UPDATED 01/14/20 - The FW DISMeet 2020-See Post #283 For Latest News and Updates

Nice addition, Don. That bumper should work for the occasional turkey or tree that may get in the way.

j
Didn't think of the Turkeys and trees. Our concern was the rookie drivers (parkers) with rental carts.
As things get closer we should talk about your free days, if any when you get here.
Don

Jealous of everyone. May the force be with you on openings.

I may leave Tuesday night, after work and drive to Clarksville, TN. That is only 4 hours. There is a nice little campground with pull throughs for the over night crowd. I use it a lot when traveling to the SE.

What's the CG? That's about where I want to stop on a few trips.

Our concern was the rookie drivers (parkers) with rental carts.
I figured other carts were your primary concern. I don't think anything will be total protection from them. Where there's a will, there's someone trying to break it. :)
As things get closer we should talk about your free days, if any when you get here.
Right now, Thursday the 8th and Monday the 12th are "open" days, but DW is a little concerned about parks and people, so I don't know how long we would be spending in parks. We'll see how things are going in October. We are still coming to the DISmeet regardless, just not sure exactly how much park time we will do.

What's the CG? That's about where I want to stop on a few trips.
Clarksville RV Park

Exit 1 in TN on I-24. Right at the KY/TN border. I've been using this as a quick stop for 20 years. I often leave after work and this is a quick 4 hours from home, but places me better to get through major metropolitan areas at a better time.

j

Last edited:
I'm gonna post this here in the DISMeet thread and also will cross-post it on the Chit Chat thread.

My news is that I have retired as of last Friday from my employer after 32 years with the company. I got a nice announcement, should get to select a retirement gift and have a small dinner celebration. The timing was not of my choosing but don't cry for me - I will have retiree insurance, don't have to work, and am still planning to come to the October DISMeet (why I am posting this info here). So be excited for me as I am (DW is sorta/kinda.... :confused3 ).

My decorations budget for my campsite will take a short term hit so I won't be decked out to the gills in our loop in October but will make the best with what I have.

I've already booked my anchor reservation for a trip out west (out past Texas that is) next summer so I will be hitting the road with the Aliner without regard to fitting into vacations days away from work. I'd also like to just "show up unannounced" at regional DISmeets that are springing up.

Cuz ya never know..... :scratchin

Have a drink on me! :drinking1

5 Bear Rug (2).jpg

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Congrats Ed!

Although I suspect this retirement may be short lived. Enjoy the time off and plan lots of travels before you decide to seek out something new.

j

I'm gonna post this here in the DISMeet thread and also will cross-post it on the Chit Chat thread.

My news is that I have retired as of last Friday from my employer after 32 years with the company. I got a nice announcement, should get to select a retirement gift and have a small dinner celebration. The timing was not of my choosing but don't cry for me - I will have retiree insurance, don't have to work, and am still planning to come to the October DISMeet (why I am posting this info here). So be excited for me as I am (DW is sorta/kinda.... :confused3 ).

My decorations budget for my campsite will take a short term hit so I won't be decked out to the gills in our loop in October but will make the best with what I have.

I've already booked my anchor reservation for a trip out west (out past Texas that is) next summer so I will be hitting the road with the Aliner without regard to fitting into vacations days away from work. I'd also like to just "show up unannounced" at regional DISmeets that are springing up.

Cuz ya never know..... :scratchin

Have a drink on me! :drinking1

View attachment 514526

Bama Ed

Congratulations!! I know a lot of “earlier than planned” retirements are taking place right now (see tons of them at my company), but I hope you enjoy it and will have many other adventures and such to occupy all that “free” time... enjoy 🙂

As I told you previously, I have been worried about my friends regarding jobs. Even myself, having already seen DW have hours cut and in my ED doctors have been cut and workload thus increased. I have put some serious thought into furthering my training to open some potential options just in case.

However, this could interfere with the October Dismeet as i found out today based on the training schedule. They are looking into it and will get back with me.

Ed, stay busy. Who knows, maybe you land a job at Bryant Denny as halftime entertainment assistant. I mean, you performed well on TV.
giphy-3.gif

I'll be in touch. Maybe we can put together some local camping.

Distanced of course...

Ed,
After teaching for 35 years, I retired back in 2017. My first year off was great. My husband (who had already retired) and I did tons of traveling, spent time with family, and ended up having a few unexpected operations. Totally busy. Then, the fall of 2018 came and I was feeling a bit unoccupied, so I had my name placed on the substitute list for the local school district, that I had taught in, and a neighboring school district. This was a fantastic balance for me. Taught a few days a week and had off to do my own thing the other days. With COVID, will probably officially retire, but who knows? My point, retirement, no matter if you think you have it planned or if it taps you on the shoulder, takes time to adjust to. And, camping, most definitely, helped. Best wishes.

My point, retirement, no matter if you think you have it planned or if it taps you on the shoulder, takes time to adjust to. And, camping, most definitely, helped. Best wishes.

Thanks spud. Getting on the sub-list was a great option because you could choose to work when you wanted to (and also NOT when you wanted to). I think it will take a few months to get the feel for what I am calling "the rhythm of retirement" and see where it goes from there.

Good advice! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

PS - my dad (who lives in the same town as me and has been retired for over 20 years now) is excited because he thinks he can talk me into joining his landscaping crew at church (I'd be the "young" guy) and then win my lunch money on the golf course weekly with his cronies. But I dunno.... :sad2:

Ed,

Churches, churches, churches. Members of churches salivate whenever a member retires (my volunteer church duties tripled when I retired). Admit defeat and join the landscaping crew.

Thanks spud. Getting on the sub-list was a great option because you could choose to work when you wanted to (and also NOT when you wanted to). I think it will take a few months to get the feel for what I am calling "the rhythm of retirement" and see where it goes from there.

Good advice! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

PS - my dad (who lives in the same town as me and has been retired for over 20 years now) is excited because he thinks he can talk me into joining his landscaping crew at church (I'd be the "young" guy) and then win my lunch money on the golf course weekly with his cronies. But I dunno.... :sad2:

You can volunteer at campgrounds!

Well @bama_ed , I'm planning on taking the camper to TN to "work remote" in a few weeks, you're welcome to join since you're schedule has freed up. Hate to hear it wasn't on your timeline but all of us that know you know you won't let this get you down or stop you one bit!

Well @bama_ed , I'm planning on taking the camper to TN to "work remote" in a few weeks, you're welcome to join since you're schedule has freed up. Hate to hear it wasn't on your timeline but all of us that know you know you won't let this get you down or stop you one bit!

Do it, Arc. Set up your laptop outside and take your conference calls in the beauty of the all outdoors.

That is one regret that I have, though. I never pulled a full "garneska" (named in honor of our poster by the same name) who both she and DH would "work from home" while they were parked in loop 700 at the Fort (or somewhere on property). They might have done it at Gulf SP too for all I know.

I can only imagine camping in loop 100 at the Fort as I am want to do, go for an early morning walk maybe over to WL, out to the TTC, on the sidewalk to Contemporary, over to the MK gate, back to the Contemp boat dock for the ride back to the Fort dock.....

.... and then log into the corporate VPN and attempt to focus on the issues of the day on my first conference call.

Or pull a full garneska and set my Instant Messenger status to "Out to Lunch" and head over for the Buffalo Burger at Geyser Springs/WL (I might get back 15 minutes late :rolleyes1).

In fact I had scheduled my vacation for the October DISMeet for some "work-from-the-front-of-the-Aliner" half days to save some vacation time (and still make my lunch ADR's on property which were the priority, of course :rolleyes: ).

But I'll never COMPLETELY know what it felt like, now. Oh well.

So let me live through you and tell me how it goes.

Ed

Congratulations Ed ! Although you look far too young to retire!

Thanks, Boomer1! DW says I fool people because I still have hair on top of my head and its not (all) gray (yet).

Hope you and Tom are having a good summer up where you are.

Bama Ed

@Bishoparc and @bama_ed yes the ability to ”work from home” is great. It really is awesome to setup the office outside and drink coffee and take calls. I even have an office assistant who screens my visitors. i see WFH being around a while so hopefully we will be out in north GA again for a few weeks.

Thanks, Boomer1! DW says I fool people because I still have hair on top of my head and its not (all) gray (yet).

Hope you and Tom are having a good summer up where you are.

Bama Ed
We are having a great summer up here. Temperatures in the low to mid 80s with high humidity. Great weather for growing berries and selling ice cream. Most businesses are up and running here in New Brunswick with some restrictions.

Congrats Ed, DW and I are a lot closer to retirement, already applied for SS. Been doing what I do for a little over 40 years, we have our own business now, bought 10 years ago from my inlaws that I worked for. Hopefully we can meet up sometime at WDW after all this Covid stuff is done! Again, Congrats!!!

Well Folks, unless the Florida peeps get their act together and get rid of this hot spot covid, we will not be down. Got official word from work today that I would have to take two weeks off after vacation before I could come back. DW has no problem as she is working from home and could pull it off, me not so much. And two weeks without pay, is not good. So we will hold in a little longer and see how this is going, but looking like for now we may have to unfortunately back out. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter