• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning- daily safety and security room check

Sorry I did not see previous posts about this. I do it usually come into the Resort forum at all, as I have been here many times and didn’t need to ask any questions or anything. I usually only go into the Theme Park strategy board a few days before I visit to see what is new. Usually we are too Drop people and then come back to swim then back to park- so missed them the other days of my trip (until last night and this morning). But seriously- they were here at 4:00 Pm and 9:00 am. Seems excessive. Why not every other day- and for sure they should be telling people at check in. What if I were in the shower, didn’t hear they knock and walked out naked? Not really a stretch to see how that could happen.

I'm with you OP. A company that is profiting in a big way from hosting late night events also making the rounds knocking on doors at 9 AM is ridiculous.
We felt the same way then they knocked at 8:40ish.

It really depends on where you are in the rotation.

We were at the beginning. So, we got the second knock. The one bedroom next to us, got the first.

reading the other security check threads and this one - wow. What a difference from our onsite stay last Dec and for 20+ years before that. Our next trip will be the 1st one offsite - went with a DS hotel and was feeling sad to lose our "bubble". But just no way I can justify paying $13/day to leave my car in an uncovered lot when I'm paying $120+ for a motel 6 value room with tiny beds and no coffeemaker! Now reading about these inconsistencies in security check processes, I'm starting to feel a little better about bailing.

Sorry I did not see previous posts about this. I do it usually come into the Resort forum at all, as I have been here many times and didn’t need to ask any questions or anything. I usually only go into the Theme Park strategy board a few days before I visit to see what is new. Usually we are too Drop people and then come back to swim then back to park- so missed them the other days of my trip (until last night and this morning). But seriously- they were here at 4:00 Pm and 9:00 am. Seems excessive. Why not every other day- and for sure they should be telling people at check in. What if I were in the shower, didn’t hear they knock and walked out naked? Not really a stretch to see how that could happen.

In February there was a letter in my room stating that the checks were mandatory and were happening.

Given how eager everyone is to skip the front desk, there's no way they would depend on telling people then.

Question? Does this “security check” include looking through drawers, luggage, etc. or is that stuff still private? What are they looking for?

They are not supposed to go through that stuff but there was a report of items up on the closet shelf being moved and relocated etc.

It is more important than ever to use that DOOR LATCH. My trip I no longer left DS in room while I ran for ice, I made him go with me.

In February there was a letter in my room stating that the checks were mandatory and were happening.

Given how eager everyone is to skip the front desk, there's no way they would depend on telling people then.

I probably missed it or don't remember .... but I've not heard of a letter in the room warning folks. That almost makes it worse.

Are the Disney Springs hotels doing this as well?

There has been no reports of ANY hotel, of ANY other brand doing this except for the Disney hotels. It is Disney's problem.

Anybody had this at Swan & Dolphin?

After the Vegas shooting, Disney's liability lawyers decided that it would be less expensive to do room checks versus paying hundreds of millions in claims should a shooting happen on Disney property. Some guests will be upset but others will praise Disney for their caring about guest safety.

:earsboy: Bill

Ok, I don't care if they come in when we are gone, kinda rather they did.
We were at BCV last week and there was only 1 day out of 8 that the trash was not emptied. It was emptied daily (which counts as the room check) all other days. Some days it was only the kitchen trash (which is fine). We never used the “room occuped sign) and on our 2 pool days the trash removal was also while we were not in the room.

ETA: we were never in the room when they came in, and none of our items had been moved.

We also had this happen at POP. We have been staying offsite for a few years after being regular onsite guests. This really ended onsite for us. Nothing to hide but I wish they realized people need to rest. Plus, their version of knocking could announce a tornado!

Interesting that you had a letter about the room checks in the room. No letter in the 3 rooms I had in January/February. Where did you stay?

Interesting that you had a letter about the room checks in the room. No letter in the 3 rooms I had in January/February. Where did you stay?

Sports. I don't take pictures of every little thing, but I'm pretty sure there was a letter that room checks would be happening daily - and that housekeeping would suffice if I had that.

I may have dreamed the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure there was notification along with the animation/quote card on the bed.

We were at BCV last week and there was only 1 day out of 8 that the trash was not emptied. It was emptied daily (which counts as the room check) all other days. Some days it was only the kitchen trash (which is fine). We never used the “room occuped sign) and on our 2 pool days the trash removal was also while we were not in the room.

ETA: we were never in the room when they came in, and none of our items had been moved.

Glad you weren’t disturbed. I wasn’t so lucky.

Ok, I don't care if they come in when we are gone, kinda rather they did.
Yes, the people having the issues are those who are in the room getting ready and those who are sleeping/napping. I could definitely understand being irritated if you booked on property to have midday naps with babies/young children and then they wouldn't sleep after being awoken by security.

I also just learned about this policy (we haven't gone since last year and I haven't been spending time on Disboards).

The bolded is definitely a concern for me. The solution suggested has been to keep the door latched whenever you're in the room, but that's not necessarily practical for every family. We have teen/adult children and people are coming and going all the time. So if I want to avoid being walked in on by security I need to use the latch and then others in my party may be locked out if they decide to return to the room while I'm showering/dressing.

The same goes for sleeping. So, now if someone wants to leave the room while others are sleeping they have to wake someone up to latch the door when they go out and then wake someone up again to unlatch it when they return.

Constantly being vigilant about latching the door and worrying about someone walking in on you is certainly not my idea of a relaxing Disney experience. What an inconvenience just to ensure you have the basic privacy that people expect when they are travelling.

They are not supposed to go through that stuff but there was a report of items up on the closet shelf being moved and relocated etc.

It is more important than ever to use that DOOR LATCH. My trip I no longer left DS in room while I ran for ice, I made him go with me.

I probably missed it or don't remember .... but I've not heard of a letter in the room warning folks. That almost makes it worse.

There has been no reports of ANY hotel, of ANY other brand doing this except for the Disney hotels. It is Disney's problem.

Anybody had this at Swan & Dolphin?

Yes, use the door latch always every time. I am making a sign to remind me to not forget the latch and tape it to the inside of the door. Senior citizens need reminders!! And naps!!

No room check or even knocks at the Dolphin for me in January. And I opted out of HK for SPG points.

Hah! Love it!

And that hotel ... I'm going back to in September. For much less than a POP room, I get points, I get a suite, I get a wonderful breakfast cooked to order buffet, I get evening reception with appetizers and beer/wine/mixed drinks, I am in bed WAY faster than waiting for a bus for POP ................... and ....................... NO ROOM CHECKS.

After the Vegas shooting, Disney's liability lawyers decided that it would be less expensive to do room checks versus paying hundreds of millions in claims should a shooting happen on Disney property. Some guests will be upset but others will praise Disney for their caring about guest safety.

:earsboy: Bill

Yeah .... kinda like DAS came about because a rich lady hired a handicapped tour guide. Since it seems POP is security check central .... what vantage point does someone have there, will they stand out on the walkway where they can get picked off, why is it only Disney hotels worried? not the Rosens or Marriotts or Hiltons? Not even the LV hotels are doing this.

Disney has an issue that has been an issue and the LV situation gave them the perfect opportunity to implement a process to try to deal with it. How is a housekeeper/manager going to spot something that prevents a shooting. Even the LV guy kept his stuff in bags until that last time segment. They are not trained for that, they would need dogs. They can be trained to look for red flags for other things.

Yes, the people having the issues are those who are in the room getting ready and those who are sleeping/napping. I could definitely understand being irritated if you booked on property to have midday naps with babies/young children and then they wouldn't sleep after being awoken by security.

I also just learned about this policy (we haven't gone since last year and I haven't been spending time on Disboards).

The bolded is definitely a concern for me. The solution suggested has been to keep the door latched whenever you're in the room, but that's not necessarily practical for every family. We have teen/adult children and people are coming and going all the time. So if I want to avoid being walked in on by security I need to use the latch and then others in my party may be locked out if they decide to return to the room while I'm showering/dressing.

The same goes for sleeping. So, now if someone wants to leave the room while others are sleeping they have to wake someone up to latch the door when they go out and then wake someone up again to unlatch it when they return.

Constantly being vigilant about latching the door and worrying about someone walking in on you is certainly not my idea of a relaxing Disney experience. What an inconvenience just to ensure you have the basic privacy that people expect when they are travelling.

I agree with you. Only suggestion I have is to do what a DVC Rep told me in March when I called to discuss this and other issues. She said to go talk face to face with a resort manager or a HK manager to arrange the room check when you are out of the room. She also suggested taking note of the name of the manager for the purposes of follow up in case you need to.

It’s extra hoops to jump through to try and manage the timing, but worth it if it works. I am going to at least try it in October.

Last edited:
Question? Does this “security check” include looking through drawers, luggage, etc. or is that stuff still private? What are they looking for?

Disney apparently hasn’t released info on the details. It’s reported that CM’s say they have to check this or that. I do think a lot of people are gone all day, rope drop to park close types. Unfortunately, I am not that type.

Sometimes the CM stays at the door and peers in. I think I will bring our trash cans right inside the door and just hand it to them. Someone posted they did that and the CM didn’t enter the room. Might be an idea to try.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Only suggestion I have is to do what a DVC Rep told me in March when I called to discuss this and other issues. She said to go talk face to face with a resort manager or a HK manager to arrange the room check when you are out of the room. She also suggested taking note of the name of the manager for the purposes of follow up in you need to.

It’s extra hoops to jump through to try and manage the timing, but worth it if it works. I am going to at least try it in October.

I'll definitely speak to someone while there, but I think it's unlikely with the number of rooms they have to cover between housekeeping and security that they can/will coordinate times. We also probably won't ever have a consistent time when we will all be out of the room each day. So I would probably need to call at varying times every day when we are about to head to a park and say, "Hey, can you stop by and do our security check now while we're gone"

It would be a minor inconvenience if they knocked while you're in there (housekeeping has often done that anyway), but I have read many reports of security just barging in. That seems completely inappropriate to me unless there is a specific threat/concern. It would never have crossed my mind that there was a possibility of an employee at Disney entering my room while I'm in there without my consent before reading about this policy, but now it's something I have to be worried about. I would think that would make most guests very uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter