are excessively cold, and since most fountain drinks are already chilled, I usually just order without ice. Can they not do that?

I can use my mug for refills over at US right? I need to figure out if I want to bring mine from home for the first day as we'll likely start at US, not at IOA.

I can use my mug for refills over at US right? I need to figure out if I want to bring mine from home for the first day as we'll likely start at US, not at IOA.

Yes, you can use it at US. Refills of soda are $0.79 ($0.85 with tax).

Update on Hog's Head mugs: I overheard the bar keeper at Hog's Head say that you could only buy a Hog's Head souvenir mug with an alcoholic beverage (no butterbeer) and a butterbeer souvenir mug for other drinks (no alcohol). She said that way they know if someone under 21 is drinking out of a Hog's Head mug, that they are drinking alcohol (which is against the law in FL).

Butterbeer mugs are very durable - I forgot mine on top of my rental car and it bounced off on Kirkman Rd. I went back and picked it up - a few chips, but not broken! :lmao:

Update on Hog's Head mugs: I overheard the bar keeper at Hog's Head say that you could only buy a Hog's Head souvenir mug with an alcoholic beverage (no butterbeer) and a butterbeer souvenir mug for other drinks (no alcohol). She said that way they know if someone under 21 is drinking out of a Hog's Head mug, that they are drinking alcohol (which is against the law in FL).

That goes alone perfectly with what the TM at 3 Broomsticks said to me. He was really envious of my Hog's Head mug, said that he wanted one, but he's under 21. I said "if only you could just buy the mug alone", and he agreed, but said that it's what you described above. They ONLY sell the Hog's Head mug (for those who don't know, it's NOT glass but it looks way more like glass than the Butterbeer mug, it's bigger, and my son has now stolen it from me at home, LOL) for alcohol and with alcohol, and they know that there has been some sort of control over who got the mug, etc etc.

Bummer. I wanted a Hog's head mug, but not the alcohol. So, what's the cheapest drink you can get in the Hog's head mug? Would need to buy at the end of the day since I'm guessing they won't refill it with soda for DD and I to drink.
Does anyone have a pic of one?

When we were at IOA in May, we were told that the Butterbeer mugs would not give us discounted refills on butterbeer. I guess now there are conflicting reports....

Does anyone have anything definitive? Are the rules "different" depending on where you get the refill?

How many places are there to get butterbeer? I know that there are 2 "kiosks"/wagons and the 3 Broomsticks. Anywhere else? Thanks!

When we were at IOA in May, we were told that the Butterbeer mugs would not give us discounted refills on butterbeer. I guess now there are conflicting reports....

Does anyone have anything definitive? Are the rules "different" depending on where you get the refill?

How many places are there to get butterbeer? I know that there are 2 "kiosks"/wagons and the 3 Broomsticks. Anywhere else? Thanks!

OK that's a good question that causes me to smack my head that I didn't remember to mention it.

The lower refills are to be had at the 3 Broomsticks, NOT at the outside kiosks. Thankfully the TM at the kiosks mentioned that to us (didn't hurt us at the time, since we were buying 3 MORE mugs, one for hubby's workplace, and 2 for souvenirs for family) so we knew where to go later on!

so just to clarify... there are 2 mugs.

1 to buy in hogs head, which you can only get alcoholic drinks in (but bigger and looks better/less cheap)

1 to buy in 3 broomsticks, which you can only get non alcoholic drinks in (smaller/plastic-y looking)

refills are 0.79 for soda etc (0.85 with tax) however may be $2.99 or $3.99 for the 'good stuff' like butterbeer/frozen butterbeer and pumpkin juice/fizz/cider.

just wanting to check my understanding so i know how much to budget for it all, as we're on a pretty tight budget :headache:

so just to clarify... there are 2 mugs.

1 to buy in hogs head, which you can only get alcoholic drinks in (but bigger and looks better/less cheap)

1 to buy in 3 broomsticks, which you can only get non alcoholic drinks in (smaller/plastic-y looking)

refills are 0.79 for soda etc (0.85 with tax) however may be $2.99 or $3.99 for the 'good stuff' like butterbeer/frozen butterbeer and pumpkin juice/fizz/cider.

just wanting to check my understanding so i know how much to budget for it all, as we're on a pretty tight budget :headache:

Not sure on the cost with the butterbeer refill but the pear cider refill was .85 just two weeks ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter