Ugly Christmas Sweater Party - Would you buy one?

Ugly Christmas Sweater parties kind of make me sad because my mom LOVES Christmas sweaters and has tons of them. Now I feel like people are making fun of her with all of these parties.

She is adorable by the way!

Go to the party and have fun, no matter what you wear!

I totally agree. I know people who use fanny packs, wear Crocs and/or who think mom jeans are perfectly acceptable. Guess what? I don't make fun of them by wearing fanny packs, Crocs and mom jeans in an ironic, faux hipster way.

If I had to go to one of those parties, I'd probably wear my plain red cashmere cardigan and one of my favorite vintage Christmas pins, a green circle skirt with a crinoline petticoat popped under it, (I AM a dress up girl though. :goodvibes) some plain ballet flats and have my hair teased out in a cute 50's look and tell people in a breathless, hushed voice that this IS my ugly sweater. . .these boyfriend cardigans are too sloppy for words! It would get me out of wearing an ugly sweater without being a blankety blank about it!

Ugly Christmas Sweater parties kind of make me sad because my mom LOVES Christmas sweaters and has tons of them. Now I feel like people are making fun of her with all of these parties.

She is adorable by the way!

Go to the party and have fun, no matter what you wear!

I totally blame "what not to wear"

I miss the Christmas Sweaters - there used to be so many - and I always would look them over and then buy one at the 50% after Christmas sales to wear the following year to schools (I sub) but now, no more...

My mom bought me 2 that didnt hold together and I finally tossed (and regret!) they were LIGHTED sweaters - one was a New Year sweater!! :rotfl: The good ole days!

Based on your words, I'd stay home.

I think these people love to have fun with their themed parties. Asking people to bring a dish to pass is perfectly acceptable for these kind of get togethers. Maybe they asked more than once because some people didn't oblige the last time.
If you felt put out by the last party where you needed to buy clothes and bring something, just politely decline this one. :)

This must be the thing to do this year. We've had 3 "Ugly Sweater" events this week. Today for work, I am wearing one that DD15 made last year. I vote for using craft supplies to ugly something up. That's what we did.

I went to 3 Thrift stores this week and was unable to find anything that I wanted to spend money on so I get not wanting to waste the time.

I do wonder how the people who walk around in "ugly" Christmas attire on a daily basis this time of year feel about these parties.

I think these people love to have fun with their themed parties. Asking people to bring a dish to pass is perfectly acceptable for these kind of get togethers. Maybe they asked more than once because some people didn't oblige the last time.
If you felt put out by the last party where you needed to buy clothes and bring something, just politely decline this one. :)

I have to agree. The OP seems very put out and thinks she is superior. If you don't like theme parties then you can stay home and be the grinch.:lmao:

Seriously you don't know a single person who owns a single Christmas pin?:confused:

Disclaimer: I am older than most of you and live in Indiana so wearing a Christmas sweater isn't something we do to be tacky, its something we do because we like doing it!!!

I always buy a new Christmas sweater every year after the Holidays for the next year. Last year I hit the mother-lode and found 3 on sale for $5 each! I have worn all 3 to Christmas parties this year and had lots of compliments, BUT I also have old friends who also love Christmas sweaters!

Being a lover of Christmas sweaters, it doesn't offend me when people have ugly Christmas Sweater parties. In fact, I have given some of my older collection to people to wear to such parties!

OP, if you have anything holiday related, like a red/green sweatshirt or sweater can you just get something inexpensive and pin it to the front and go and enjoy yourself? There are lots of ugly Christmas things out there that could be put on the front of the shirt and you would be good to go for just a couple of dollars.

I was stalking eBay about a month ago trying to buy ugly christmas sweaters for my family. My kids wanted to do an ugly christmas sweater picture for our christmas card picture. Anyway, what I discovered is that the sweaters that were going for $$$$$$$$$$$ were seriously over the top type sweaters. They had stuffed animals pinned to them,etc.

I don't think people are making fun of "regular" holiday sweaters.

Although, several of the eBay listings had titles like this "Men's Women's Ugly Cute Christmas Sweater". In the listing they would say something like "This is a super ugly Christmas sweater that would be great to wear to a party. Or its super cute, if you like this kind of thing." :rotfl:

I just thought it was funny.

Maggie

I have to agree. The OP seems very put out and thinks she is superior. If you don't like theme parties then you can stay home and be the grinch.:lmao:

Seriously you don't know a single person who owns a single Christmas pin?:confused:

I don't own any Christmas pins...... :confused3 Not sure why you're confused that the OP doesn't know anyone who does, I think I only know of a few people that have Christmas pins....

OP I think the red jacket or the blue cardigan with some garland ($3.50 at Target for full size, I saw it for less as well) and Christmas decorations (they have snowflake ornaments at Target, pack of 4 for $1, our store had red, white, blue, purple, pink) would work great. No need to go buy a new sweater, just use what you have a "fix" it up. :)

Actually, I have to edit this.....I do own Christmas pins, BUT they are all Disney pins that I got from trading......LOL So maybe not what the OP is looking for.......lol

They had a "Santa Con" thing here last weekend with Santas, Elves, Reindeer, Snowmen, etc all over Manhattan. Anyway, a lot of the young women were dressed with sweaters (or tshirts) with garland wrapped around and small Christmas ornaments, bows, and candy canes pinned to the shirts. It looked really cute and very creative! Maybe you can use one of your hubby's old Ts and do that for each of you?

My DD28 bought a Santa suit and attended SantaCon with a group of friends! She said it was amazing and had a ball. They were passing out candycanes all over Manhattan. She saw one couple with Santa suits made out of blue IKEA bags!

My DH and I have been invited to an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. If you didn't already have one, would you go shopping for one or go to the party without one?

Maybe I am being a scrooge, but I am really thinking of me and DH going to the party without the sweaters. I don't feel like going to Goodwill or a Thrift Store to buy one (I barely have my own Christmas shopping done) and I do not own craft supplies to "jazz-up" a sweater I already have.

Not sure if it matters, but the same person who is throwing this party held an "'80s theme" party this past summer where I ended up spending $20 at Goodwill for an outfit as I didn't have anything that looked '80s.

Unless it's Halloween, I'm just not a big fan of dressing up!

I'm sure the host would like to have us there regardless, but would it seem "rude" to show up without the sweater? Not sure if this matters either, but it's also a "potluck" party where the guests have been reminded multiple times to bring a dish to pass.

Maybe you should find friends who don't do activities or this type of get-together. Just because you seem really annoyed at the idea of bringing things like food or dressing up. I would totally understand if money was an issue but that doesn't seem to be the case. You just don't like themed things or bringing anything other than yourself to a party. Just decline and do your own thing or like I said find new friends. Eventually they'll give up asking you to come to that type of thing.

Personally, I'd go buy a tacky sweater or make a really hideous one and have fun.

My suggestion is to email everyone you know and see who has an ugly sweater you can borrow! Last year we had to go to a similar party and I put out an email. I got several offers but I ended up wearing a hideous red vest with huge sequins all over it that dangled, and I wore huge earrings. The friends that loaned it to me said it had been in her daughter's dress up box, so you never know! Good luck!

I agree. I HATE dressing up for Halloween, so if I'm invited to a costume party I decline. To me, it would put a damper on their party if I showed up in street clothes. I feel the same way about really formal parties. I don't enjoy them, but I would simply decline rather than going dressed casually.

An invitation isn't a command performance, you don't have to go!

An ugly Christmas sweater is a party I could actually go to because I have one that I proudly wear once a year. I don't feel like it's "ugly" at all, but I certainly don't take it seriously enough to be offended if people think it's ugly. I would happily loan it to a friend if they needed it for a party.

This post really made me laugh. My husband and I actually stopped hanging out with a group of friends because of all the theme parties we had to atttend. There was poker, Halloween, rock star etc. It was just too much work and like you I did not want to spend the money or effort to keep up. I am an adult. I do not dress up.

Holy moly guacamole! Didn't think I'd need my flame suit on for this one. :)

If you read through all of my posts, you would see that I wrote that I am grateful for an invite to any party. I have no problem bringing a dish to pass. I always ask the host if I can bring something when I'm invited to a party whether it is a potluck or not. I just mentioned it because I might be a bit more inclined to to go to the thrift store and shell out the $30-40 for sweaters for me and my husband (looks like the going rate based on other posters) to "fit in" at this party if it were the ONLY thing I had to do to be welcome at the party.

I understand that people like to throw all types of parties. Theme parties that require guests to find/borrow/buy/create clothing they would not normally wear, other than the obligatory Halloween, are not my thing but I understand that many people get a kick out of it.

I plan on doctoring up a cardigan or blazer I already have with Christmas wapping paper and/or bows I already have.

Oh, and for the record, I do not know of anyone who has a Christmas Pin. I don't even think I've seen a Christmas pin except when I went to a craft fair once. Maybe it's a generational thing. I haven't seen many 20-somthings wearing any type of pin.

Good for you Elizabeth -

and truly - do you have Christmas decorations? Tinsel? Ribbons? just throw that around - really ANY of your ornaments can be tacked on for a tacky look!

or go to the Dollar store and see what they have in the way of Christmas decorations to adorn your sweaters!

Like I said, the party I had they had extras, and not everyone participated - its all good!

I went to a theme party last weekend where everyone was supposed to dress up in a certain way and bring "tacky" Christmas decorations. I was literally the only person, besides one of the hosts, who showed up dressed in costume or toting tacky Christmas decorations. Not only was it a bummer for the folks who planned the party, but it made me feel like an idiot for following instructions and going along with the theme.

Doctoring up your blazer sounds like a great idea! I hope you have an awesome time. :)

Found my solution!

I was at Costco this morning shopping for some last minute items and saw a box of 60 handmade gift tags. They are all heavily embellished (pom poms, strings of tiny lights, ribbons, googly eyes, etc.) and are on small fabric cords.

Here they are on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Made-Holiday-Gift-Tags/dp/B005HRL3CK

$8 at Costco and I'm going to safety pin them to my blazer and my husband's sweater. It will look ugly, stupid and tacky--just what the occasion calls for!

The best part is that when we get home I can un-pin them and still use the tags on gifts.

I was at the Dollar Tree today. They had mens xmas ties -- there was a black one with a string of xmas lights on it, and also bright blue ties with xmas trees. They also had a button to press where it played some xmas melody. For a buck, I figured it would be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter