• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning- daily safety and security room check

Yes. If you are all in the room, definitely use your room latch. Security just came a few minutes ago. They knocked and walked in 2 seconds later way before I could get to the door. The man saw my daughter sleeping, apologized and left.

I agree calling every day depending on your schedule isn’t ideal. And if the rep thought that was the answer I doubt she would say to obtain the manager’s name. I too don’t mind answering if I am dressed, not showering or sleeping. I don’t want to be awakened. There’s a fairly good chance it will happen either am or afternoon.

Yes. If you are all in the room, definitely use your room latch. Security just came a few minutes ago. They knocked and walked in 2 seconds later way before I could get to the door. The man saw my daughter sleeping, apologized and left.

Two seconds is not adequate in my opinion. Sounds like he was on a mission.

Well, the security latch would have stopped him from quickly stepping into the room. At least these threads give guests info they can use to avoid situations like that in the future.

Agree with both of your points. Thanks

Well, the security latch would have stopped him from quickly stepping into the room. At least these threads give guests info they can use to avoid situations like that in the future.

My biggest problem is that I’m an early riser and everyone else sleeps til 11am. So I’m out and about while they sleep without the latch on.

I think using the room occupied sign might encourage security to wait a bit longer before entering.

- Not new, been happening since the beginning of the year.
- Happens to those who opt out of Housekeeping, those who ask housekeeping to come back later and assortment of other reasons.
- You no longer have a DND sign, read it, only tells them you are in there.
- You in there is likely an incentive for them to come look.
- New Disney way but it is not happening at other hotel brands.
- It's Disney's "problem" ...
- Went through this in January, had creepy experience.
- So in April July coming up September and January booked offsite.
- Offsite hotels have DND signs and one handed us a letter that said "use it, we WILL RESPECT your privacy" ... shade.
- Enjoy the rest of your trip, and your visitors that come in to look at you and your stuff.

And it has been reported numerous times that the minute folks have asked Housekeeping to come back, they are followed up quickly by a visit from security ... so no guarantee to no guests.

Wow! Glad I clicked on this thread. I have been out of the loop about this since we stayed at SOG on our past couple of trips. I recently booked SOG for February, but due to a marathon I was unable to book for the entire week. I was hoping to book a Disney resort for two nights with the military discount, but after reading about these 'security checks ', I may look around off site. As far as SOG goes, we have had them knock at the door late afternoon to ask if our room was cleaned, but the DND magnets are still around.

Disney apparently hasn’t released info on the details. It’s reported that CM’s say they have to check this or that. I do think a lot of people are gone all day, rope drop to park close types. Unfortunately, I am not that type.

Sometimes the CM stays at the door and peers in. I think I will bring our trash cans right inside the door and just hand it to them. Someone posted they did that and the CM didn’t enter the room. Might be an idea to try.

I’d rather be in the room. What worries me is what they are doing when people are gone as in searching through my stuff. I’m not heading back there til September 2019. I hope this stops by then.

But seriously- they were here at 4:00 Pm and 9:00 am. Seems excessive.
Possibly those are two entirely separate shifts on two different days, separated by yet a third shift?
What if I were in the shower, didn’t hear they knock and walked out naked? Not really a stretch to see how that could happen.
Is this hypothetical, or do the posters with this concern normally drop-dry in hotel rooms? No snark intended.
But just no way I can justify paying $13/day to leave my car in an uncovered lot when I'm paying $120+ for a motel 6 value room with tiny beds and no coffeemaker!
Just fyi, Pop has, and Movies (and eventually the other All Stars) is getting, only queen of king beds, and coffeemakers. This response is intended to be informative only, NOT to try to convince anyone of anything.
Plus, their version of knocking could announce a tornado!
Could it be in response to visitors who say CMs barged in?

I’d rather be in the room. What worries me is what they are doing when people are gone as in searching through my stuff. I’m not heading back there til September 2019. I hope this stops by then.

I've not seen any recordings of them going through stuff. I strongly suspect they would only do that if something appeared suspicious. If you're that paranoid, get a camera to record the room the whole time you're out. (Though that would likely arouse more suspicion than just whining about the searching.)

In February at Sports, I left anything that needed to be secured but didn't fit in the safe (like my laptop) in my luggage and locked it and left it in the open. Never moved and never had anyone say "Hey, we need to look in your suitcase, so leave it unlocked."

And in the vein of giving guests info, since I knew my room would be entered daily during my last DVC stay, I left a note requesting caffeinated coffee refills when I ran out, and I received several packets.

I've not seen any recordings of them going through stuff. I strongly suspect they would only do that if something appeared suspicious. If you're that paranoid, get a camera to record the room the whole time you're out. (Though that would likely arouse more suspicion than just whining about the searching.)

In February at Sports, I left anything that needed to be secured but didn't fit in the safe (like my laptop) in my luggage and locked it and left it in the open. Never moved and never had anyone say "Hey, we need to look in your suitcase, so leave it unlocked."

Not paranoid. Just would rather people not touch my stuff. But if they must they must I guess??????? No whining here.:confused3

I've stayed at several Dis hotels, different levels of hotels, since this started and haven't had an issue. The keys to a smooth stay seem to be not declining housekeeping, and knowing that if you go back to the room and it hasn't been cleaned, someone will be coming and that will probably be the housekeeper. If you hang a sign out, sometimes housekeeping will knock, or sometimes it will be security, some places will call you if your sign is out and set up a time to come do a room check. Keep the latch thrown, and lock the "deadbolt" if you are worried about someone walking in.

I don't have a problem with the room checks, between gunman and sex trafficking, if it can stop or scare off one heinous human, it's worth it. I do actually trust that Disney has a good reason for doing this, as they are much more "read in on" threats and chatter than the general population. Some don't like it, and that's ok, there are plenty of other competitor hotels in the area people can choose, but every hotel has a right to come into the room.

Not paranoid. Just would rather people not touch my stuff. But if they must they must I guess??????? No whining here.:confused3

Not necessarily you, but a lot of people on here are.

If I was running security, I'd be FAR more interested in the people who were complaining about it and trying to figure out when they'd be in the room (or trying to schedule a time) than people who went with the flow.

And as I said, I saw nothing to indicate that they "touched my stuff". Nothing was out of place or moved from where it has been. And unless they've hired the best burglars around, things would not be in their exact places.

Or - you know - suitcase locks. :D

We are going in two weeks with our 8 month old, so I envision naps in the afternoon (if it turns out she doesn't want to nap in her stroller). Think it'd be overkill to make a "Baby napping" sign to take and put out along with the Room Occupied sign?

Not necessarily you, but a lot of people on here are.

If I was running security, I'd be FAR more interested in the people who were complaining about it and trying to figure out when they'd be in the room (or trying to schedule a time) than people who went with the flow.

And as I said, I saw nothing to indicate that they "touched my stuff". Nothing was out of place or moved from where it has been. And unless they've hired the best burglars around, things would not be in their exact places.

Or - you know - suitcase locks. :D

That’s funny. If I was security I’d be interested in why someone was locking their suitcase if I was looking for what I think they are looking for.

I will definitely go with the flow as I am not one to complain... in person :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter