VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Greg...thanks for stopping by to let us know what is going on with you in your life. We went through the college graduations and now into retirement, but are hanging on to our DVC for our grandson and any other potential grandchildren.

I'll "third" what Bobbi and Jimmy have said...you shouldn't have a problem changing the guest names on your reservation. Just have MS delete yours and add your renter's name.

Good luck to you as you move forward in the next phase of your life. Be well!

Hello to everyone and all the VWL Groupies. It has been a long while since I have stopped by to chat, and I trust you all are doing well. I do think of you from time to time. We ventured into the World late July (18th?) just after they opened the parks. We had no park tickets, FP(s) (nobody did), and no dining ressie. It was surreal to say the least. We had to wait over an hour past check-in time, maybe 5:30 p.m. and still and no room assigned. I walked back to the lodge lobby to inquire. Anyway, a little pixie dusting and we were in a two bedroom villa. And that is when I thought of my friends here and how they had stories of fabulous upgrades. It was very nice looking into the pool area and out onto bay lake.

So the reason I am here is to get a little advice. We are closing a chapter in life. My daughter is now a senior at the university and looking to start a career very soon. My wife is three years from early retirement. The school system is looking to slash salary and overhead. She signed the contract and in 2023 it is finished. I have furloughed myself at our company (Rona ain't grand?), and am letting my employees keep working. We have closed all of our contracts. Five-hundred-twenty points gone down to zero. The princess trips are a fond memory and we decided it was time to choose a new path. I am a little sad to be honest. We have purchased a second home in Aiken, SC and close the deal on 10/07 in a few weeks.

We have one last trip scheduled for Christmas. A studio checking in on 12/24 and leaving on new years day 01/01. Two of our contracts are pending as they cannot transfer the points to the new owners until this trip is over. The ROFR and and all is finished, just waiting for the points to get used. My wife would like to go to the new house over Christmas instead of WDW. MY question is will DVC allow me to change the reservation to another name? For example, can I call them and say please put "Sleepydog" on reservation, and then "rent" the points to Patrick on the side and not affect anything else in the system. Is that allowed? I don't know where or how I will find someone who is interested in the trip who is willing and able. That is another problem. I suspect the mouse will not allow it and make me cancel and then sell or surrender the points. I cannot really do that and not affect the pending sale of the contract passed ROFR.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this situation. You guys and gals are the wisest, friendliest and the most knowledge folks I know around these parts. I trust your judgment and opinions. Thanks very much and I wish you all the best. We had a nice run at the lodge, more than fourteen years. I wish it did not have to end, but we will still make trips there. Driving down from Aiken is only a day trip. I just wish they hadn't closed the Artist Point and cut all the trees down.........

greg

Of course you can rent out the reservation and change the names on the reservation. That's a definite. Here's my tip when doing so - don't tell MS you've rented the reservation. It's 100% allowed per the POS but every now and then some MS CM's pop up that don't think it's allowed. If you happen to be talking to one of them - well, it's easier to simply state you need to change the names and don't go into the why. I'd say 98% of the CM's do know it's allowed but just make it easy on yourself if you're talking to one that doesn't.

Here's my tip when doing so - don't tell MS you've rented the reservation. It's 100% allowed per the POS but every now and then some MS CM's pop up that don't think it's allowed. If you happen to be talking to one of them - well, it's easier to simply state you need to change the names and don't go into the why. I'd say 98% of the CM's do know it's allowed but just make it easy on yourself if you're talking to one that doesn't.

I'll second Kat's tip...when renting it's just easier to go with the "don't ask, don't tell" routine with MS. :)

Thank you all. As I knew, the gracious Groupies are well versed in knowledge on DVC policy. I took your input and went ahead and posted on a couple Facebook pages, and I’m getting likes. So we will see. This would our first non Villas at WL Christmas in six or seven years. Thanks for the kind wishes and greetings. Please know the feelings are mutual. When I first joined DVC it was this thread I went to for knowledge, tips and inside info on how to maximize the magic at the beloved lodge. We do love staying there. God bless and keep you all safe. I will be by now and again. Thanks again for the friendship.
greg

Thank you all. As I knew, the gracious Groupies are well versed in knowledge on DVC policy. I took your input and went ahead and posted on a couple Facebook pages, and I’m getting likes. So we will see. This would our first non Villas at WL Christmas in six or seven years. Thanks for the kind wishes and greetings. Please know the feelings are mutual. When I first joined DVC it was this thread I went to for knowledge, tips and inside info on how to maximize the magic at the beloved lodge. We do love staying there. God bless and keep you all safe. I will be by now and again. Thanks again for the friendship.
greg
Greg, life in general changes for us all, but remember, we are a constant here. We will always be here for you. So dont be a stranger. Visit often. And thank you in return for your friendship and kinship. Remember our slogan, Once A Groupie, Always A Groupie :goodvibes

The
Greg, life in general changes for us all, but remember, we are a constant here. We will always be here for you. So dont be a stranger. Visit often. And thank you in return for your friendship and kinship. Remember our slogan, Once A Groupie, Always A Groupie :goodvibes
It's very comforting to have a constant like this place, especially during such an unsettled time. No matter how long I stay away, I love knowing that this core group of lodge lovers is always here and ready to help and advise. It's like having a bit of the lodge to come home to.

Well hello groupies,
It’s been quite a while since I have posted over here and saw this forum had been updated. I have read a few of the posts and recognize a few from long ago. Howdy JT😀😀.
We have a trip VWL at Christmas that we planned in February, so we are still going if everything stays open.
Glad to see the groupies are still going strong 👍👍

Well hello groupies,
It’s been quite a while since I have posted over here and saw this forum had been updated. I have read a few of the posts and recognize a few from long ago. Howdy JT😀😀.
We have a trip VWL at Christmas that we planned in February, so we are still going if everything stays open.
We’ll be VWL December 5-10, do we overlap?

Nope, wish we did. But we will be there December 26 - January 2. We had planned based on some guests wanting to go at that time and are now not going. We have invited our next door neighbors to go with us instead. I really like the first two weeks of December the best but haven’t been able to due to school for the daughter. But this trip we could have since she has started college this year

I still have my VWL Christmas tree that we put up at home up until last year. With all the lodge themed ornaments. Tree picture fro 2018 Christmas trip

Attachments

• 3B0A3128-B5F0-4B64-A3D9-3C137E53CBCA.jpeg
    3B0A3128-B5F0-4B64-A3D9-3C137E53CBCA.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
Well hello groupies,
Hey Jim!!
Jim, your family and ours go way back. We were at the Lodge on at least 2 occasions that I remember in those early years of ownership in early Dec. Your daughter and our kids were very young back then. Wow, seems like eons ago!! Jim, I remember you guys having the one and only studio that didn't have a balcony and all of us scratching our heads on why that was so. That balcony comes up in conversation every once in awhile here.

Its so great to see you back here on the groupies!! Please dont be a stranger. Remember, once a groupie, always a groupie:grouphug:

I still have my VWL Christmas tree that we put up at home up until last year. With all the lodge themed ornaments. Tree picture fro 2018 Christmas trip

Hi Jim! Great to "see" you dropping in to check on us! :)

Here's a picture of your tree from our 2006 trip...

VWL Christmas tree in room.jpg

It was so kind of you to allow us to share your tree. In our case, our stay included Christmas Day so having the tree to put presents under was a wonderful addition to our trip. We are still thankful for your generosity!

Hi Groupies!

Another long lost member popping back in to say "Hi"! It is good to see some of the "old names" still around - and nice to see how many new ones have joined since I last visited in 2018. We hope everyone is doing well, staying safe, and managing well through these very weird, upside down times. It is good to come back to a place that is comfortable, changed yet unchanged - like a new pair of slippers but a brand you've worn for years. I will go on the quest of trying to catch up by finding my last post and go forward to see all the happenings. I must admit that I have missed the thread, but like everything else, life sometimes gets in the way.

Be well - and Disney on!

Leslie

It was so kind of you to allow us to share your tree. In our case, our stay included Christmas Day so having the tree to put presents under was a wonderful addition to our trip. We are still thankful for your generosity!

Granny,
Great to see you here as well. I so glad you and your family enjoyed the tree 🌲. I really miss those trips back then and getting the tree ready to share with other families at VWL. Our family really enjoyed reading the replies from the families that enjoyed the tree once the tree returned home to us. I always tried to make it something special for those that shared the tree and that they would always remember. I really miss meeting groupies and tree sharing families on our trips back then.

Jim

Hi jimmytammy,
It really has been a long time since back then.
I hope you and your family are doing well and staying safe. I miss those trips back then and meeting you and other families at the lodge.

I still have my dvc picture with the really nice frame you made hanging on the wall of the staircase. I still think of y’all when I pass by to go upstairs.

Jim

Hi Groupies!

Another long lost member popping back in to say "Hi"! It is good to see some of the "old names" still around - and nice to see how many new ones have joined since I last visited in 2018. We hope everyone is doing well, staying safe, and managing well through these very weird, upside down times. It is good to come back to a place that is comfortable, changed yet unchanged - like a new pair of slippers but a brand you've worn for years. I will go on the quest of trying to catch up by finding my last post and go forward to see all the happenings. I must admit that I have missed the thread, but like everything else, life sometimes gets in the way.

Another prodigal Groupie returns for a visit! :cool1:

Leslie...excellent to see you again, and we hope that all is going well in your life. We totally understand the "life gets in the way" part of it, but we're happy that you know that you can always come back, pull up a rocking chair and hang out with us on the virtual VWL porch for a while.

It's great to see you and Jim again...always nice to have visitors during this pandemic! :)

Nope, wish we did. But we will be there December 26 - January 2. We had planned based on some guests wanting to go at that time and are now not going. We have invited our next door neighbors to go with us instead. I really like the first two weeks of December the best but haven’t been able to due to school for the daughter. But this trip we could have since she has started college this year
Shucks, I just cancelled December 28-January 2. I decided one trip in December was enough. Usually we are there for NYE. It was a tough decision to cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter