UPDATED 01/14/20 - The FW DISMeet 2020-See Post #283 For Latest News and Updates

I'm in same boat, kinda. Hospital has mentioned making folks who are in direct care of patients quarantine x14 days if vacationing in Florida, but nothing official. MS is having their own spike, but not nearly at the FL level.

Recent cuts in hospital staff have left us even more short of staff, so they can't afford to have folks out sick.

I was also looking into additional schooling to open up some "backup plans" considering the way things are in healthcare. I was worried this might interfere with October as well but sounds like it won't, so this is good.

I'm not changing anything as of now, just will continue to watch.

My news is that I have retired as of last Friday from my employer after 32 years with the company.
Congratulations Ed. I wasn't 100% sure I was ready to retire when I did but It has allowed me to do many things I could not have done while working. I have been able to be there for my dad who has had numerous health issues since falling and breaking his hip. I have also since became a Papaw with my grandson living 1.5 hours away. I have been able to babysit as my daughter has gone back to work as a CVICU nurse and my SIL finishes his college work. My DW has also gone to part time status as a PT. I no longer have to ask anyone for permission or days off to do the things I need to and want to do. I have missed work since retiring. As many retirees might say, "I miss my students, staff and parents........not the work" As time goes by and I am able to be there for family and do some of the things I've always wanted to do, I realize that retirement is pretty good. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 515142

Well...

I'm going to try a stay at Lake Louisa SP one more time. For those not following along, this will be our 4th attempt. I have site 9 booked for the night before arrival to the Fort. The site looks long enough and a fairly easy back in.

The trip down looks like this:
  • Tuesday, Oct 6- Leave after work and drive the 250 miles to Clarksville RV Park. We use this cg often when travelling to the southeast. It's an easy 4 hours. We'll get in, by 9 or 10pm and get up early the next morning, 1/4 of the way to the Fort.
  • Wednesday, Oct 7- Leave Clarksville, TN early to get through ATL mid-day and drive the 720 miles to Lake Louisa SP. Google says 10.5 hours, but this will be about 12 with DW along.
  • Thursday, Oct 8- Arrive at the Fort sometime in the morning after the exhausting 30 minute drive over from LLSP.
The trip home on October 17th will be a straight shot home, all 1003 miles of it. Not an exciting day, but we usually get home by 9pm and have all day Sunday to unpack and recover before heading to work.

j

Last edited:
Well...

I'm going to try a stay at Lake Louisa SP one more time. For those not following along, this will be our 4th attempt. I have site 9 booked for the night before arrival to the Fort. The site looks long enough and a fairly easy back in.

The trip down looks like this:
  • Tuesday, Oct 6- Leave after work and drive the 250 miles to Clarksville RV Park. We use this cg often when travelling to the southeast. It's an easy 4 hours. We'll get in, by 9 or 10pm and get up early the next morning, 1/4 of the way to the Fort.
  • Wednesday, Oct 7- Leave Clarksville, TN early to get through ATL mid-day and drive the 720 miles to Lake Louisa SP. Google says 10.5 hours, but this will be about 12 with DW along.
  • Thursday, Oct 8- Arrive at the Fort sometime in the morning after the exhausting 30 minute drive over from LLSP.
The trip home on October 17th will be a straight shot home, all 1003 miles of it. Not an exciting day, but will usually get home by 9pm and have all day Sunday to unpack and recover before heading to work.

j

Jim,

I think George Washington said it best:

"The 4th attempt to stay at Lake Louisa SP will be a winner".

At least, that's what I've read on the Internet so it must be true. :rolleyes:

You have QUITE a bit of windshield time ahead of you.

I'm in #1 at LLSP the following night which is next to one of the two comfort stations. Your site #9 is on the end of the loop (outer circle) and looks plenty long enough. One piece of advice is that the check-in camper office posts hours as "closes at sunset" so if you're on the road that day you might call and ask what time the office will actually be open until (there is a gate code to enter if you arrive after hours).

Good luck to you! 30 minutes to the Fort is magical indeed!

Bama Ed

One piece of advice is that the check-in camper office posts hours as "closes at sunset" so if you're on the road that day you might call and ask what time the office will actually be open until (there is a gate code to enter if you arrive after hours).

Good luck to you! 30 minutes to the Fort is magical indeed!
Thanks for the reminder. For one of the attempts, 2018 I think, when the truck blew an intercooler pipe coming through Atlanta, I remember them saying to call if we would be late and they would give us the code.

I'll have to remember that this time.

We do have a lot of drive time, but that's what being 1000 miles away means. One of the reasons I like to stay as long as we can.

j

Got a new Disney, 1000 piece puzzle today for October. Not going to reveal it here - but the first morning I'm there stop by my site to place few pieces ..... :rolleyes1 once you place your first piece, you'll be hooked.

See ya'll there.

Bama Ed

PS - my 60 day ADR window opens Tuesday next week.........

Well...

I'm going to try a stay at Lake Louisa SP one more time.

j

Jim, I'm doing the happy dance tonight! :banana:

I'm staying at Lake Louisa for the October DISMeet stay but also have a Fort Wilderness stay booked for Feb 2021. DD graduates college in December.

For those that don't know, Florida state parks have an 11 month booking window and during the winter snowbird months, booking in central/south Florida can be cut-throat. For my Feb 2021 visit, that meant a pre-arrival stay for one night booking in March 2020. I missed the window by 3 days and was SHUT OUT of Lake Louisa (three hole dayz, ya'll). But I kept checking nearly every day and finally got in tonight.

I managed to grab my pre-arrival night this evening (a pull through no less) so again I will be 30 minutes from the Fort on the morning of arrival. That's a Saturday night stay at LLSP, a Sunday arrival at the Fort, and our first park day is on Tuesday. So no rush to set up. I'll request my favorite three sites in loop 100 (in order of preference), show up early at 630am to check in and wait if needed if I get one of the three or use the UN Negotiating Procedure on what sites are available.

This will be my 7th stay at Lake Louisa State Park (convenient for those of us coming down I75 to Orlando).

I started this process in 2015 IIRC because for me driving nearly 600 miles to the Fort, I always arrived late afternoon/early evening and got to pay over $100 for a campsite to set up and sleep in. That's expensive air! So I instead wanted to stay offsite and arrive early at the Fort in the morning and take our chances getting our site in late morning or early afternoon and enjoy more of a full day at WDW (we never do much our arrival day anyway). LLSP with site and fees is $30+ for the one night so I save over $70.

Plus I like posting early morning pix of the Fort when checking in before 7am and waiting for the sun to come up.

20180312_072843_zps9ocxh7ys.jpeg

So glad to get that taken care of.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I thought you were going to say you were arriving a day early in October and would join us at LLSP.

Congrats on the Winter resi. Those are gold!

j

Today was my 60 day window. Made a bunch of ADRs.

Nabbed 2 for California Grill. Friday, 10/9 and Wednesday, October 14th. I likely won't keep both, but we'll see. Donna and I will be having dinner at Morimoto Asia on our arrival day, 10/8. We've been to the bar, but never ate dinner. Ian and his friend will be flying in late on the 8th and won't get to the Fort until 10. We also have Le Cellier for lunch on our EPCOT day, 10/15. It's been a long time since we ate there. We usually hit Teppan Edo, but it isn't open. We also have Yak and Yeti at AK for lunch on Sunday the 11th. We've eaten at the QS outside, but never could get a last minute resi for the TS.

Ian wanted to do breakfast at Ohana to see Stitch again, but it isn't open either. I'll keep watching to see what may open before October, but that should be plenty of TS places. Given the early park closings, we may head to DS for dinners and try out more of the places there.

j

Last edited:
I know the Poly is supposed to open on the 4th. I'm hoping "Ohana opens then too. @Teamubr, Jim, did you try and get a res at "Ohana? I'm wondering if the restaurant will be taking reservations after the anticipated 4th date, or they are actually waiting until it's physically open to post it on the site. I'm still hoping for Trails End as well.

Jim, did you try and get a res at "Ohana?
Don,

I did. I tried putting in Monday October 12th for breakfast and Ohana didn't show up as an option. I just tried Lunch anywhere and Ohana didn't show. Interestingly, I selected Dinner for anywhere and it says "Sorry there aren't any reservations available for Dinner. Please try a different date." I pick Tuesday the 13th and Dinner shows up at a number of places. Unless ALL the restaurants are closed on Monday evenings, you gotta love Disney IT.

j

Good get there, Teamubr - got my list ready for tomorrow.

Do I have it right that ADRs open up at 7am Eastern (6am Central my time)?

Bama Ed

I booked a few reservations. All the ones i want the restaurant is not open. I have CA Grille for dinner (prefer brunch but since brunch is part buffet not open), morimoto asia, and Homecoming for brunch. I really wanted to Jaleo, but again not open.

@tigger92662 do you want to go to dinner one night since we are both coming in Sun Oct 4. Do you have a date or restaurant you prefer? I was thinking maybe Tuesday. I booked Morimoto Asia for Thursday Oct 8. and i see that is when @Teamubr is going. i think i booked sometime around 6ish. I know we are planning to work a few days each week just not sure which days. I am kind of thinking will work Tues and thursday the first week and then Tues and Wed the next week. I guess Bert and i can do some planning on our 11 hour drive on Saturday :).

I think DW and I are going to try to stay at the Fort of our anniversary in September, ya know just to scope things out for us lol. Will probably leave the camper at her parents house in Orlando so I don't have to haul it back. We also got our golf cart reserved today for the meet in October (which at the ~$470 price for the week I'm tempted to replace my golf cart batteries and just bring it down separate.)

Got some ADR's done this morning. Highlights are Chef Art Smith's Homecoming and Beaches & Cream (which will be before the Skyliner tour).

Ed

Good job Ed. I am considering Beaches and Cream as well. it has been a LONG time since we went there.

Got my ADR's done this morning. Chef Art Smith's (my favorite place on property), some breakfast action at Whispering Canyon, a dinner at California Grill, and Oga's Cantina for our HS day. Trying to keep my schedule mostly open so I don't miss any impromptu fun at the Fort. Thinking we may only do 2 possibly 3 park days. The Florida Resident tickets we can buy you can only visit a park every other day so it kinda works out to build in Fort days automatically. Seemed to be plenty of availability at anywhere you could want.

I've never done Beaches and Cream but it sounds awesome!

FYI, I had trouble making ADR's via the website. Got one done and then had to move over to the app to make the rest of them. So if the website doesn't work for you, try the app.

**Update** Also bought our park tickets today so I could go ahead and make the park reservations. I was going to hold out to see if they offered annual passes again before then but I didn't want to miss out on park reservations so I went ahead and bought the 4 day Florida Resident ones ($49/day) that are good through the end of the year. I figured if they do offer AP's again before then I'll be able to apply the amount paid for these towards AP's.

Last edited:
Huh...I was watching old chopped yesterday and saw Art Smith and thought...l know that name. It was from seeing it here. Yesterday.

Got my ADR's done this morning. Chef Art Smith's (my favorite place on property), some breakfast action at Whispering Canyon, a dinner at California Grill, and Oga's Cantina for our HS day. Trying to keep my schedule mostly open so I don't miss any impromptu fun at the Fort.

I had trouble too, Arc, making my ADR's.

Online and app weren't working. I could ask for times, get choices, then it would crap out so I had to call. Yeah I cleared the cache - yeah I tried three different web browsers. And the app crapped out too.

So I ended up calling and got my ADR's.

I think this DisMeet is going to be like a Nascar race on one of their short tracks - a lot of bumping and scraping to get across the finish line. But after trading paint, we'll all make it.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter