Warning- daily safety and security room check

I just use the latch and that way I won't have to worry about them coming in when I am in the shower or bathroom. When we were there in February they just looked around the room and left. I use the safe for my laptop and anything I don't want messed with. If they wake me up early, I just go back to sleep no biggie.

I agree, using the security latch is crucial, and should be done for safety and privacy really at every hotel. It doesn’t prevent you or your kids being potentially awakened by a knock on the door as per a real DND but it seems Disney is no longer inclined to take that into consideration. That ship has sailed. Rest up before or after staying at a Disney resort.

When we were there in February they just looked around the room and left.

And this is the problem Disney is going to run into if there ever IS a shooting at the parks - as a security measure, this new policy is completely inadequate.

Someone stockpiling weapons could hide them in a closet, under the bed, in the cabinets in the bathroom, heck, hide them under the covers of the bed...the CM would never find them because they don't look. They just come in, glance around, and leave.

If there's a shooting, Disney is going to be asked in court "Did you take reasonable measures to protect your guests?" Disney will say "Yes," and then the prosecution will bring up a dozen witnesses who will testify that A. the CM wasn't a member of any type of security and thus wasn't even qualified to do a thorough search or act if they saw something suspicious and B. the CM didn't even search the room, just 'glanced around and left'. There could be a bag full of guns sitting on the bed and the CM probably wouldn't even look at it twice.

So really, this whole thing is pointless. It's not a thorough enough search to be "security", and it doesn't accomplish any other purpose. It's just a lame attempt by Disney to cover their butts if something happens.

And this is the problem Disney is going to run into if there ever IS a shooting at the parks - as a security measure, this new policy is completely inadequate.

Someone stockpiling weapons could hide them in a closet, under the bed, in the cabinets in the bathroom, heck, hide them under the covers of the bed...the CM would never find them because they don't look. They just come in, glance around, and leave.

If there's a shooting, Disney is going to be asked in court "Did you take reasonable measures to protect your guests?" Disney will say "Yes," and then the prosecution will bring up a dozen witnesses who will testify that A. the CM wasn't a member of any type of security and thus wasn't even qualified to do a thorough search or act if they saw something suspicious and B. the CM didn't even search the room, just 'glanced around and left'. There could be a bag full of guns sitting on the bed and the CM probably wouldn't even look at it twice.

So really, this whole thing is pointless. It's not a thorough enough search to be "security", and it doesn't accomplish any other purpose. It's just a lame attempt by Disney to cover their butts if something happens.
Bingo
Like I said in a couple of other posts, it's all for show and to give the general person a warm fuzzy feeling.
Complete joke as far as true security goes

Bingo
Like I said in a couple of other posts, it's all for show and to give the general person a warm fuzzy feeling.
Complete joke as far as true security goes

Yep pretty much.

I agree, using the security latch is crucial, and should be done for safety and privacy really at every hotel. It doesn’t prevent you or your kids being potentially awakened by a knock on the door as per a real DND but it seems Disney is no longer inclined to take that into consideration. That ship has sailed. Rest up before or after staying at a Disney resort.
Which Disney resorts have you visited since the daily room check policy was instituted? Were all of your experiences bad, or just stays at particular resorts?

Which Disney resorts have you visited since the daily room check policy was instituted? Were all of your experiences bad, or just stays at particular resorts?

3 resorts, poly DVC only one night, BCV 2 nights, BWV boardwalk view 6 nights. All nights solo. My issue was at BWV, home resort.

Going back next month, to celebrate milestone stuff with my husband for a longer stay. It was hard to talk him into going (saving grace was the food and wine festival stuff) so I am hoping for a better experience. We won’t be leaving the room early and we also take breaks since we are seniors.

Thanks for asking!

3 resorts, poly DVC only one night, BCV 2 nights, BWV boardwalk view 6 nights. All nights solo. My issue was at BWV, home resort.

Going back next month, to celebrate milestone stuff with my husband for a longer stay. It was hard to talk him into going (saving grace was the food and wine festival stuff) so I am hoping for a better experience. We won’t be leaving the room early and we also take breaks since we are seniors.

Thanks for asking!
Thanks for answering! We're going to have six adults in three studios at Saratoga Springs next month. My daughter and her husband just found out they are expecting, so afternoon naps may definitely be in the picture!

The problem with this hypothetical is trying to connect a shooting at the parks to the room checks. It completely ignores the actual security checkpoints that one would go through before entering the parks - bag searches and metal detectors. So if there is a shooting at the parks, the room checks are not likely going to be the focus of the testimony. It will be on the security measures that are used before you enter and inside the parks. And at any rate, Disney's liability for a shooting on property, whether in the park or elsewhere is going to be judged against "industry standards". Did their level of security fall below what would be reasonably expected in the industry. Since, as many have pointed out, room checks are above what a lot of hotels are doing, even if they are not thorough as they could be.

Thanks for answering! We're going to have six adults in three studios at Saratoga Springs next month. My daughter and her husband just found out they are expecting, so afternoon naps may definitely be in the picture!

How very exciting! Great way to celebrate the happy occasion. Is it you first grandchild? Hope all in your party have a wonderful time and many undisturbed naps! I hope to be in your shoes some day before I am old gray. Wait, I am old and gray!

How very exciting! Great way to celebrate the happy occasion. Is it you first grandchild? Hope all in your party have a wonderful time and many undisturbed naps! I hope to be in your shoes some day before I am old gray. Wait, I am old and gray!
It is our first grandchild, although I’m clearly too young to be a grandma lol! Thanks for the good wishes.

It's very nice for you that you're able to do this. :thumbsup2

But some other people can't go back to sleep after being awakened too early in the morning (or for that matter, from a nap, either).

You are so right. There is a recent post in the guest experience sticky thread about someone who uses a CPAP machine awakened from a nap. It was eye opening and I am aggravated at myself for not thinking what impact a similar incident would be for my DH at Disney. He uses a CPAP and even though it’s been 14 years since he was diagnosed with extreme sleep apnea, he still struggles to go to sleep with the mask on. He’s lost the weight he needed to and maintained the weight loss, but unfortunately the CPAP is non negotiable. I am hoping to speak to someone at the resort who will understand and be willing to let us organize room checks to not coincide with sleeping in or naps. We buy our distilled water for the CPAP in the resort store each trip. It will be a trigger for me to bring it up with a manager.

I'm going to hope for the best when we're there in November. We'll be out early and at the parks until mid-afternoon most days, so as long as they do checks then I won't even notice. My real worry is the nap situation. Part of my son's genetic disorder is a sleep disorder that leads to him taking an afternoon nap. If he doesn't get that nap because they knock and wake him, he's going to have a miserable trip and be unable to enjoy time in the parks. If they aren't going to offer and respect DND signs, then they really should at least let you choose a housekeeping/security time window. There could be a way to indicate it on your door each day with the date next to it and maybe a choice of 8-12, 12-4, or 4-8. I'm going to request morning housekeeping when we arrive, so I'm hoping they'll make that happen.

If they aren't going to offer and respect DND signs, then they really should at least let you choose a housekeeping/security time window.
No DND signs, not for more than 2/3 of a year. Room Occupied, which is merely a courtesy to let CMs know somebody is IN the room, and on which is printed a notice to the effect that Disney may enter the room at any time.

I'm going to hope for the best when we're there in November. We'll be out early and at the parks until mid-afternoon most days, so as long as they do checks then I won't even notice. My real worry is the nap situation. Part of my son's genetic disorder is a sleep disorder that leads to him taking an afternoon nap. If he doesn't get that nap because they knock and wake him, he's going to have a miserable trip and be unable to enjoy time in the parks. If they aren't going to offer and respect DND signs, then they really should at least let you choose a housekeeping/security time window. There could be a way to indicate it on your door each day with the date next to it and maybe a choice of 8-12, 12-4, or 4-8. I'm going to request morning housekeeping when we arrive, so I'm hoping they'll make that happen.
In my view, if a guest has a chronic or congenital medical condition, the minimum decent thing to do from the Disney point of view would be to honor reasonable requests of servicing/checking the room as you laid out here. Good basic business and PR practice too. Personally I would be willing to provide documentation of the medical need. Unfortunately, I would not depend on the info being passed down to the front line CM who is serving/checking the room. I wish it were different. In your case in November, I would meet face to face with a HK and resort manager to explain your son’s situation. Take down their names and give them feedback as to what occurs, whether positive or negative. From my years of working in the assistive devices disability field, I personally think having to detail your medical needs to manage the timing of room checks is detrimental to the individual’s dignity, but if doing so enables your son to have an enjoyable trip, so be it. I hope your son and your family has a wonderful trip.

Unfortunately I can't see any sort of accommodation being guaranteed. First off there are too many ways for it to be messed up. Second you then have the problem of people claiming a need for an exemption or set time when one is not truly needed.

It is sad if guests will have to justify wanting uninterrupted sleep in their own very expensive hotel room.

Or uninterrupted anything. DH is semi-retired now but previously has had to return to room to work, on computer, lengthy phone calls etc. I know others who are required to work during vacations as well. I can only imagine how DH would have reacted to a non negotiable room check visit. Luckily that shipped has sailed.

Now taking trash, checking non-existing problems in the room, whatever reason the CM gives outweighs legit guest in room activities.

When I am in the bath room with the ever loving security lock engaged to the hallway and RO sign on door, and CM’s come knocking, both neighboring guests and I will enjoy when I have to call out, in a voice loud enough to reach the door to the hallway, can you please come back later, I am otherwise occupied. I foresee a pretty good chance I might disturb other guests but what other choice do I have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter