VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hello! I was wondering why Boulder Ridge has availability every night in a 1-bdr in September and October? I tried to figure out if there was something major being done that is keeping people away but couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance!

Nothing special going on - just that for the same # of points or less you can get BC or BWV or BLT - and they’re walkable to parks - versus taking a boat - that’s what I ended up doing - got STD view 1Br at Boardwalk and BLT. - staying 6 nights for 151 points - but if I wasn’t points broke right now - I’d switch to WLV:BRV in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
We did look at BWV first because of location. They don't have all nights available in a boardwalk view, so I kept looking. As soon as I mentioned VWL to DH, he said absolutely. We know it's less convenient but I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the advice.

Hello! I was wondering why Boulder Ridge has availability every night in a 1-bdr in September and October? I tried to figure out if there was something major being done that is keeping people away but couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance!

Ayme...welcome to the VWL Groupies thread! :)

1BRs are always the last category to be completely booked, so that's part of the reason. I'd say the bigger part is that with the current pandemic people are not comfortable with flying and then going to theme parks. My guess is that DVC occupancy is running at historically low levels this year, with MANY people banking points into next year. Getting a resort reservation next year (assuming the COVID thing is under control) is going to be much, much harder even at the 11 month mark.

^ I’m afraid you are right, Granny, but that would hopefully mean we have fewer things to be keeping us home.

We have done split stays on numerous occasions. Most of them came about after already booking DVC and deciding to tack on nights a bit closer to the trip, if timing will allow it. We have stayed at All Star Sports a few times, Pop once, POR and CS a couple times. If points are available, we have added a few nights at SSR too. We do prefer staying in one place for an entire trip, getting settled in. But we will make the sacrifice, if we must, to get in a few extra nights :teeth:
I admit I often do the first night if we are arriving late (after 10pm) at a Value resort, especially when we're planning to hit the parks the next morning. It always feels like a waste of money / now points for that first night! This also gives a chance to try out someplace else.

Admittedly, though, we've always enjoyed split stays. In the past, it was often to let us try a few nights at a Deluxe/Villa at the end of the trip, especially when money was tight. And we did have a goal of staying at every resort in Disney, so split stays helped towards that. But as we've gotten older, we enjoy settling in, so we usually want at least 3-4 nights before moving, or if doing a week, just do the first night or two at one place, and the remainder settle in.

Welcome to the groupies ayme!!

If you choose to stay at VWL I don’t think you will regret it. Biggest downside for me is not being instantly accessible to MK like a walk from BLT affords, or walk to Epcot/HS from BWV or BCV. But for me personally I gain so much more from the peace and serenity that WL/VWL grants me. Too me, that’s a win win after a day or few hours at the parks

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! I'm glad to hear nothing major is affecting VWL right now. I think I'm excited because 5 nights in a 1-bdr at BRV is about the same as 5 nights in an OV studio at Aulani, so it doesn't feel like that many points. I was expecting to have to book in whatever resort was left available, but we have several options I'm happy with.

Ayme...welcome to the VWL Groupies thread! :)

1BRs are always the last category to be completely booked, so that's part of the reason. I'd say the bigger part is that with the current pandemic people are not comfortable with flying and then going to theme parks. My guess is that DVC occupancy is running at historically low levels this year, with MANY people banking points into next year. Getting a resort reservation next year (assuming the COVID thing is under control) is going to be much, much harder even at the 11 month mark.

ITA!!

Anybody know if both pools are open or is it just the quiet pool?

Does any experts here know what they use this area for? It’s by the walkway from the main lodge towards to buses and VWL.

A0650A96-E1CC-4B6B-AA52-EA0FB671482E.jpeg

Does any experts here know what they use this area for? It’s by the walkway from the main lodge towards to buses and VWL.

View attachment 524236
That used to be part of the Cubs' Den area where you could drop off your kids if you wanted a few hours of adult time, say heading over to Artist Point (when it used to be a Signature restaurant) for dinner. Now, it looks like potentially a CM break area. Perhaps others could illuminate more.

Just switched my Oct split stay from BWV/BLT STD 1Br to BC/WLV 1Br...We usually don’t do split stays but figured it would be better this time due to transportation - prefer to walk to the parks than bus or drive...even though it’s more points - prefer SAB to Creepy Clown pool and just can’t pass up a chance to stay at The Lodge - I kept our breakfast ressies at The Wave on our MK days so we can still park and walk from there. All our WLV stays have been in Dec so we’re really looking forward to spending time at the pools!!

That used to be part of the Cubs' Den area where you could drop off your kids if you wanted a few hours of adult time, say heading over to Artist Point (when it used to be a Signature restaurant) for dinner. Now, it looks like potentially a CM break area. Perhaps others could illuminate more.
Thanks! We were just curious when we saw it from our balcony this morning.

We LOVE VWL - It's our home resort. We have stayed at many of the fantastic DVC properties. We have enjoyed the convenience of walking to EPCOT from BCV & BWV. We also love how easy it is to get to MK from BLT. However, with parkhopping not allowed at the moment, walking to one park, one day (not even evening), the convenience of walking from the resort is really not a consideration during this trip. In saying that, staying anywhere on property is always way better than staying home and having to go to work...hahahaha!!! Have fun!!

Well - I did it - bought more VWL points today...I sold a small VGF contract (kept 2 contracts) and a small OKW (kept 2 as well) last month so I could justify more VWL - now I have enough for 1Br for a week every year instead of twice every 3 years!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter