Warning- daily safety and security room check

So if it's not for "security" (because I agree it wouldn't catch a repeat of Vegas) what is it for?

Could be anything really. Could be a combination of multiple reasons, including security/liability reduction. Maybe part of it is making sure more people aren't staying in rooms than are registered. Maybe it is making sure people are not circumventing the pet policy. Maybe they have found it easier to keep up with maintenance/damage issues if they know about it during the stay, before the guest checks out. Who knows?

The point is, that the timing of the policy relative relative to the Las Vegas shooting may have been coincidental, or even convenience as maybe it gave WDW a convenient reason to implement a policy that they had already been thinking about.

What would you do about the resort buses? It is not out of the question for someone to take a bus or boat to Disney Springs, or over to the Boardwalk, and go off Disney property. How do you keep the people on the buses, and their bags, screened?

Good point, you are right. This is why there's no 100% fool proof way to both provide effective security while simultaneously not disturbing some people at some point.

I don't think its possible to not disturb every guest, every day. Even before the security checks there would be disruptions or interruptions with housekeeping. That is the nature of the hotel business and it happens everywhere, not just at Disney. I think though that there has to be a level of reasonableness. It seems many of the biggest complaints are the time of day and the way in which the Disney staff is knocking and entering. There is no reason why they can't wait until a reasonable hour (say 9am to start room checks....I follow the rule that you don't call anyone before 9am or after 9pm, so that sounds like a good start for me, others may disagree)...and you can't really say that if they have scheduled times that it ruins the surprise because we know they aren't doing the checks in the middle of the night. Also, while security has a job to do, they need to be courteous of the guests that are paying their salary. Don't come banging on doors and barging into rooms with little notice or time for the guest to react.

As far as time of day, that's going to be subjective. My town has a noise ordinance that's in effect from 11pm-7am. 11pm seems late and 7am seems early, but that's what they think is reasonable. Some guests are complaining about 1pm disturbances because of naps, so there's not a time that's going to work for every single person. From what I've heard, the checks have been occurring after 8am which I find reasonable when parks open at 9am. Sure, some people are sleeping in past that time but that number is akin to the amount of people who take afternoon naps during which they don't want to be disturbed either. They can't please everyone with the times they choose, and they have a lot of rooms to get through.

As far as the way which Disney staff is knocking and entering, I think that's subjective also and open to interpretation by each guest. Those whose sleep is interrupted are inclined to be annoyed regardless of whether the housekeeper politely knocks and waits, or knocks loudly and tries to enter a few seconds later. They won't get very far if the latch is on, so you'd still have to walk over to the door to open it anyhow.

Lastly, scheduled times actually will ruin the element of surprise. Sure, they won't happen during the night, but if someone is doing or planning something illegal in the room, knowing a person can pop in at any time come morning would hopefully be enough of a deterrent.

I would be curious to know the actual % of guests that are upset over these security checks. People are more likely to complain about bad experiences than share good. Time will only tell if this change plus other changes will hurt their bottom line or not.

Agree completely. The fact that there hasn't seemingly been an adjustment tells me the most visitors either don't know its happening, they deal with it, or they don't think about it again after the CM leaves and they move on with their vacation.

So if it's not for "security" (because I agree it wouldn't catch a repeat of Vegas) what is it for?

I think some part of this is for security - maybe not to fully prevent terrorists or mass attacks, but other illegal activity like trafficking as has been discussed. Drugs or weapons could also be found.

In addition, I think some part of this could be to make sure everyone is adhering to resort policies i.e. not destroying or smoking in the room, not sneaking in 2-3 dogs when you say you have 1, not sneaking in extra people to avoid extra persons charges, etc. For years, people have put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door for the week they were there with no staff entering, and this prevents that. Having worked in hotels before, people do weird things in the room which can put them out of inventory for a while once they leave. I would think the checks help deter that, or catch it earlier.

Disney will never tell us the purpose or what they're glancing in the room for. Its intentionally ambiguous.

This is by far the best suggestion so far! :worship:

And if no FP, no room check! That would save Disney $$!
I don't see how this makes sense. Last-minute, uninformed, anti-planning, and go with the flow resort guests don't get room checks, but everyone else does? :confused3

Well, according to Disney, checks of DVC rooms is to provide a benefit to guests. They bill it as a trash day.

I wonder what they will do if when they knock, I thank them and tell them that I don't have trash.

Excellent question. And someone reported they handed their trash out to the HK at the door. I didn’t think about trying that back in February but I left a note addressed to HK/security one day asking for coffee refills and departed. They left the coffee, emptied the kitchen can, and left the other trash cans be. I left a tip. No idea what kind of staff actually showed up that day. But they accepted the tip

Skimmed through some pages on this thread so I am not sure that someone hasn’t mentioned this yet but do you think Disney would ever implement a program similar to TSA pre check? Enrollment fee per year and background check and then you would be able to enjoy your vacation free of the daily security check?

Maybe even add a pre check line to the park’s security?

Skimmed through some pages on this thread so I am not sure that someone hasn’t mentioned this yet but do you think Disney would ever implement a program similar to TSA pre check? Enrollment fee per year and background check and then you would be able to enjoy your vacation free of the daily security check?

Maybe even add a pre check line to the park’s security?

Interesting suggestions. Only posts I have read here I think were digs at TSA in general, nothing specific about precheck.

My thinking is they don't let you say "I sleep late/do rope drop so don't come before this time etc." because if you were a bad guy who wanted to stockpile guns in your room, Disney doesn't want you know what times they WON'T maybe come into your room.

EG, if I was a bad guy, I'd request to not be disturbed before 10 a.m., and then make sure I have all my guns ready to fire by 9:45.

As for why Disney is doing all this? Liability. If another Las Vegas happens, they want to be able to prove in court that they did everything reasonable to prevent the tragedy. That's all it is.

I think it's just the way Disney is doing it. At Universal they have a sign at the front desk saying how they will check your room once a day. Disney has no such sign and many guests don't even know these checks are happening. And no one seems to be bothered by these checks at Universal, I don't know if less people go back for afternoon naps there, but we spent a lot of time in the room the last two times I went and never experienced anyone bothering us.

Absolutely not my experience. When we were there in April, there was no sign at RPR (at least not that I saw). They also had actual Do Not Disturb signs in the rooms and anytime a bellhop or anyone came to the room while we were there, they stood in the hall and asked permission to enter the room.

As for why Disney is doing all this? Liability. If another Las Vegas happens, they want to be able to prove in court that they did everything reasonable to prevent the tragedy. That's all it is.

I think you are right about proving things in court. Not sure how convincing DVC trash removal would sound in court. Hope we will never find out.

Absolutely not my experience. When we were there in April, there was no sign at RPR (at least not that I saw). They also had actual Do Not Disturb signs in the rooms and anytime a bellhop or anyone came to the room while we were there, they stood in the hall and asked permission to enter the room.

Same for me at the Dolphin this year. DNR sign on door. As a counterpoint to Disney room checks, Dolphin Maintenance person not even allowed to knock when I called to request they bring a new tv remote because I accidentally had the DNR sign up. Not. even. allowed. to. knock.

I'm suprised they don't have people's initial 3 FP played out. Put it in 2 groups: those before 12pm and those after. Sure people change FP all the time but it may help initially figure out when the resort could assume guests were not in the room. Sorta the first thought that comes to mind.
That could potentially work. But, we're a family who rope drops and then has a midday break (and nap)... Should our room get priority because we're generally done with breakfast and out to the buses by 8a-815a?

I don't mind that they're doing a security check, but it would be nice to know what time frame they'd be by.

Maybe the room checks there are new? I saw it when I went in July and August. My room also had the do not disturb which was honored.

Same for me at the Dolphin this year. DNR sign on door. As a counterpoint to Disney room checks, Dolphin Maintenance person not even allowed to knock when I called to request they bring a new tv remote because I accidentally had the DNR sign up. Not. even. allowed. to. knock.

That seems annoying. Did you have to stand at the door until you heard him?

That seems annoying. Did you have to stand at the door until you heard him?

Nope. I was waiting for him, opened the door and there he was waiting outside. That’s when he explained he was not allowed to knock if the DNR sign was up. I really felt dumb but was glad I opened the door and grateful he waited a minute or two rather than immediately take off. He got a nice tip.

Nope. I was waiting for him, opened the door and there he was waiting outside. That’s when he explained he was not allowed to knock if the DNR sign was up. I really felt dumb but was glad I opened the door and grateful he waited a minute or two rather than immediately take off. He got a nice tip.

Yes- when we ordered room service at the Hard Rock hotel, the y reminded me to make sure our DND sign was not up as they would not knock upon delivery if it was up. Wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter