VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Well - I did it - bought more VWL points today...I sold a small VGF contract (kept 2 contracts) and a small OKW (kept 2 as well) last month so I could justify more VWL - now I have enough for 1Br for a week every year instead of twice every 3 years!!!
I should say WE but in truth - I do the buying and Jerry does the eye-rolling 😃

Morning, Groupies!

No posts for over 30 hours--that may be a record. In Disney news, it hit us yesterday that we'll need to bank our points by the end of this month, something we haven't had to do in past years as we're always borrowing. Now, we don't have a lot of points to bank, but that we have any at all is something unusual for us.

In non-Disney news, the day is quickly approaching that we leave the mountains of southwest Virginia for the marshes of southwest South Carolina. We should close with our buyers and our sellers either late this week or first thing next. Either way, come this time next week, we should be in HHI with all our belongings and critters--three of whom have never known any home but our current one. I leave with bittersweet feelings after having lived in this area for 18+ years which is the longest I've ever lived anywhere in my life. Yet, adventure awaits. And to finish this brief post, here's a shot of one of our favorite activities there--strolling the beach at sunrise with Starbucks lattes in hand.

Patrick...I'm sure that your impending move is both exciting yet a little unsettling. It seems to be a case of another road being chosen at a fork in the road of life. I'm sure that you and Luv will be very happy with your new home. And also happy with your decision to take a road previously not taken. Miles to go before you sleep, and I'm sure you will enjoy your new life at Hilton Head Island. Thanks for posting the picture! :)

Sleepy, I am so excited for you and Luv, how wonderful - I cannot wait to hear all about your new adventures! Dana and I have been taking day trips all along the New England coast this summer to see if we can find where our next home will be. We really want to be close to the water, the photo you posted is fab!

We had to bank points this year as well, not used to doing that! I think we have the most points we’ve ever had at one time other than the initial purchase.

Sleepy,
Good luck with the move and all the closings. I hope it is all painless.
I usually have to bank a few points, my new thing this year is that I have some banked points that will expire if not used by the end of February. That is a first for me.

Sleepy,
Good luck with the move and all the closings. I hope it is all painless.
I had to chuckle at bolded part of your post. Our buyers originally asked for a closing of 28 Aug, but our lender preferred 45 days which worked out to 10 Sep. We went with that. Meanwhile, our sellers kept dragging their feet about getting inspections, getting paperwork back, responding to the inspection, and making repairs as needed by what the inspections found (in order for our lender to be satisfied). Still, we clung to the closing date. Then, last week, our buyers started making noise it might not be the 10th. . .more like the 14th. Not ideal but doable. Meanwhile, our sellers--the procrastinators who slowed us at every turn and who still hadn't guaranteed they'd fix items off the inspection list in time to be re-inspected--remained silent. So, when we posited Monday that it was looking like the 14th to our agent in HHI, they responded, "but we'll be ready for the 10th!" (Ed. note: they weren't.) Today, we signed paperwork with the legal office in our area handling the buyers' end of the sale and came to find out the buyers settled on the 17th. . .without bothering to tell us prior to the meeting. Of course, we had no choice but to go with that date and then inform our sellers. Great googley-moogley!

The between-the-lines issues are stressors, too: scheduling-rescheduling-re-rescheduling movers, internet providers, rental agencies, legal office appointments, walk-throughs, inspections, and more; being packed for a week now and no place to go for another week with COVID as our silent stalker keeping us from going too many places; the worry over puzzle pieces falling into place. . .and we've both quit our jobs so no relief there. In terms of world problems, all of this ranks in the low billions, and we know that. Still, they are things about which we ponder and pore over daily. In the end, we know we'll be down there SOMETIME in the next week. . .or two. . . pirate:

Ahhhh yes, the “painless” close. Non-existant! Somehow it all comes together, right?!!

I sold real estate for 10 years, I may have had one painless close! of course it is understandable why tensions run high. I am still excited for you Sleepy!

Ahhhh yes, the “painless” close. Non-existant! Somehow it all comes together, right?!!

I sold real estate for 10 years, I may have had one painless close! of course it is understandable why tensions run high. I am still excited for you Sleepy!
We're excited, too. . .weary, but excited! I'm sure you could tell some tales, and we appreciate what our agents have done and are doing for us--it can't be easy on them at all. I mentioned to Luv that there is no way I could be a realtor. We'll get there, and everyone is invited for a Groupie Meet once COVID is vanquished. :drinking1

We're excited, too. . .weary, but excited! I'm sure you could tell some tales, and we appreciate what our agents have done and are doing for us--it can't be easy on them at all. I mentioned to Luv that there is no way I could be a realtor. We'll get there, and everyone is invited for a Groupie Meet once COVID is vanquished. :drinking1
Yippee! Cannot wait for a Groupie meet @ Sleepy & Luv’s!:grouphug:

Groupie meet at Sleepy and Luvs, count us in!!

We too had to bank points, maybe 67 in all. Very unusual for us to have any leftover, usually borrowing :teeth: . We are talking using those for HHI along with more points if a WDW early spring doesn't pan out.

Sleepy, Moose Dust and well wishes for a smooth move to happen. I will miss knowing you folks are right around the corner for a quick mini groupie meet, but alas, sounds like you are going to have all the groupies over at your new place soon, so I can look forward to that. We will be kind and give you a couple weeks to get settled in. Lets see, Im guessing there are around 250-300 groupies in all the various forms over the years that we have gathered in on the DIS. The picture you shared of the new back yard, we could all fit I believe. So see you in 2 weeks:jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1:

Last edited:
With our very large trip in April cancelled we also had a bunch of points both expiring banked and banked. Sigh. So I've been renting which has been interesting in these times as I've had a couple of cancellations when quarantine rules changed etc. Looking at the glass half full though the very nice thing is that for the most part there's been lots of availability so that hasn't been an issue! I remember when my plan to use them was a nice OV room at Aulani this fall or winter......

With our very large trip in April cancelled we also had a bunch of points both expiring banked and banked. Sigh. So I've been renting which has been interesting in these times as I've had a couple of cancellations when quarantine rules changed etc. Looking at the glass half full though the very nice thing is that for the most part there's been lots of availability so that hasn't been an issue! I remember when my plan to use them was a nice OV room at Aulani this fall or winter......

:hug: You're very good to work with your renters. Not everyone is being kind.

I'm not staying up on which locations are open and closed...
Is Aulani even open yet?

:hug: You're very good to work with your renters. Not everyone is being kind.

I'm not staying up on which locations are open and closed...
Is Aulani even open yet?

No, both Aulani and VGC are still closed. I believe that Hawaii might have reinstated it's 14 day quarantine upon arrival but am not certain. It was removed for awhile but you needed a clear Covid test done within 3 days before travel but now back to quarantine (too?). Haven't completely kept up on the why's of Aulani being closed.

No, both Aulani and VGC are still closed. I believe that Hawaii might have reinstated it's 14 day quarantine upon arrival but am not certain. It was removed for awhile but you needed a clear Covid test done within 3 days before travel but now back to quarantine (too?). Haven't completely kept up on the why's of Aulani being closed.

Aulani is just a victim of Hawaii's aggressive posture with COVID precautions. Oahu especially has been pretty hard hit, and the easing of restrictions they had planned for October 1 have now been put on indefinite hold.

Yes, Hawaii is enforcing a 14 day quarantine or the length of the trip, whichever is shorter. Under those circumstances, it makes no sense for Aulani to re-open until access and movement is much freer in Hawaii.

Hello to everyone and all the VWL Groupies. It has been a long while since I have stopped by to chat, and I trust you all are doing well. I do think of you from time to time. We ventured into the World late July (18th?) just after they opened the parks. We had no park tickets, FP(s) (nobody did), and no dining ressie. It was surreal to say the least. We had to wait over an hour past check-in time, maybe 5:30 p.m. and still and no room assigned. I walked back to the lodge lobby to inquire. Anyway, a little pixie dusting and we were in a two bedroom villa. And that is when I thought of my friends here and how they had stories of fabulous upgrades. It was very nice looking into the pool area and out onto bay lake.

So the reason I am here is to get a little advice. We are closing a chapter in life. My daughter is now a senior at the university and looking to start a career very soon. My wife is three years from early retirement. The school system is looking to slash salary and overhead. She signed the contract and in 2023 it is finished. I have furloughed myself at our company (Rona ain't grand?), and am letting my employees keep working. We have closed all of our contracts. Five-hundred-twenty points gone down to zero. The princess trips are a fond memory and we decided it was time to choose a new path. I am a little sad to be honest. We have purchased a second home in Aiken, SC and close the deal on 10/07 in a few weeks.

We have one last trip scheduled for Christmas. A studio checking in on 12/24 and leaving on new years day 01/01. Two of our contracts are pending as they cannot transfer the points to the new owners until this trip is over. The ROFR and and all is finished, just waiting for the points to get used. My wife would like to go to the new house over Christmas instead of WDW. MY question is will DVC allow me to change the reservation to another name? For example, can I call them and say please put "Sleepydog" on reservation, and then "rent" the points to Patrick on the side and not affect anything else in the system. Is that allowed? I don't know where or how I will find someone who is interested in the trip who is willing and able. That is another problem. I suspect the mouse will not allow it and make me cancel and then sell or surrender the points. I cannot really do that and not affect the pending sale of the contract passed ROFR.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this situation. You guys and gals are the wisest, friendliest and the most knowledge folks I know around these parts. I trust your judgment and opinions. Thanks very much and I wish you all the best. We had a nice run at the lodge, more than fourteen years. I wish it did not have to end, but we will still make trips there. Driving down from Aiken is only a day trip. I just wish they hadn't closed the Artist Point and cut all the trees down.........

greg

I hope someone ”checks” my answer, but I cannot think of a reason why you could not just change the name on the reservation. I do not think that the fact that the contract is in the process of being sold makes any difference.

Best wishes to you and your family as you enter this new and wonderful phase of life!

Bobbi :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Greg, I agree with Bobbi. If you sell the points for the particular trip you have planned, then put their name on reservation instead, all should be ok.

Just because you won't own points at WL doesn't mean you cant be a part of the groupies anymore, we dont let folks go that easy!! Just remember, we are one big family, own or not.

Agree with prior comments, that to Disney, changing names is all they really see, that and the points used. Now, as to that Sleepydog renting bit. . .god, we'd love to change that to a real-life example! Sadly, I suspect we'll both be working during that timeframe. Otherwise, you and I might be working out a deal right this moment.

As JT says, not owning points means nothing when it comes to Groupiedom. You are, have been, and always shall be a Groupie (nod to STAR TREK). Luv and I wish you well in your move and new life. At the rate we're going, you may beat us moving to SC. . .:rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter