U.S. Embassy issues Security Alert for NASSAU

My daughter and I sail this Friday on a 3 night cruise on the wish. Our stop on Saturday is Nassau. I wonder if the captain will divert us to another port? Maybe we’ll find out when we board on Friday.
No, they won't. It's a choice to get off the ship. If you feel comfortable doing so, disembark. If not, the Wish is not a bad place to be for a day! I am not a fan of Nassau and would stay on the ship. It's a chance to get a good deck chair!

My daughter and I sail this Friday on a 3 night cruise on the wish. Our stop on Saturday is Nassau. I wonder if the captain will divert us to another port? Maybe we’ll find out when we board on Friday.
The Bahamas is still only a Level 2 Travel Advisory by the State Department. I don't know what DCL's threshold is for switching ports, but I would bet it's higher than Level 2. I was just on a cruise (not DCL) that made stops in some areas that are Level 3.

I disagree. Of the 93 currently available 3-night cruises, only 8 do not visit Nassau.
OK, this isn't often, but it is some. If Castaway Cay didn't count as a foreign port, there wouldn't be any scheduled cruises from Florida that stopped only at Castaway Cay.
There aren't other ports that would be feasable for a 3-night cruise, even if DCL did want to avoid Nassau. Many years ago DCL stopped at Freeport on some sailings, but that is at the same threat level as Nassau.

Given that many guests (and crew) will be eager to get off the ship in Nassau and those who aren't can just stay onboard, there's no reason to divert or skip the port.

I think there is just a bunch of media around this right now. We have been to Nassau a number of times. Sometimes we get off the ship, sometimes not. We need to be aware and careful no matter where you travel because as a tourist, you are not familiar with the area. I took a Disney tour to Blue Lagoon, much like the one that recently had the incident with the sinking boat. We did have a minor issue on our transfer from the ship to the island where we hit a huge wave and it flooded the boat momentarily. The crew was responsive, but it was a bit unnerving. You just need to be aware, that things can happen-anywhere, anytime. Jamaica and Mexico have always been hot spots and don't seem to be getting the attention Nassau is right now. Be aware of your surroundings wherever you go and enjoy your cruise!

We've been those crazy people who take the public jitney to Love Beach. It's really nice there with no one trying to sell you things. Probably will skip getting off in July though...

Event: The U.S. Embassy in Nassau advises U.S. citizens to be aware that 18 murders have occurred in Nassau since the beginning of 2024. Murders have occurred at all hours including in broad daylight on the streets. Retaliatory gang violence has been the primary motive in 2024 murders.

https://bs.usembassy.gov/security-alert/#:~:text=Event: The U.S. Embassy in,primary motive in 2024 murders.
That's like a normal weekend in Chicago. I'd feel safer in Nassau then most of the large cities in the US.

OK, this isn't often, but it is some. If Castaway Cay didn't count as a foreign port, there wouldn't be any scheduled cruises from Florida that stopped only at Castaway Cay.
I do think CC counts as a foreign port as far as cruise laws are concerned. But, DCL has so few of those because I am sure they are required by their agreement with the Bahamas to visit Nassau on most cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter