Visual Inspection

Haven't encountered one YET. We have stayed 3x in the last year, but honestly it has changed the way we spend our day. I really wanted to go back to our hotel after a busy, hot morning for a nap. The idea that this could happen totally turned me off. So I just snoozed in the AC lobby of Hall of Presidents instead 😁🤤

We were at POFQ last year and I went to the parks while hubby stayed in bed, with a horrible cold. I am an AP and love Disney....he is not an AP holder and really doesn't dig the parks. We were in the area for a concert in Orlando so we decided to spend a few nights at WDW. Well, I totally forgot to tell hubby about the room security check and boy oh boy was he pissed, but too sick to do much but just lay there embarrassed. By the way, this was the time that the marathon was going on and we were NEVER informed about all of the fireworks that started at 5:30 am.>:(:hyper2:

That seems a bit odd since I know last year they left phone messages dealing with the marathon for that exact reason. And I've stayed at POFQ every year for that weekend since I started doing it on a yearly basis in 2015. Did they not leave a phone message?

Sucks about hubby being sick though.

I’m fine with it, people are crazy. Any added layer of security in a place like Disney I will usually always be okay with.

Oh, I'd be fine with it too, if it was an actual security check that actually checked anything. It isn't. The CM just walks in, looks around, and leaves. Sometimes they don't even come in the room. What does that accomplish? They don't check the drawers, the closets, under the bed, in the tub in the bathroom - they don't check anywhere a shooter might have guns stashed. It's as if they're actively trying to NOT find anything.

If anybody ever comes to Disney intending to do harm, these checks will not prevent that. Guns hidden in drawers, closets, bedclothes, wadded up in towels in the bathroom, will not be found. So the ONLY thing it's good for, is to cover Disney's butt if anything ever happens. "We did everything we could. We had room checks."

The security checks were started in response to the Las Vegas shootings. Unfortunately, in today's world - accept it as another layer of safety that Disney has in place. Disney has the right to "security check" any room at any time.

Disney has not stated why they started the visits. Just that they are visiting the rooms daily.

We have had daily visits during each of our 6-7 visits to DVC units since they started. Sometimes we are in the room, sometimes not but you know they have been there since some or all of the trash receptacles are emptied.

On our trip in November 2018 I rented points at BWV for my Trip with DD12. I was worried about leaving her in the room alone due to these checks. But we never received any room checks while we were in our rooms. Two to three times housekeeping knocked to see if we needed towels or trash taken out which I didn’t expect until day 4 since we were staying on points. I thought the lady just liked us since she would stop and chat with me about my DD and how she had a DD the same age and how she thought it was so nice to be doing mother daughter stuff. Now I’m thinking maybe it was kind of like a room check??

We passed on housekeeping all 9 days at AKL last week ( with no gift card- but always still do). The first day a lady knocked to do the inspection. We were told to leave our in room sign out all week. She was nice and we chatted with her for a few minutes. She said she saw the note on our reservation that we didn’t want housekeeping and told us they had to do an inspection every day. We told her we knew, and she asked if there was a good time to come every day that was more convenient. I was making coffee and raving about the keurigs in the new rooms. She laughed and left- didn’t really look at anything. She returned a few minutes later with a handful of k-cups. We laughed and thanked her. The next day, and other random days we noticed while we were gone that she was there, because there were a handful of k-cups left on the counter. We were always gone because I told them the morning would be better.

On our trip in November 2018 I rented points at BWV for my Trip with DD12. I was worried about leaving her in the room alone due to these checks. But we never received any room checks while we were in our rooms. Two to three times housekeeping knocked to see if we needed towels or trash taken out which I didn’t expect until day 4 since we were staying on points. I thought the lady just liked us since she would stop and chat with me about my DD and how she had a DD the same age and how she thought it was so nice to be doing mother daughter stuff. Now I’m thinking maybe it was kind of like a room check??
Yes, when we stay in DVC with our points, the daily “trash removal” is a security check. I think they just want to peek in every room every day now after the Vegas thing.

Yes, when we stay in DVC with our points, the daily “trash removal” is a security check. I think they just want to peek in every room every day now after the Vegas thing.

Well look at me thinking she was doing us a favor because we were special. :lmao::rotfl:

It was my first time renting points and we will be renting for next trip so good to know!

Disney has never once stated that the room checks were started in response to the Vegas shootings. And given the way the checks have played out, I doubt very much if that was the case. I don't think they're looking for weapons.

My personal theory (and I have ZERO insider knowledge on this) is that they're looking for trafficking or trying to discourage it. I've seen billboards in the non-touristy parts of Central FL about being vigilant to spot trafficking, so it's pretty clear that it's been an issue there.

Oh, I'd be fine with it too, if it was an actual security check that actually checked anything. It isn't. The CM just walks in, looks around, and leaves. Sometimes they don't even come in the room. What does that accomplish? They don't check the drawers, the closets, under the bed, in the tub in the bathroom - they don't check anywhere a shooter might have guns stashed. It's as if they're actively trying to NOT find anything.

If anybody ever comes to Disney intending to do harm, these checks will not prevent that. Guns hidden in drawers, closets, bedclothes, wadded up in towels in the bathroom, will not be found. So the ONLY thing it's good for, is to cover Disney's butt if anything ever happens. "We did everything we could. We had room checks."

Well if there’s a stockpile of ARs in the room it’s plenty. I’ll stick with the extra security. And even if they haven’t said it its clearly in response to Vegas based on the timing of when they introduced it.

Disney has never once stated that the room checks were started in response to the Vegas shootings. And given the way the checks have played out, I doubt very much if that was the case. I don't think they're looking for weapons.

My personal theory (and I have ZERO insider knowledge on this) is that they're looking for trafficking or trying to discourage it. I've seen billboards in the non-touristy parts of Central FL about being vigilant to spot trafficking, so it's pretty clear that it's been an issue there.
I suspect it's a combination of reasons: security, trafficking, and an insurance requirement probably for a lower rate. I think the people who do the security checks have taken training classes in what to look for and are probably a tad more aware than the average guest thinks.

We were in our room at the Beach Club yesterday after returning from the park in the heat of the day and wife wasn’t feeling to well. Knock on the door and they wanted to come in and “make sure everything was working okay”. We explained that my wife was resting and requested they come back another time. Minutes later we received a phone call on the room phone then again an hour or so later on my cell. Whatever the reason it feels intrusive and creepy while on vacation, especially when they are insistent/pushy about it. We are checking into Vero tomorrow and I plan on requesting no visits of this nature.

We were in our room at the Beach Club yesterday after returning from the park in the heat of the day and wife wasn’t feeling to well. Knock on the door and they wanted to come in and “make sure everything was working okay”. We explained that my wife was resting and requested they come back another time. Minutes later we received a phone call on the room phone then again an hour or so later on my cell. Whatever the reason it feels intrusive and creepy while on vacation, especially when they are insistent/pushy about it. We are checking into Vero tomorrow and I plan on requesting no visits of this nature.
Did you allow them in after the phone calls? If so, how long were they inspecting?

Did you allow them in after the phone calls? If so, how long were they inspecting?
We are still trying to sync up and we check out tomorrow.
If you would have just let them in they would have spent less than 10 seconds in the room and you wouldn’t have been bothered any longer. Just let them do there job and they will be on there way.
Well when my wife was getting sick in the bathroom it just didn’t seem like the right time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter